• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anno 2070 |OT| Time to Face the Future

Should I be too worried if I'm having framerate issues in the demo? I presume the game pushes systems much harder than that, which means I probably ought to wait until I upgrade. Right or wrong?
Turning shadows to low and turning off V-Sync really helped my framerate, in addition to turning post-processing to low as archnemesis suggested. Those three things combined made a huge difference, try that before you make your decision.
Also, my Anno name is InVinoVeritas. It would be great to have some Anno friends.

Kabouter

Never played a city builder before. What would be better to jump into, this or Civ 5?

If you want to jump into a city builder, this is the choice, because Civilization V isn't one ;). Seriously though, Civilization V is a rather flawed game, it's still enjoyable, but it has issues. Anno 2070 doesn't really have any major issues, and is just as accessible. I'd go with this. You might also find it a good idea to pick up a copy of the Civilization IV complete edition, which is still a great game, and you should be able to find it for a good price during a sale.

Kabouter

So if I really enjoyed the SimCity series I would enjoy this?

I wouldn't say it's quite like SimCity. In SC, needs for your citizens are provided by the right mix of industrial/commercial/residential and certain needs buildings (schools, hospitals etc.). In Anno, the focus is on providing the goods your population needs (along with needs buildings). This means setting up production chains and trade routes with your ships to ferry goods to your main island. Anno also has some combat elements. To get a sense of what it's like, I'd give the demo a shot.

I wouldn't say it's quite like SimCity. In SC, needs for your citizens are provided by the right mix of industrial/commercial/residential and certain needs buildings (schools, hospitals etc.). In Anno, the focus is on providing the goods your population needs (along with needs buildings). This means setting up production chains and trade routes with your ships to ferry goods to your main island. Anno also has some combat elements. To get a sense of what it's like, I'd give the demo a shot.

Thanks.

IGN posted their review a few days ago:
IGN said:
Dropping the familiar strategic economy simulation and city building gameplay into a new future setting really refreshes the franchise, but it's great to see that beneath its gorgeous new sci-fi sheen, Anno 2070 isn't simply a re-skinned version of its predecessors. While the many of the core elements remain intact, the new ecological focus adds a lot to the gameplay. Sure, I was lured in by Anno 2070's good looks, but its brains and depth that make this one a real beauty. She's a keeper.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1213873p1.html

I've finished up all the world events and now I'm struggling with the final mission in the main campaign. Hopefully I can wrap it up tonight.

Kabouter

Is there a 'sandbox' mode after the campaign?

All I see is the campaign. (Or is it single missions?)

There's a sandbox mode right away, it's why I've barely touched the campaign to be honest :p.
Go to mission map and instead of choosing one of the campaign options on the right side or the single missions one, choose continuous game.

Is there a 'sandbox' mode after the campaign?

All I see is the campaign. (Or is it single missions?)
There is a Continuous Mode (the equivalent of a sandbox mode) with three difficulty levels, a main campaign with three chapters and 11 missions, and 7 standalone single missions.

As part of the online mode, there are also daily Current Events (single missions) and meaty monthly World Events (mini campaigns).

ilMsM.jpg

sxlgM.jpg

Merino

Bought it today and having loads of fun with it. It's my first Anno game and it was actually the sci-fi that was pulling me in.
First sandbox game as Eco's is going okish though I got into real money trouble till I started trading away some products. Then I accidentally traded away to many products and had angry citizens not getting their precious phones.
Not sure though why exactly my finances got so shitty as I saw some youtube videos of people playing that had over 2 million but that will be a good goal to set for next game.

I'm intrigued aswell by the multiplayer option but unless I can convince one of my friends to pick the game up I doubt I'll be playing it alot.

New patch is live.

Patch notes version 1.02 said:
Main changes:
- First Ornamental Buildings for Ecos and Tycoons implemented.
- Stability and performance improved for several system specs.
- Unit limit increased.
- Fixed an issue in the winning screen of several campaign missons.
- Fixed a severe graphical issue that occurred on Windows XP with graphics cards of the ATI-Radeon-HD 2000 and 3000 series.

