• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to go with the Galaxy note 4 on T-mobile.

I guess it makes no sense to root considering Android L will be coming soon right?

Im sorry but you don't listen well. I specifically told you that Samsung is bad with software and that's the first thing you ask about after deciding on a Samsung phone.

To answer your question. Probably the first half of next year sometime.

Hasney

People regularly say that one great thing about Android smartphones compared to iPhone is that you can change the SD card and battery.

The best thing about Android is options really. SD cards have been on and off with various developers for a while and while I prefer user-replaceable battery to any form factor or material used on the back, it's difficult to balance the 2.

The best thing about Android is options really.

This is the great part, but it's driving me insane. If I go for one model it has a giant screen but no flash camera or replaceable battery (Z Ultra).

If I go for a different model it has a great battery, great camera, but not as big of a screen and the spec upgrade isn't worth the expensive price (Z3).

Then there's another one that has a screen in the middle of both, pure Android flagship phone, super specs, but no SD card slot or replaceable battery.

These are 3 it comes down to for me, and I think I'm just going to go with the Z Ultra for the cheaper price and giant screen.

Hasney

Uh oh. Z3 owners, there is a spyware scandal possibly happening:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...ia_phones_come_preloaded_with_baidu/?sort=new

I can't figure out if the US Z3 is affected or not. Doesn't seem like it.

Basically if you install OS monitor from the play store, you'll see that your phone is connecting to a chinese IP address.

Looks like its some app in the bloatware as other people with other phones report the same thing, but it's not there by default.

Hopefully they can isolate it and remove it in a patch.

Love 'em. Simple. Unobtrusive.

Hate ‘em. Hideous. Shite :D

It’s simplicity bordering on retarded, like you’re some fucking toddler in need of the most basic elementary shapes to understand the meaning of anything. What so unintuitively obtrusive about the look of previous buttons?

Toki767

Pushbullet made their app Material Design. It seems pretty amazing even on Kit Kat. They also got the changing status bar color to match the app color working too. Something Google never bothered to do with their Material Design apps on Kit Kat.

NotBacon

This is the great part, but it's driving me insane. If I go for one model it has a giant screen but no flash camera or replaceable battery (Z Ultra).

If I go for a different model it has a great battery, great camera, but not as big of a screen and the spec upgrade isn't worth the expensive price (Z3).

Then there's another one that has a screen in the middle of both, pure Android flagship phone, super specs, but no SD card slot or replaceable battery.

These are 3 it comes down to for me, and I think I'm just going to go with the Z Ultra for the cheaper price and giant screen.

Priorities man. For me, I just can't do TouchWiz, Xperia UI, LG, etc. They all feel terrible after using a Nexus. And a replaceable battery is a non issue these days as phones easily last 1-2 full days.

Just don't come back asking why your phone is slow, or laggy, or annoying. Because you put that lower on your priority list and you can't have everything.

When you love it, you gotta let it go...
So my Galaxy S3 suffered a little accident and is now 100% dead, so... Upgrade time!
Sadly, it's got to be an AT&T device because I just spend $300+ on computer parts and NEXT will make it easier on me.
So I went today and played with the Note 4 and had a blast with it, but I heard that it's really fragile, that it has bad battery life, and the camera sucks. Is that true?

Still, what's the best thing they got right now? I mean, in your opinion.
I need storage, durability, and a decent camera. I was considering the iPhone 6, but I would rather stay on the Android ecosystem.

none of the above. it has best-in-class battery life, camera and durability.

it also has 32GB storage standard, a microsd slot, removable battery, fast charging, the s pen, HRM, etc..

Is there a good reason why the Nexus 6 doesn't have an SD card slot?

EDIT: WTF no removable battery either?

So the flagship Android phone lacks 2 features that are great advantages of the Android compared with iPhone? I'm confused?

the flagship Android phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. think of the Nexus 6 as more of a 'reference model' type of device. at least Apple has 64GB/128GB models, even tho the prices are ridiculous.

Priorities man. For me, I just can't do TouchWiz, Xperia UI, LG, etc. They all feel terrible after using a Nexus. And a replaceable battery is a non issue these days as phones easily last 1-2 full days.

Just don't come back asking why your phone is slow, or laggy, or annoying. Because you put that lower on your priority list and you can't have everything.

Or because its taking forever to get Android L

Zeppu

Osiris is the guy who forced kehs to start using an avatar because no one could tell what's serious and what's not anymore.

NotBacon

none of the above. it has best-in-class battery life, camera and durability.

it also has 32GB storage standard, a microsd slot, removable battery, fast charging, the s pen, HRM, etc..

Dat standard. I'm so glad the Nexus 6 and Note 4 made that the minimum. Hopefully we'll see more of this going forward.

If the battery life holds up to the claims, it's the phone the Moto X should always have been. Sounds great.

Shame we'll never see it in the UK.
I've been saying this since the turbo was leaked. Shame on Motorola
Getting the Droid Turbo on Thursday. Can't wait to see the massive upgrade it is over my Galaxy Nexus.
Should be an amazing upgrade besides the bloatware. Remember to post impressions!

Is it that much of a hassle to clean the firmware of all the excess? I'm well versed in hacking games consoles, so I'm sure I can get the hang of it.

Elaborate on these TOUCHwIZ, Xperia UI etc. elements. I used to think all Android OSs were the same, it's only recently I've learned about all this bloatware stuff.

the flagship Android phone is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. think of the Nexus 6 as more of a 'reference model' type of device. at least Apple has 64GB/128GB models, even tho the prices are ridiculous.

I don't know why but I'm dead set against getting a Samsung (too mainstream?).

I'm going to Sony for the brand loyalty (and stupidly sized screen) or Google for the OS maker = Hardware maker factor. It's looking I'm edging towards the Ultra Z due to the convenient price, but if I find it too big then who knows.

Hasney

I don't mind most manufacturers software, but if I go the rest of my life without ever using a Samsung after this S4 for a year and a half then I'll be a very happy man.

Im sorry but you don't listen well. I specifically told you that Samsung is bad with software and that's the first thing you ask about after deciding on a Samsung phone.

To answer your question. Probably the first half of next year sometime.

I understand that and i did my research and read/watched plenty of reviews. I can wait for an update, its not that big of a deal. As long as i can make phone calls/send text without a hassle, ill be happy.

also i needed a phone asap.

Hasney

Install a google edition rom on that man. Its a fantastic device with that software.

Mine still won't be a fantastic device due to the buttons not working, the USB port being replaced twice by myself and the screen flickering. All because Samsung UK wouldn't touch it during the warranty period because the logo was a bit scratched off.

That's what happens when you outsource an area of your business...

But aye, if a vanilla lollipop ROM comes out before I can finally burn this thing, I'll be on it fo sheezy.

catmincer

Is it that much of a hassle to clean the firmware of all the excess? I'm well versed in hacking games consoles, so I'm sure I can get the hang of it.

Elaborate on these TOUCHwIZ, Xperia UI etc. elements. I used to think all Android OSs were the same, it's only recently I've learned about all this bloatware stuff.

I don't know why but I'm dead set against getting a Samsung (too mainstream?).

I'm going to Sony for the brand loyalty (and stupidly sized screen) or Google for the OS maker = Hardware maker factor. It's looking I'm edging towards the Ultra Z due to the convenient price, but if I find it too big then who knows.

The Sony changes consist of a music app, album and video player. Plus some minor ui changes. It's probably the lightest skin of amy of the major OEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom