• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival Announced (Wii U, Mario Party System, Holiday 2015)

jts

...hate me...
Much better.

Does it work with the Amiibo cards?

btw, why would they fail to omit such a crucial element as the fact that this software is free to download? Nintendo please.

Chaos17

The game was way cuter than I though and seeing all this assets just stab me hard in heart.

Much better.

btw, why would they fail to omit such a crucial element as the fact that this software is free to download? Nintendo please.

1. Yes and with Home designer game.
2. They probably didn't because they hope people would buy their bundle if this is confirmed.

fernoca

Much better.

Yeah, the cards work.

And officially they haven't said anything. The game was live on Treehouse right now and they just said at the end that it will be available for purchase this holiday.

Plus they also said that the board game is only part of the game, so who knows.

Maybe the board game only is a free download and whatever is the rest of it, makes for the full game(?)

daydream

Banned
looks way better than any mario party in recent history

seems like it's more like fortune street/monopoly than mario party, anyway

Chaos17

Yeah, the cards work.

And officially they haven't said anything. The game was live on Treehouse right now and they just said at the end that it will be available for purchase this holiday.

Plus they also said that the board game is only part of the game, so who knows.

Maybe the board game only is a free download and whatever is the rest of it, makes for the full game(?)

Physical bundle was confirmed, it will contain :

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 6 minil y a 6 minutes
#ACamiiboFestival will come packaged with two amiibo figures and three Animal Crossing amiibo cards.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/611265148422991873

See previous page for a picture. We don't know its price, yet.

Alfredo

I only caught a portion of the Treehouse stream. Is this actually a "game"? Or is it just "roll the dice to see if you're happy and then you win"? I saw there was a small game you could play with Katie, but it didn't seem very significant in interaction.

How do turnips come into play?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If this ends up being a port of New Leaf along with a board game, I'm in 100%.

Wouldn't be that hard to do.

Karkador

Banned
I only caught a portion of the Treehouse stream. Is this actually a "game"? Or is it just "roll the dice to see if you're happy and then you win"? I saw there was a small game you could play with Katie, but it didn't seem very significant in interaction.

How do turnips come into play?

If you look at how many parts of a traditional Animal Crossing game are left to random chance, rolling a dice to see if you're happy is not THAT much different, is it?

You can buy turnips every 7 turns, and then every space on the board has a price you can sell them for. So where you go starts to get influenced not just by what spot it is, but what you might be able to sell turnips for.

Alfredo

If you look at how many parts of a traditional Animal Crossing game are left to random chance, rolling a dice to see if you're happy is not THAT much different, is it?

You can buy turnips every 7 turns, and then every space on the board has a price you can sell them for. So where you go starts to get influenced not just by what spot it is, but what you might be able to sell turnips for.

You can overcome random chance in Animal Crossing by using its community features. Need a certain piece of furniture to complete your cannibal restaurant? Head to a community thread and look to meet up with someone who has it. Want a certain villager for your haunted ghost town? Go to Reddit and engage in animal trafficking. Turnip prices crap? Look online for better ones.

But, anyway, at least the turnip stuff sounds like more of a game.

Dr. Buni

You can overcome random chance in Animal Crossing by using its community features. Need a certain piece of furniture to complete your cannibal restaurant? Head to a community thread and look to meet up with someone who has it. Want a certain villager for your haunted ghost town? Go to Reddit and engage in animal trafficking. Turnip prices crap? Look online for better ones.

But, anyway, at least the turnip stuff sounds like more of a game.
That is one of my favorite things about AC, actually. The community is really nice and I like trading/buying stuff from other people on the dedicated AC forums. It's thanks to others that I have most of my favorite villagers in my town.

Anyways, can't say I am bothered by the lack of a proper Animal Crossing for Wii U, because I think the series is more suited for handhelds, but at the same time, seeing the brand being milked with an amiibo game is a bit sad. But people love amiibos, so yay I guess.

Grylvak

So is this like Disney Infinity 1.0 where the game by itself is free to download on the eShop, but with the figures its the full price? Or has this not been confirmed yet?

