• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

kaskade

Well I finished my paper with 2 hours to spare. Wasn't expecting to blow through this so quickly. Guess it's time for some video games.

knicks

Ok, lets look at the changes between the 5S and 6:

- 4.7" screen
- Higher res screen but same PPI
- Better contrast ratio and viewing angles
- Better battery life for most tasks
- New SOC with A8 with better sustained performance over long periods of time
- Faster LTE with 150Mb/s (increase of 50Mb/s over iPhone 5S)
- New industrial design (much thinner and curvier)
- Better FaceTime and iSight Cameras (faster auto focus and better shooting modes)
- NFC payments

My only disappointment is that the 6 doesn't have 2gb or ram (neither does the 6+?). It's a big upgrade in every other way. I own a 5 and it was a nice jump from the 4S but it didn't blow it away. I think the biggest jump was the 3GS to the 4, that was amazing and I doubt we'll ever get a jump that substantial again. 6 is a solid improvement but we're at a point of diminishing returns, we're not going to see massive jumps like before.

I disagree. If the iPhone 6 had a 1080P screen, and a battery as good as the 6 Plus it would have been an incredible upgrade. These are two incredibly important features, especially when you look at how much better the battery is for the 6 Plus, and how every new phone released since last Summer have screen that range from 1080P all the way to 2K.

While the battery life is better than the 5S in some departments it is similar in most. And where it is better, it is literally by an hour. All of your bullet points are far from substantial improvements, maybe that is just my opinion. I feel like the main difference truthfully is just the design.

And to your last statement....while I am an iPhone fan, and far from an Android fanboy, if this new iPhone was waterproof, had wireless charging, and some other features that other phones have...well I think it would be a massive jump to be honest.

MercuryLS

Banned
I think once you use a bigger device you won't be able to go back to a smaller one, but it does suck that they are going to force one on people, but it makes all too much sense to do this for Apple because look, they can now charge more for phones.

I just really like being able to reach any part of the screen easily with one hand. 4.7" is pushing it, it's a bit of a stretch but it's doable. I hope that the thinness and curviness of the devices helps with one handed reachability. The double tap home thing is something I don't want to have to use very often. The world wants big phones, it's a shame that 4" high end phones are pretty much dead now.

I've tried bigger devices before like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4, I didn't like them. That might have to do with the design, materials, thickness and my dislike for Android though. I remember it being a bit of a reach to hit stuff at the top of the screen, it wasn't impossible but it was a stretch and it was annoying.

Thanks.

64GB 6 Plus in Space Grey on ATT Next it is then.

Bro-fist!

This is what I plan to get also. I have to call AT&T to see if they can move my 12 month Next option which is due on October 4th, but I dont see why they wouldn't, knowing that I have 5 lines with them and that the T-Mobile store is in front of them at my local mall and I just need to cross there to get a better deal if they wont budge. :D

outsidah

I disagree. If the iPhone 6 had a 1080P screen, and a battery as good as the 6 Plus it would have been an incredible upgrade. These are two incredibly important features, especially when you look at how much better the battery is for the 6 Plus, and how every new phone released since last Summer have screen that range from 1080P all the way to 2K.

While the battery life is better than the 5S in some departments it is similar in most. And where it is better, it is literally by an hour. All of your bullet points are far from substantial improvements, maybe that is just my opinion. I feel like the main difference truthfully is just the design.

And to your last statement....while I am an iPhone fan, and far from an Android fanboy, if this new iPhone was waterproof, had wireless charging, and some other features that other phones have...well I think it would be a massive jump to be honest.

Apple never makes massive jumps, at least not lately and not with the iPhone.

v0yce

I think once you use a bigger device you won't be able to go back to a smaller one, but it does suck that they are going to force one on people, but it makes all too much sense to do this for Apple because look, they can now charge more for phones.

I don't know. I prefered my 4 to my 5. And I have a Note3 for work and it's silly big. Big phones just feel clumsy.

kneePat

You can disagree all you want, but we are at a point of diminishing returns.

I don't know. I prefered my 4 to my 5. And I have a Note3 for work and it's silly big. Big phones just feel clumsy.

Maybe I am generalizing here, but I know for my parents a bigger phone will end any thoughts about going back to a smaller phone and maybe that's who I think I'm talking about. I agree with to preferring 4 to 5 because after using the 5 for 2 years I can say it is not Apple's best effort. Also the 4/4S is a really beautiful piece of hardware, and still unmatched IMO.

Iacobellis

What? The 6 and 6+ screen have the same advancements to the screen. Both screen are higher res but the 6+ has improved PPI. Both screens have the higher contrast ratio (actually the 6 has better contrast ration than the 6+) and better viewing angles. What was the massive improvement between the 4S and 5? Cause that wasn't some massive leap.

The leap between the 5s and 6 seems better than the one between the 4S and the 5.

Almost as good as the jump from 3GS to 4. 😉

BearPawB

Banned
wonder how long it is going to take the websites to get unfucked tonight.
I remember for the 5 or 5s it was a complete nightmare

Guess Who

Banned
The joke about the 3GS and the 4 is that, hardware-wise, the 4 is basically an overclocked 3GS with a nicer display, camera, and design. Yet everyone thinks of that jump as somehow huge.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So if I'm switching from AT&T to Tmo, is my only hope for a day 1 phone paying the unsubsidized price?

DOWN

Banned
wonder how long it is going to take the websites to get unfucked tonight.
I remember for the 5 or 5s it was a complete nightmare

Use the Apple Store official app. Usually has gone live just a few minutes after midnight PST while the site is stuck.

