• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Angry" fans send Bioware 400 Cupcakes

frequency

People have been complaining about endings in all sorts of media forever. There have been way worse endings to things too. I've never seen anything like this. It's so... weird.

I really hope this entire thing with ME3 ending is just an odd occurrence and it doesn't become a common thing in games.

Vire

People have been complaining about endings in all sorts of media forever. There have been way worse endings to things too. I've never seen anything like this. It's so... weird.

I really hope this entire thing with ME3 ending is just an odd occurrence and it doesn't become a common thing in games.

Mass Effect is such a beloved series that just came to end. Often times, Sci Fi fans are the most fervent when it comes to things like this. (See Star Wars).

When most stories are pieces of shit in other games, no one cares - because that's what we've been groomed to expect. But for some, Mass Effect was one of the exceptions where story mattered.

That's why you won't see people up in arms over Ninja Gaiden 3's ending.

so dumb...

send a thousand bucks to a homeless shelter... lots of people there are unhappy with HOW THEIR OWN LIVES TURNED OUT AND NOT HOW A VIDEO GAME ENDED!

Absurd.

Spoiled.

Shameful.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mass Effect also gives the player the agency to carve their own path through the story. When you give the player that much choice, then take it away and kick them in balls like ME3 did, they're going to be far more upset than if they were partaking in a non-interactive medium.

so dumb...

send a thousand bucks to a homeless shelter... lots of people there are unhappy with HOW THEIR OWN LIVES TURNED OUT AND NOT HOW A VIDEO GAME ENDED!

Absurd.

Spoiled.

Shameful.

They donated money to Child's Play you know.. But Child's Play shut that down because they felt that using a charity to send a message sets a disturbing precedent. I agree with them, charities shouldn't be used to send messages, especially not for a commercial product.

Alchemy

so dumb...

Absurd.

Spoiled.

Shameful.

I hope you never ever spend any money on entertainment, because you could be spending it on people in need. You should be spending enough money just to get by and helping others with the rest.

Vire

so dumb...

Absurd.

Spoiled.

Shameful.

These same people just sent $80,000 to underprivileged and sick children in hospitals for games through Child's Play.

I don't really see an issue here.

You spend money on video games, do you not? Well, you should save that money and give it to a homeless shelter instead, you selfish person you!

Give me a break...

I hope you never ever spend any money on entertainment, because you could be spending it on people in need. You should be spending enough money just to get by and helping others with the rest.

No, that is not a sound argument. I spend money on things to entertain myself and I spend money to help others. What I don't do is waste money on fool's errands when I could spend that money constructively.

Those guys in edmonton do not need cupcakes. They get plates of muffins and stuff everymorning.

The ending to ME3 might now tickle someones fancy, but this is just waste for waste's sake.

Ricker

This is getting a little ridiculous...play the damn games,enjoy them and enough of this patch this and patch that and change the endings bu bu bu I didn't like it...sheesh :p

These same people just sent $80,000 to underprivileged and sick children in hospitals for games through Child's Play.

I don't really see an issue here.

You spend money on video games, do you not? Well, you should save that money and give it to a homeless shelter instead, you selfish person you!

Give me a break...

Child's play donation was amazing. That does not excuse this dumb idea.

frequency

Mass Effect is such a beloved series that just came to end. Often times, Sci Fi fans are the most fervent when it comes to things like this. (See Star Wars).

I didn't think ME is particularly more beloved than anything else out there. And people have invested way more time and money in other things too. Even in sci fi.

BSG, for example, I feel is more beloved (I don't know the numbers so I'm probably wrong) and is sci fi and has an ending that bothered a lot of fans. BSG fans also invested waaaay more time in that series than anyone has invested in ME.

That never even got close to this level of weirdness.

Even your example Star Wars. That is definitely more popular than ME and fans there have invested way more time in the universe. But when the new movies came out, people didn't go to these lengths. Or maybe they did, but there was no response so it stopped being a huge thing? BioWare responding probably made this a much bigger thing than it would have been otherwise.

I have never seen such active disdain for an ending in entertainment history.

