• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

Don't know why it would suddenly be a problem. Maybe the network is having issues and it's constantly searching for 4G service? Try turning 4G off for a day or something and see how it helps. Also, I recommend you install BetterBatteryStats and watch the processes.

Thanks. Yeah, I don't know why it would suddenly be a problem either. I've turned off data networks, and the phone seems much cooler and is charging much more quickly. I installed the Battery Monitor Widget, which seems similar.

I wonder whether I might benefit from a factory reset.

Ashhong

Thanks. Yeah, I don't know why it would suddenly be a problem either. I've turned off data networks, and the phone seems much cooler and is charging much more quickly. I installed the Battery Monitor Widget, which seems similar.

BBS is alot more detailed. It will tell you exactly what processes are waking your phone and for how long.

oh, ok. i asked because there's an issue with the G2x because of the way it pulls power from them HDMI port and some phones have gotten bricked due to it and other exhibit that 'battery draining really fast' behavior after the phone going bad due to something inside getting damaged. the only fix for that is a hardware replacement.

liger05

a day for a sim swap? they dont just have a pile of them there? It took me under 45 seconds at ATT a few months ago.

Cos it's a new contract saying my details haven't hit the online system yet so gotta wait 24 hours. Load of bs and over two days this one store has fucked me around.

So I decided to be a cheapskate and ordered a One S. £130 for the update, on my existing £15 a month 300min/300text/internet stuff.

I am excite.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
KULfel.jpg

Black is beautiful y'all

Korey

Asking here since nobody will help me in the Windows Phone thread.

Anyone have good recommendations for manufacturers of:

1) Screen protector - As invisible as possible, no orange peel effect

2) Case/skin - Looking for the best protection for the least added bulk

Ashhong

Asking here since nobody will help me in the Windows Phone thread.

Anyone have good recommendations for manufacturers of:

1) Screen protector - As invisible as possible, no orange peel effect

2) Case/skin - Looking for the best protection for the least added bulk

1. I've been using Bodyguardz for like, 5 years now since iPhone1. I have no complaints for the screen protector. The body parts are kinda hard to apply, but the screen protector is great stuff. The original "ultratough" I think it's called now.

2. Incipio NGP is pretty nice and minimal bulk

http://www.incipio.com/

3phemeral

Should have kept the original, short-bodied version. I guess it didn't have enough attitude.

J9xjd.png

Kodama Cyanogenmod logo > new new one.

I'm surprised it didn't have an angled baseball cap.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so im planning on either getting a galaxy s3 or one X by the end of may. have the advantages of quad core vs dual core mobile processors been apparent in the past few months? are quad core phones noticeably zippier or better for gaming? or anything?

yogloo

Here's a screenshot of my battery use, in case that gives anyone ideas.

2012-04-05130914.png

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1290020
The battery killing suspend bug I posted about awhile ago. Here's hoping sharing this helps people with the bug. It's so annoying that google/samsung/whoever won't do anything about it at all.

Might be related. Try updating your kernel to custom kernel. Fixed mine.

Opps. Link is dead.

Here's a working link.
Read about it
It does not affect just samsung phones or any particular. What's troubling is that even a reset won't fix this. It's pretty random too on who had it.

Al-ibn Kermit

so im planning on either getting a galaxy s3 or one X by the end of may. have the advantages of quad core vs dual core mobile processors been apparent in the past few months? are quad core phones noticeably zippier or better for gaming? or anything?

I think quad core has in theory battery life than a similarly powerful dual core. The problem is that not a lot of programs are optimized for 4 cores.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The white HTC One X (or XL if/when it comes to Telstra) is really, really tempting - I'm coming up to the end of a contract with my iPhone 4. While I like the phone, the home button is busted and I really don't wanna pay to fix it so I'm holding out with a software-assistive virtual button. Horrible. Anyway, wondering if anyone has some time to answer my questions.

Now, bear with me, I've been in Apple's warm embrace for a few years..

I (incorrectly) thought there was no way to get music on the phone wirelessly without Google Music... but someone mentioned 7digital, who I've used before and they were pretty awesome and cheap, especially when compared to Oz prices. If i buy from them, can I just download direct and copy the songs to my computer/NAS? I'd probably go with something like Rdio eventually but wanted to see what my options are for my own music. Could i just grab a few gigs of music off my NAS over wifi at home, throw them in a folder and then play them in a music app?

My other concern is battery life - some people have mentioned it's not great on HTC's phones but I'm not really a power user as such and I could have it plugged in via usb a lot. My iPhone 4 hasn't been that hot in that regard anyway so it's not a huge issue, but - is it awful for regular use? Honestly?

Thanks.

Donos

For me it's only uphill with batterylife. I have a Desire HD with a 4.3 screen and a laughable 1200mah battery (wtf htc, wtf) and i managed to always get a day with intense use (no games or videos but alot of browsing, emails, IM, music player and ebook reading etc.). I also use a widget (Dazzle) to easy change my screen brigthness from very low/mid/full. Mid is fine for the day.

