• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

hm. well, that's his rating, but I'd say it's still slightly above average. I think the whole time-breaking shit and the tv+game thing, it all at least sounds innovating.

Sevyne

I don't understand why this dude always gets his own thread for reviews.

I don't understand whats so hard about reading the first page of the thread, which explains this (whether you like the reasoning or not). I'm guessing you did that though and still felt the need to post that just because.

SomTervo

In the review we saw him sit in one spot for 10 minutes getting shot by an enemy intermittently at medium range and not even come close to dying.

Did you even watch the video in the OP? 10min AFK in one spot.

I didn't watch it, and yes, that sound pretty lame - but I can only think of a couple of parts of the game where that would be feasible. The lowest-tier enemies are very 'afraid' and don't rush you so much. They're common early on. You have to go get them. But the higher-tier enemies, whom you increasingly encounter, are always push push push and throw a lot of grenades. Towards the end of the game you're taking down near-armies of goons who are putting high pressure on you, even on Normal. His example sounds like very selective early-game context.

(Also, he obviously decided to sit there and do nothing. Which doesn't sound fun. Would you choose to play like that if you had some satisfying and badass time powers at your disposal?)

dt2

Banned
I'm 95% positive that the multiplayer of TLOU (while really great and fun) didn't have much of an impact on the score and wasn't a big factor why the game was so successful and reveled by critics and consumers.

Also, just being consistent quality wise ain't enough, you generally can't just keep making games that are consistent year after year. What's a great or an average games is relative, and if they can't make games that are outright better and more evolved than their previous titles they won't get the same reception.

Again I'm not disputing TLOU's score, reception, or sales. It's an amazing game that deserves all the praise and sales it has received. My reply was to the other poster that implied something "happened" to Remedy.

I don't agree that a good game released this year is not as good just because it's only as good as the previous release a year ago (that sounds like an oxymoron). If it's rehashing the same mechanics then yes, using the same mechanics you've already experienced with minor alterations can lead to game fatigue, but each game series Remedy has created (Max Payne, Alan Wake, and Quantum Break) all have unique stories and game mechanics.

(Also, he obviously decided to sit there and do nothing. Which doesn't sound fun. Would you choose to play like that if you had some satisfying and badass time powers at your disposal?)
Just watch the video before spouting out something that's not true. He left the game running in an encounter while he was AFK for 10 mins.

shandy706

This is one of the best games I've played in years. The detail in everything, the replay-ability once you realize that going back through the game will change everything you experience.

The radio chatter, the imagery throughout, the things people say. You see and hear so many things that suddenly make more sense and create this insane loop of a world that falls back across itself in gameplay.

The combat system is amazing too when you really grasp the flow of it and, after the first Episode, the TV show gets pretty darn good. I thought the first episode was a bit iffy, lol. Then they found their footing.

I put 20 hours into my first play-through just scouring every inch of the game. It's beautiful, has an interesting story, and absolutely packed with detail.

It's on my short list for GOTY. It's going to take a heck of a game to dethrone it.

So I guess I disagree with Joe, lol.

(In fact I was ready to turn off his review 3 minutes in...he's just plain wrong, 100% IMO)

Edit* He also seems to come across as "Too cool" to watch the TV show, which is there to explain the side stories and some of the side characters. You're an adult Joe, you don't half to act like that cool guy that is pretending to fall asleep, or things the "lovey" scene between a couple of the characters isn't something you want to see. Hur Hur. Just hit B twice and skip it. Extra details is the whole point of the show and fills in a lot of gaps. You can skip it, but it's worth watching to tie everything together.

You know what...I'll back some of my stuff even...

Edit** He says side characters in the story aren't even in the game till the end. WRONG...in fact the scene they're showing during that part included a character from the beginning of the game. The first level/act in fact. His interactions eventually lead to him changing his allegiances.

Edit 2** The door and time thing they go on about. The area he can't get through was not currently part of a stutter or broken time. The area he does a time change to get through a door IS IN A STUTTER and part of broken time at that point. It does work.

On that note....I can't shotgun my way through every door in Gears of War, Uncharted ETC. Why not just use a sword to bust through every area in Souls or other RPGS???!!@#!@!!

Edit 3** You know what I'm just going to call this review trash. Watched it twice now. He's off base in so many areas....do people fact check his stuff? This is why I don't watch YouTube personalities.

