• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Atlus requested removal of all Persona 5 info from RPCS3 site

Lynx_7

Guess Atlus is still holding a grudge over that one time somebody hacked their website with a fake PS4/PC P5 release date lol

Atlus has got to be one of the most backwards ass game company that side of the ocean.

MUnited83

For you.
Since you keep ranting about piracy, which i already edited half a minute into my post, and legality, the only basis of which is an old ass ruling. We have nothing further to discuss.

The thing is rcps3 team does nothing to guarantee that people arent playing their games through illegal means, they cannot. Rcps3 also lets indirectly lets people run modified software, the software which i guarantee you they have no right to unless specifically permitted by software owners(the publisher). So even IF the legality may be flimsy, i have every moral right to keep everything that i own away from said platform and its marketing.

I would be very happy if they didn't object to any of this but but theyre certainly not petty for not wanting people to tinker with their game or using it to market emulators.
The PS3 also lets people run modified software, better take that down too.
"the software which i guarantee you they have no right to unless specifically permitted by software owners(the publisher)."
Completely false again, you have legal right to mod your games.
No, you have no moral or legal right to prevent people from using your commercially available product.

gngf123

I did not say that. On their wiki, I think, they explained how to dump the rom.

Anyway, now they have their own internal rom.

You said they used it for years - this is not true. They merely provide a program that has support for it if somebody provides their own personal copy.

Also, in the US, it is completely legal for people to dump their own ROMs. This is also true for things like the machines BIOS or the DSP (for Wii sound files). It is also completely legal for Dolphin to explain to people how they can do it on their own personal console.

Hell if that were illegal GAF needs to change their rules on emulation discussion and fast

I've used Dolphin for nearly a decade now, for that period I've always known them to be aware of these things.

So say if isis tomorrow uses cod footage to slap ads all over the internet to recruit people, will Activision be petty if they act against it?
Not equating emulation to terrorism but the legal grounds are there no?
Like i said, you cant use a decades old ruling to instantly judge something this grey.
And regarding your previous edit, i hope you realize most emulators use the console bios which is literally owned by the console owner and is literally obtained through unauthorized means. You can't dump a bios from a vanilla untouched console natively.

Read above. There is a difference between Unorthorized (needing to do something a platform holder doesn't like) and illegal.

No respected emulator ships with a ripped BIOS either, the only possible exception could be something like CEMU which is closed source and there are people wondering if there is Nintendo code in there somewhere.

Also, holy fuck at that ISIS analogy. What the hell.

Christhor

0e3.png

The PS3 also lets people run modified software, better take that down too.
"the software which i guarantee you they have no right to unless specifically permitted by software owners(the publisher)."
Completely false again, you have legal right to mod your games.
No, you have no moral or legal right to prevent people from using your commercially available product.
Wrong, mostly companies simply dont care.
When you buy a software you obtain rights to use it, re engineering any part of it and making it publicly available is absolutely liable to prosecution.
And yes, if they felt that modded ps3's were eating into sales and that theyre better off on another platform they would be justified in doing so.
Pretty sure piracy factors into the discussion when devs decide a platform. They weight their options and take their decisions.

wazoo

Wrong. You can but for that you need to dump the Wii sound files. Otherwise it's using HLE for the DSP.

Dolphin "could use if available". Are you happy now ?

I did not say - I did not meant at least - the rom sound files was mandatory or provided by Dolphin.

Joyful

doesn't sound legal to me
if they complied with a mere request i question their fortitude
if they were threatened legally , crowdfund a legal defense fund. id chip in at least

They were also the first publisher I can think of to actually region lock a significant PS3 game. They are also one of the few publishers who threatened streamers not to stream beyond a certain point in the game. Soon they will be one of the only publishers who will a PS4 remaster of a 5 year old PS3/Vita title in Japan for almost 80 dollars without any content additions.

Atlus likes to be unique in a lot of things.

They're also the only publisher I know of that regularly charges more than the standard 3DS price for their games. For being the creators of some of my favorite games of all-time, they're really about as anti-fan as they come (the Japanese side; the US side seems to be run by cool people).

Dolphin "could use if available". Are you happy now ?

I did not say - I did not meant at least - the rom sound files was mandatory or provided by Dolphin.

Yes, because that makes a HUGE difference. What you said meant they would distribute Dolphin with illegal files while the reality is they dont and use their own solution by default.

KonradLaw

Well, this sure will do wonders with informing more people they can play Persona 5 on PC through emulation. :D Nice job Atlus.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think this is what Sega said.