Then again, I have never felt such disdain for any ending in entertainment history.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't give a shit what they do. Their money, their message, to be spent and sent however they please.

What I do care about is the fact I don't have any cupcakes right now.

Because goddamn. I want a cupcake.

- J - D -

Do you guys think the ME team at Bioware will even partake in consuming the cupcakes? I can't imagine their reaction to it. Will it be laughter? Silent and wistful acknowledgements of their folly? Confusion? Or will they just chuck the lot into the garbage (or to assuage Ghost Dad Whip's frustration, donate them to the homeless)?

Oh to be a fly on those studio walls.

I have never seen such active disdain for an ending in entertainment history.

Then again, I have never felt such disdain for any ending in entertainment history.

Like others have said, no other endings have been the culmination of years of interactive story telling.
I guess Halo 3 comes close, but that series never really focused on SP - it was always about the MP.

CAW

Do you guys think the ME team at Bioware will even partake in consuming the cupcakes? I can't imagine their reaction to it. Will it be laughter? Silent and wistful acknowledgements of their folly? Confusion? Or will they just chuck the lot into the garbage (or to assuage Ghost Dad Whip's frustration, donate them to the homeless)?

They've already responded: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/10635792&lf=8

Karl2177

I hope the wax paper they put in the bottom of the boxes says, "Now that you've enjoyed these cupcakes, you can continue your appetite by purchasing more!"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't give a shit what they do. Their money, their message, to be spent and sent however they please.

Oh man, and it sounds like they were frosted too. Fuck.

Anyways, I guess I admire their...er, tenacity, but personally I'm kinda over the whole ME3 ending debacle. Bioware pooped the bed, and I enjoyed seeing their nose rubbed in it, but at this point I don't really care what they do anymore. I'm burnt out on it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh man, and it sounds like they were frosted too. Fuck.

Anyways, I guess I admire their...er, tenacity, but personally I'm kinda over the whole ME3 ending debacle. Bioware pooped the bed, and I enjoyed seeing their nose rubbed in it, but at this point I'm tired of hearing about it.

Some of us just finished the game yesterday and are still in stage two.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

iRyfrC7O77zKk.png

Trumpets

At this point, Bioware needs to tell it's more obsessive fans to go fuck themselves. I'd certainly respect them more if they completely distanced themselves from these mentalists.

It's food in an office setting. I doubt the regulars in the office will have some moral conundrum over whether or not to eat free cupcakes. They're free cupcakes. If you've ever worked in an office there's always random sweets and food lying around. The amount of birthday cake I've eaten over the years is staggering.

Alchemy

No, that is not a sound argument. I spend money on things to entertain myself and I spend money to help others. What I don't do is waste money on fool's errands when I could spend that money constructively.

Those guys in edmonton do not need cupcakes. They get plates of muffins and stuff everymorning.

The ending to ME3 might now tickle someones fancy, but this is just waste for waste's sake.

And you don't need video games, so why not spend it on the homeless? It is your money, you choose how to spend it. Same deal with people who pitched in to buy BioWare cupcakes. I mean for fucks sake, fans buy shit for game developers all the time even though they don't need any of it.

We're on a damn forum dedicated to video games, hardly anything here is a matter of need.

And who the hell eats cupcakes for breakfast?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That money could have gone to research for some disease, and the fans could have donated the proceeds in honour of BioWare.

And you don't need video games, so why not spend it on the homeless? It is your money, you choose how to spend it. Same deal with people who pitched in to buy BioWare cupcakes. I mean for fucks sake, fans buy shit for game developers all the time even though they don't need any of it.

We're on a damn forum dedicated to video games, hardly anything here is a matter of need.

And who the hell eats cupcakes for breakfast?

Using bold does not make a bad argument better, sorry.

Vire

That money could have gone to research for some disease, and the fans could have donated the proceeds in honour of BioWare.

GOOD IDEA!

Here it is folks, if you cure Cancer - Bioware will give out free endings to everyone!