SomTervo

Just watch the video before spouting out something that's not true. He left the game running in an encounter while he was AFK for 10 mins.

Somebody already explained that- I was responding on that basis. Fair play that it wasn't intentional, but what you're saying doesn't actually dispute my point. My point in that sentence was that you can choose to sit there and play certain encounters like a cover shooter; but 1. that becomes increasingly less viable (in my most recent gunfights I'd be dead within 30 seconds if I sat completely still, because it happened to me more than once), and 2, would you choose to play like that if you were in control?

I didn't watch it, and yes, that sound pretty lame - but I can only think of a couple of parts of the game where that would be feasible. The lowest-tier enemies are very 'afraid' and don't rush you so much. They're common early on. You have to go get them. But the higher-tier enemies, whom you increasingly encounter, are always push push push and throw a lot of grenades. Towards the end of the game you're taking down near-armies of goons who are putting high pressure on you, even on Normal. His example sounds like very selective early-game context.

You should watch the video as should many of the posters in this thread who are upset. Joe gets up to attend to something else and leaves the game running.

CoG

What happened to Remedy?

I think they were under a lot of pressure to squeeze out a AAA "blockbuster" which isn't really their thing. I think if MS were hands off and let Remedy do their thing Quantum Break would have been a better game overall.

I don't understand why this dude always gets his own thread for reviews.

Do you ask this question whenever other threads are made based on other YT personalities? AVG, Noah Caldwall, Super Bunny Hop, Jimquisition?

This is a forum about gaming and like it or or not Angry Joe has his followers just like any other YT personality. I wish people would actually respect the mods here and let them decide what a thread should consist of instead of bitching about it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

SomTervo

You should watch the video as should many of the posters in this thread who are upset. Joe gets up to attend to something else and leaves the game running.

As I say two posts above, I fully acknowledge that, but it doesn't technically impact my argument.

I'm sorry that I can't watch the video. I don't have internet allowance to watch it right now.

I'm trying not to discuss the contents of the video and just engage with people in this thread, but sometimes its unavoidable (eg I know for a fact that many encounters, increasingly so as you progress through the game, cannot be played from behind cover, at least initially).

void666

Banned
Guuuys why does joe get his own thr... nah i'm joking.

Game looks average to me. It's unfortunate because i NEED a linear story focused game. Fuck open world.
But i think joe nitpicked too hard. Games have arbitrary borders because the game world is limited. Yes, sometimes it's dumb and it breaks immersion. But it's common and even his beloved witcher 3 does it.

I want to play quantum break but i'll wait for a price drop.

dt2

Banned

In the review we saw him sit in one spot for 10 minutes getting shot by an enemy intermittently at medium range and not even come close to dying.

Keep in mind that this isn't representative of every encounter. I played through the game on normal and hard and never ran across this. AI is not perfect and in any game you can find it doing weird things every now and then but generally this game is pretty good at keeping you under pressure and flushing you out of cover.

Vinland

Banned
I think people should realize that AJs review scores line up to what he thinks a retail asking price should be usually. I would take QBs jank and all even in 2016, for 25 bucks. MS seem to have issue with that so until me and MS can see eye to eye on its true worth to me then it won't get bought.

And IMO that is exactly what AJ intends his scores to be. A temperature gauge for retail pricing so you won't drop money you could have put elsewhere. Which is why I don't take value in a lot of reviewers these days who just build hype or that atleast I perceive in that way.

Krakn3Dfx

AJ has been getting his own threads for years. If after all this time you still cannot phantom why that is, I don't know what to say.

tumblr_lh57dtHCn51qccedco1_500.jpg

But yeah, seems like he always gets a separate thread for his big reviews. I don't really watch him, but meltdowns he seems to cause make these threads okay with me.

Ricky_R

Do you ask this question whenever other threads are made based on other YT personalities? AVG, Noah Caldwall, Super Bunny Hop, Jimquisition?

This is a forum about gaming and like it or or not Angry Joe has his followers just like any other YT personality. I wish people would actually respect the mods here and let them decide what a thread should consist of instead of bitching about it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I ask myself the same thing with Jimquisition (I don't know the rest). It's just something I find unnecessary because I believe they should exist only in the review thread, just like everybody else's.

Maybe if every single review gets posted separately, more people would ask the same thing?

dude gets over a million views on every youtube video he does, lengthy reviews, and they aren't counted in the weighted averages like MC which are what the review threads are for.

The review thread is for all reviews, not just the ones who are counted on ratings sites. Also, what does his views have to do with anything? Does he get privileges over those that aren't as famous? Should we post every review individually now?

Maybe there are some rules about this and I'm not aware. Anyway, I don't lose sleep over it, I just find it weird, tbh.

relax bro, I agree that a thread with angry joe reviews has merit, but he wasn't bitching about it.

SomTervo

Keep in mind that this isn't representative of every encounter. I played through the game on normal and hard and never ran across this. AI is not perfect and in any game you can find it doing weird things every now and then but generally this game is pretty good at keeping you under pressure and flushing you out of cover.

This.

I might even come back later today after work with some shakey cam footage of me sitting still and getting quickly killed in the game.

By and large its a pretty intense, tough action game with a lot of pressure put on the player. Far more than usual.

nynt9

It's also worth noting that AJ has 2.4 million subscribers on Youtube, which is quite a bit more than a lot of other creators who get their own threads.

I ask myself the same thing with Jimquisition (I don't know the rest). It's just something I find unnecessary because I believe they should exist only in the review thread, just like everybody else's.

Maybe if every single review gets posted separately, more people would ask the same thing?

Would other reviewers generate 12+ pages of discussion? Probably not.

It's also because Joe doesn't put that many reviews out. Maybe 1 a month or 1 every two weeks at most. It's not as if having a thread for each review is clogging the place up.

mocoworm

Angry Joe is clearly trying to be antagonistic in giving it a 5.

The game is incredible in both scope, story and artwork/graphics. The mechanics are well implemented and if you play it on 'hard' it can be quite challenging in places.

I disagree with this review. It is a solid 8/10 or a possible 9/10 in my view.

holygeesus

Banned
All the issues with the game he brings up are valid. I don't see how anyone can really argue with them. It always amazes me how people rush to defend games they have already played through to completion and enjoyed - you've had your money's worth out of it, so what does it even matter what someone else then thinks of it?

Bishop89

That's absolutely hilarious. But not in the way he wants you to think. He wasn't even walking the character thru the actual bullet, but the light beam that it left behind. Angry Joe? More like Whiny Joe fabricating a negative to me. And people take this guy seriously?
no its exactly hilarious in the way he wants me to think.

I love Joe's reviews because he always mentions issues and covers problems typical game journalists never seem to mention. This review looks to be no different.

The review thread is for all reviews, not just the ones who are counted on ratings sites. Also, what does his views have to do with anything? Does he get privileges over those aren't as famous? Should we post every review individually now?
I thought the review thread was for official ones. Ones that count on GameRankings and Metacritics n shit. Angry Joe is a dude just like us who has a YouTube channel dedicated to video game reviews, it gets a million views and like someone else said, has already generated 12+ pages of discussion right here. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure his review for a game comes out significantly later than the officials, by which time the review thread for the game here would be buried.

Maybe there are some rules about this and I'm not aware. Anyway, I don't lose sleep over it, I just find it weird, tbh.
No one said you're losing sleep over this, but I don't see what's weird about it. If you want to post an individual review of a game to discuss it, go ahead. Angry Joe threads seem purposeful for the reason that I explained.

The game is incredible in both scope, story and artwork/graphics. The mechanics are well implemented and if you play it on 'hard' it can be quite challenging in places.

Angry Joe disagrees, the game is a solid 5/10 in his view.

You're clearly trying to a hero by giving it an 8.

farisr

After having just finished with the game yesterday and checking this out, he definitely had a lot of valid points and many of them bothered me too.

For me it was still a solid game. But the loading issues/checkpoint system, mixed with camera issues and the final bossfight prevent it from being a great game. I loved the story though.

I can definitely see why he scored it a 5 since he wasn't really enjoying the story aspect of the game, which is a big focus. I mean I enjoyed the story for what it is, but I didn't pay too much attention to the narrative objects in the environment as I honestly don't find long notes to be good storytelling so I just avoid them, but I had questions at the end. Went to the spoiler thread and found out how much information was packed into those notes, some of which I wish was told upfront rather than hidden away in optional notes/audio files.

he ain't tryna be anything except honest, yo. he tells it like it is; his opinion, just like yours is that this game is a 9.
Thanks! Guess we will add the last of us on there too because of the video below.
bruh that's what I meant when I typed out tlour...

