• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Destiny 2 Review

Strakt

The adventures are actually very good, including interesting dialogue, character banter, locations, and gameplay. There's just no reward for doing them that progresses your character. They're good, but implemented poorly. They should give you something that advances your character, but that's what happens when you have to reboot every game you make a year away from launch.

Destiny PvP is fucking abominable.

Yea its abominable to you; but once again there are plenty of people that do enjoy it for what it is. At the end of the day, its content, and its a piece of content that A LOT of players enjoy.

Kill3r7

There's a Quickplay and Competitive option, but I can't select which game type I want to play, it's random, which is a downgrade from Destiny 1. Also PVP is just not fun for me because again, it feels like a downgrade from Destiny 1.

My point was that I grinded to 280 Power level but there's only the Nightfall and the Raid that make any use of that Power range.

Agreed. My biggest issue with PVP right now is that it is 4v4. It is an akward fireteam number considering the raid is a 6 man activity and everything else is 3. I hope IB ar least is 6v6. I hate kicking out friends from the team in order to play PVP and then when done with PVP having to do the same thing again. What was Bungie thinking?

GhaleonEB

Is the game really packed to the gills with content? I reached 280 Power level and aside from the Nightfall and Raid, there's nothing else to do. What content?

Aside from the campaign, which I found to be lengthy and certainly far larger than D1, there are over 15 lost sectors, a few dozen adventures, public events with Heroic versions, a long list of exotic quests, all the strikes have alternate encounter varieties, multiple Nightfall difficulties and Trials of the Nine.

None of these things were in vanilla Destiny 1, which was the comparison point in that post. There's also several times as much space to explore in the open worlds, lore to find in world, treasure maps, and a few other things I'm forgetting.

I've finished the campaign and have been playing every night and am staring at 25+ activities I haven't done yet on the destinations, plus a few quests and milestones.

If you mean, you're level 280 and don't have a lot of activities that will advance you, I can't speak to that. It might be there are too few activities at the tip of the power climb that are relevant. But yeah, Destiny 2 is a big game by any measure, but especially so as compared to the first game.

SkylineRKR

I can't agree with this at all. Even with the extra Strike on PS4 the playlist feels extremely repetitive. Must be even worse on Xbox.

Is the game really packed to the gills with content? I reached 280 Power level and aside from the Nightfall and Raid, there's nothing else to do. What content?

I agree. I put the game down already.

Its just... when you've done all the content (story, exotic quests etc) there is barely anything to do. I feel there is less to do than in Vanilla D1. I did some adventures, they're nice but ultimately useless. I did lost sectors, kind of useless as well. Treasure maps, all blues. Its a waste of time past 260. Strikes? RNG decides which one you'll play and the rewards are shit as well. The weekly stuff here is play Crucible for a few hours so you're at 100%, play a handful of publics on a planet, nightfall, Raid. Thats it.

Lets not forget that despite D1's clumsyness and faults, it did have daily missions, weekly strikes, strikes playable from the director (this would prove to be great in TTK with its strike rewards), more strikes in general, clash, control, salvage (on and off I think) without RNG deciding for you, more PvP maps. More in depth class customizations, better exotic perks on armor, your Shadow Price could be a completely different beast than mine (and mine was a beast; field scout, glass half full and something good). Getting the same weapons wasn't as much of an issue. Exotics were customizable, I can't be the only one switching Monte Carlo's perks depending on map (range at the expense of magazine I think). TTK expanded upon it and was a long way off D1, but its odd that good things didn't carry over in D2 such as strike rewards. Another huge mistake of D2 is the shaders, but I think monetization rears its ugly head here.

The biggest offender to me is the PvP. I loved it in D1. I hated the shotgun dominance (and at the same time loved the flow Blink gave this game) and amount of fist of havocs in your face but that could've easily been toned down without making it 4 v 4 and removing playlists. In D2? I fare better, statistically, but its fucking numb. You can't really win a 1 v 3 here, and matches end on time over.