What he's implying is that the fact Sega treats Atlus like a R*esque golden goose that must be allowed to operate largely on its own terms is just a choice rather than a consequence of a legal technicality. There's nothing preventing Sega from one day deciding to flex its parent company muscle and greenlight ports of Atlus' games, so the answer to the question of "Is that something Sega could do?" is "Yes.".

duckroll

What he's implying is that the fact Sega treats Atlus like a R*esque golden goose that must be allowed to operate largely on its own terms is just a choice rather than the result of a legal technicality. There's nothing preventing Sega from one day deciding to flex its parent company muscle and greenlight ports of Atlus' games, so the answer to the question of "Is that something Sega could do?" is "Yes.".

Sega is already developing and producing a Shin Megami Tensei smartphone game which they have made clear is a Sega initiative using an Atlus IP. :)

So this isn't even a hypothetical thing.

MUnited83

For you.
Wrong, mostly companies simply dont care.
When you buy a software you obtain rights to use it, re engineering any part of it and making it publicly available is absolutely liable to prosecution.
And yes, if they felt that modded ps3's were eating into sales and that theyre better off on another platform they would be justified in doing so.
Pretty sure piracy factors into the discussion when devs decide a platform. They weight their options and take their decisions.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Firstly because the emulator doesn't even use any Sony code, (and no, "most companies don't a care" is completely and utterly false. This has been proven in court more than once)and even if it that would have literally zero relevance to Persona or Atlus. Persona 5 isn't being released engineered. RPCS3 is not distributing any Persona 5 code in any way.
Modded PS3's are also much more widely available than PCs capable of playing Persona 5 at acceptable playability. Again, might as well go back in time and not release the PS3 version.

jrcbandit

This is a weird action to take, it really does nothing to stem PC or PS3 piracy. While 97+% of people using emulators are pirating the games, removing this info from RPCS3 website wont do anything other than draw even more attention to the emulator for pirates lol.

Lynx_7

They're also the only publisher I know of that regularly charges more than the standard 3DS price for their games. For being the creators of some of my favorite games of all-time, they're really about as anti-fan as they come (the Japanese side; the US side seems to be run by cool people).
I really don't get that. I thought SMT IV was pricier because it came with the soundtrack and some other stuff with the standard edition of the game. I also assumed it had something to do with the lightning fast localization they pulled with that one (like, seriously, what was that all about? They never managed to pull that off again, so I'm assuming Nintendo must've helped?)
But shortly after that, 50 became their go-to 3DS price for regular releases just because. No additional goodies, localizations are just as spaced out from JP as ever, nada. I guess they just figured "hey, if we could get away with it once, then why don't we just, you know, keep doing it?".

Their creative teams are great, but goddamn their business side...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sega is already developing and producing a Shin Megami Tensei smartphone game which they have made clear is a Sega initiative using an Atlus IP. :)

So this isn't even a hypothetical thing.

Baby steps! Or rather step, haha.

Bendo

doesn't sound legal to me
if they complied with a mere request i question their fortitude
if they were threatened legally , crowdfund a legal defense fund. id chip in at least

What good would it really do if RPCS3 used their time and money fighting a frivolous lawsuit? They're going to continue improving P5 compatibility, and the community will continue highlighting the improvements on forums, you just won't see it on the official blogs.It's not like there's a shortage og games they can highlight either: RDR and Demon's Souls are both pretty big deals.

c0de

Ha, good promotion for the emulator project, perhaps their patreon will get even more donators then!
The emulator is making great progress recently and I hope that more people try it out now.

Tagyhag

This is a weird action to take, it really does nothing to stem PC or PS3 piracy. While 97+% of people using emulators are pirating the games, removing this info from RPCS3 website wont do anything other than draw even more attention to the emulator for pirates lol.

Emulation = ISIS

97% of all emulators are pirates.

This thread is going like they usually do lol.

Please, please provide a source on that 97+% number

I don’t even know how it’s possible to measure that lmao

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
You're a slave. Want emancipation? Pay us $60 for a piece of closed-source entertainment software developed exclusively for proprietary hardware with uncertain prospects of backwards compatibility. Don't even think about sharing your experiences with others or using the product you purchased in ways that our gerontocratic management disapproves of, despite the rest of the industry, including the actual platform holders who own the tech that gets reverse engineered by emulator developers, not taking any steps to fight these ways. Don't forget to buy the eventual director's cut for the same price!

wazoo

Please, please provide a source on that 97+% number

I don't even know how it's possible to measure that lmao

I heard it is more than 100% but do not quote me on this, my source is not official.

Still, as much credible than people claiming emulation is for people owning the original games.

One real question : can you put a ps3 game disk in a PC bluray drive and read it, I mean access files ?

Some Nobody

Who are we to care whether its dumb or not? They can run themselves into the ground for all we have control over.
Let me remind you nome of us are speaking in their interests first when we bring up stupid or smart business moves.
The point is they made it and they own it.
They have 0 reasons to care for ps4, pc, ps3 or streamers and whatever it is they do. They have no obligation to ensure streamers keep their channels healthy.
Is it in their best interests? I would think so. But thats my opinion.
No matter how stupid their reasons are they cannot be petty because they have 100 percent ownership of their works and regardless i or you want from them, its their call.

