• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

I totally get that. I am just saying that having played the game, I disagree. He says at the beginning, 'do not buy this' or 'do not even play this game' or something like that. That's crazy and clearly hyperbole.

If you actually watch the whole thing. He said buy it at a discount which i totally agree after finishing the game on hard.

I don't understand why this dude always gets his own thread for reviews.

But why does this guy get his own thread for reviews?

Just take it up with a mod if it really bothers you or you think it's against the TOS or something...All us regular users aren't going to give you the answer you want since there have been several others already attempt to explain why this thread exists before either of you posted this.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I totally get that. I am just saying that having played the game, I disagree. He says at the beginning, 'do not buy this' or 'do not even play this game' or something like that. That's crazy and clearly hyperbole.

Of course he's going to tell his viewers not to buy it if he thinks it's a waste of money. It's not hyperbole, it's his opinion and if he truly thinks it's not worth the price he has a responsibility to his viewers to say so. After watching the review I certainly have no interest in buying the game, I was already disappointed with the poor PC port but if the game isn't even good to start with why bother at all? All the issues he mentioned were valid and backed up, if you can ignore them all and just focus on the good bits then more power to you.

_Ryo_

I have only watched the game on youtube but I gotta agree. I tried 2 times to watch an entire run but noped out the first time because the player was terrible, and the second time because the game was just too boring.

Also I don't think the TV show is an actual show, it's more like 20 minute cutscenes that take you away from the POV of the MC. I mean, think about it. Try to watch this tv show without having also seen the game as well and it's impossible to follow the story, so it can not work as standalone, which well, tv shows are supposed to do. They're just boring live action cutscenes.

that's just my opinion anyway. Not saying people are wrong for enjoying it but nah I wouldn't buy it or play it myself.

shandy706

Of course he's going to tell his viewers not to buy it if he thinks it's a waste of money. It's not hyperbole, it's his opinion and if he truly thinks it's not worth the price he has a responsibility to his viewers to say so. After watching the review I certainly have no interest in buying the game, I was already disappointed with the poor PC port but if the game isn't even good to start with why bother at all? All the issues he mentioned were valid and backed up, if you can ignore them all and just focus on the good bits then more power to you.

Some of his issues were lies though. See my previous comment.

Some of his issues are from not even understand the game and its story.....come on.

Some of his issues are in every video game ever....like TLoU, or Gears, or Skyrim...and on and on.

"Why can't I just shotgun blast this door open, this isn't fun or realistic." - derp

Absolutely no way I'd ever let his videos influence me based on that.

SomTervo

Angry Joe is clearly trying to be antagonistic in giving it a 5.

The game is incredible in both scope, story and artwork/graphics. The mechanics are well implemented and if you play it on 'hard' it can be quite challenging in places.

I disagree with this review. It is a solid 8/10 or a possible 9/10 in my view.

'Incredible' is an exaggeration imo - but it is very, very good and well above average on those three metrics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Some of his issues are from not even understand the game and its story.....come on.

Some of his issues are in every video game ever....like TLoU, or Gears, or Skyrim...and on and on.

"Why can't I just shotgun blast this door open, this isn't fun or realistic." - derp

To be fair, I think it's hilarious that the only way the guy could move a dumpster so that he could climb on top of it was to reverse time.

Lister

Banned

Lol, "lies". holy cow, this game already has a defense force. That was quick.

His issue with the door isn't that you can't do something you usually can't do in other games, but that the game's internal logic is violated when it fails to be consistent in how it deals with doors.

Chobel

Are you serious? He didn't like the game and you expect him to recommend buying it?

Permanently A

Just take it up with a mod if it really bothers you or you think it's against the TOS or something...All us regular users aren't going to give you the answer you want since there have been several others already attempt to explain why this thread exists before either of you posted this.

I was being sarcastic lol

i don't really watch his reviews to base whether or not I should buy the game, I usually watch them thinking that he's a guy like me who plays video games and his giving a lengthy opinion on what he likes, dislikes, and ultimately thinks of it.

anyways, what did he lie about?

So what? No one can ever mention them? Some of you have just lost it on this thread.

farisr

To be fair, I think it's hilarious that the only way the guy could move a dumpster so that he could climb on top of it was to reverse time.
It was a wtf moment when I got to that point in the game. I get the time reversing for construction stuff and and whatnot. But the dumpster was right there... The first thing I tried to do when I got to that part was to manually move it myself.