Drake

What happened between Joe and Activision? He mentions about how sensitive the higher ups were about his initial Destiny review. I guess they didn't like him punching out corporate commander.

norm9

What happened between Joe and Activision? He mentions about how sensitive the higher ups were about his initial Destiny review. I guess they didn't like him punching out corporate commander.

Totally forgot about this part of the review. So weird that Joe had to make a disclaimer that punching Corporate Commander was not an endorsement of physical violence against the people working at bungie or activision.

Tawpgun

The problem with the content is that there is so much of it but after you hit the soft cap of 265, none of it is advantageous to do aside from maybe farming them for planet tokens to get some piece of gear you want. After 265 you need to do activities that give you "Powerful" Engrams or pray for Exotics.

The lost sectors in particular were really disappointing. There's a thread on the subreddit how they were billed as challenging, mini strikes. I thought they may have been too because when I was going through the campaign I walked into one where the enemies were way too strong for me. But now above 260... they are nothing more than the assassination patrol missions to be honest.

The adventures are actually REALLY cool. A lot of great lore, unique gameplay (the warmind one on Io was really cool) and fun fights. But.... they are nothing more than fun little side distractions if you are bored.

Bungie should allow for "heroic" triggers for lost sectors and adventures that give you better rewards.

Raven117

The adventures are actually REALLY cool. A lot of great lore, unique gameplay (the warmind one on Io was really cool) and fun fights. But.... they are nothing more than fun little side distractions if you are bored.

I have no idea why they didn't make these more rewarding. They obviously put alot of work into them, yet on the march to 260, they are nothing but an afterthought. Same with Strikes...

They need to make these marginally better than public events...or else...people will just run public events over and over.

JWiLL

Banned
Aside from the campaign, which I found to be lengthy and certainly far larger than D1, there are over 15 lost sectors, a few dozen adventures, public events with Heroic versions, a long list of exotic quests, all the strikes have alternate encounter varieties, multiple Nightfall difficulties and Trials of the Nine.

None of these things were in vanilla Destiny 1, which was the comparison point in that post. There's also several times as much space to explore in the open worlds, lore to find in world, treasure maps, and a few other things I'm forgetting.

I've finished the campaign and have been playing every night and am staring at 25+ activities I haven't done yet on the destinations, plus a few quests and milestones.

If you mean, you're level 280 and don't have a lot of activities that will advance you, I can't speak to that. It might be there are too few activities at the tip of the power climb that are relevant. But yeah, Destiny 2 is a big game by any measure, but especially so as compared to the first game.

Yeah I had no issue with the amount of content they put in to the world. In terms of story/adventure/quest/lost sectors there's plenty to do in the game. The fact that Destiny fans are rabid and will blast through these in a week or two doesn't change that. It's at least 50 hours of content it seems.

One of the 3 part quests, like the one with the Taken trying to steal Vex tech despite seemingly having no leader anymore, was better than anything in the entire 1st game + DLCs.

I would agree that these should be more rewarding for end game players though, considering you're pretty high power levels by the time you get to them.

SkylineRKR

The problem with the content is that there is so much of it but after you hit the soft cap of 265, none of it is advantageous to do aside from maybe farming them for planet tokens to get some piece of gear you want. After 265 you need to do activities that give you "Powerful" Engrams or pray for Exotics.

The lost sectors in particular were really disappointing. There's a thread on the subreddit how they were billed as challenging, mini strikes. I thought they may have been too because when I was going through the campaign I walked into one where the enemies were way too strong for me. But now above 260... they are nothing more than the assassination patrol missions to be honest.

Bungie should allow for "heroic" triggers for lost sectors and adventures that give you better rewards.