So 1600/1800 will last me even longer.for emergency's i had my ebay 10€ no-name replacement battery. so i give a big fuck you to htc for removing replaceable batteries (and micro sd - 2 things alot of people choose android over iphone for).
So samsung can make it right with a replaceable battery > 1800) and microSD slot for the GS3 and would have two easy PRO's over OneX/OneS

@ julls: for regular use you are really save. and don't let first impressions of the battery life get to you. It gets always better after the initial first few charges.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
@ julls: for regular use you are really save. and don't let first impressions of the battery life get to you. It gets always better after the initial first few charges.
Great, thanks. I had similar when I first got the 4. I almost never watch videos or play games on the phone - usually the iPad/Vita for those, so Im happy if it is fine for "regular" phone stuff.

Donos

about the battery concerns with the quad core, if find NVidias "Plus 1" solution interesting. From engadget:
(...) NVIDIA's quad-core Tegra 3 chip, offering four cores running at 1.5GHz and an additional "PLUS-1" core that functions at reduced clock speeds in an effort to preserve battery life.

Let's see how this turns out in real life testing enviroment.

Kraftwerk

I'm a total noob to this, so I need help :0

I just got a Note - I FUCKING LOVE IT - and I would like to install a theme on it.

Simple flash the .zip file in CWM over stock Rom, after install, wipe cache/dalvik. If you are on my other theme mod simple flash over and wipe dalvik/cache.

How do I do this? Sorry if there is a guide in here...I did some googling and got really confused. So many version and shit.

Doopliss

I'm a total noob to this, so I need help :0

I just got a Note - I FUCKING LOVE IT - and I would like to install a theme on it.

How do I do this? Sorry if there is a guide in here...I did some googling and got really confused. So many version and shit.
You need to get ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery onto your phone. Check the development section of the Note forum on XDA, there's probably a kernel you can flash which has it included.

yogloo

Use cpuspy and watchdog lite to monitor your processes and confirm whether it is the suspend bug. Watchdog is very useful that when one of your process goes batshit crazy and starts eating of battery on standby, it will alert you.

While cpuspy is useful to check whether your phone is properly going to sleep. Sometimes a badly coded app or bugs may prevent it from going to deep sleep which will kill your battery.

Here's hoping you find a fix asap. It was frustrating when it happened to me.

Pctx

Banned
Am I the only one that doesn't think the One X is that great of a phone? Who knows, maybe I need to see it in person.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Am I the only one that doesn't think the One X is that great of a phone? Who knows, maybe I need to see it in person.

No. I'm also unimpressed. It's not a big enough leap forward of what's currently out, IMO.

JWong

Banned
One X edges it out by a very slim margin. Both have amazing color and sharpness, but the X beats it out because of better viewing angles, size and less color banding.

Therefore if one doesn't care about viewing angles, the Xperia is better.

~shuffles away~

Circle T

and where does Super AMOLED come into that?

The Galaxy Nexus is the only comparable SAMOLED display to those two at this point, and given its Pentile setup, I would imagine it is not quite as sharp. I really like the Nexus, but I have no doubt those other two have crisper displays. We'll have to wait and see if the mythical GSIII has a HD SAMOLED+ display to really compete.

*Edit* - Completely unrelated, I just noticed that overnight the Google Voice favicon has changed colors. It is a darker shade of blue now. Last time this happened, the app was also updated shortly thereafter.

Got both black and white one X (his n hers lol) i prefer the black as the camera bit doesnt look as noticable on it, still nothing a decent case wont hide. The speed and the display makes my SG2 cry, it feels a big improvement over it in just about every area, battery not to bad at about 75% after 8 Hrs without charge.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What more are you expecting?

Nothing in particular. A generational leap somehow, I guess. The One X is just a more beefed-up phone. It's nice, but I'm not floored like so many seem to be. I think it represents more of HTC being back in the game.

gcubed

Nothing in particular. A generational leap somehow, I guess. The One X is just a more beefed-up phone. It's nice, but I'm not floored like so many seem to be. I think it represents more of HTC being back in the game.

yeah, i'm excited because it seems HTC is back...

also i find it humorous that this is the first time that the "step back to support LTE" actually may result in a better phone (The snapdragon S4 vs the Tegra 3). Have there been any vs benchmarks?

yeah, i'm excited because it seems HTC is back...

also i find it humorous that this is the first time that the "step back to support LTE" actually may result in a better phone (The snapdragon S4 vs the Tegra 3). Have there been any vs benchmarks?

from the various different websites and Youtube videos i've looked at the only Benchmark the Tegra 3 beat Krait in is AnTuTu. BrowserMark, Linpack, Quadrant, GL Bench, etc all went Krait. Smartbench was a split, Tegra had a higher Productivity score and Krait had a higher Gaming score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom