• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

I'm really liking Fenix so far. Talon is obviously way more feature rich, but Fenix wins in pure simpleness. I like them both quite a bit, but I'll try out Fenix for a while.

When did Google update the store page for apps in the Play Store app?

screenshot_2014-08-13n7ubl.png
screenshot_2014-08-13jlu99.png

I love it.

JoeFu

Banned
When did Google update the store page for apps in the Play Store app?

screenshot_2014-08-13n7ubl.png
screenshot_2014-08-13jlu99.png

I love it.

I remember seeing stuff posted about it from androidpolice?

Anyways I just got that yesterday and it confused the crap out of me. The storefront is still the same though which is jarring when you go back to it.

Why the hell does Dolphin want access to my device I'd and call information all of the sudden? It's not even explained on the store page.

Samsung GALAXY ALPHA "Just Alpha" Official Video: Hey bro I'm so alpha it hurts

And in case you hadn't noticed that this video is showing aspirational shit and our product is related to being aspirational let me bludgeon it into you with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

The Verge said:
After much speculation, Samsung has today announced the Galaxy Alpha, a smartphone with a metal frame. The Alpha is an ultra-thin (6.7mm) Android phone with a 4.7-inch 720p display, 12-megapixel camera, a fairly small 1,860mAh battery, and (depending on your region) a quad- or octa-core processor. It'll be available in September, but Samsung has yet to announce pricing.

Perhaps more interesting than the phone itself is the news that the Alpha's design will trickle down and up to Samsung's other phones. Samsung calls the phone "the evolution of Galaxy Design," adding that it showcases a "new design approach" for the company. That approach involves flat metal sides with chamfered edges, and not much else. The overall shape of the device isn't so different from the Galaxy S5, and the Alpha retains the S5's dimpled, removable back cover. The approach will allow Samsung to push out devices in a range of colors with minimal expense, and true to form the Alpha will be available at launch in black, white, gold, and blue.

The move to more premium materials isn't unexpected. Amid growing concern that the company is losing its grip on the market, Samsung Mobile's senior vice president Kim Hyun-joon recently told investors to expect a device made from "new materials" soon. Samsung's "new design approach" may not be as bold or beautiful as some would want, but it's an indication that the company is at least taking design more seriously. If early leaks are to be believed, we'll see more of Samsung's fresh design when the new Galaxy Note is announced on September 3rd.

linkboy

Finally was able to convince the wife to let me get a Nexus 5 and I freaking love it. Damn thing is so much lighter than my Nexus 4.

Popped the L preview on it and this thing just flies (much smoother than the Nexus 4 port).

Why the hell does Dolphin want access to my device I'd and call information all of the sudden? It's not even explained on the store page.

They must still send all personal information to that Russian data company. It's why I uninstalled it. I wouldn't touch Dolphin with a barge pole, Boat browser is good and of course the stock Android browser. Boat uses the stock rendering engine with a different wrapper, the UI is a bit clunky but it works well.

Volotaire

The Zoe functionality will be available as an app for other Android phones soon.

The Zoe app will be launched by HTC Creative Labs, a separate business unit that HTC set up not long ago. Led by Drew Bamford, HTC Creative Labs consists of 260 HTC employees based in Seattle, San Francisco, and Taipei. Essentially, this is HTC’s software arm that could help the company better compete with giants like Apple and Samsung.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-Zoe-will-be-available-to-non-HTC-smartphones-this-week_id59277

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICqKje1z1Y

Oh shit. Microsoft is working on inking support in OneNote for Android! Fuck, I might ditch the imaginary Surface Mini for a product that actually exists, like the Galaxy Note 8.0! I hope Samsung refreshes the 8.0 at IFA, too. This is so exciting!

People don't like the ads in stream, and third party apps have better list management, muting controls, etc.

Plus there's a lot of UI variance.

I understand, thanks. Personally, I'm okay with the layout in the official app. I'm not a power user and mainly just browse through my feed. I'm actually kinda sad that it has replaced Feedly as my news source, but Feedly takes too much time. Speaking of which, what's the best Feedly client? I'm basically just looking for a Reeder clone on Android.