Another thing I forgot, Heroic difficulty is gone from content. A friend of mine called me, and even said D2's campaign was worse than D1. Its because he enjoyed the onslaught of D1's campaign in solo Heroic (such as the Vex introduction). He felt it was too easy now. And lets be frank here, D2's campaign is exactly the same as the first. It does have more tongue in cheek dialogue and flows a bit better because of last-gen being dropped but for the rest its the exact same wait for door to open and defend. The cutscenes are almost as terrible I think. What does the bad guy really do for the entirety? talk useless shit to some guys (and I swear he repeats the same stuff over and over).

Lost Sectors, they're nothing. Rush to the major, Super him, grab chest. Its even easier than a HVT that spawns on the map.

Adventures ARE good, I did a few and enjoyed it, but you'll do it for nothing. I think you don't even need the upgrade points. I stopped doing them and could max all subclasses anyway.

Symbiotx

I have no idea why they didn't make these more rewarding. They obviously put alot of work into them, yet on the march to 260, they are nothing but an afterthought. Same with Strikes...

They need to make these marginally better than public events...or else...people will just run public events over and over.

Knowing bungie, they'll probably just pull back on the public events, but I hope they don't because that will kill them and you'll never find people doing them.

The adventures definitely are in a weird place. While I wanted to check them out, I feel like I was led into other things like finishing the story, at which point I had no need to ever play them for gear. It seems like they should've been a patrol end-game thing that brings you back into visiting these places and learn more about them.

jviggy43

Well, everything in Diablo and Borderlands is an instance - since you each area is loaded for you and your group - and progression in that area can be reset and run through again.

Diablo has optional bosses - and you could say that the high level Greater Rifts are essentially raids.
Nothing in those events comes close to the complexity of raids in MMOs so not really.
There isn't any grey area. They shipped destinations with empty spaces to build future content. They can't cut content that isn't finished, logically. It's conspiracy theory bullshit and you're saying the onus is on me to disprove Joe's paranoia? That's not how burden of proof works. That's all aside from the fact that it is nonsense to hold back finished content in a game that desperately needs it. Joe needs to watch the Extra Credits episode on DLC from like, what, 8 years ago?

I never said anything about you establishing anything actually. I simply put that youre trying to justify the cut content and selling it back as an excuse for his complaint that it was cut content that formed DLC when the reasons for why it happened don't change the point he was making. And yeah there is a grey area considering Jason who got them to answer whether the content was done, left off the article that it was up to the reader to decide whether or not Bungie's answer was satisfying (https://kotaku.com/bungie-sorta-explains-why-some-of-destinys-dlc-is-on-1652925300). Saying they weren't finished areas doesn't also mean the majority of it wasn't finished, for all we know it could have been mostly done outside of bugs and glitches from the answer Bungie gave. I'm not saying thats the case, but we know that D1, months before development, went fundamental changes that removed content planned for the game (TTK) and removed to be reworked. I think thats a valid reason for doing so and loved TTK, it still was cut and resold to users which I think is the main point Joe was frustrated with.

I would agree that these should be more rewarding for end game players though, considering you're pretty high power levels by the time you get to them.
This is the number one thing I was looking to see improvement on for the sequel. Specifically: How many activities were available on any given session that provided a solid possibility of upgrades once you completed the campaign. In a loot game this is super important, and there are some great examples out there of how to do it right.

Take Diablo 3. Once you finish the story, or even reach max level and have all of you abilities, the entire game - every last bit of it, is available at your level and in multiple torment difficulty levels beyond to offer the player a ton of content at different, easily understood risk/reward rates. That content is also remixed to oblivion with a never-ending supply of dynamic bounties, Nephalim Rifts and ever-scaling Greater Rifts. All of it is available, at all times, and makes for the gold standard when it comes to getting the most replayability out of every last nugget of game content. And when new tilesets or enemies are added to the game post-release, they just add to the already huge list of combinations, rather than replacing one treadmill with another.

