• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Media Event |OT| 'We Still Have a Lot to Cover'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
You truly have a gift to displaying your opinions in the most obnoxious way possible.

Here’s the thing. The N7 is pretty good. I’ve been using one full-time for 2 weeks. The screen is gorgeous. reading tweets and mobile Gaf and RSS feeds is fine.

And yet the overall experience still feels like a second class experience compared to the one year old ipad mini.

There are fewer decent apps that actually feel like more than smartphone apps.

The zooming and scrolling performance - even on 4.3 - is still not as fluid as the old iPad mini or an iPad 3.

battery drain while sleeping is way, way worse than on iOS, so it needs to be plugged in more frequently and more care needs to be taken about which apps are running.

There are tradeoffs for all devices. The N7 has the best price and is more portable, but it really does not feel as nice or work as smoothly as the mini. And the screen size and AR means that apps are more crammed - like iphone apps - than ipad apps. It feels like a more constrained device.

I know you don’t give a shit about these things and you just like to troll. But for anyone else who has not used iPads or Nexus 7 devices, it’s not a cut and dry case for the cheaper, higher spec'd Nexus. You really need to play around with both for extended periods of time and figure out just what you want to do with one of these before you say the N7 is the leader in the category. I do not think it’s that simple.

Agreed. Though I'm not sure how scrolling and zooming were measured on the N7 in some general way, but whateva.

I've owned both for some time. The OG mini was better at app consumption (iOS), games (iOS) and lite content creation (better apps). N7 better at multimedia (aspect ratio and stereo speakers), web browsing (screen resolution and weight), reading (aspect ratio and resolution)

New mini at least solves the resolution so reading is improved. Though its still heavier. But it lasts longer.

One device looks and feels premium, the other is cheaper materials but lighter and cheaper priced.

Tradeoffs

solarus

Agreed. Though I'm not sure how scrolling and zooming were measured on the N7 in some general way, but whateva.

I've owned both for some time. The OG mini was better at app consumption (iOS), games (iOS) and lite content creation (better apps). N7 better at multimedia (aspect ratio and stereo speakers), web browsing (screen resolution and weight), reading (aspect ratio and resolution)

New mini at least solves the resolution so reading is improved. Though its still heavier. But it lasts longer.

One device looks and feels premium, the other is cheaper materials but lighter and cheaper priced.

Tradeoffs
Disagree with web browsing and reading personally i think the mini trumps the nexus 7 in those areas too, my og nexus 7's only advantage compared to my mini was that it could play a variety of file formats and I could drag and drop onto it with ease, also emulators.

How do the iPad Air specs compare to the iPhone 5S?

I'm probably going to hold off until the next upgrade. Didn't really grab me even if I love the thin stuff.

JavyOO7

Alrighty, so with a student discount, A 13" Retina MBP w/ 8GB of RAM & 256GB SSD comes out to $1399. This will be my graduation gift! Plus my family contract is up on December 1st so I'm getting myself a 5S. Put Apple up in my veins.

I'm really dumb when it comes to this stuff. Is the 1399 before tax? Or do I have to add tax to that cost?

How do the iPad Air specs compare to the iPhone 5S?

I'm probably going to hold off until the next upgrade. Didn't really grab me even if I love the thin stuff.

Same processor chip but the iPad has a higher resolution which probably uses a little more gpu to fully function, so very similar but who knows if 3D games will run just as well until it's out and tested.

nullref

Side note: On the Apple Store you can configure a lower end 15" to the same price as the higher end, but the one difference being no discrete GPU. What an odd oversight. I'd hate to accidentally order that specification.

And worse, once you've ordered one, the order status screen doesn't make it clear what GPU configuration you ordered. I intended to get the one with the dGPU, but then got paranoid about what base config I'd chosen, and ended up calling customer support to confirm I'd picked the right one. :)

I'm a huge Apple fan, but their pricing is fucking ridiculous. I might pick up the original iPad mini because it seems like it's the only tablet they have that is reasonably priced.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And worse, once you've ordered one, the order status screen doesn't make it clear what GPU configuration you ordered. I intended to get the one with the dGPU, but then got paranoid about what base config I'd chosen, and ended up calling customer support to confirm I'd picked the right one. :)
Well it's easy. If you want the proper one, just click the second option. The first one would need to be configured.

Since in order to actually ship you the first option, they have to build it. The second would just be off the shelf at the warehouse.

I'd probably be paranoid too but eh. Whatever.

I wonder if I can walk into the Apple Store and pick it up. Does anyone think they'd keep all the base configurations?

I miss the MacOutfitters. I really wanted to support them with this machine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a huge Apple fan, but their pricing is fucking ridiculous. I might pick up the original iPad mini because it seems like it's the only tablet they have that is reasonably priced.

You can't be serious. Do you realize how illogical that is? You think one product is overpriced so instead go for the product that has a far worse value proposition? The original iPad Mini was dated when it came out. It's an iPad 2, which was dated when it came out in March of 2011, in a smaller body. The iPad 2 and original iPad Mini are the worst values you could possibly get in the current tablet market.

You're better off spending $100 more for what you may consider overpriced, but at least is a product that contains some very good hardware (better than just about any of the competition for now).

nullref

Well it's easy. If you want the proper one, just click the second option. The first one would need to be configured.

Sure, it's not hard to do. Like I said, it was just paranoia. Not rational. :)

Since in order to actually ship you the first option, they have to build it. The second would just be off the shelf at the warehouse.

I went for the 2.6 Ghz CPU upgrade, so they'd be built to order in either case.

solarus

You can't be serious. Do you realize how illogical that is? You think one product is overpriced so instead go for the product that has a far worse value proposition? The original iPad Mini was dated when it came out. It's an iPad 2, which was dated when it came out in March of 2011, in a smaller body. The iPad 2 and original iPad Mini are the worst values you could possibly get in the current tablet market.