Karkador

Banned
You can overcome random chance in Animal Crossing by using its community features.

In this game, you can acquire dice cards from some of the animals, and that will give you a one-shot die result to use when you want.

It's not trading with friends, but that should help to mitigate the luck a little bit. Keep in mind that this is meant to be an abstracted "animal crossing experience", you play through a month in 1-2 hours. It's just a different kind of game, really, but as a fan of the series I think the theme of it is pretty neat.

Chindogg

I know :(

A man can dream.

Honest question, though: Would it really be that hard to pull off?

It depends on the underlying systems in New Leaf. Obviously the StreetPass stuff would either have to be stripped or completely reconfigued, which could be a dealbreaker right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEmEpDfraA

The girl is giving me Cammie DunAWAY teas.

"Good job KK!", "Aw I get to hang out with my friend!", "That made me happy!" and I'm sure there's more.

s09vTPf.gif

I actually like the idea behind this game. I get all the events I'd normally miss by having a real life. I don't know if my son would like it due to the heavy reading focus. He loves Mario Party 10 and Island Tour.

Josh5890

I actually wouldn't mind buying this for my younger sister, she loves everything Animal Crossing related and she digs Mario Party and Wii Party and etc etc

Still, Amiibo being right there in the title probably means I'm not able to get around that shit, so that's a gift idea out the window. Sigh. I was trying to be a grown-up and not sink my cash in plastic figurine crap, but now they might be mandatory to play a video game. Luckily it's not one I'm particularly interested in, but it's still ew

So I guess I can't be a grown up and collect amiibos huh?

And to your last point if a game is free but requires amiibos I think that is a good trade off.

Dr. Buni

So I guess I can't be a grown up and collect amiibos huh?
You can do whatever you want, just have in mind that you are part of the
problem
reason why Nintendo is making cash-in games like this AC Amiibo Festival thing.
And to your last point if a game is free but requires amiibos I think that is a good trade off.
It really isn't.

Cindro

looks way better than any mario party in recent history

seems like it's more like fortune street/monopoly than mario party, anyway

I actually like the idea behind this game. I get all the events I'd normally miss by having a real life. I don't know if my son would like it due to the heavy reading focus. He loves Mario Party 10 and Island Tour.
I just really, truly don't understand this perspective. I watched the treehouse live segment yesterday - the only gameplay there is is tapping your amiibo to the pad to roll (which isn't gameplay at all), and then deciding which direction to go when there is a split in the board's path or deciding when to play a dice roll card. Everything else just happens to you. Even the "events" that happen on the spaces you land on are stripped of the charm of Animal Crossing (for example, the lack of fish puns as mentioned above).

As terrible as Mario Party has been the past, uh, all iterations, there's at least a myriad of things to actually play with the mini games.

Amiibo Festival just seems like banging plastic together so you can read Animal Crossing fanfic written by someone at a junior high reading level.

I hope this isn't coming across as combative towards the people interested in the game, because I never mind when someone likes something I don't if they have a reason to like it. I'm just genuinely lost as to what the reason could possibly be here - I don't see how there could be any enjoyment gained from a round of this. It just seems so impossibly shallow and dull :(

If it is indeed free though, I'll assuredly play it as I plan on buying some of the amiibos regardless (as I'm a huge AC fan in general).

I haven't played Fortune Street, by the way, so I don't have that as a frame of reference for why amiibo festival might be enjoyable.

MisterR

I just really, truly don't understand this perspective. I watched the treehouse live segment yesterday - the only gameplay there is is tapping your amiibo to the pad to roll (which isn't gameplay at all), and then deciding which direction to go when there is a split in the board's path or deciding when to play a dice roll card. Everything else just happens to you. Even the "events" that happen on the spaces you land on are stripped of the charm of Animal Crossing (for example, the lack of fish puns as mentioned above).

As terrible as Mario Party has been the past, uh, all iterations, there's at least a myriad of things to actually play with the mini games.

Amiibo Festival just seems like banging plastic together so you can read Animal Crossing fanfic written by someone at a junior high reading level.