Additional changes:
- Fixed several small text issues, such as typos and overlappings.
- AI behaviour improved.
- Fixed an exploit that allowed the player to sink Keto as well as Trenchcoat using the EMP.
- Fixed performance issues related to toll items.
- Fixed an issue with the Start button.
- Fixed Achievements: "Floating Clearance ", "The Latest Technology", "The Entire Tech Tree", "Back to Nature", "Too Good to Throw Away".
- Fixed smaller issues in several quests
- Fixed smaller issues with the interface.

Fitz

Finally got around to playing this, and after doing the first four missions I realised they've really optimised the load times of maps, I haven't done a Continuous game yet, but the Campaign maps load in seconds, loading maps in 1404 always took around half a minute at least on the same system I'm running currently. Really happy about that, also loving the futuristic theme, it's really great.

Effect

I'm weak in the end I guess. My issues with Ubisoft's drm aside I think I'll be buying this game from Amazon.com tonight. They have the digital versions as well. I want to play a good city builder and I've gotten my fill out of Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 (both PC and Wii and loved both) for the time being. The future setting is just to much to pass up. It came down to a choice between Minecraft and this but this seems more my style given that I have played past games like this.

Aselith

Did anyone get the Deluxe version on Steam? I got it and I don't see my in-game items anywhere. Anyone know what the dealy is with these?

I never played an Anno game before but I'm having a good time and fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck does this game look and play great after I turned post processing to low with everything else maxed. Just so detailed and beautiful when you get in close and I love the art direction on the various buildings and units. Definitely going to be on this for a bit.

Fitz

Did anyone get the Deluxe version on Steam? I got it and I don't see my in-game items anywhere. Anyone know what the dealy is with these?

I didn't buy the Deluxe version, but it sounds like the first might be a character portrait, so I'd check your profile customisation and have a look and both your available portraits and the ones that are available to buy.
The second item seems like a research item, if you build an Academy (tech building) you should be able to research that item, then take it to your Ark and socket it to obtain the effect.

Aselith

I didn't buy the Deluxe version, but it sounds like the first might be a character portrait, so I'd check your profile customisation and have a look and both your available portraits and the ones that are available to buy.
The second item seems like a research item, if you build an Academy (tech building) you should be able to research that item, then take it to your Ark and socket it to obtain the effect.

Ah ok, I've just done the first two missions now but I had looked in my profile and it wasn't showing it as a reward, I figured it would show up there. I'll check it out when I get to the academy. Love the soundtrack for this game too!

Fitz

So I decided to have a go at beating Hector on hard today to unlock his portrait and it was a cakewalk. The thing is, the achievement, similar to the one to defeat Keto on hard I assume, only requires that the AI itself is on hard, every other map setting including the other AI in the match can be set to anything you want.
I just had everything on the easiest difficulty settings, the start was a bit rough as I couldn't keep a ship in the water for more than a minute and I made a few big mistakes with spending my money that slowed things down for me later, but once you've got a ceasefire with him you've virtually won. It's easy to keep a state of peace with him after that until you've built up enough ships to whittle down his fleet then move in for the kill on his lair.
I'm going to have a go at Keto next but I hear that she's much more challenging.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I really want this game but have been waiting for it to go onsale.... People of GAF! WHAT SAY YOU! Is it worth 50 dolla? I loved the last one and the future setting is oh so tempting!

Fitz

I really want this game but have been waiting for it to go onsale.... People of GAF! WHAT SAY YOU! Is it worth 50 dolla? I loved the last one and the future setting is oh so tempting!

No reason to hold back on buying it if you loved 1404, as far as gameplay goes 2070 is the same basis but deeper and better really. If you enjoy the sci-fi setting as I do, then that's just a bonus.

Ah ok, I've just done the first two missions now but I had looked in my profile and it wasn't showing it as a reward, I figured it would show up there. I'll check it out when I get to the academy. Love the soundtrack for this game too!

Yeah, he's right. The dolphin thing you have to research at the academy first.

