• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: New Zelda is not inspired by Skyrim; played because name similar to Skyward

Does anyone employ an official company policy like that?

Probably not, but Nintendo lead producers/developers seem to show an unordinarily high level of disinterest in playing games from other companies.

I think a policy like that should be instilled at Nintendo.

Well, how long ago did he say that?

With his quote from the recent interview on wanting to take a vacation and spending more time with his family, hopefully his stubborness has receded on that.

Koizumi. He has a history with the franchise and has expressed interest in it before.
There it goes. Yeah I have no idea maybe he only wants to make zelda but with the way Nintendo is not on a high right now sales wise they have him working harder than he has before. He doesnt like that.

Codeblue

But Koizumi is has almost become another GAF pariah for making that lazy, handheld rehash of a game in Mario 3d World. He made awesome games before? Who cares. We're a "what have you done for me lately" culture. He can go join Sakamoto and Eiji for tarnishing such a Nintendo classic.

Seriously though, who says Koizumi would even be well suited to make a Zelda game? Since he made his solo debut year ago on Jungle Beat, he seems like hes well suited in making linear style action games. And the common complaints people have about Zelda are things he doesn't deal with in the games he makes.

3D World is directed by Hayashida.

Edit: Got his name wrong the first time.

He played it because the fucking name is similar? One of the most significant RPGs ever made and the only reason it made it on his radar is that the name is similar to his game.

wrowa

Yes, I read the story. Aonuma only played skyrim because of the name being similar to Skyward Sword. This is the ignorance I'm talking about.

I was hoping that he played the game because Nintendo had a policy for their developers to play critically acclaimed games so the would learn what is the leading edge in game design. Obviously that is not the case.

Sorry, but you are acting as if Aounuma is not playing any games, when in fact he's stating something completely different: "As a producer, whenever I can find more time to play games, I'm taking that free time to go out and play other games just to play them and see what's out there." That he can't play every game is obvious and which games have priority for him is something out of our realm of knowledge. Stating that he's ignorant to the current trends of the industry, because he's not of the opinion that Skyrim is an important inspiration for the Zelda franchise is beyond silly.

Also, he's the producer, not the director or a designer. His role is primarily to manage a project and to make it work. He's not (primarily at least) the person who comes up with the ideas for the games.

Just so you know, nobody in the industry has a policy requirement of this nature. As in "you must play x games in a non-related genre to your own per year to retain employment". But then really, why am I bothering.

I wouldn't. He has no interest in Anouma or Zelda, he just comes into every single Nintendo thread where they might have put a foot wrong or not done something a certain way and finds some covert way of illustrating it as a sign of Nintendo's failure and eventual death.

Probably not, but Nintendo lead producers/developers seem to show an unordinarily high level of disinterest in playing games from other companies.

I think a policy like that should be instilled at Nintendo.

Why? So instead of "shitty motion combat" we can get revolutionary "RT for attack, hold RT for strong attack, LT to block" combat? Apart from maybe the scale of the world, there's nothing remotely imitable in Skyrim that Zelda might utilise.

-Horizon-

All of this:
Sound rough for him, he and Sakurai definitely need some time off after they're done.

I'm all for Zelda doing its own thing. Sure he can look at other games, see how they do it, but in the end, I just want Zelda to be Zelda, not like some other game. If I wanted Zelda to be like another game, I would buy that other game.

wrowa

If he would let them. I think I remember some interview or something koizumi said maybe he should do zelda again or something and aonuma was all.."Umm hell naw you dats my shit brah."

Pretty sure both of them were joking. Koizumi is in charge of EAD Tokyo and the producer of the 3D Mario franchises; there's (sadly) no way that he would be able to develop something else at this point. Similar to Aounuma's, his position is too important as that he could leave it.

-KRS-

But Koizumi is has almost become another GAF pariah for making that lazy, handheld rehash of a game in Mario 3d World. He made awesome games before? Who cares. We're a "what have you done for me lately" culture. He can go join Sakamoto and Eiji for tarnishing such a Nintendo classic.

Seriously though, who says Koizumi would even be well suited to make a Zelda game? Since he made his solo debut year ago on Jungle Beat, he seems like hes well suited in making linear style action games. And the common complaints people have about Zelda are things he doesn't deal with in the games he makes.

Wasn't he involved in creating OoT? Like dungeon design or something. Maybe I'm misremembering.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sound rough for him, that dedication.

I'm all for Zelda doing its own thing. Sure he can look at other games, see how they do it, but in the end, I just want Zelda to be Zelda, not like some other game. If I wanted Zelda to be like another game, I would buy that other game.

Exactly. Once you lean towards being something else you aren't you anymore.

Anth0ny

ygwYB.png

he's more than qualified.

Yes, I read the story. Aonuma only played skyrim because of the name being similar to Skyward Sword. This is the ignorance I'm talking about.

I was hoping that he played the game because Nintendo had a policy for their developers to play critically acclaimed games so the would learn what is the leading edge in game design. Obviously that is not the case.

Single dumbest thing I've ever seen you post... and that's saying a lot.

Pretty sure both of them were joking. Koizumi is in charge of EAD Tokyo and the producer of the 3D Mario franchises; there's (sadly) no way that he would be able to develop something else at this point. Similar to Aounuma's, his position is too important as that he could leave it.
Yeah it was joke..but there was a little truth in there i bet

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not critizing Aonuma for not following Skyrim.

I am criticizing him for only playing Skyrim because it sounds like Skyward sword. I am criticizing Nintendo for not having a policy that requires their game developers to play critically acclaimed games. Because to me, this means Nintendo is far behind in game design and the new Zelda will be just another template of aLttP.

Not one games company works like this. You're ridiculously delusional.

What you're proposing is basically an environment where everybody plays the most popular games so the same ideas can be copied ad nauseum. Basically every game will end up as bland as Darksiders. I'd rather people do what they bloody well want, regardless of influence from outside sources.

Faaip

Neo Member
Hell, give me something to do after I finish the final boss.

What they should do is make a "master quest" (or something similar) unlockable content in every Zelda game after you beat it. It would give the games imo excellent replay value. It honestly shouldn't be hard to at the very least ramp up the difficulty and scramble the dungeons

Sorry, but you are acting as if Aounuma is not playing any games, when in fact he's stating something completely different: "As a producer, whenever I can find more time to play games, I'm taking that free time to go out and play other games just to play them and see what's out there." That he can't play every game is obvious and which games have priority for him is something out of our realm of knowledge. Stating that he's ignorant to the current trends of the industry, because he's not of the opinion that Skyrim is an important inspiration for the Zelda franchise is beyond silly.

Also, he's the producer, not the director or a designer. His role is primarily to manage a project and to make it work. He's not (primarily at least) the person who comes up with the ideas for the games.

Given that's the case, Nintendo should prioritize people's time to play games during work hours. I think this is very important for a designer/producer should have ample time to play the latest games.

If Aonuma isn't designing the game, then why is it news that he might be taking influence from This article and the reference articles are completely pointless and any discussion about Aonuma playing games is pointless as far as Zelda design is concerned.

D-e-f-

Banned

I'm glad they don't. The only thing I'd want them to learn from other games are UI-related.

Given that's the case, Nintendo should prioritize people's time to play games during work hours. I think this is very important for a designer/producer should have ample time to play the latest games.

If Aonuma isn't designing the game, then why is it news that he might be taking influence from This article and the reference articles are completely pointless and any discussion about Aonuma playing games is pointless as far as Zelda design is concerned.

It's very clear that their workload is too heavy to play almost entirely irrelevant games during their workday. I agree with the concept that devs should play other games, but I don't think they should focus so much time on somebody elses creation. And as I've said, especially not Skyrim. There's little to learn there.

And why do I feel like you'd be the first person criticizing Nintendo for lifting game mechanics and ideas wholesale if they ever did such a thing?

Kyzon

What they should do is make a "master quest" (or something similar) unlockable content in every Zelda game after you beat it. It would give the games imo excellent replay value. It honestly shouldn't be hard to at the very least ramp up the difficulty and scramble the dungeons

You'll get Hero Mode and Like it! - Nintendo

I would like them to do that though. I'm not sure how, but they should do something more about ramping up the difficulty. They only up the damage output that enemies do. No new patterns or anything.

jmls1121

Banned
This has got to be the biggest derp derp moment I have seen from Nintendo. -_-

They truly are lost and out of touch with the industry. Nintendo should make it a point for their lead producers/designers to play the highest critically acclaimed games in the industry and keep up current events, but nope, we get derp responses like this more often than not.

Unbelievable.

Not everything is some grand indictment of Nintendo.

-Horizon-

I'm glad they don't. The only thing I'd want them to learn from other games are UI-related.
Work on tutorials (since I guess people complained about that in SS) and how the aide character interacts with you.

Although I was "ok" with Fi compared to every one else's opinion, she was no Midna.

D-e-f-

Banned

lol

No, it really is easy to hit the "scramble dungeon" button that designs new puzzles in the same geometry, balances them and adjusts them to the overall flow to the game. Should be done in a day or so by an intern.

Seriously, do we still live in the real world or did I miss the exit ramp to fantasy land?.

D-e-f-

Banned
Work on tutorials (since I guess people complained about that in SS) and how the aide character interacts with you.

Although I was "ok" with Fi compared to every one else's opinion, she was no Midna.

Vaguely ties into my UI option. I simply would want the ability to turn it off or ignore it. I'm currently writing an analysis on the openings of both TP and SS and, to give a brief summary, I think they are both done very well and get an unfair rap.

At E3, Miyamoto also said that he didn't see any games he would have liked to have created.

Either his standards are too high or he's just not in sync with the industry.

Or he didn't see EVERY game at E3 because he doesn't have time to sit in every demo and check out every indie and those he did see didn't look interesting to him.

-Horizon-

They both had Sky in their name so he had to check it out!
He even went to watch the 007 Skyfall movie.

Zelda Wii U to now be a stealth action game.

Vaguely ties into my UI option. I simply would want the ability to turn it off or ignore it. I'm currently writing an analysis on the openings of both TP and SS and, to give a brief summary, I think they are both done very well and get an unfair rap.

Or he didn't see EVERY game at E3 because he doesn't have time to sit in every demo and check out every indie and those he did see didn't look interesting to him.
I was perfectly fine with the tutorial in SS. TP on the other hand...

Can't wait to read what you wrote if you make a thread :)

StevieP

Banned
At E3, Miyamoto also said that he didn't see any games he would have liked to have created.

Either his standards are too high or he's just not in sync with the industry.

There's positive and negative in that. Especially since (outside the awesome indie presence and the ideas contained there) most publishers were presenting the same thing they usually do. The "AAA" industry is... well, just watch the Conan segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO5imsViKp0

He also didn't see everything at E3, because pretty much nobody does.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He played it because the fucking name is similar? One of the most significant RPGs ever made and the only reason it made it on his radar is that the name is similar to his game.

How is Skyrim significant? It does nothing new. It does nothing that other open world games haven't done and done better. The only thing that sets it apart from other open world RPGs is it's size.

wrowa

Yeah it was joke..but there was a little truth in there i bet

I'm sure that both would love to get a break from their current usual projects. Aounuma in particular has been surprisingly vocal in the past months: He complained about being the only producer of the Zelda franchise, he's saying he's lacking time to spend with his family and he also said that he wants to work on a non-Zelda game, because he feels that he's running out of time. I'm sure that Koizumi doesn't want to work for the rest of his time on Mario games either, if he had the chance.

But you've got to keep in mind that it's a business we are talking about. I'm sure that a desire to work on something different is something pretty much everyone who's been working in a certain field of work feels. But at the same time, it's the reality that most people aren't able to just change their responsibilities.

Console Zelda games have been a heavily influenced by aLttP since the release of OoT so I wouldn't consider any Zelda game to be doing their own thing.

