• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Destiny 2 Review

Fat4all

Banned
iirc that's the same score he gave the first game

I wasn't a fan of the first game, and I'm still not a fan of Destiny 2, but it seemed like a decent step up from the first game to me

I'll give this a watch later, thanks OP.

Lakitu

st5fu
I like his reviews so I'll check it out but I cannot agree with that score. It's a vast improvement in many ways over the original. And it seems to be one of the only reasons I play games nowadays when I get a chance (that and From Software...)

Strakt

Lol @ the whiny dude during the raid portion

Knew he was going to give the game a low score before the review came out due to all of his negative tweets

Either way, CANT WAIT FOR PC!!!!!

Fair enough, each to their own. I know I'll likely be getting another thousand hours from it and be enjoying that time. It's certainly not for everyone but as one of those it clicks for, it really is my favourite console FPS of all time. Happy to be back in that universe, dancing my way to the top.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
FUCK Failsafe is barf inducing.

Izuna

Banned
I played just the intro (which was stupid long) and a bit after. I hated everything. Worse than the first for me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
That's about what I'd give it as well. i really enjoyed Destiny once TTK was released, but for some reason D2 just didn't grab me like it should have.

Just for reference, he gave the first game a 6/10 as well.

I just really don't think he's a fan of this genre.

I played just the intro (which was stupid long) and a bit after. I hated everything. Worse than the first for me.
For a game of this genre, the 5 hours or so it takes to get from level 1 to max level and the story completed really isn't a big deal.

Lol @ the whiny dude during the raid portion

Knew he was going to give the game a low score before the review came out due to all of his negative tweets

Either way, CANT WAIT FOR PC!!!!!
Oh, I was just about to ask if he even did the raid.

Timestamp for raid portion?

Tagyhag

Just glancing at the score i have no idea how you could get to that

Joe uses the "5/10 actually means average" scale that not enough people use nowadays, so he's saying it's better than average.

Not surprised considering his tweets, he'll probably have a better time on the PC version like most people.

I agree with that score. The patrol and QoL improvements are big steps up and the addition of a story is welcome of course, but Bungie did some questionable things with both of those, along with the reskinned character creator and overall underwhelming fashion sense. If those and the Raid and Crucible were good I think it'd be at least a 7-8.

ViciousDS

Banned
I love the game but Failsafe is absolute shit and garbage.

My buddy asks me how I can't find it funny, it's because you still think childish jokes are somehow hilarious. Failsafe sucks, and somehow I don't even care for half of caydes lines either.

Still love the game though

yeah Failsafe is next level cornball. these writers should give up on humor if this and Cayde is any indication.

who is this voice actress, never hire her again.

and mah girl Chloe is just delegated to a bright engram trader with like 4 canned lines :(

Strakt

Just for reference, he gave the first game a 6/10 as well.

I just really don't think he's a fan of this genre.

For a game of this genre, the 5 hours or so it takes to get from level 1 to max level and the story completed really isn't a big deal.

Oh, I was just about to ask if he even did the raid.

Timestamp for raid portion?

31 mins

Bold One

Failsafe is amazing you jaded, jaded souls

Honestly, Joe's rants aren't aimed at me (for a guy who's been doing this for such a long time, he doesn't seem all that knowledgeable about the games he plays or the basics of the industry in general), the guy can throw around whatever score he likes Destiny 2 is going to be the best shooter out this year

Bold One

Bungie blew their AI load on Cortana and Guilty Spark. She's cute but nothing award winning like those two.

not everything that is good wins awards

not everything award-winning is good

unlike, Cortana, FS is not central to the plot of 5 established games, therefore, the comparison rings a bit hollow

Mafro

Sounds about right going by all the negative tweets from him an how much he didn't enjoy the first game.

KageMaru

Really surprised by the score. Haven't played it but I thought destiny 2 corrected a lot of the problems he had with the first game.

Plum

As a first-time Destiny player I have no 'baggage' from the previous game (unless a quick playthrough of the demo counts, I guess), and I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 as well. Everything was new to me so whether something was in the previous game didn't really matter. From what does matter, though, I can say ot's definitely a fun mindless shooter, and I was looking for one of those. However, the level and encounter design rarely feels very inspired (despite some pretty-looking environments), and the 'sandbox' of combat is hampered by restrictive gameplay systems. I wouldn't call it bad, don't get me wrong, and I can definitely see how the experience would be improved if you had a dedicated team of people to play with. I'll keep it around, might even buy the DLC, but it's not something I'd be able to spend 1000s of hours on.

Nah this is his first one in 3 months. Its prob because its a HUGE AAA Title and whether it was positive or negative, he'd get a ton of clicks on it.

It's because he took a break from doing big edited reviews.

Eggbok

He still does game reviews? Haven't seen him do them in a while.

Nah this is his first one in 3 months. Its prob because its a HUGE AAA Title and whether it was positive or negative, he'd get a ton of clicks on it.

He hasn't been doing reviews for games because he took a vacation, it was like his first vacation in 7 years or something like that. This is the first game since he's been back I think but it also happens to be a big AAA game.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
yeah Failsafe is next level cornball. these writers should give up on humor if this and Cayde is any indication.

who is this voice actress, never hire her again.

and mah girl Chloe is just delegated to a bright engram trader with like 4 canned lines :(

I'd like to know who wrote that forced turd tone of Fail-safe and slap them with a fish.

Cayde is easy on the ears thanks to Fillion's natural charm.

As for Claudia Black, I feel a pang of sadness in my gut every time she thanks me for shopping at Eveveveveh (fucking mouthful)

Strakt

Really surprised by the score. Haven't played it but I thought destiny 2 corrected a lot of the problems he had with the first game.

It did, which is why the game has amazing reviews from every single review site. There are actually 100s, a bunch of 95s, 90s, 85s, 80s. and maybe 1 or two 75s.. in fact joes is the lowest review out of any site so far. I think its at an 85 metacritic or something like that?

TLDR; he just doesnt like destiny and thats ok

Top Bottom