• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aonuma: That was Link in the Wii U Zelda trailer, denies 'female' rumors

What in Metroid or in the Mario games is affected by the fact that Samus is a woman and Mario is a man?

The reincernation in-world explenation is basically just the excuse why we're playing the same character in completly different settings.

you aren't even reading my posts, im done here.

Wazzy

Banned
What in Metroid or in the Mario games is affected by the fact that Samus is a woman and Mario is a man?

The reincernation in-world explenation is basically just the excuse why we're playing the same character in completly different settings.

How can you completely miss the point? It's not a matter of gender being the reason they're unchangeable. It's the fact they're established characters who are the same throughout their appearence. They have a backstory and personality.

Link on the other hand is different throughout each title. His appearence changes in every game and it's clearly not the same character. Not only that but the story allows a female Link to happen due to the reincarnation plot.

Marlowe89

you aren't even reading my posts, im done here.

You've flat-out said that Link's concept and design allows him to change genders, but not everyone agrees with that. As I've argued above, I (and others) think Link's design between iterations is too homogeneous for that kind of alteration.

Apparently because it's part of the topic of this thread, personally I am against Nintendo drastically changing the appearance of Link between games, also Links clothes in the trailer don't matter because he always starts off wearing something different anyway. Also I don't know how people can say changing Links gender would be the smallest change about him, changing his gender would be one of the biggest differences you can make in the game. In my opinion, which I am not asserting as fact, Link is a courageous young elf boy with a girlish face. He's fairly lazy and somewhat air headed, he avoids responsibility, but when it matters he does what has to be done. In every 3D Zelda game, none of that about Link has changed, which makes him a character, in my opinion, not an avatar. Of course if Nintendo decides that he is an avatar tomorrow and allows you to change him, then that's that, but it's not the character of Link as I know him. Also if Nintendo wanted to change Link to female in the next game, that's fine but I will not consider her "Link," but instead a different character.

How can you completely miss the point? It's not a matter of gender being the reason they're unchangeable. It's the fact they're established characters who are the same throughout their appearence. They have a backstory and personality.

Link on the other hand is different throughout each title. His appearence changes in every game and it's clearly not the same character. Not only that but the story allows a female Link to happen due to the reincarnation plot.

Too bad that Aonuma doesn't share the same view about Link.

Aonuma: "You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

The in-world explenation about reincernation and stuff doesn't matter if Link is the iconic figure of the franchise. It's everytime a different world but the same hero.

]You've flat-out said that Link's concept and design allows him to change genders[/B], but not everyone agrees with that. As I've argued above, I (and others) think Link's design between iterations is too homogeneous for that kind of alteration.
Then you are disagreeing with the in game established lore, go take that up with Nintendo.

He's an intentionally androgynous design and has a gender neutral name, if you can't see that then there's nothing more to discuss.

Wazzy

Banned
Too bad that Aonuma doesn't share the same view about Link.

Aonuma: "You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

The in-world explenation about reincernation and stuff doesn't matter if Link is the iconic figure of the franchise. It's everytime a different world but the same hero.

And yet...he considers Link a self-insert for the player. What does that say about his views of Link?

And let's get real, he said you have to show Link but never specified gender. While in this case I think he's still referring to male Link, his comment still leaves open the possibility of a female Link. Whether or not that's for future titles we'll see.

Maybe change it to "discuss why we shouldn't change the sex of every video game character" since that's what a large contingent of posters have been posting about so far.

I mention in the post above yours that there are a lot of people — yourself included — that perceive any posts in support of (or not against) a female Link are ordering Nintentdo to do it, or are saying that it should happen. And those people aren't reading carefully enough.

And tradition/alienating people who can't handle such an innocuous change/addition do not dictate what Nintendo must do.

And they're coming from a personal opinion, voicing a preference specific to them, not a universal truth or law.

It's nice to want things. I want Nintendo to keep it the same and i hope people dont take that as anything negative. And some have.Never said you're demanding it I was just wanted to poke fun at how the discussion has no transcended into this debate.

As to what Nintendo must do is easily debatable. Keep these fans happy or risk alienating more people than they reel in by changing an established character? I'm all for a new IP with aa female lead. I don't want them to change what is easily my favorite Nintendo series.

Marlowe89

Then you are disagreeing with the in game established lore, go take that up with Nintendo.