Destiny on the other hand is fine with abandoning older content to irrelevancy (for upgrades) outside of a few specifically curated and time gated activities.

Destiny has a good amount of content, but its never been re-used well enough, which is what I think leads to the complaints about the game running out of steam.

Its still early days in D2 so there might be some changes in the works over time, which is why I'm really interested how things go with the first expansion. Will Bungie provide reasons to run previous content and raids for those who have leveled past it? Past experience says no, but maybe they'll surprise us.

Meh I usually like AJ videos but this one just wasn't funny. The expansion bit seems outta place when he knew it would be there before hand. The Fake shock rubs me the wrong way I guess. The music bit was funny for a minute then got old.

I really don't care If a reviewer touches the raid it isn't needed to properly review the game. Just don't mention it or simply say hey guys i didn't want to lvl up enough so I didn't do it. Don't give your friends opinion on it. People tune in for HIS opinion based off his experience with the game. Idc what his trusted friend experienced in the raid. Him talking as if he has stepped foot inside knowing that he hasn't is just as scummy to me as the stuff he rants about other businesses doing. Yea he is a business too.

To me this is like if a film reviewer left before the end of the movie then complained about how bad the ending was based off what his friend told him about it. I'm surprised so many here are hand waving this. I unsubscribed after watching this video. I've been a fan since his destiny 1 review ironically enough lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agreed. My biggest issue with PVP right now is that it is 4v4. It is an akward fireteam number considering the raid is a 6 man activity and everything else is 3. I hope IB ar least is 6v6. I hate kicking out friends from the team in order to play PVP and then when done with PVP having to do the same thing again. What was Bungie thinking?
Trials is 4v4, so I expect IB will be 4v4 as well. I assume they made this change so that they could just balance for one type of matchmaking in terms of maps and abilities.

Kill3r7

Trials is 4v4, so I expect IB will be 4v4 as well. I assume they made this change so that they could just balance for one type of matchmaking in terms of maps and abilities.

I am hoping that all the bitching and moaning on Reddit might encourage Bungie to reconsider but you are right they probably will stick with 4v4. So far it has basically lead to us avoiding PvP outside of trials and the weekly reward.

SpecX

I am hoping that all the bitching and moaning on Reddit might encourage Bungie to reconsider but you are right they probably will stick with 4v4. So far it has basically lead to us avoiding PvP outside of trials and the weekly reward.

Isn't there 4 slots at the bottom or at least space for it still showing up if you look at the current player roster in PvP? I'm hoping they bring back 6v6 in the future as an option.

martino

People who play loot games (like Diablo) and MMOs don't usually say this line after 40 hours.

Again, genre expectations.

I'm surpised on gaf people expect grinding games to have hundreds hours of unique content (day one)...
I can't remember one doing it. (and even procedural maps can become boring if you're looking for variety)
This is where Destiny 2 is pretty good imo. Breaking activities routine on the fly as you want (and depending on who you are playing with (solo or with friend))
It works on me at least.

Just being facetious with this blanket statement really since we all got different opinions at the end of the day but I feel like if you actually think destiny series plays better than stuff like titanfall 2 or wolfenstein or doom then you must be suffering from Stockholm syndrome haha

Like don't get me wrong I think it's a fun game and I have put a lot of time into it, but compared to those the gunplay (and in titanfalls case mobility too) is mediocrity

PvP stinks as well in here

Man it would be the dream if you combined the concept of destiny with the gameplay of titanfall

Trickster

Yea its abominable to you; but once again there are plenty of people that do enjoy it for what it is. At the end of the day, its content, and its a piece of content that A LOT of players enjoy.