I hope this isn't coming across as combative towards the people interested in the game, because I never mind when someone likes something I don't if they have a reason to like it. I'm just genuinely lost as to what the reason could possibly be here - I don't see how there could be any enjoyment gained from a round of this. It just seems so impossibly shallow and dull :(

If it is indeed free though, I'll assuredly play it as I plan on buying some of the amiibos regardless (as I'm a huge AC fan in general).

I haven't played Fortune Street, by the way, so I don't have that as a frame of reference for why amiibo festival might be enjoyable.

I agree. I want to like this game, but it looks boring. There is hardly any game there.

daydream

Banned

i get where you're coming from but maybe this type of board game isn't for you, then. i mean, from what i've seen so far (and apparently they are gonna unveil more stuff which differs from what has been shown so far!), it seems like there's about the same level of agency as in a game like monopoly. either that appeals to you or it doesn't. i'd rather have a cool and fun one of those instead of a mario party which in its current iteration is a weird, unappealing mish-mash of both

the part i don't like about this is the amiibo focus, gonna need more details on that

Cindro

The part of monopoly that appeals to me is the prospect of becoming a wealthy mogul, bleeding your opponents into bankruptcy. There's strategy in Monopoly in terms of what properties to buy, and when to trade or sell with other players. It leads to a lot of dynamic interactions and conversations amongst the people you're playing with, which is where most of the fun is.

There IS the stalk market element in amiibo festival, but that seems to be the only thing to spend bells on (other than happiness points at the end with remaining bells). Then the only strategic element becomes "which of the four weeks during a month of board game play should I spend my bells on?", trying to get the lowest stalk prices. But that's nothing more than a random crapshoot, as there is literally no indicator of what the selling prices will be on a given week.

By the way - somewhat off topic, but I'm not sure if you saw me mention the official thread - my sister played against you in Splatoon a couple weeks ago! (unless there's another level 20 player named daydream, but I doubt it :p)

daydream

Banned
The part of monopoly that appeals to me is the prospect of becoming a wealthy mogul, bleeding your opponents into bankruptcy. There's strategy in Monopoly in terms of what properties to buy, and when to trade or sell with other players. It leads to a lot of dynamic interactions and conversations amongst the people you're playing with, which is where most of the fun is.

There IS the stalk market element in amiibo festival, but that seems to be the only thing to spend bells on (other than happiness points at the end with remaining bells). Then the only strategic element becomes "which of the four weeks during a month of board game play should I spend my bells on?", trying to get the lowest stalk prices. But that's nothing more than a random crapshoot, as there is literally no indicator of what the selling prices will be on a given week.

By the way - somewhat off topic, but I'm not sure if you saw me mention the official thread - my sister played against you in Splatoon a couple weeks ago! (unless there's another level 20 player named daydream, but I doubt it :p)

yeah, it's not a 1:1 copy of monopoly, for sure. i dunno, i honestly need more information on it to discuss it further, haha.

oh yeah, i saw your mention, just forgot to reply in the heat of the battle. and i totally remember your name popping up during that ranked match, too. "small world", i thought!

Toxi

Banned
I think part of the problem with a virtual board game is that in a real board game, there's the physical element of sitting across from other people and talking face-to-face. You lose that when everyone's looking at the TV instead.

Fantomex

I was wondering... Splatoon team made this right?

So why did we expect to see a full Animal Crossing title at E3?

I agree, and i'll buy it for Christmas to play it with my family and friends.

It's funny that you think that during the holiday season you'll have a shot of buying the amiibos to play this thing. Dudes are getting jobs at target just to secure there amiibos.
hehehehehe_duck.gif

Karkador

Banned

This game doesn't really have much to do with Monopoly.

It's more along the lines of Sugoroku, a much older board game out of Japan that has been iterated on many, many times (including videogame form). The historical design of it is kind of like, roll the dice and move to a space, with the board having a sort of narrative to it.

From what they've shown about the game, it seems like it's more along those lines. You land on spaces and different little events happen (which also give you money, or points).
So it definitely seems to continue in the tradition.

It seems you can also spend bells on buying cards to use instead of dice rolls.