He's an intentionally androgynous design and has a gender neutral name, if you can't see that then there's nothing more to discuss.

On the contrary, nothing in my post disagrees with the in-game established lore. Him being a "reincarnation" doesn't automatically change his appearance conceptually. You seem to have a lot of difficulty understanding this.

Also, I don't think his design is so androgynous that he isn't distinctly male-looking, even in Zelda U.

skull kid

his design is androgynous in this latest trailer but hasn't been in past games...for example
2465631-the_legend_of_zelda_twilight_princess_link_costume_ver_01-3-03.jpg
Also, I don't think his design is so androgynous that he isn't distinctly male-looking, even in Zelda U.
fact is (afaik) never before have so many people speculated that Link could be a girl or confused him with Zelda

Wazzy

Banned
On the contrary, nothing in my post disagrees with the in-game established lore. Him being a "reincarnation" doesn't automatically change his appearance conceptually. You seem to have a lot of difficulty understanding this.

I'll give you that even though his design has become more androgynous he's still distinctly male. Which is funny when compared to this new design that IS completely androgynous.

And while Link has shared a similar look throughout each game, there's still enough big changes to seperate the characters. All of the older title Links are a lot different looking compared to the 3D titles. Even SS Link is different.

So if this character was female, why would it matter? she still bears a resemblence to Link. She's just a woman.

And yet...he considers Link a self-insert for the player. What does that say about his views of Link?

And let's get real, he said you have to show Link but never specified gender. While in this case I think he's still referring to male Link, his comment still leaves open the possibility of a female Link. Whether or not that's for future titles we'll see.
That's not getting entiely real though. That's grasping at straws. Getting real would be "realistically link has always been a male so it makes sense that when he says link he means a male."

Edit: though he did say he was paying attention to the reaction and would take it into consideration for the future. So that's something.

It's obvious that Link is not just an avatar kind of character for him and the Zelda franchise.

Even the design of Zelda changed several times but you could put all Links in a large picture together and people could recall them as Link.

Marlowe89

And while Link has shared a similar look throughout each game, there's still enough big changes to seperate the characters. All of the older title Links are a lot different looking compared to the 3D titles. Even SS Link is different.

I don't think so, and I've already argued why I think they're all extremely homogeneous. And that's the entire issue here - it's subjective.

So if this character was female, why would it matter? she still bears a resemblence to Link. She's just a woman.
Well, considering that I strongly believe every Link revealed so far has a distinctly male appearance, I'm also pretty sure he would have a distinctly female appearance if they were to change his gender. At that point, I think She-Link's design would stray too far from the established standard. That is all.

*sigh* there is no in game rule that says he can't change, he doesn't because of real world tradition. Trying to say he absolutely can't change just isn't true, saying you don't want him to change is fine.

Like I said if you don't think that even the new Link looks very androgynous then there's nothing more for us to discuss on that matter.(besides me thinking you're blind)

Wazzy

Banned
That's not getting entiely real though. That's grasping at straws. Getting real would be "realistically link has always been a male so it makes sense that when he says link he means a male."

Edit: though he did say he was paying attention to the reaction and would take it into consideration for the future. So that's something.
Where did I say otherwise? I understand the connection to Links name is that it's associated with the male one. My point though is that since he never specified gender especially after all of his comments regarding the character being female. He's still being intentionally vague when all he had to say was "No that isn't a female character, sorry"
It's obvious that Link is not just an avatar kind of character for him and the Zelda franchise.

Even the design of Zelda changed several times but you could put all Links in a large picture together and people could recall them as Link.

You can't say it's obvious when the creator has said otherwise.

One reason changing Zelda doesn't work as well as Link is that she's an established character in each game who has a personality and her name is the title of the series. She's not a self insert like Link.

Marlowe89

*sigh* there is no in game rule that says he can't change, he doesn't because of real world tradition. Trying to say he absolutely can't change just isn't true, saying you don't want him to change is fine.
*sigh* there is no in-game rule that says Luigi can't change into Luigiette, he doesn't because of real world tradition. Trying to say he absolutely can't change just isn't true, saying you don't want him to change is fine.

See what I did there? There is no in-game rule for ANYTHING, EVER. Literally any alteration could be finalized at Nintendo's whim if they so desired, but that's not what the discussion is about.