Even if you enjoy the pvp gameplay you should be able to at least acknowledge that pvp offers an extremely limited amount of variety, especially considering that it's Bungie we're talking about. They are bigger than ever, yet the multiplayer is more limited than ever

m23

Just being facetious with this blanket statement really since we all got different opinions at the end of the day but I feel like if you actually think destiny series plays better than stuff like titanfall 2 or wolfenstein or doom then you must be suffering from Stockholm syndrome haha

Like don't get me wrong I think it's a fun game and I have put a lot of time into it, but compared to those the gunplay (and in titanfalls case mobility too) is mediocrity

Man it would be the dream if you combined the concept of destiny with the gameplay of titanfall

There are quite a few games with better gunplay than destiny, I agree. Titanfall is up there for me in terms of gunplay and movement.

JWiLL

Banned

Yeah, this talking point might have held more truth when Destiny original launched considering the gaming market at the time + what Year 1 Destiny guns felt like (launch TLW and Hawkmoon were god tier). Fans have kept this going though and it's just flat out not true anymore.

The current D2 weapon economy in the current gaming market? The gun play feels pretty damn sluggish, the satisfaction really only comes from the graphical effects and interactions with enemies/elements.

It's especially true when you've been playing on PC...nothing "crispy" about hand cannons at 30fps when you've been playing McCree at 144hz.

I have no doubt that the PC version will help alleviate this, interested to see what the final release feels like.

Nothing in those events comes close to the complexity of raids in MMOs so not really.

I never said anything about you establishing anything actually. I simply put that youre trying to justify the cut content and selling it back as an excuse for his complaint that it was cut content that formed DLC when the reasons for why it happened don't change the point he was making. And yeah there is a grey area considering Jason who got them to answer whether the content was done, left off the article that it was up to the reader to decide whether or not Bungie's answer was satisfying (https://kotaku.com/bungie-sorta-explains-why-some-of-destinys-dlc-is-on-1652925300). Saying they weren't finished areas doesn't also mean the majority of it wasn't finished, for all we know it could have been mostly done outside of bugs and glitches from the answer Bungie gave. I'm not saying thats the case, but we know that D1, months before development, went fundamental changes that removed content planned for the game (TTK) and removed to be reworked. I think thats a valid reason for doing so and loved TTK, it still was cut and resold to users which I think is the main point Joe was frustrated with.
I don't know how many different ways I can state they built TDB entirely after launch in a rush. I feel like I'm going in circles. You can't cut what isn't started. Joe was dead wrong about this case in particular and is ignorant about what DLC is general. Don't be like Joe.

Z3M0G

Just about to start watching this... fuck the spoilers.

I'm 20 seconds in and I'm blown away that he has a custom made "AJ" Destiny uniform/custome that his is proudly showing off (holy fuck impressive), yet he will still give it a 6/10 in the end.

One thing you must say about Joe, he doesn't give into hype and speaks his true feelings.

Edit: LOL @ the music bit!

I don't know how many different ways I can state they built TDB entirely after launch in a rush. I feel like I'm going in circles. You can't cut what isn't started. Joe was dead wrong about this case in particular and is ignorant about what DLC is general. Don't be like Joe.

Wasn't there already work done on certain TDB areas when the disc shipped though?

I'm not agreeing with the notion that they cut content in order to make it a DLC later, I'm just saying that suggesting TDB was built "entirely after launch in a rush" also seems kind of disingenuous when people were glitching into certain areas that ended up being part of that DLC. If any of that is true, your statement is false since you used the term "entirely." This probably isn't uncommon for these types of games in general and again, I don't agree with the "cut content" argument. I just think they probably did do some work ahead of time on the DLC, shipped it on the disc, and then finished that content (whether it be adding story/characters/loot/whatever) after launch and over the next few months.

Just about to start watching this... fuck the spoilers.

I'm 20 seconds in and I'm blown away that he has a custom made "AJ" Destiny uniform/custome that his is proudly showing off (holy fuck impressive), yet he will still give it a 6/10 in the end.

One thing you must say about Joe, he doesn't give into hype and speaks his true feelings.

Edit: LOL @ the music bit!

Yet some people don't appreciate his hard work on those reviews and give him shit for taking a brief break in the summer.