So they're LttP knockoffs then? By your metric, you should be happy with the series. And you'd be hard pressed to call Skyward Sword a LttP knockoff, or Wind Waker for that matter, but I'm sure you have your poorly-argued reasons.

Also, "knockoff" is a synonym for "sequel", so it would seem. Who knew.

royalan

Zelda has nothing to learn from Bethesda games.

I disagree.

Bethesda may have its own problems, but it didn't get to being considered one of the top devs in the industry by completely sucking at EVERYTHING. Nintendo could and should take a few pointers on world building and deeper play mechanics. My biggest problem with the last few Zelda games is how ultimately shallow they end up being.

So they're LttP knockoffs then? By your metric, you should be happy with the series. And you'd be hard pressed to call Skyward Sword a LttP knockoff, or Wind Waker for that matter, but I'm sure you have your poorly-argued reasons.

Also, "knockoff" is a synonym for "sequel", so it would seem. Who knew.

In what way is aLttP the leading edge in game design?

That was my complaint, that he isn't keeping up with the latest in the industry. But it turns out that he seems to play games when he does get a chance, but how often that is and his criteria for the games he plays is unknown. Well, we do know one criteria, if the title of the game sounds similar to his own games he will play it. -_-

D-e-f-

Banned
I was perfectly fine with the tutorial in SS. TP on the other hand...

Can't wait to read what you wrote if you make a thread :)

Don't think I'll make a thread. It's LONG LONG LONG as I'm going through almost every step in the opening parts of the game and I doubt many would care to read about it. I might post it as a blog somewhere.

That said, I'd suggest you try and replay TP until you're in the first proper dungeon and look at what the game has you do. I think the main issue comes from players wanting to get to the first real dungeon when they have the game in their hands for the first time as soon as possible and TP has so many different mechanics and plot and characters to set up that takes you a lot longer to get to that point. At the same time, once you're in the first dungeon you already have a couple of key items with you and learned all the basics you'll need over the course of the entire game.

If you want I could PM you a link once I'm done writing this thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I disagree.

Bethesda may have its own problems, but it didn't get to being considered one of the top devs in the industry by completely sucking at EVERYTHING. Nintendo could and should take a few pointers on world building and deeper play mechanics. My biggest problems with the last few Zelda games is how ultimately shallow they end up being.

What deeper play mechanics? The skill trees? Skyrim is pretty shallow in the gameplay department. It's like a big puddle, you can do a lot of stuff but it's all pretty easy.

StevieP

Banned
I disagree.

Bethesda may have its own problems, but it didn't get to being considered one of the top devs in the industry by completely sucking at EVERYTHING. Nintendo could and should take a few pointers on world building and deeper play mechanics. My biggest problems with the last few Zelda games is how ultimately shallow they end up being.

As someone who's played Bethesda's games rather extensively, I'm not sure you want to go down the path of calling them "deep mechanics" in many respects. There was a large thread not too long ago discussing just that (and the lack thereof), if you feel like digging it up.

I disagree.

Really? I understand the presentation of the open world, and why that's so popular in these games, but as far as how the game actually plays, I just can't agree. Compared to the gameplay in Zelda, particularly that of Skyward Sword, I found Skyrims to be very mechanical and average. Not bad, but not doing anything out of the ordinary that Nintendo should "learn" from, especially considering the difference in perspective between the two games.

-Horizon-

Don't think I'll make a thread. It's LONG LONG LONG as I'm going through almost every step in the opening parts of the game and I doubt many would care to read about it. I might post it as a blog somewhere.

That said, I'd suggest you try and replay TP until you're in the first proper dungeon and look at what the game has you do. I think the main issue comes from players wanting to get to the first real dungeon when they have the game in their hands for the first time as soon as possible and TP has so many different mechanics and plot and characters to set up that takes you a lot longer to get to that point. At the same time, once you're in the first dungeon you already have a couple of key items with you and learned all the basics you'll need over the course of the entire game.

If you want I could PM you a link once I'm done writing this thing.
Sure, PM me once you're done.

Top Bottom