Like I said if you don't think that even the new Link looks very androgynous then there's nothing more for us to discuss on that matter.(besides me thinking you're blind)
I never said he wasn't androgynous, I'm saying he isn't androgynous enough for a gender change in my opinion. Don't agree? Oh fucking well.

Hakai

The "It will make no difference, but I want it to change" and "I don't mind the change, but would make a difference, that I don't want." thread

Anyways, the only legacy character with an established gender in LoZ is Zelda because Hylia's presence only manifests in women.

EDIT:
Oh right. And Ganondorf because he's the same dude.

*sigh* there is no in-game rule that says Luigi can't change into Luigiette, he doesn't because of real world tradition. Trying to say he absolutely can't change just isn't true, saying you don't want him to change is fine.

See what I did there? There is no in-game rule for ANYTHING, EVER. Literally any alteration could be finalized at Nintendo's whim if they so desired, but that's not what the discussion is about.

I never said he wasn't androgynous, I'm saying he isn't androgynous enough for a gender change. Don't agree? Oh fucking well.

I wasn't aware that Luigi reincarnates himself into a different person, in different ages and even different timelines, I learned something new.

Yep don't agree on the last point.

I wasn't aware that Luigi reincarnates himself into a different person, in different ages and even different timelines, I learned something new.

But in a world where he can easily become a ghost or a statue or a bee, wouldn't there be plenty of wiggle room in the Mario "lore" for them to become female? Just throw in a gender-swapping mushroom.

Marlowe89

We're going around in circles and you're simply not getting it. For the thousandth time, reincarnation is IRRELEVANT because in the eyes of some of us, Link conceptually has a similar enough design regardless of whatever iteration you refer to. He's conceptually the same character.

If I have to repeat myself again, I might as well just ignore you.

PKrockin

Pokemon is a bad example because every game starts with a completly new trainer without that the new trainer does have any connection to the older trainers. You could even fight against Red in Pokemon Gold/Silver.
TP Link fights OoT Link in Twilight Princess. OoT Link even speaks and is a stalfos in that game. The series features many Links since many of the games are separated by 100+ years. There's no reason in the history/lore that a girl can't recieve the spirit of the hero and be an incarnation of Link other than the outside opinion that the Links in the games so far have been male so they should always be male.

Edit: well this was pointless

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Mario getting turned into a girl actually happened in one of those Nintendo Choose Your Own Adventure books.

Deitus

But in a world where he can easily become a ghost or a statue or a bee, wouldn't there be plenty of wiggle room in the Mario "lore" for them to become female? Just throw in a gender-swapping mushroom.

A gender swapping mushroom could be a powerup in a Mario series game. It would take some creativity to come up with a situation where that would provide a gameplay benefit, and some sensitivity to not be totally offensive with it, but it could happen.

But that wouldn't be particularly comparable to the 20th incarnation of the green-clad, androgynous, Hylian Legendary Hero being a green-clad, androgynous, Hylian hero who happens to be female this time.

royalan

Sure, if you throw in the right power-up you can make anything happen in the Mario universe. But in his default state, Luigi is male. He is Mario's "brother", and he's the same character in every game in which he appears.

That is not the same as Link, who is actually a DIFFERENT CHARACTER in almost every game.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't think so, and I've already argued why I think they're all extremely homogeneous. And that's the entire issue here - it's subjective.

Well, considering that I strongly believe every Link revealed so far has a distinctly male appearance, I'm also pretty sure he would have a distinctly female appearance if they were to change his gender. At that point, I think She-Link's design would stray too far from the established standard. That is all.
I think you're being disingenuous about the designs. They may have similarities but they're not all the same looking. I think the view comes from his iconic green tunic design and not the actual character.

They've also said his design choice was intentional in response to him looking like a girl so whether or not you see it doesn't change the fact it's still an androgynous design.

What did he say? That Link isn't the central character of the entire franchise?
That Link is a self insert for the player. He "links" players to the world.

No one is saying it's not possible to make Luigi a girl but that it doesn't make sense in the context of his character. He's the same throughout so why would be turned into a girl? If they were to do it that would just rebooting the character completely.