Angry Joe is one of, if not the, best reviewers out there!

JWiLL

Banned
Yet some people don't appreciate his hard work on those reviews and give him shit for taking a brief break in the summer.

Angry Joe is one of, if not the, best reviewers out there!

Joe is all about the "meaningful content". He says the exact words "meaningful content" over and over in most of his positive reviews. Check out his Witcher 3 review, for example.

He's always going to be hard on Destiny because he was definitely on the hype train for the first...and it launched with basically no "meaningful content" outside of VoG (which wasn't part of his review due to when it launched).

Strakt

Holy shit @ the Raid portion of the review...

How is the general reception of the Raid????

Some people like it, some don't. Either way joes portion of the raid is useless as he didn't even play it and used someone else's clip for the entire portion. He should of left it out all together.

Z3M0G

Some people like it, some don't. Either way joes portion of the raid is useless as he didn't even play it and used someone else's clip for the entire portion. He should of left it out all together.

He might have not have personally played it until the end, but he did provide a lot of other opinions on the raid in the video, while in most reviews you get only one voice. So I don't feel it is justified to say the Raid portion should have been left out of his review. Joe's reviews are often / always very collaborative anyways.

All I know is I checked out a handful of Raid streams once, and every one of them was a group going through the "group stealth" section... people were shitting all over it... and here we have video examples of people massively complaining about the raid as well. It doesn't sound promising...

DerpHause

He might have not have personally played it until the end, but he did provide a lot of other opinions on the raid in the video, while in most reviews you get only one voice. So I don't feel it is justified to say the Raid portion should have been left out of his review. Joe's reviews are often / always very collaborative anyways.

All I know is I checked out a handful of Raid streams once, and every one of them was a group going through the "group stealth" section... people were shitting all over it... and here we have video examples of people massively complaining about the raid as well. It doesn't sound promising...

I've seen some criticism regarding the review that suggests he never set foot in it. It seems a bit disingenuous for a reviewer to spend a significant time of his review berating content he's never fully experienced even if for the sake of a single infamous encounter.

What's the point of a review at that point? It's like metacritic with commentary.

Also the whole bit at the end of the story seemed like poor expectation management. We knew this was a DLC driven game. We expected hooks for things to continue from, but at the same time we got a coherent, self contained narrative in vanilla without looking to expansions. Not sure what the gripe at that point was about.

His Destiny 1 review is classic. I loved d1 but that review was funny as hell. This one not so much. He does make good points about the lack of innovation but no way is d2 a 6. Somewhere around 8 is about right. Also timed nf sucks. Stop that shit bungie.

Wasn't there already work done on certain TDB areas when the disc shipped though?

I'm not agreeing with the notion that they cut content in order to make it a DLC later, I'm just saying that suggesting TDB was built "entirely after launch in a rush" also seems kind of disingenuous when people were glitching into certain areas that ended up being part of that DLC. If any of that is true, your statement is false since you used the term "entirely." This probably isn't uncommon for these types of games in general and again, I don't agree with the "cut content" argument. I just think they probably did do some work ahead of time on the DLC, shipped it on the disc, and then finished that content (whether it be adding story/characters/loot/whatever) after launch and over the next few months.
They originally built the destinations with extra space. They had this idea that expanding the existing world would be a cool thing for players, but adding spaces to existing destinations post-launch would have required recertifying and reshipping them entirely, a limitation of the engine. The expansion activities took place on the existing destinations (except the raid), in both areas that had been meant to be accessible at launch and ones that had not. The non-raid activities took place predominantly in the spaces that were accessible at launch.

But none of this even matters because the complaint is stupid to begin with. If they want to deliver quality expansions within 3 months of launch, they have to stagger development so they're working on them well before launch. Which they should have done, but didn't (and probably couldn't). That's why the complaint is so wrong in this instance.

Top Bottom