And yeah, the inconsistency with the climbing and jumping and what not bothered me as well. It didn't feel like the usual invisible wall game design type stuff, it was just inconsistent.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any other big reviewers who give honest opinions? I always get the feeling most reviewers are far too kind or biased and often brush over issues where's Joe brings them to light.

Revas

I'm still looking forward to playing QB. I always watch AJ's reviews but if a game doesn't click with him he becomes super nitpicky.

Osahi

Like it was explained before in this topic. His problem with it is the game shows earlier that you can open a door with timepowers, later you can't.

Personally, I found that example not good too. But the fact you can't climb a truck the same size of one you cán climb (in the same area nonetheless) is jarring and bad level design. QB is quite full of these examples. You can get on a van, but not on a dumpster. You can climb over a wall higher then Jack, but you need a box to stop on to get onto a container of the same hight, etc. A game like TLOU never introduced as mechanic to later take it away for the convenience of the game director. No, they stick to their guns. There is no moment in TLOU where you blast open a door with a shotgun, only to not be able to later. Thàt's what he means, and that's a fair critisism.

You also talked about the show and how he is 'wrong' you don't meet characters until later on, while the show for a great part revolves around that annoying hacker dude you don't meet later on. Yes, you meet that bloke with the pregnant wife earlier. So what? Even he barely plays a role in the story of Jack. He found the show cheap looking, badly written and unnecaisary, and I can't say he's wrong with that.

I get it, you liked the game and you're right to do so. Just as AJ didn't like it and is in his right to do so. No need to get all worked up about it.

Beefy

But why does this guy get his own thread for reviews?

Isn't it a bannable offense to moan about a thread?

Watched my friend play this and fuck the movie parts are boring as. The game also seems to limit what you can do for no reason. I like the idea of QB but not how it is done in this game.

Max_Po

Banned
Pretty disappointing that the Narrative is bad.....I was mostly interested in it considering it was Remedy.

I really enjoyed Beyond Two Souls

Osahi

If they weren't used as negatives previously, why should they be negatives now?

because it is not about the fact you can't do it in those games, it's about those games being consistant about what you can and cannot do, and QB isn't.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are there any other big reviewers who give honest opinions? I always get the feeling most reviewers are far too kind or biased and often brush over issues where's Joe brings them to light.

The one's that give your game of choice a perfect 10 of course. Honest and hard hitting!

farisr

Pretty disappointing that the Narrative is bad.....I was mostly interested in it considering it was Remedy.
While I agree with a lot of the points in this review, I found the narrative/story to be good. It is a highly subjective thing. I found the part of the review cutting to Joe and company "sleeping:" during the slight romance/intimate moment part of the tv show's first episode pretty childish. If you go in with the expectation that there will be basically 20 minute episodes at the end of each act, I don't think there should be an issue.

shandy706

Like it was explained before in this topic. His problem with it is the game shows earlier that you can open a door with timepowers, later you can't.

His issue with the door isn't that you can't do something you usually can't do in other games, but that the game's internal logic is violated when it fails to be consistent in how it deals with doors.

I pointed out that in one area you're in part of the broken time/stutter....in the other you aren't with the examples he gave.

The area with the dumpster is part of the broken time area/a stutter. You can even see it when standing near it.

The sky, the side of the building, etc...is fluctuating and broken.

So what? No one can ever mention them? Some of you have just lost it on this thread.

It's fine if one brings it up in every single game. No big deal, you can't cherry pick.

Bishop89

joe even says this. did ppl even wtch the video

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I've been disagreeing with Joe more and more and now I'm just going to unsubscribe. Can no longer rely on him for gaming reviews; we're just on two different pages.

Plus, his QB stream was laughably bad.
Damn people really are taking this to heart. How sad.

timlot

Banned
Polarizing game. Reviewers have an incentive to give negative reviews though. They seem to get the most attention and clicks. Once a big site like Gamespot or IGN gives a negative review that tends to provide cover for everyone else to do same. End of the day its just another persons opinion.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Polarizing game. Reviewers have an incentive to give negative reviews though. They seem to get the most attention and clicks. Once a big site like Gamespot or IGN gives a negative review that tends to provide cover for everyone else to do same. End of the day its just another persons opinion.

Well of course it's for the hits! He couldn't have just not enjoyed the game right? Rabid.

