• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Use Turtle Beach DSS? (Mixamp Pro Alternative)

Amazon has the newest Mixamp Pro on sale for $80 and I was going to order it but it seems overpriced to me. I have a PS4 and after reading this thread I'm interested in using headphones as well but I don't want to give up my 5.1 system for stereo headphones. So I started looking for Mixamp Pro alternatives and I came across the Turtle Beach DSS and DSS2. Since it was only $11 used, I ordered the DSS from Amazon along with an optical cable for $6.

While I wait for my equipment to come, I was wondering if anyone on Gaf has any experience with the DSS or DSS2? Is the DSS2 better than DSS and are both comparable to the Mixamp Pro? I just want a device that can convert the stereo audio in my headphones to surround sound. I don't think I'll need a DAC/Amp because I'll be using my Pendulumic Stance S1+ and these have a built in amp, but is there an external AMP you'd recommended? I was thinking of getting a FiiO E10K for my PC but if there is a (cheaper) alternative to that I'd also like to know.

Daffy Duck

I haven't used a DSS2 but I did have a DSS that I had, but I was unhappy with how it sounded so I bought some Astro A40's and a Mixamp and there was a definite difference for me in the sound quality and audible cues between the two (I tested them in the same game GTA IV) right after one another.

This kind of thing is very subjective.

I haven't used a DSS2 but I did have a DSS that I had, but I was unhappy with how it sounded so I bought some Astro A40's and a Mixamp and there was a definite difference for me in the sound quality and audible cues between the two (I tested them in the same game GTA IV) right after one another.

This kind of thing is very subjective.

What didn't you like about the DSS? How was the surround sound? I think the Mixamp has its own DAC/AMP so it should produce better sound, but I'm mainly interested in the surround sound capabilities of DSS vs Mixamp Pro.

I had the DSS2 with my X12's on the Xbox 360. It worked well enough for a cheap to mid-range setup. It took me a while to find the right "surround sound" angles preset, but apart from that, I had no issues.

It's a bit of a gimmick to be honest, as is the whole concept of virtual surround, but the product itself is good for what it is. Just don't expect any mind-blowing Dolby Atmos levels of sound quality.

Daffy Duck

What didn't you like about the DSS? How was the surround sound? I think the Mixamp has its own DAC/AMP so it should produce better sound, but I'm mainly interested in the surround sound capabilities of DSS vs Mixamp Pro.

There was nothing not to really like about the DSS, I mean it's just a tiny little box of tricks really.

As I said, on the mixamp I head more of the atmospheric sound cues in GTA IV (I chose to stand next to the preacher guy to test this out) than I did on the DSS (the volume was way up on the DSS as well compared to it being on a lower level on the mixamp).

Also sound cues just sounded better (and louder again on a lower volume level) on the mixamp in CoD.

b0bbyJ03

I currently have them both (DSS and mix amp pro). The mix amp is better for sure but not a whole lot. For the money u spent you'll be very happy.

DSS is true Dolby 5.1 while the DSS2 is a custom/inferior 4.1 FYI, so go with the original model if you have the choice. I'm happy with mine.

Top Bottom