Quasar

I understand, thanks. Personally, I'm okay with the layout in the official app. I'm not a power user and mainly just browse through my feed. I'm actually kinda sad that it has replaced Feedly as my news source, but Feedly takes too much time. Speaking of which, what's the best Feedly client? I'm basically just looking for a Reeder clone on Android.

Too much time? what do you mean? to load?

Furyous

If this comes with an SD card slot then I'll take the money I saved for an unlocked G3 and strongly consider putting it towards this. The G3 is calling my name wistfully. The screen isn't the greatest, the device over heats from time to time, and it's entirely possible it's two years early but I want one. It's 90 percent screen! I reserve the right to change my mind.

Why in the world did Samsung include a camera capable of taking 4K video but exclude SD card support? They can keep their 720p display.

hitsugi

I've been using Carbon for my twitter needs.. surprised to not see more recommendations for it. What don't people like about it?

Too much time? what do you mean? to load?

No, no. It takes me too much time to go through all news reports, if I don't check it every few hours. And I'm not happy if the unread news count is at 0. But skipping it few days makes it almost impossible to catch up and glance through everything (easily over 2000 items). I might reset the unread count, if there's a good app like Reeder on iOS. It really annoys me that the official app doesn't have a proper mobilizer for the content and just opens the website.

linkboy

That's not super big though. Wasn't the whole point they it was gonna be Galaxy Note sized ergo the code name Shamu? 5.2 is normal.

The rumor was that it was going to be a phablet. Personally, I think 5.2 is the right size for a phone.

I just picked up a Nexus 5 and I don't need anything bigger.

Nicktendo86

The rumor was that it was going to be a phablet. Personally, I think 5.2 is the right size for a phone.

I just picked up a Nexus 5 and I don't need anything bigger.
5.2 would be perfect for me. Hope the rumours are true, my upgrade isn't until June but I can wait.

reKon

Banned
If this comes with an SD card slot then I'll take the money I saved for an unlocked G3 and strongly consider putting it towards this. The G3 is calling my name wistfully. The screen isn't the greatest, the device over heats from time to time, and it's entirely possible it's two years early but I want one. It's 90 percent screen! I reserve the right to change my mind.

Why in the world did Samsung include a camera capable of taking 4K video but exclude SD card support? They can keep their 720p display.

It won't. Funny how I see we still see this request today. You must be new to Nexus devices, lol.

linkboy

How much longer will Google support the nexus 5

Hell, they're still supporting the 4 (it's confirmed to get L when it releases).

The main reason why the Galaxy S didn't get Kit Kat was due to Texas Instruments dropping out of the mobile CPU market. Qualcomm, on the other hand, isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

1 more year. I think they have an 18 month support clause.

They do, but it's not really a hard date. The Nexus 4 will be well past that window when L releases.

Drifters

Yum!

The Nexus One may be the right phone for you.

MarkusRJR

Wow the new update makes Xbox Music on android actually work. Before that it refused to play anything on my android phone. I still have 6 months of service paid that I couldn't use till now so I'm happy I can use it.

Now here's a question: If I cancel my Google Play Music subscription, then resubscribe in 6 months will my collection still exist?

Addnan

How would I go about unlocking a HTC One M8. I've been looking at videos and most of them say to put IMEI number into a site, pay a bit and they get you an unlock code. I haven't had to unlock a phone in years but I can get this M8 for free since my sister is getting a phone from work but it is locked to Vodafone, need it to work on EE. Something like unlockriver. Are these things legit to the point where they are not just ripping me off?

Edit:hmm apparently Vodafone will unlock it themselves for £20.

Jigolo

Just joined the Nexus 5 crew thanks to a GAFfer. Shit is amazing coming from a Galaxy Nexus running CM11 M8.

snip

EDIT: SMS back up and transfer is godly

Oh shit. Microsoft is working on inking support in OneNote for Android! Fuck, I might ditch the imaginary Surface Mini for a product that actually exists, like the Galaxy Note 8.0! I hope Samsung refreshes the 8.0 at IFA, too. This is so exciting!
Indeed, they need to announce the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.4 with that gorgeous panel in the Tab S and call it a day.

I use Reader+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom