• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: New Zelda is not inspired by Skyrim; played because name similar to Skyward

Ridley327

Zelda Wii U will be the first multiplayer heavy 3D Zelda. It will be set in Hyrule, but there will be more than one mount available, and will have a dumb Monster Hunter-esque crafting system bolted on.

If the crafting system lets me craft a Darknut sword and a hat made from an Octorok, then it is obviously not going to be dumb at all!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I seriously would not be surprised to see the things I mentioned implimented. Skyward Sword was already dicking around with silly resource based crafting. I'm certain Nintendo would be interested in exploring multiplayer in 3D Zelda. And they're always up for trying new mounts out (see: boat and bird), so why not?

And DLC content would not surprise me either. It's not that far fetched given the DLC Nintendo has already provided so early on in the Wii U's life cycle, and what they've done on the DS.

RagnarokX

Zelda Wii U will be the first multiplayer heavy 3D Zelda. It will be set in Hyrule, but there will be more than one mount available, and will have a dumb Monster Hunter-esque crafting system bolted on.

Also, instead of slashing the sword, the sword will fire shots of energy that you have to aim. All of the other weapon items will also be aimable projectile firing weapons.

All interactive objects will be painted the same bright color and glow.

There will be an optional Courage Eye mode that will highlight important objects even though they are already glowing. Whenever you encounter a new mechanic this mode will trigger automatically even though it was supposed to be optional.

It will be fast paced. Most of the gameplay will be combat. Puzzles will still exist, but most of them will be in optional grottos and be super easy. You will be accompanied by a fairy with full voice acting who will give you clues whether you ask for them or not.

Health will automatically regenerate.

There will be a pointless crafting system and ability upgrade mechanic that will add nothing to the gameplay.

This will make Zelda the GOAT.

I really don't get why Aonuma is kept chained to Zelda. Some interviews I've read even make it seem like he's there entirely of his own volition(eg. when he-jokingly, I guess-refused the Mario Galaxy's dev's offer to make the next Zelda)

The man is clearly talented, no doubt there. But he's made his mark with the Zelda games. They've petered out with the last few releases. Hand over the reigns and go make something that really sets your imagination ablaze again, dude.

Ridley327

Also, instead of slashing the sword, the sword will fire shots of energy that you have to aim. All of the other weapon items will also be aimable projectile firing weapons.

There will be an optional Courage Eye mode that will highlight important objects even though they are already glowing. Whenever you encounter a new mechanic this mode will trigger automatically even though it was supposed to be optional.

It will be fast paced. Most of the gameplay will be combat. Puzzles will still exist, but most of them will be in optional grottos and be super easy. You will be accompanied by a fairy with full voice acting who will give you clues whether you ask for them or not.

AN ADVENTURER IS BORN

D-e-f-

Banned

There will be a pointless crafting system and ability upgrade mechanic that will add nothing to the gameplay.

I'm actually really looking forward to Arkham Origins.

Speaking of multiplayer Zelda, I'd... actually be interested in seeing something implemented along the lines of Four Swords Adventures but in a 3D environment.

D-e-f-

Banned
No he's so rich and got so much swag he doesn't give a shit. Skyrim? Sky? As in Skyward Sword? Bought. Every game with the word sky. Bought.

Every rupee you collect in one of his Zelda games is 100 yen directly into his bank account.

RagnarokX

I'm actually really looking forward to Arkham Origins.

The Arkham games are good. They have decent puzzles and don't insult the player by making things too obvious. Detective mode is pretty much optional. The upgrade system also enhances the gameplay.

I was referring to Tomb Raider reboot which, despite having insulting levels of handholding, is beloved by many on GAF while Skyward Sword, which has nowhere near as much handholding, is hated.

Though Arkham Origins does seem like a shameless cashgrab and I'm not very hyped for it.

javac

Every rupee you collect in one of his Zelda games is 100 yen directly into his bank account.

...No wonder he tells us to collect them all. IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Nintendo redefining in game micro transactions. Damn you Nintendo!

I thought it sounded insane enough for people to realize I was clearly joking but I guess a lot of nutty commentary has been coming and going lately its hard to deduce anything anymore.

Well, that plus the hate that Zelda seems to get lately, that it isn't "relevant" anymore or whatever. It's true that I do take most posts at face value, all things considered. That being said, it's nice to know you don't feel that way. :)

spekkeh

Banned
I started playing Skyrim because the name was so close to "Skyward Sword" and I wanted to see what that was about. [laughs] I didn't pick it up because it was popular or because it was getting good reviews or anything like that.

I dunno, maybe Zelda is zich a comfortable surefire seller that you can get away with being ignorant. But it seems to me that if you're a producer and you're not continuously ascertaining what is popular and getting good reviews, you're doing a crummy job.

Well, that plus the hate that Zelda seems to get lately, that it isn't "relevant" anymore or whatever. It's true that I do take most posts at face value, all things considered. That being said, it's nice to know you don't feel that way. :)

Trust me I don't. I bought my Wii U for a HD remake of a game I consider one of the greatest of all time. A full console for a remake. Ironically the last time I did that was for a Nintendo console as well.

RagnarokX

I thought it sounded insane enough for people to realize I was clearly joking but I guess a lot of nutty commentary has been coming and going lately its hard to deduce anything anymore.