Osahi

I pointed out that in one area you're in part of the broken time/stutter....in the other you aren't with the examples he gave.

The area with the dumpster is part of the broken time area/a stutter. You can even see it when standing near it.

The sky, the side of the building, etc...is fluctuating and broken.

I said i didn't think it was a good argument because of that. The door you can rewind is clearly in a stutter...

But the critique the game is inconsistent with what you can and cannot do is valid. It annoyed the living hell out of me during the platform sections that the level designers chery picked what I could and could not climb. It was totally arbitrary, and the segment in the review with the van and the truck is a prime example of it.

Montresor

So he hurt your feelings ? Come on now.

Interesting that this was the conclusion that you made. The answer to your question is unequivocally No, by the way. Was there a way I could have phrased my sentence better to avoid eliciting this kind of unreasonable and unprovoked response/conclusion in the future?

in my experience, doesn't even matter the game, if gamespot or ign gives any game something lower than an 8.0, the dislike bar will grow and the comment section will be full of people mocking them saying they don't know how to do a review.

shandy706

I said i didn't think it was a good argument because of that. The door you can rewind is clearly in a stutter...

But the critique the game is inconsistent with what you can and cannot do is valid. It annoyed the living hell out of me during the platform sections that the level designers chery picked what I could and could not climb. It was totally arbitrary, and the segment in the review with the van and the truck is a prime example of it.

I don't disagree with the van thing, I even tried it myself. LOL

I am arguing that there are parts he showed, and things he said that are disingenuous. I'm arguing that he has some points that aren't accurate in that video. I'm not wrong in that assessment I don't think.

You have people in here arguing that clearly haven't played the game though, ha. (not directed at you)

I love getting called a defense force when I'm pointing out something that was in fact true to the game...and he said it wasn't. Thanks to that person, appreciate it guy/gal.

Some of you seem more upset about Joe being popular and having a following than you are about Quantum Break. Y'all claim to dislike him, then tune into his stream, claim you watch his videos and then just rag on him. If you don't like him, you don't have to watch.

prag16

Banned
Just watched this. I think he's somewhat off base with a few of his points, and he isn't necessarily "wrong" on the rest of them. But nevertheless, this is an easy 9/10 game for me, and current frontrunner for my personal GOTY (we'll see if it can fend off Uncharted and Deus Ex to keep that top spot).

lmao other Joe sleeps with his arms folded.
So I feel like his point about the controller falling asleep is dumb. If they kept the controller awake some critic would probably moan that it's wasting battery life. Just say the cut scenes are long and move on.

After watching some of the stupid inconsistencies of the game I can't wait for the dunkey video. Alan Wake's over use of physics game play sort of burnt me out so I'm not going to lose sleep over skipping this one. It wasn't until the DLC that I felt the game redeemed itself.

Averon

AJ isn't some no-name YouTubber. He doesn't need to make negative reviews to get hits.

Skenzin

Banned
I ended up listening to the reviews on Alan Wake and didn't pick it up until later. Holy Hell that game and RDR were probably my favorite 360 experiences. I vowed to never listen to reviews again. But every review of this game reinforces how I feel about the videos. :(

occelinho

Well QB is a 7/10 in my book, but I have to say I agree with pretty much everything he said.
The story is the sole reason I kept playing, but I'm still glad I finally finished the game.

I'm not trying to compare it with The Order, but I have to say the same thing about QB that I said about The Order: I hope it gets a (much) better sequel.
Both titles certainly do have the potential to be really great.

mocoworm

Would you recommend that people buy it? That could just as easily been seen as hyperbole.

I just rewatched, he says, 'It totally sucks. Seriously, don't play it'.

I class that as hyperbole. I don't think me saying that you should give it a try at least, is the same.

Montresor

People need to stop saying "Why does Angry Joe get his own thread".

The thread already has 650 posts. Evilore's policy is New News = New Thread. New Review = New Thread should be justified when the reviewer is as popular as he is. The reason Angry Joe has his own thread is because people like discussing his videos. You can't stumble into a thread that has 650+ posts and say "Why does this guy get his own thread".

Anyway, either way, I can't help but be a bit disappointed at the polarizing reaction this game has gotten, even though that is a bit of an irrational response. My experience with the game so far has been that I think this is the best game of the gen I've played up to this point - I love the music, stylized visuals, gunplay, story, pretty much everything. Oh well - it got made and I love it; not everyone else has to love it.

Top Bottom