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Mass Effect also gives the player the agency to carve their own path through the story. When you give the player that much choice, then take it away and kick them in balls like ME3 did, they're going to be far more upset than if they were partaking in a non-interactive medium.

They donated money to Child's Play you know.. But Child's Play shut that down because they felt that using a charity to send a message sets a disturbing precedent. I agree with them, charities shouldn't be used to send messages, especially not for a commercial product.

It was because those who donated thought the end-result was an assured alternate ending.

A buncha idiots who then retracted their donations and asked for refunds once they realized that they weren't donating for a happy ending.

Ugh. I can't believe all of the people getting up in arms over this. The people at BioWare are still human beings, and this is something being done as a nice gesture after fans have been acting like total a-holes to them lately.

I'm not saying people don't have the right to complain, but the way some people have been doing it is ridiculous. So, this is something being done to show that not all of BioWare's fans are like that, and to say that while fans do have legitimate complaints, those complaints doesn't always have to be presented in such un-friendly ways.

And it's been said that the money for these cupcakes has already been collected. Obviously the COD thing isn't going to be the end result.

Bioware deserves cupcakes for the Tuchanka mission, not the end of ME3. To send cupcakes because of the ending is the opposite of what should happen.

In fact, a campaign to award Bioware for the great parts of ME3 would make way more sense.

Vire

Bioware deserves cupcakes for the Tuchanka mission, not the end of ME3. To send cupcakes because of the ending is the opposite of what should happen.

In fact, a campaign to award Bioware for the great parts of ME3 would make way more sense.

I think you are missing the point.

People are giving them cupcakes as a thanks for all the hard word over the years, and at the same time offering a clever form of constructive criticisms over the ending. It's just one big gag with a nudge and a wink.

I don't honestly think anyone expects to get something in return for this.

Balehead

At this point, Bioware needs to tell it's more obsessive fans to go fuck themselves. I'd certainly respect them more if they completely distanced themselves from these mentalists.

Yeah, poor bastards don't get the message just from playing their games so they need to spell it out.

DTKT

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting anything to come out of the cupcakes.

I hope most of the fans understand that 90% of ME3 is gold. It's not a perfect game but it's pretty good on it's own. Even with the endings :)

So, the cupcakes are not an expression of rage or anger. No one is trying to guilt Bioware into something. I think they just wanted to do something "physical" to show that fans actually do exist and that not everyone on a forum is an asshole.

So yeah, a 1000 cupcakes for a studio that worked it's ass off to deliver a great game. Nothing wrong with that!

Vire

I don't think anyone is seriously expecting anything to come out of the cupcakes.

I hope most of the fans understand that 90% of ME3 is gold. It's not a perfect game but it's pretty good on it's own. Even with the endings :)

So, the cupcakes are not an expression of rage or anger. No one is trying to guilt Bioware into something. I think they just wanted to do something "physical" to show that fans actually do exist and that not everyone on a forum is an asshole.

So yeah, a 1000 cupcakes for a studio that worked it's ass off to deliver a great game. Nothing wrong with that!
What he said.

I think you are missing the point.

People are giving them cupcakes as a thanks for all the hard word over the years, and at the same time offering a clever form of constructive criticisms over the ending. It's just one big gag with a nudge and a wink.

I don't honestly think anyone expects to get something in return for this.

But i want them to think about how much they damaged my soul with every delicious bite. :(

"THESE PEOPLE BE CRAZY!" Oh puh-lease.

While I don't know the specifics of how the money was gathered, I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of these people chipped in one or two dollars each. For each of these people this most likely amounts to a flea's piss in the ocean. And compared to all the wierd stuff people use money on, then even less. These people are no worse and no better than say sports fans that travel to every match their favorite team/person plays and paint themselves in team colors or whatever.

I don't think anyone that partakes in sending 400 cupcakes to Bioware goes around thinking that this will somehow magically
(perhaps with space magic tho'..)
change the ending. But what it does serve as, is a nice gesture from the fans to Bioware that they still like them, but that the ending was crap.

Let's save the outrage for terrible-story-of-the-day thread in OT eh?

Top Bottom