All the issues with the game he brings up are valid. I don't see how anyone can really argue with them. It always amazes me how people rush to defend games they have already played through to completion and enjoyed - you've had your money's worth out of it, so what does it even matter what someone else then thinks of it?

Because some folks -myself included- can get really invested in a game experience and really dig it. To have someone come and say that the game sucked can be perceived as an attack.

I'll give you a different example, I love all things rap/hip-hop. In class, back in 2012 the professor encourages a discussion of music and different types. I had this one dude just crap all over rap and what it stood for etc.

I felt offended, I thought he was crapping on my culture and the music that I like.

Same goes for games. I played Quantum Break and although it certainly had its faults I enjoyed the narrative which is what kept me going until the end.

By no means am I saying Joe can't have his say, of course he can. I'm just tryna explain why some folks may get upset.

To those people I'll say this, know who your reviewers are and what you expect. For example, I'm not a fan of AngryJoe, so guess what? Don't watch his reviews. Arthur Gies? Don't like the way he reviews either so I don't read him.

Ricky_R

I thought the review thread was for official ones. Ones that count on GameRankings and Metacritics n shit. Angry Joe is a dude just like us who has a YouTube channel dedicated to video game reviews, it gets a million views and like someone else said, has already generated 12+ pages of discussion right here. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure his review for a game comes out significantly later than the officials, by which time the review thread for the game here would be buried.

No one said you're losing sleep over this, but I don't see what's weird about it. If you want to post an individual review of a game to discuss it, go ahead. Angry Joe threads seem purposeful for the reason that I explained.

Nah, there are plenty of reviews on review threads that aren't accounted for on average sites. I just don't see why he can get his own threads, or any other reviewer for that matter, regardless of the reasoning.

Anyway, I dont want to keep derailing the thread. I actually enjoy his reviews most of the time as he usually offers legit criticism that I actually agree with.

Nah, there are plenty of reviews on review threads that aren't accounted for on average sites. I just don't see why he can get his own threads, or any other reviewer for that matter, regardless of the reasoning.
I already explained why he gets his own threads, or at least my take on it; he's a guy like us who made a YouTube channel making his own in-depth reviews and his reviews get millions of views. The merit of this thread's creation is reflected upon the fact that there's over 10 pages of discussion in it

Because some folks -myself included- can get really invested in a game experience and really dig it. To have someone come and say that the game sucked can be perceived as an attack.

I'll give you a different example, I love all things rap/hip-hop. In class, back in 2012 the professor encourages a discussion of music and different types. I had this one dude just crap all over rap and what it stood for etc.

I felt offended, I thought he was crapping on my culture and the music that I like.

Same goes for games. I played Quantum Break and although it certainly had its faults I enjoyed the narrative which is what kept me going until the end.

By no means am I saying Joe can't have his say, of course he can. I'm just tryna explain why some folks may get upset.

To those people I'll say this, know who your reviewers are and what you expect. For example, I'm not a fan of AngryJoe, so guess what? Don't watch his reviews. Arthur Gies? Don't like the way he reviews either so I don't read him.

This is ridiculous. There's absolutely no reason to get 'upset' over someone else not liking a game you like. It's not an attack, it's his opinion on a game. Can you not see how crazy that sounds?

mocoworm

he ain't tryna be anything except honest, yo. he tells it like it is; his opinion, just like yours is that this game is a 9.

I totally get that. I am just saying that having played the game, I disagree. He says at the beginning, 'do not buy this' or 'do not even play this game' or something like that. That's crazy and clearly hyperbole.

I totally get that. I am just saying that having played the game, I disagree. He says at the beginning, 'do not buy this' or 'do not even play this game' or something like that. That's crazy and clearly hyperbole.

Would you recommend that people buy it? That could just as easily been seen as hyperbole.

According to this thread, "You should buy this game" is totally fine, but "You should not buy this game" is crazy and hyperbole. I don't get it.

jennetics

Angry Joe reviews are getting more and more eye-roll inducing. I liked the guy before but for the past year or so, I haven't agreed on most anything he has said.

okay well you could say that about any reviewer though you know? i damn near disagreed with damn near every mothafucker that gave Me3 critical acclaim

Top Bottom