People have made the same argument seriously. Zelda being just more of the same while simultaneously being too different. I've noticed it's spreading to other Nintendo franchises as well. Mario 3D World is just more of the same because it's too different from Mario 64.

You don't remember all of the "Zelda formula" complaints?

AmyS

More here in an interview with Jeremy Parish, mostly about Wind Waker HD with some vague comments about the possibilities of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword HD.

I will be getting Wind Waker HD without a doubt. That said, I'd be ecstatic for a Twilight Princess HD remake. Loved that game for its massive overworld and dungeons. However the overworld would have to be redone so that it's no longer barren and nearly lifeless.

There's no telling what Zelda U will be like, gameplay wise, though I truly hope they use an improved version (art & tech) of the Wii U tech demo from 2011.

Zelda's future looks pretty bright IMO from what has been officially said to date.

Albo

giphy.gif

Needs more bloom

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
USGamer: Thank you very much for meeting with us. Have you been able to take any time off since Wind Waker HD's development closed?

Eiji Aonuma: No, we've had no sort of break. A Link Between Worlds is going into the final stages and we're working hard. Even when I get home, I'm getting home late. I want some vacation. I want some time off.

USG: How much longer do you have on A Link Between Worlds before you get that time off? Or do you even get time off after that?

EA: What we're looking at, really, is a sort of trend. I finish one project and the next one is just overlapping. My family is not happy.

USG: But they do like Zelda games, right?

EA: My son absolutely does like Zelda games, and my wife has started playing the Zelda games as well. So that's great. They understand that I'm making this games, but… They're my family, and the fact that we're not taking vacations together, not going anywhere, it's not making them happy. We're trying to find a balance. It's tough. It's a whole different set of problems.
Poor guy.

Give him a break, Nintendo. He's more than earned it. Don't crush his soul and ruin his family.

D-e-f-

Banned
The Arkham games are good. They have decent puzzles and don't insult the player by making things too obvious. Detective mode is pretty much optional. The upgrade system also enhances the gameplay.

I was referring to Tomb Raider reboot which, despite having insulting levels of handholding, is beloved by many on GAF while Skyward Sword, which has nowhere near as much handholding, is hated.

Though Arkham Origins does seem like a shameless cashgrab and I'm not very hyped for it.

Huh, haven't played that yet :)

Just made me think of detective vision and Alfred phoning in :)

Toparaman

Banned
Poor guy.

Give him a break, Nintendo. He's more than earned it. Don't crush his soul and ruin his family.

It's unhealthy creatively as well to have an overworked, sleep-deprived guy leading a project. Aonuma needs to take a break both for his sake and Zelda fans'.

Let's get some new blood in.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Poor guy.

It's like condensed workplace misery and stress and awful job requirements condensed into a couple of paragraphs.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I think it's time for Zelda to be handed over to someone else for a while. Aonuma sounds burned out and depressed since he never gets to spend any time with his family.\?

And who's going to save the WiiU? No, clearly Aonuma-san needs to finish Zelda U before he takes a well deserv- oh by the way the 4DS is coming up. Keiji-san, would you mind just doing one more Zelda [ad infinitum]

Can't he take his vacation days? So what if the game is delayed by a few weeks. A few weeks a year is less than 10% delay. What's the big deal?

Or is it possible he's just joking about his family being annoyed with him, saying he and the team are working hard to deliver the game as soon as possible to the fans in a roundabout way?

Jetman

I started playing Skyrim because the name was so close to "Skyward Sword" and I wanted to see what that was about.

Aonuma inspired by Skylanders because name similar to Skyward Sword??

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
This has got to be the biggest derp derp moment I have seen from Nintendo. -_-

They truly are lost and out of touch with the industry. Nintendo should make it a point for their lead producers/designers to play the highest critically acclaimed games in the industry and keep up current events, but nope, we get derp responses like this more often than not.

Unbelievable.

I wouldnt want them taking any design or gameplay decisions from Skyrim.

Toparaman

Banned
This has got to be the biggest derp derp moment I have seen from Nintendo. -_-

They truly are lost and out of touch with the industry. Nintendo should make it a point for their lead producers/designers to play the highest critically acclaimed games in the industry and keep up current events, but nope, we get derp responses like this more often than not.

Unbelievable.

A lot of the highest critically acclaimed games are not particularly good. Coincidentally, most of them also had very high marketing budgets.

Game criticism needs to grow up before we can take critical acclaim seriously. For now, too many game critics are on the hype train.

lo zaffo

Well, since Zelda Wii U developments's costs shall be kept as low as possible, and I mean extraordinarly low - facts that we all know Nintendo was forced to discount its first party outputs down to 49 euros circa while trying to maximize cash flow and ROI -, I can argue what a decisions making hell had become producing this Zelda Wii U.
That written, I have no doubts Aonuma does not care at all what is out this days, Zelda is a kingdom and he'll never look outside its tower.

I think neither Koizumi nor Sakurai are in a different/better environment.

Happily for Nintendo employees less and less Wii U projects in sight and LOL. (a bit of trolling here tbh)

Albo

No one fulfilled your request. :(

iodclhBm6VXTc.gif

Haha, I meant their posts needed more bloom requests for Zelda U but nice work on bloomin up this gif anyway :) this should be the standard "not like this, smh" responses in WW HD threads.

Good to hear the new Zelda will not be taking it's cues from a title with game breaking glitches and will instead be taking it's cues from Zelda Skyward Sword...

Top Bottom