If i own something i have every right to decide whether or not i let somebody else tinkers with it without being petty.
This isn't some cancer drug theyre keeping to themselves, there is no debatable morality here. Its a commercial product for enthusiasts and if they feel its okay for them to restrict it to a specific then thats that.

Setting aside the fact that you're already wrong from a legal perspective--as people have pointed out several times while you continue to shift the goalposts...

Do you understand that, I can absolutely call someone petty if they do something with reasoning that I believe is actually petty? It's late and I could be misunderstanding your argument, but you keep phrasing this in such a way that "Well, they own it so we really can't have any opinion on what they do with it."

Well....no. They may be completely within their rights legally and they can still be assholes, and people can certainly still call them that. It's not like if enough people call you petty the petty police show up and force you to change your mind on your decisions lol.

Since you keep ranting about piracy, which i already edited half a minute into my post, and legality, the only basis of which is an old ass ruling. We have nothing further to discuss.

The thing is rcps3 team does nothing to guarantee that people arent playing their games through illegal means, they cannot. Rcps3 also lets indirectly lets people run modified software, the software which i guarantee you they have no right to unless specifically permitted by software owners(the publisher). So even IF the legality may be flimsy, i have every moral right to keep everything that i own away from said platform and its marketing.

I would be very happy if they didn't object to any of this but but theyre certainly not petty for not wanting people to tinker with their game or using it to market emulators.

People often forget that emulation is used for WAY more than video games.

VMWare is a computer emulator created and owned by IBM, and they show screens of Windows and Mac OS running in it.

VirtualBox is an open source computer emulator maintained by Oracle, one of the biggest tech companies around. They too have screens of Windows running in their program.

DosBox is a DOS emulator that has plenty of screenshots and a compatibility list for games and programs. Many companies use DOSBox, especially when bundling old games for sale on PCs.

BlueStacks is an Android emulator that allows you to play Android games on your PC. The web site is filled with screens showcasing it.

Basically, all I'm saying is that:

1) There is no legal gray area. Emulation is definitely legal and here to stay. That old ruling allows all of this to exist and for all of us to benefit from it.

2) None of these products ensure that users aren't installing pirated copies of third party software, and it's not their problem.

3) Demonstrating compatibility with third party software in a non-advertisement, non-endorsement sense is legal and normal under the fair use laws. if Atlus pressures sometime to do otherwise, and remove all references of their product from the site, then I think they yes, they are being petty.

MaLDo

I have a hypothesis, based on information from Atlus, the actions that have been taking over time and the little that I know of Japanese culture.

First of all, I'm a only PC player and I would buy P5 on PC without hesitation.

They are not worried about piracy, nor do they have anything against the PC platform.

They are proud of their creature (P5), in which they put all their effort to get an experience for the player that they consider "correct". Let's say it's better or worse, it's what they want the player to experience. And that's why they feel comfortable only when they have FULL control of that experience.

They are afraid that you will see parts of the game in a youtube video. They are afraid you can see the game in a different way it was designed and you could think that the difference or glitch or whatever is Altus work. They are really terrified that anyone can see any problem in the game that is not Atlus' fault but that they attribute it to them.

And that's the reason they are afraid to put their game in an open platform like PC where they can't control every little detail of the experience. What if someone runs the game in a lower than minimum specs and can't enjoy the game they way is meant to be enjoyed? What if someone runs the game using RPCS3 and finds a bug and thinks is our fault? Oh shit! We must shutdown that thing of the devil!!!

In their mind, they are protecting their little child. I know, is not the logic of most of us... :(

Aters

Guess Atlus is still holding a grudge over that one time somebody hacked their website with a fake PS4/PC P5 release date lol

Atlus has got to be one of the most backwards ass game company that side of the ocean.

Pretty sure it's the most backward game company at any side of any ocean.

wazoo

In their mind, they are protecting their little child. I know, is not the logic of most of us... :(

Is there any difference between ps3 and ps4 version ?

Imagine someone playing the ps3 version and feeling this is an underpowered version, what a shame !

How does Atlus feel about 3DS piracy? I feel like I've just been seeing this strong overprotectiveness with Persona 5. Or better yet, piracy on the PS3? I haven't kept up, but I'm pretty sure you can easily pirate games on the system these days.

So say if isis tomorrow uses cod footage to slap ads all over the internet to recruit people, will Activision be petty if they act against it?
Not equating emulation to terrorism but the legal grounds are there no?
Like i said, you cant use a decades old ruling to instantly judge something this grey.
And regarding your previous edit, i hope you realize most emulators use the console bios which is literally owned by the console owner and is literally obtained through unauthorized means. You can't dump a bios from a vanilla untouched console natively.

About that ....

I know it's not isis but it still is propaganda.

Top Bottom