• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Annoying" things you enjoy?

So I was in a Horizon thread, and a fellow gamer brought up annoyances he had with the Human A.I, and how they could persistently track you once you'd been spotted, which is a totally valid complaint.

I however treat each encounter like that as a stealth mission, and restart every time I get discovered. The perfectionist in me enjoys the thrill of clearing the camps like a bamf. I never really get frustrated with repeat tries, even if they start to number decently high lol.

What are some things that are supposed to be annoying that you weirdly enjoy?

Getting coins in Mario Kart 8. I just hold onto them if I'm in first place and use them if I ever get hit. They give a little speed boost and it helps offset the coins you lose.

AcridMeat

Banned
If you enjoy something it isn't an annoyance. It's difficult to answer that given you'll have the blinder of "I enjoy this."

I guess playing years of League of Legends when the majority of that game is toxic/anti-fun.

egruntz

shelaughz
Getting coins in Mario Kart 8. I just hold onto them if I'm in first place and use them if I ever get hit. They give a little speed boost and it helps offset the coins you lose.

Or you could aim for 3 bananas and block 3 hits to stay in first longer.

KillLaCam

Banned
Bloodborne chalice dungeons. Idk why everyone hates them so much. They're not even mandatory unless you want the platinum. But complaining about having to do something for a platinum is dumb anyway

Bumbling main characters in Ueda's games. I enjoy there being an everyman, normal aspect to the fantastically realized fiction of his games. It not being easy ass platforming like Ass Creed or Uncharted makes so much of his games.

Flarin

Time trials

Some of my favorite quests in Gravity Rush are the time trials. I LOVE finding ways to shave seconds off my time. I even got that impossible Titanfall 2 trophy where you have to be the training course under a certain time. I played that for literally 4 hours straight until I got it. That feeling of finally beating a time is so damn satisfying to me.

In Xenoblade Chronicles X I liked having to go to where a party member was hanging out to put them in my party and that they would change yo a different place at night.

It made me feel they were doing their own stuff and in the moments they weren't where they should be I knew it was an opportunity to find them and have a heart-to-heart.

I don't mind "Game Overs." Probably showing my age a bit, but I honestly don't feel like it's an outdated and archaic concept......as long as the game is fair.

hatchx

Banned

Also holding a coin ensures your next item won't be a coin (in MK8DX). Using coins right away is not the right strategy for 1st place.

CHC

No fast travel, inventory management, repairs, etc. I think the essence of RPGs is the journey and the whole town / dungeon dichotomy. It should feel like a relief when you're rolling back from the wilderness with your gear beat to shit, your inventory overflowing, and a whole bunch of status effects or other issues to tend to.

Tagyhag

Starting from absolutely nothing and slowly making my way to the top in games, even if I have to give myself some limitations.

Stuff like choosing Deprived on the Souls games and only being allowed to wear and use what I get from those I kill.

Or choosing the "Rock Bottom" beginning in Kenshi, which means beginning alone with absolutely nothing but a broken arm in a game that's already known for a seriously punishing difficulty.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Map icon chasing in open world games.
NdNGbXC.gif

In Xenoblade Chronicles X I liked having to go to where a party member was hanging out to put them in my party and that they would change yo a different place at night.

It made me feel they were doing their own stuff and in the moments they weren't where they should be I knew it was an opportunity to find them and have a heart-to-heart.

That entire thing would have been totally fine if the map had been useful at all in tracking your characters.

Opa-Pa

Save Points.

People want autosaving/save everywhere in everything, which is baffling considering how much those can clash with the game design. I blame western AAA junk for spoiling them.

TheFatMan

Cluttered maps with lots of fetch items.

Like Assassin's Creed or Dragon Age Inquisition.

I love this shit and I spend hours doing all of it. I know most people hate it, but I love it.

Lack of autosave and moderate/long spaces between saving. The possibility of losing progress creates tension, no matter the game or genre, and forces you to learn how to play. Just make the game balanced along with no camera issues and I'll buy it.

1upsuper

Permadeath
Breakable weapons
Forced NG+ playthroughs to get the whole experience
Games that treat victory as an achievement and not a guarantee
Grinding
Obscure/esoteric puzzles

Nicolada

Underwater levels. I like getting used to a new set of swimming controls and field of exploration. Also I just really enjoy underwater aesthetic in general.

Grinding, to an extent. As long as there's a good reward for doing so.
Yeah, depends on the drop rate if I'm trying to grind for an item/weapon.

I also LOVE to overlevel in RPGs, I never play them for the depth of turn-based combat, I always just bulk up my team until they're basically unkillable.

Repetitive action games, to an extent. I almost always find fun in Musou games, especially when played as a palette cleanser after a long RPG. Throw on a podcast and just Triangle and Square fools to death.

GonzoCR

Grinding, to a certain extent. Played Runescape for almost 6 years and that game was all grind when you weren't questing.

Reset

QTEs for boss fights, the ones that are in the GoW games and Naruto games. But then again, I think the people who hate QTEs are a small old people with slow reflexes vocal minority on Gaf

Top Bottom