• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: New Zelda is not inspired by Skyrim; played because name similar to Skyward

Rattus

Neo Member
Although a Skyrim type game with the Nintendo Polish would be pretty amazing, I'm glad they're doing their own thing still.

I'd like them to go the classic Zelda route though. Like the first game. Let you do whatever you want, go to dungeons at your own pace, and figure things out yourself.

And allow me to explore as much of the world as I want from the get-go. Even if it means some monsters I'm not prepared for kick my ass occasionally! I recently started playing Skyrim for the first time. It and Xenoblade made me feel like I was a bold adventurer. Zelda games recently are much too "handholdy" and I don't like the way they close off so many sections of the world for story purposes.

For inspiration Aonuma (or whoever succeeds him) needs to look much further back than ALTTP. He needs to look to Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES.

Giolon

Aonuma said:
I started playing Skyrim because the name was so close to "Skyward Sword" and I wanted to see what that was about. [laughs] I didn't pick it up because it was popular or because it was getting good reviews or anything like that. I just wanted to take a look at it. "Oh, okay, this is what this game's about.

Damn Aonuma, you so tsundere!

This has got to be the biggest derp derp moment I have seen from Nintendo. -_-

They truly are lost and out of touch with the industry. Nintendo should make it a point for their lead producers/designers to play the highest critically acclaimed games in the industry and keep up current events, but nope, we get derp responses like this more often than not.

Unbelievable.

Faaip

Neo Member
I'd like them to go the classic Zelda route though. Like the first game. Let you do whatever you want, go to dungeons at your own pace, and figure things out yourself.

I'd like to see this as well. Almost like what Dark Souls did, but with a more vibrant world to explore and more things to interact with like in past Zelda games.

Also a few more side quests would be nice, like the Biggoron's Sword quest in Ocarina. Quests that are optional an perhaps challenging but are rewarding upon completion.

Nyoro SF

Seeing those first few Q&As reminds me of when Kamiya said he hadn't been home during W101 development for about 7 months.

Or any of Yoshinori Ono's stories.

The game industry is a rough business, and in Japan it's even rougher.

-KRS-

All of this:

Jeez, I feel sorry for Aonuma and his family. I hope Nintendo gives him some well-earned vacation time soon. And maybe let him do something else besides Zelda when he comes back. Sounds a little like he could use some change.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

They truely are lost and out of touch with the industry.

Didnt know it was possible but I take you even less serious than before, it was already pretty damn low, but it just got lower.

D-e-f-

Banned
I never understood why people had to compare Skyrim and Skyward Sword other than both releasing close to each other

Because open world is Teh Best and Skyrim reminds people of Zelda 1's complete openness in contrast to Skyward Sword's more linear structure.

Also, #gamesjournalism

Wow you got a new high score

Didnt know it was possible but I take you even less serious than before, it was already pretty damn low, but it just got lower.

So you are satisfied with Nintendo's lead producers/designers being ignorant to the latest and greatest in game design and technology?

From Aonuma's comments and many of Miyamoto's comments at E3, I believe it's not Nintendo's policy or concern to understand what is currently the leading edge in the industry.

wrowa

Wow, the parts about his family life are surprisingly honest and harsh. Sounds like Nintendo is putting him in a terrible situation. Of course, that's the case in pretty much every bigger company as soon as you are in charge of very important projects or part of the executives, but that doesn't really make it any better.

It's not helping the quality of his games either, so it's a lose-lose situation all around.

Thinking about it, Aounuma is probably in the worst situation of any Nintendo producer. In contrast to the Mario franchise he's the only producer of the Zelda franchise and responsible for everything they put out, on the other hand the Zelda games are probably the most difficult to manage, considering that they are being developed by EAD's biggest teams (and I don't want to know how much the lattest games in the franchise suffered from internal politics). And instead of receiving praise, fans tend to criticize his games and his person more and more with every Zelda he puts out...

Hopefully Nintendo finds a solution for this soon. Overworking Aounuma is of no use to anyone.

D-e-f-

Banned

They truly are lost and out of touch with the industry. Nintendo should make it a point for their lead producers/designers to play the highest critically acclaimed games in the industry and keep up current events, but nope, we get derp responses like this more often than not.

Unbelievable.

tumblr_m73gbwdGaA1r79xuto1_500.gif

wrowa

So you are satisfied with Nintendo's lead producers/designers being ignorant to the latest and greatest in game design and technology?