When the stalk market starts, you can see that each space on the board has a selling price on it. Since you can move in different directions on the board, now you're thinking about what space to go to based on what type of event it might be, as well as what you can sell your turnips for on that space.

Selling turnips will give you money, but it seems like the money-to-points conversion at the end is something like 1,000 bells for a point, so there may be situations where going for events will net you more points.

I think part of the problem with a virtual board game is that in a real board game, there's the physical element of sitting across from other people and talking face-to-face. You lose that when everyone's looking at the TV instead.

Well, playing against the computer, or playing against someone online, is going to lack that for sure - but I think playing with someone in the same room will have a similar effect. This is probably why online multi in this game really doesn't matter much.

KHlover

Banned
The goal is to earn as many bells as possible before the end of the game, right? Why didn't they make this Monopoly: Animal Crossing edition? They could even keep the tarot stuff etc. in (doesn't need to be an 1:1 copy after all), all that would change is that they'd actually have a compelling base game.

Right now this looks like a mix of the boring parts of Mario Party and Game of Life :/

Jamie OD

The goal is to earn as many bells as possible before the end of the game, right? Why didn't they make this Monopoly: Animal Crossing edition? They could even keep the tarot stuff etc. in (doesn't need to be an 1:1 copy after all), all that would change is that they'd actually have a compelling base game.

Right now this looks like a mix of the boring parts of Mario Party and Game of Life :/

Animal Crossing: Fortune Street would work too.

Karkador

Banned

The goal is to get "happiness points", and it seems like bells will also convert to points automatically at the end of the game.

The idea of buying and trading properties, despite everything about housing that the games have always been about, doesn't entirely match the ethos of Animal Crossing.

I think the game is interesting in that the 30 turns of the game are the 30 calendar days of a month in animal crossing, and there are going to be different events and character visits on specific turns of the game, plus the stalk market thing that gives you 7 turns to turn a profit.

Bottom line is, I think a Monopoly game just wouldn't convey the flavor of Animal Crossing as well as what they're going for.

Kirlia

Banned
Seriously? Just Mabel but no Sable?

I'm honestly surprised that no one seems to notice that. No Sable! At least if Nintendo's going to gouge Amiibo buyers out of their money, include BOTH of the Gamecube Able Sisters. Not so sure about Label/Labelle since she was introduced in City Folk, but Reese and Cyrus are in the Amiibo set and THEY were introduced in New Folk.

danwu

Banned
The goal is to get "happiness points", and it seems like bells will also convert to points automatically at the end of the game.

The idea of buying and trading properties, despite everything about housing that the games have always been about, doesn't entirely match the ethos of Animal Crossing.

I think the game is interesting in that the 30 turns of the game are the 30 calendar days of a month in animal crossing, and there are going to be different events and character visits on specific turns of the game, plus the stalk market thing that gives you 7 turns to turn a profit.

Bottom line is, I think a Monopoly game just wouldn't convey the flavor of Animal Crossing as well as what they're going for.

This would work well as a mobile game, just like 5 minutes on a phone, once a day or week !

On the Wii U, you need about 10 to 15 minutes, which may feel a little too long to constantly play daily.

sonto340

Them saying this is only "part of the game" makes me feel like they might pull a blastball at a direct later this year and announce a full animal crossing with this as a side mode.

Either way I doubt this will get any play from me. And that comes from someone who owns all the currently released smash amiibo.
I think Nintendo over estimates the appeal of amiibo in general. I literally only care at all because I've wanted smash trophies ever since the first time I beat Classic in melee as a wee child. I could give a shit about animal crossing amiibo, as much as I love the series.

kunonabi

The fact that amiibo are required means there has to be something that gets saved to the figure so what we've seen is certainly not the whole picture. Now why they choose not to show that mode or mechanics is beyond me since just showing the amibo as a glorified dice roll in isn't going to over well in a game where you need them for it to even function.

Karkador

Banned
This would work well as a mobile game, just like 5 minutes on a phone, once a day or week !

On the Wii U, you need about 10 to 15 minutes, which may feel a little too long to constantly play daily.

It's not a "play every day" type of game, nor is it in real time.

Top Bottom