Link however IS a reboot everytime. Which is why him being a women in one game would still work.

actually yeah sure there's nothing stopping them from putting in a mushroom like that, surprised it hasn't happened yet actually. You won't get something like Luigi permanently changing in a girl however, Link can change for an entire game and go to the next game and be the same as always again and it would all be fine.

and yeah lets ignore each other Mariowe, you're arguing from your feelings and opinions, I'm arguing that the in game lore lets Link be whatever the hell they want.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
his design is androgynous in this latest trailer but hasn't been in past games...for example

fact is (afaik) never before have so many people speculated that Link could be a girl or confused him with Zelda

How on earth is that TP design not androgynous? He looks like the typical Legolas-type elf.

The new design is slightly more slim than normal but that's the only difference.

TP Link fights OoT Link in Twilight Princess. OoT Link even speaks and is a stalfos in that game. The series features many Links since many of the games are separated by 100+ years. There's no reason in the history/lore that a girl can't recieve the spirit of the hero and be an incarnation of Link other than the outside opinion that the Links in the games so far have been male so they should always be male.

Edit: well this was pointless

Yes, you're proving my point that Link is the reincernation of the same guy. It's not like that Zelda invented the concept of the reborn hero who is forced to do the same shit over and over again.

That us what the discussion (albeit, one of multiple in this thread) is about though. There are people saying Link shouldn't be made female, yet those people's only justifications are their personal opinions.

That us what the discussion (albeit, one of multiple in this thread) is about though. There are people saying Link shouldn't be made female, yet those people's only justifications are their personal opinions.

Not that "Link should be a girl" isn't anything else than a personal opinion.

That Nintendo could do whatever they want with Link and the Zelda series shouldn't be a surprise here.

Marlowe89

I think you're being disingenuous about the designs. They may have similarities but they're not all the same looking. I think the view comes from his iconic green tunic design and not the actual character.

I never said they were identical, but I definitely think they're close enough. Ergo, gender swapping would be too dramatic of a departure for me. If Link was indeed a female, I'd think they'd want her to look the part and I think she would appear (and feel) too conceptually different.

I'll say this much though - if it were to happen, I'd get over it pretty quickly regardless. It's fucking Zelda, I care a little more about the gameplay than the storyline or characters.

They've also said his design choice was intentional in response to him looking like a girl so whether or not you see it doesn't change the fact it's still an androgynous design.

Have you read my posts? I've already acknowledged that it's an androgynous design; just not so androgynous that I wasn't able to discern his gender. It's relative.

What about those of us who wouldn't care for a female Link? I'm a female myself and with all due respect to gaffers who think otherwise, I honestly would relate less to a female iteration of Link and would prefer to play as male Link in these adventures.

From what I've been reading I see there is a vocal following of support for a female version of him, and that's totally fine, but I don't think us who enjoy Link's current gender should feel alienated or that we aren't forward thinking enough.

In the Digital Direct during the claymation sequence, I recall Link joking about how he is more recognizable (forgive me as my wording may not be 100% correct, but it was something along those lines) than Mario. He is an icon and has been rated a top video game character in many leading sites' online polls and lists. If he is such a blank avatar, I can't see how he could be noted as one of the greatest characters of all time.

This is just my opinion and I'm leaving this here peacefully. :)

What about those of us who wouldn't care for a female Link? I'm a female myself and with all due respect to gaffers who think otherwise, I honestly would relate less to a female iteration of Link and would prefer to play as male Link in these adventures.

From what I've been reading I see there is a vocal following of support for a female version of him, and that's totally fine, but I don't think us who enjoy Link's current gender should feel alienated or that we aren't forward thinking enough.

In the Digital Direct during the claymation sequence, I recall Link joking about how he is more recognizable (forgive me as my wording may not be 100% correct, but it was something along those lines) than Mario. He is an icon and has been rated a top video game character in many leading sites' online polls and lists. If he is such a blank avatar, I can't see how he could be noted as one of the greatest characters of all time.

Prepare for passive aggressive responses. Both sides have been displaying it.

Caelus

That is not the same as Link, who is actually a DIFFERENT CHARACTER in almost every game.

I regard him as pretty much the same character, the differences between incarnations are negligible at best. The different incarnations allow for the story of Link, Zelda and Ganon to be told in a variety of settings while remaining somewhat realistic (he can't be immortal and be in a hundred different adventures like Mario, after all, the Hero's Shade is an example of how Link actually matured) true to the lore.

I've also never seen him as a blank slate, in the newer games especially he's pretty much his own character, albeit we don't hear his words. Throughout his incarnations there's similarities between appearances, motivation, and his relationships and interactions with other characters. He truly is an iconic character to me, and while the reason to keep Link male is arguably one of personal opinion, so is the reason to make him a female.

Again, just have a different Zelda game with a different female playable character. I'd love to play as Zelda, or Impa, or Hylia or whatever. But Link is an established figure.

If the developers decide to create a female Link, however, I'm not going to be against it.

I've also never seen him as a blank slate, in the newer games especially he's pretty much his own character, albeit we don't hear his words. Throughout his incarnations there's similarities between appearances, motivation, and his relationships and interactions with other characters. He truly is an iconic character to me, and while the reason to keep Link male is arguably one of personal opinion, so is the reason to make him a female.

I like how you worded this.

royalan

I regard him as pretty much the same character, the differences between incarnations are negligible at best. The different incarnations allow for the story of Link, Zelda and Ganon to be told in a variety of settings while remaining somewhat realistic (he can't be immortal and be in a hundred different adventures like Mario, after all, the Hero's Shade is an example of how Link actually matured) true to the lore.

Again, just have a different Zelda game with a different female playable character. I'd love to play as Zelda, or Impa, or Hylia or whatever. But Link is an established figure.

If the developers decide to create a female Link, however, I'm not going to be against it.

I don't disagree with you. I said earlier that I don't buy that Nintendo really gives a shit about the timeline or continuity. And I think the crap with Link being "reborn" is exactly as you said: a barebones excuse to tell the same basic story among the same basic characters but in different settings.

But there comes a point where you have to take Nintendo's word for it, and they want us to buy into this shit. So going by the lore that they haphazardly established, Link COULD be a girl.

Also, and other people have clarified this, most of us in this debate ARENT arguing that Link "should be" made female. I don't think very many of us care that much. Most of is are just arguing that Link COULD be female and it wouldn't break canon, against the people arguing that Link "can't ever be" female because...well, feelings and status quo.

Wazzy

Banned
I never said they were identical, but I definitely think they're close enough. Ergo, gender swapping would be too dramatic of a departure for me. If Link was indeed a female, I'd think they'd want her to look the part and I think she would appear (and feel) too conceptually different.

I'll say this much though - if it were to happen, I'd get over it pretty quickly regardless. It's fucking Zelda, I care a little more about the gameplay than the storyline or characters.

Have you read my posts? I've already acknowledged that it's an androgynous design; just not so androgynous that I wasn't able to discern his gender. It's relative.
I'll come back and respond to these when I get the time.

I think you're fully allowed to relate more to male Link(though I'll be honest that I can't see any reason for that when you're a girl and he has no personality) but that just because you feel that way doesn't mean you should be catered to when you've already been for every title.

It's one game. You've already seen the design so if it were to be a woman, would that really change anything? It's still going to be a mute character.
he's not even androgynous in the footage... honestly, people are just projecting their desires onto that trailer.

You might not see the androgyny but you don't get to dismiss everyone else due to it. The creator has admitted that the design was intentional in response to looking like a woman and it wouldn't be getting this much attention if it weren't as androgynous as it is.

Also I've never even clamoured for a female Link. I just saw the design and thought it would be a great idea. Don't generalize everyone.

You might not see the androgyny but you don't get to dismiss everyone else due to it. The creator has admitted that the design was intentional in response to looking like a woman and it wouldn't be getting this much attention if it weren't as androgynous as it is.

Also I've never even clamoured for a female Link. I just saw the design and thought it would be a great idea. Don't generalize everyone.

Damn

At least a poll on NeoGaf would be interesting.

Marlowe89

I'll come back and respond to these when I get the time.

Actually, don't even bother. My point all along is ultimately that it's a subjective debate no matter which approach you take. Some people just need to learn to accept that not everyone thinks a female Link would fit in with his concept and design (if you believe otherwise, that's fine too) and that's all there is to it.

Damn

At least a poll on NeoGaf would be interesting.
Poll on neogaf might be nice but I'd rather it's generalized instead of focusing on zelda over and over again as its beating a dead horse. But I see it as a mass effect situation. 4 out of 5 players of me3 played as male Shepard. I can't relate one to the other obviously I was just throwing it out there. Especially with femshep being as popular online as she is.

Top Bottom