From Aonuma's comments and many of Miyamoto's comments at E3, I believe it's not Nintendo's policy or concern to understand what is currently the leading edge in the industry.

Did you even read the interview or did you stop reading at the headline?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I'm sorry im not going to give you a proper answer.

Just because they wont follow a skyrim template? Skyrim does not equal Zelda. Zelda is a one of kind genre nothing compares. Not darksouls, not darksiders, not darkokami and especially not darkskyrim.

Kyzon

And allow me to explore as much of the world as I want from the get-go. Even if it means some monsters I'm not prepared for kick my ass occasionally! I recently started playing Skyrim for the first time. It and Xenoblade made me feel like I was a bold adventurer. Zelda games recently are much too "handholdy" and I don't like the way they close off so many sections of the world for story purposes.

For inspiration Aonuma (or whoever succeeds him) needs to look much further back than ALTTP. He needs to look to Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES.

Agreed. I need enemies that can really kick my teeth in so I have to actually put effort into defeating them. Now-a-days, it seems like Nintendo is really just trying to up the puzzles in the game. They're not trying to give us a challenge like they used to. Also, Zelda 2 Master Race. That game is extremely difficult, but oh so satisfying.

I'd like to see this as well. Almost like what Dark Souls did, but with a more vibrant world to explore and more things to interact with like in past Zelda games.

Also a few more side quests would be nice, like the Biggoron's Sword quest in Ocarina. Quests that are optional an perhaps challenging but are rewarding upon completion.

Games like Dark Souls, and The Elder Scrolls seem to take a little inspiration from the old Zelda games, and now it feels like the newer Zelda games refuse to remember their roots. I could definitely use some side quests though. Those that give you optional, but useful weapons.

Hell, give me something to do after I finish the final boss.

Hobbun

All of this:

Ugh.

Poor Aonuma, they really need to take him off Zelda for awhile.

I don't have the pics readily available, but I remember when he first started doing Zelda he looked happy, his hair was dark and he looked eager what was ahead. Then there was a picture not all that many years later that his hair was significantly graying, he looked tired and not happy. And this 'older' pic was at least a few years ago now.

I don't know who else would do Zelda (since Miyamoto isn't really involved anymore), but they need to take it out of Aonuma's hands for awhile. Give him his well needed and deserved (long) vacation.

Unbelievable.

When there's even a slight chance to make an off-hand, dumb-ass criticism of Nintendo's business practices, he'll be there, with nothing further or insightful to say. Just one drive-by post will do.

Codeblue

I'm not sure that you can say they're ignorant to it just because they don't allow themselves to be influenced by it.

Did you even read the interview or did you stop reading at the headline?

Yes, I read the story. Aonuma only played skyrim because of the name being similar to Skyward Sword. This is the ignorance I'm talking about.

I was hoping that he played the game because Nintendo had a policy for their developers to play critically acclaimed games so the would learn what is the leading edge in game design. Obviously that is not the case.

Ugh.

Poor Aonuma, they really need to take him off Zelda for awhile.

I don't have the pics readily available, but I remember when he first started doing Zelda he looked happy, his hair was dark and he looked eager what was ahead. Then there was a picture not all that many years later that his hair was significantly graying, he looked tired and not happy. And this 'older' pic was at least a few years ago now.

I don't know who else would do Zelda (since Miyamoto isn't really involved anymore), but they need to take it out of Aonuma's hands for awhile. Give him his well needed and deserved (long) vacation.
If he would let them. I think I remember some interview or something koizumi said maybe he should do zelda again or something and aonuma was all.."Umm hell naw you dats my shit brah."

gemoran4

I'm surprised by the reactions on here. It didn't need to be skyrim with a zelda coating on top, but I honestly the idea of an open world zelda was interesting. I guess in my mind the game be almost like a modern interpretation of the original. Non-linear, open world where you would explore, find secrets, discover dungeons, collect pieces of the triforce and fight ganon. Maybe not exactly like that, but given that the 1st zelda is still my favorite i was definitely intrigued by the mindset.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Ocarina of Time style, but I think this would have been a neat change-of-pace, and it would have brought zelda back to it's roots a bit.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can a game developer play games he decides he wants to play. Come on NeoGAF. Give the guy a kitkat bar.