You're better off spending $100 more for what you may consider overpriced, but at least is a product that contains some very good hardware (better than just about any of the competition for now).
Same innards as the air, just with a smaller form factor and 100 dollars less. The og mini with innards a gen behind the bigger ipad was worse.

NYR

The iPad air branding is still a mystery to me. In the Mac line air denotes the less powerful in favor of portability line.
False.

Air means thin. Nothing else. Attaching anything else to that definition is consumer definition and coincidence. Apple does not market "cheap", "less powerful" etc.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
False.

Air means thin. Nothing else. Attaching anything else to that definition is consumer definition and coincidence. Apple does not market "cheap", "less powerful" etc.
You're just splitting hairs. It's the exact same thing. We don't tolerate word games.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I went for the 2.6 Ghz CPU upgrade, so they'd be built to order in either case.
The $1600 price is already high enough for me. I probably won't add another few hundred to get more CPU. It's gonna cost me more than $3000 after tax and AppleCare to get this new machine. I better get 3 years out of it if not more.

MrGerbils

Since there doesn't seem to be a Mac Pro official thread, I'll have to post my excitement here.. I can't wait. Although I wish they announced pricing and a release date for all the different core variations. Ideally I'd like to pick up one with 12 cores.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly, I'm gonna just get the 13" or base 15".

The price on 15 rmbp with 750 is ridiculous. 500 bucks more for 10-15% graphical difference? No ty.

Apple has raised the price of a discrete GPU to 3000 dollars!

Remember when you could get a GPU on a macbook for the super low price of 1800 dollars lawl.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Since there doesn't seem to be a Mac Pro official thread, I'll have to post my excitement here.. I can't wait. Although I wish they announced pricing and a release date for all the different core variations. Ideally I'd like to pick up one with 12 cores.
I look forward to benchmarks on all the new stuff today. Especially the Retina Pro's. But damn, those Mac Pro's with their super fast SSD. I can't wait to see how fast it is.

Speaking of which, I can't even imagine what a Terrabyte of Flash is like. Especially at $1000. (And don't think I'm not tempted to spend another $500 on top of the $1600 I am already just to get 1TB in my rMBP.)

Log4Girlz

The iPad air branding is still a mystery to me. In the Mac line air denotes the less powerful in favor of portability line. In the mobile line mini has meant same experience but smaller and friendlier. I think a pro/larger iPad is basically a foregone conclusion now. I mean, right? Right?!?

As light as Air. Tada

Maddrical

I've never followed Apple products too much other than owning an iPhone, but the Mac Pro seems like the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. I cannot find a full spec table but from what I've read the specs seem very standard and less than my current PC which I built for under $2000. I mean are they REALLY shipping it with a 256GB SSD and nothing else for storage? Am I missing something here??

As always I'm not happy with Apple's RAM and GB add on prices. Not enough to not buy MacBook Pros, iPads, and iPhones. But I'm not happy. No way RAM, Flash Memory, and SSDs cost that much to upgrade. I wish they would stop using it as a way to make even more money.

leng jai

I've never followed Apple products too much other than owning an iPhone, but the Mac Pro seems like the biggest waste of money I've ever seen. I cannot find a full spec table but from what I've read the specs seem very standard and less than my current PC which I built for under $2000. I mean are they REALLY shipping it with a 256GB SSD and nothing else for storage? Am I missing something here??

The build quality is insane and the trackpad alone trumps it over any other laptop for me.

SeanR1221

As much as I want to retire my iPad 3 I use for work (mostly kids apps for autistic kids) and make my iPad mini my work iPad and buy an iPad air for myself, I can't justify it. There's nothing I can't do on the mini that I could do on the air. Sure, using it to take notes at meetings would be nicer with the bigger screen, but taking notes on mini using he on screen keyboard is easier when I'm out in the field.

And honestly, even though the iPad 3 took a hit with ios 7 it's not like my kids care. It still runs all the kids games perfectly fine.

Maybe in a couple years....

elty

My HP Touchpad is too heavy, my SO's iPad 2 is not great for reading magazine, so I am thinking of getting a new tablet soon.

I thought the new iPad mini would be good, I like the screen aspect ratio more than the Nexus 7. So I was planning to get that..... until I see the price. $399????

And the 3 generations old iPad 2 is still selling for $399? I guess the sole purpose of its existence is to make the $399 iPad mini look good.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The pricing has been a constant even with better tech. Seems fine to me.

Really intrigued by the midrange 13" rMBP. I think it will have just enough power under the hood to handle the few hours of video I need to edit each week.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

So, price out a PC with those exact specs, and let us know what you find out.

As far as storage aside from the SSD, that's what the Thunderbolt connectors are for.

So pretty much the Retina Mini is probably the better deal? I'm torn now. Larger Screen but 16gb -> $499 or Smaller Screen with 32gb -> $499 (or 16gb for $399).

Koodo

Banned
I'm wondering if I should get a mid-range 13" MBPr configured to 16GB of RAM ($1699) or a standard high-end 13" MBPr ($1799, 8GB of RAM).

Which would be the better proposition in terms of longevity and some light gaming?

Is this the first time in awhile that Apple has announced something only as coming really soon but no date? Kinda weird it's only a few weeks away and they didn't announce a date for the Mini.

I'm wondering if I should get a mid-range 13" MBPr configured to 16GB of RAM ($1699) or a standard high-end 13" MBPr ($1799, 8GB of RAM).

Which would be the better proposition in terms of longevity and some light gaming?

16gb RAM > 256gb extra ssd space IMO. But it really depends on how much storage you really need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom