• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angry" fans send Bioware 400 Cupcakes

Emitan

It's not cash on delivery - I think that's just an error on the bakery's part in how they do their invoices (or how they do them before actually processing the CC). He already paid the $1005 by credit card, as can be seen on the e-mail exchange between him and the bakery owner:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9896/confirmation2j.png

And I can't believe people are hating on this. It's a hilarious way to send a message that's not mean-spirited or destructive. And really, $1000 as part of a group fund raiser (which was how it was done) is really not that much money.

I was hating on it because I thought it was COD

Dylan

I was never a fan of Mass Effect but I do think that gamers should adopt this as a tradition: Whenever a company everyone likes does something that is generally disliked, cupcakes are sent.

I was never a fan of Mass Effect but I do think that gamers should adopt this as a tradition: Whenever a company everyone likes does something that is generally disliked, cupcakes are sent.

I don't think there are enough cup cakes in the world for that.

Nope, this just seems dumb. Also, why 400? Three endings and they wanted an equal number of cupcakes, why not just do 333? It'd be cheaper.

Because they want 4 endings times the amount of tears shed.

notworksafe

I can see the headline next week: Capcom offices closed after all employees die from massive overconsumption of sugar and fat.

bengraven

Wow...I actually find this really heart-warming for some reason.

Could be my anti-depressants kicking in though. Have I mentioned how much I love each and everyone of you?

Worst thing about this thread is that dumb PA comic.

Game journalists mocking fans over this controvery itself is really pissing me off. Yes, I think it's way overboard with the Amazon return offer and the 80k charity drive, but the fans should be respected in the end and if a large chunk were upset by the ending than you listen. Some journalists like PA are either so up the asses of Bioware or just not thinking of their audience's wishes. Personally, it's caused me to stop visiting PA. And I actually liked the ending.

Suairyu

Banned
Wait, I thought the issue people had with ME3's ending was it's lack of explanation and open-ended nature, not because it was gloomy and bleak.

People in this very GAF forum called the Penny Arcade guys "up their own asses" for assuming it was about the bleak tone.

And yet this big campaign seems to be focused on the bleak tone.

Can anyone, in an oblique, not-overly-spoilery way, summarise the design faults of the ending?

O.DOGG

Now that is pretty cool. Not that I'm hoping for a changed ending but it's an awesome way to protest. This industry needs more positivity.

Bowdz

I honestly think it is a nice gesture from the community. It shows the passion the community has for the universe, it pokes fun at the major issues with the ending, and it shows that the community doesn't hate the Bioware employees. For a small amount of money (the thread starter said that they reached the 1000 dollar mark in a few hours), the community did something that is unique, will garner attention for both their cause and Fuss cupcakes, and serves as a nice gesture to Bioware.

Wait, I thought the issue people had with ME3's ending was it's lack of explanation and open-ended nature, not because it was gloomy and bleak.

People in this very GAF forum called the Penny Arcade guys "up their own asses" for assuming it was about the bleak tone.

Can anyone, in an oblique, not-overly-spoilery way, summarise the design faults of the ending?

The general complaints with the ending are:
- It gives no sense of closure to anything in the game
- It ignores all of your previous choices and essentially gives you one ending
- It forces characters to break from their personalities in a very contrived manner
- It raises numerous questions and creates serious plot holes
- It does not fit with the themes and ideas from the rest of the game and series

.GqueB.

Banned
Man I'm what seems to be just a couple of hours from the end of the game. I can't wait to find out what the big deal is. Never seen anythingthing like this about a games ending.

You're overhyping yourself on the badness as I did. You probably won't be as mad as you're thinking. I really didn't care.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I don't think anyone is clamoring for a happy ending.

The problem with the ending we have is that all three options are the same option. There's like no difference literally aside from the colour of an explosion. Also every single part of the ending makes no sense, goes against everything the characters would do. And finally the ending removes any choices the player has made thus far. Basically, it doesn't matter what you've done in the games up until the ending, here's three shitty choices that are really just one choice.