Seda

I bolded the last sentence as that's a significant takeaway here with regards to his philosophy towards Zelda and how it is inspired.

Yes, I read the story. Aonuma only played skyrim because of the name being similar to Skyward Sword. This is the ignorance I'm talking about.

I was hoping that he played the game because Nintendo had a policy for their developers to play critically acclaimed games so the would learn what is the leading edge in game design. Obviously that is not the case.

Christ is he being judged for a quirky reason to pick up and play a videogame? Skyrim was the leading edge in 2011. There's no reason whatsoever for them to ape it, and there's no reason for you to jump on him for it.

Hobbun

If he would let them. I think I remember some interview or something koizumi said maybe he should do zelda again or something and aonuma was all.."Umm hell naw you dats my shit brah."

Well, how long ago did he say that?

With his quote from the recent interview on wanting to take a vacation and spending more time with his family, hopefully his stubborness has receded on that.

sphagnum

Banned

Koizumi. He has a history with the franchise and has expressed interest in it before.

Ocarina of Time 3D Iwata Asks said:
Koizumi
Aonuma-san, wanna switch with me on Super Mario Bros. sometime?

Aonuma
Hey, that sounds good… Not!

Koizumi
I'll make the next Zelda game. Then you can enjoy playing it.

Aonuma
No way. (firmly)

Everyone
(laughs)

I like how from the same interview where Aonuma talks about how overworked he is and how he wants to spend time with his family, the only thing you'd glean is that he needs to play more video games.

They do have lives, you know.

Just because they wont follow a skyrim template? Skyrim does not equal Zelda. Zelda is a one of kind genre nothing compares. Not darksouls, not darksiders, not darkokami and especially not darkskyrim.

I'm not critizing Aonuma for not following Skyrim.

I am criticizing him for only playing Skyrim because it sounds like Skyward sword. I am criticizing Nintendo for not having a policy that requires their game developers to play critically acclaimed games. Because to me, this means Nintendo is far behind in game design and the new Zelda will be just another template of aLttP.

-KRS-

Nintendo likes to do their own thing and seems to try to not follow the latest trends etc just for the sake of it, whether it comes to software or hardware. Sometimes that's good, other times it's not good. Historically they used to be the ones who set the trends and I think that might have something to do with it. They still want to be trend setters and not be influenced by other games too much, perhaps out of pride for their legacy and wanting to live up to that standard.

But recently it is starting to bite them in the ass and maybe they should look more at what other devs are doing. At the same time though, if Nintendo games were just following the trends of other popular games out there, they would start to lose their magic a bit. So it's a weird situation. They want to stand out by coming up with something unique but the way they're going about it recently has been pretty hit or miss, and they haven't really set any new standards in a long time now.

StevieP

Banned

I am criticizing him for only playing Skyrim because it sounds like Skyward sword. I am criticizing Nintendo for not having a policy that requires their game developers to play critically acclaimed games.

Just so you know, nobody in the industry has a policy requirement of this nature. As in "you must play x games in a non-related genre to your own per year to retain employment". But then really, why am I bothering.

Codeblue

I am criticizing him for only playing Skyrim because it sounds like Skyward sword. I am criticizing Nintendo for not having a policy that requires their game developers to play critically acclaimed games.

Does anyone employ an official company policy like that?

Man, every clarification you post only makes less sense.

Unbelievable.

You, my pal, are a serious drama-llama.

Dr.Hadji

Good lord...

It's time for Koizumi to take the reins of Zelda for a while.

But Koizumi is has almost become another GAF pariah for making that lazy, handheld rehash of a game in Mario 3d World. He made awesome games before? Who cares. We're a "what have you done for me lately" culture. He can go join Sakamoto and Eiji for tarnishing such a Nintendo classic.

Seriously though, who says Koizumi would even be well suited to make a Zelda game? Since he made his solo debut year ago on Jungle Beat, he seems like hes well suited in making linear style action games. And the common complaints people have about Zelda are things he doesn't deal with in the games he makes.

ZiZ

I love skyrim, but it really shouldn't inspire Zelda.

If Anouma is looking for a game to inspire him he should check out this game called Major's Mask.

Anth0ny

they're working this guy to the bone eh

I think it's time to give the reigns to Koizumi for a bit. Give Aonuma some vacation time.

Top Bottom