Danj

There seems to be a sale on this game in the UK, it is £17.99 at Amazon UK and Play.com right now, should I jump on it?

Sucks having to wait for physical disc, but even with my 25% off Ubisoft coupon it would still be £26 on Steam.

ksimm

Woohoo my copy has shipped from Amazon, now to endure the long postal wait. :[
Still having a blast with Anno 1404 though which eases the pain.

Fitz

Anyone here had a go at beating Keto on hard? I managed to beat her yesterday after 2 days of trying multiple tactics. The problem I was having was that in the 2 hours 30 mins you get before she arrives I wasn't sure what was the best way to build up, I tried things like massing choppers and trying to tech to tier 4 and spam missiles but in the end I downed her really easily using probably the most obvious and simple tactic.

I just built Vipers until I was 1 point under my vehicle limit of around 40, then used the 3rd rank Auxiliary Fleet request from Thorne to bump my fleet up as high as possible. Once Keto arrived I split my fleet into two groups and hunted down all of her fleet, being very careful not to lose any of my own ships. After that I surrounded her flagship to prevent any spawns going loose, built some repair cranes on the nearest island to top up any damaged vessels then attacked with everything I had, the Colossus from Throne made a big difference.
If I'd spent more time trying to increase my population I could have probably gotten a much bigger fleet using the other Auxiliary Fleet calls as well.

If anyone else has a go at this I'd like to hear how, it's not that difficult in the end, but I bet some people who can build up faster than me could do some fancy stuff with Firebirds and the like.

iidesuyo

I loved Anno 1404 and put hundreds of hours in it. Despite its complexity it was easy to handle and the atmosphere was unique.

With Anno 2070 however I have problems. Everything looks the same and somehow the producers were trying too hard. For some reason this game feels overloaded and complicated, even though it's not much more complex as Anno 1404.

Aselith

I loved Anno 1404 and put hundreds of hours in it. Despite its complexity it was easy to handle and the atmosphere was unique.

With Anno 2070 however I have problems. Everything looks the same and somehow the producers were trying too hard. For some reason this game feels overloaded and complicated, even though it's not much more complex as Anno 1404.
I didn't find it complicated at all other than knowing how to advance tech as far as what you need to do. But I skipped most of the campaign also. I fidn't play the other anno games so I can't compare but it seems pretty easy to figure out.

iidesuyo

I didn't find it complicated at all other than knowing how to advance tech as far as what you need to do. But I skipped most of the campaign also. I fidn't play the other anno games so I can't compare but it seems pretty easy to figure out.

There was the point where I looked for the glass manufacturer and couldn't find it. Something that never happened in 1404. The tech tree itself is ok, but the visuals are confusing.

Oh man this looks fantastic. Loved the Caesar and Pharaoh games. Haven't even touched Civ 5 yet though so I will hold off until I magically get some free time somehow.

Saw the CE in EBgames the other day and was really impressed with it. Strategy gameso n PC seem to always have fantastic collectors editions.

WX3

Picked this up recently and I am having a good time with it despite it not being my cup of tea. I love the continuous mode, such a nice way to kick back and relax without the guidelines of a campaign. Good stuff, just wish I would have gotten it for the sale price since I snagged it on Steam. Oh well, worth it for sure. Alot of good info in the thread which I am thankful for as well.

Kabouter

Anyone seen this from the Anno 2070 survey yet? (Choices are mine, questions are what matters)

annosettingjzoje.jpg

yespleasea5oj2.jpg

Also, Ubi knows me entirely too well:
ubiknowsmhrl8.jpg

Anyone seen this from the Anno 2070 survey yet? (Choices are mine, questions are what matters)

Not yet. I filled out one of these after Dawn of Discovery came out. In that survey I said I would very much like an Anno game set in the future, so you're welcome.

Kabouter

Not yet. I filled out one of these after Dawn of Discovery came out. In that survey I said I would very much like an Anno game set in the future, so you're welcome.

Good call :p. Hopefully won't be too many people telling them they should make F2P Anno, because there were several questions in there about F2P games as well.

Top Bottom