Vamphuntr

It all boils down to a huge deux ex machina that invalidates plot points of the previous games. The final choice you make in the game is dumb and all of your previous decisions have no impact on this choice. No matter the option you choose you get treated to the same movie sequence but with a different colored explosion.

http://i.imgur.com/g2bI8.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The problem with the ending we have is that all three options are the same option. There's like no difference literally aside from the colour of an explosion. Also every single part of the ending makes no sense, goes against everything the characters would do. And finally the ending removes any choices the player has made thus far. Basically, it doesn't matter what you've done in the games up until the ending, here's three shitty choices that are really just one choice.

Some are on places like BSN. In the GAF topic people arent. Cause gaf wnats endings that make sense, they dont care if its happy.

Zomba13

I think they are being playful with the word sweet. They are sending sweet things to 'sweeten' the ending. Because the ending we got was god awful. I'm assuming by sweetening they mean as in sweeten the deal, make it a better thing rather than make it happy and sunshine and rainbows.

Because I don't think anyone really has a problem with the ending being bittersweet when some of the best moments of ME3 (ask pretty much anyone) are the bittersweet bits.

The problem with the ending we have is that all three options are the same option. There's like no difference literally aside from the colour of an explosion. Also every single part of the ending makes no sense, goes against everything the characters would do. And finally the ending removes and choices the player has made thus far. Basically, it doesn't matter what you've done in the games up until the ending, here's three shitty choices that are really just one choice.

hmmm don't you only get 2 choices if you don't fill up the bar?

And isn't the ambiguity stuff just so they can sell you future dlc/ full games?

gokieks

This campaign is not "BioWare made a crappy ending, so we're going to send them cupcakes".

It's a tongue-in-cheek way of poking fun at the ending while also showing BioWare some goodwill after 2 weeks of what is one of the biggest cases of fan furor ever, including some not very nice things said. And doing so in a way that's pretty funny. Comments like "embarrassing for all parties" make no sense what-so-ever.

I can't believe the hate that these fans get - actual genuine hate.
I mean, what have they done so far that could possibly merit the hate?

1. They made a bunch of fun parody videos
2. They attempted to voice their opinions by raising money for a charity
3. They are sending Bioware free cupcakes.

Why all the hate?

Derrick01

Banned

Why all the hate?

The fox news-like spin campaign being done by EA and the gaming media. Keep talking about how changing the ending would open up pandora's box while at the same time try to pass off the complainers as a small and entitled minority.

Vamphuntr

Why all the hate?

"Entitled" "Artistic Integrity"

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
hmmm don't you only get 2 choices if you don't fill up the bar?

And isn't the ambiguity stuff just so they can sell you future dlc/ full games?

No you get three choices. Blue, Green or Red. Pick one!

The ambiguity is just shitty writing. It's not "oh I wonder how that happened", it's more like "what the fuck, that makes NO sense"

Why all the hate?

It's all about the art, man. If the entitled heathens get their way it will lead to a complete and utter collapse of all artistic merit in the video gaming industry and thus they are a threat and should be treated with utmost contempt ....... hm wonder if EA will send me a nice big fat cheque now.

DR2K

Banned
06499c.gif

We're on step 4 of the ME3 ending saga. 5th is always the most difficult stage to reach.

Ranger X

Wow, color me impressed.
What kind of fans that is? And explain to me why they have those fans. Complaining about a game ending? LOL

Waste of time and ressources. And cupcakes will probably be wasted --- a matter more important than a videogame's ending imo.

rozay

Banned
Wow, color me impressed.
What kind of fans that is? And explain to me why they have those fans. Complaining about a game ending? LOL

Waste of time and ressources. And cupcakes will probably be wasted --- a matter more important than a videogame's ending imo.
If cupcakes are eaten, they aren't wasted.

Tron 2.0

Your mind is easily blown. I am sorry.
I get the complaints. By all accounts the ending is embarrassing and terrible. Fans are welcome to vent their distaste for the ending.

But I disagree with those that want Bioware to provide them with a new ending. Lots of things have disappointing endings. LOST ended pretty terribly and many people were upset with the conclusion of The Dark Tower. The difference is that no one demanded a new ending from Carlton Cuse or Damon Lindelof nor did fans send hundreds of walking canes to Stephen King's house.

It's especially ludicrous if they're one of the people who think that video games are art.

Top Bottom