Maybe I am generalizing here, but I know for my parents a bigger phone will end any thoughts about going back to a smaller phone and maybe that's who I think I'm talking about. I agree with to preferring 4 to 5 because after using the 5 for 2 years I can say it is not Apple's best effort. Also the 4/4S is a really beautiful piece of hardware, and still unmatched IMO.

iPhone 4 is my all time favorite hardware design, largely just considering how major good that design was. Glass front and back, antenna/rim of stainless steel, highest res phone display, world's thinnest smartphone. It was gorgeous. Since 5 was a bit derivative of it's shape, it didn't hit the same, nor has 6. But I'm ready for 6, looks great regardless.

Mr Swine

Banned
So why did Apple opt to have a 1080P screen on the + and not their custom made resolution like they had in the past? Also I keep hearing that the resolution is higher then down sampled on the +. Doesn't that mean that the 6 is faster than the +?

Couleurs

This doesn't work. It isn't considering my resolution, so the 17-inch setting makes Plus too small, the 15-inch setting (my screen size) makes it way too big (like it has a 6.5 inch screen on my monitor now.

It wasn't showing proper sizes for me in Firefox (it was showing the 6 Plus as being slightly bigger than my 5), but it worked just fine in Chrome.

Dead

well not really...yet
So why did Apple opt to have a 1080P screen on the + and not their custom made resolution like they had in the past? Also I keep hearing that the resolution is higher then down sampled on the +. Doesn't that mean that the 6 is faster than the +?
what?

If the res is higher and then downsampled, isn't that gonna look fucking incredible?

MercuryLS

Banned

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I haven't given a damn about PPI since the iPhone 4, it's sharp enough for my eyes. What matters to me is contrast ratio and viewing angles which have been improved with the new screen. Yes the battery is marginally better, but I didn't expect some massive jump here, has there ever been a massive jump in battery life from one iPhone gen to another? Waterproof would require little tabs to cover the exposed bits, no thanks. Wireless charging would be cool, but it would add thickness so that's a bit of a tradeoff.

I don't begrudge you for expecting more. I just don't see how the 6 isn't a substantial upgrade over the 5S, every aspect of the phone has been improved in some way. You may look at them and say that they're minor improvements, but they're improvements none the less.

Vyer

I'm transferring my wife from her 5 over to my 5S. Man I forgot how awesome the icloud restore is. The only thing I had to plug in where her email passwords. So easy.

I'm really surprised so many people are getting the 6+. Good for us 6 buyers I guess. I wonder if people don't realize how big a 5.5 inch phone really is.

I still have no interest in a 'phablet', but I'm sure it's a nice phone like the others in the category for people who want that size.

I'll be going with the 6. Improved screen, A8 and new GPU, improved camera and better battery life are all in line with what I expected. I'm sure the OIS and even bigger battery is nice, but it's not a trade off I want to make.

Am I missing something or is ATT Next not a bad deal?

It seems to basically be an interest free no fee loan for the price of the phone that you can pay off at any time.

Already on the contract free family pricing, and not going to sign another service contract.

I've been looking at it today. My problem is that the device service fee + the phone payment - the mobile share 'discount' = more than I'm paying a month now. I don't get how it's an advantage to me over just paying the cost on a regular 2 year contract. Obviously off contract is the best route but I'm not really looking to pay that much up front.

quoting myself for info relevant on Next. There are no hidden charges, and if you pay off the phone, you can do whatever you want with it.

Hmm. Are you on any sort of mobile share plan or just a single line?

I'm sitting here, with my Note 2, reading this thread, getting hyped, might do something rash like order a 6+ 64GB off contract. So if I want to do that for Verizon, best place would be Apple.com?

Dartastic

Waterproof capability and wireless charging would have been far, far better than the battery life and the higher resolution screen, IMO. Also a sapphire screen. That shit looks insanely durable.

Nori Chan

Has anyone had experience of upgrading two phones in a family plan for att? I'm scared that I have to do separate transactions for it and I'm kinda lost of how the process is.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm transferring my wife from her 5 over to my 5S. Man I forgot how awesome the icloud restore is. The only thing I had to plug in where her email passwords. So easy.

I still have no interest in a 'phablet', but I'm sure it's a nice phone like the others in the category for people who want that size.

I'll be going with the 6. Improved screen, A8 and new GPU, improved camera and better battery life are all in line with what I expected. I'm sure the OIS and even bigger battery is nice, but it's not a trade off I want to make.

I've been looking at it today. My problem is that the device service fee + the phone payment - the mobile share 'discount' = more than I'm paying a month now. I don't get how it's an advantage to me over just paying the cost on a regular 2 year contract. Obviously off contract is the best route but I'm not really looking to pay that much up front.

Hmm. Are you on any sort of mobile share plan or just a single line?
Next is a much better value depending on your corporate discount too if you have one. For me I get more than I did before on a standard 2 year contract plan. So I'm on next, paying less, have an extra gig of data per month and can change every 12 months...sounds like a win to me.

Decided I'm gonna open a new line and order directly from Verizon and have it shipped.

I work Friday and I don't wanna deal with having to go to either store after work.

DOWN

Banned

Be happy because it probably saved money and also IT'S A RETINA DISPLAY. You can't even see the pixels without looking for them anyway.

MercuryLS

Banned

The 6+ has to downscale a 3x retina res, the 6 doesn't have to do that because it maintains the 2x retina res PPI, just more pixels.

Yes that might impact performance. I don't like the fact that iOS and the Apps that run on it are going to be rendered at a higher res and down sampled on the 6+. That's actually a big knock against it IMO.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't really mind the display staying at 326ppi (I mean, it's not ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker), but let's not pretend that there's no visible difference between that and 450+ ppi displays.

DOWN

Banned
I am on a family plan where someone else pays for the 10gb share. ATT Next is nothing but trouble for me. I'd end up paying way more because I'd have to cover the phone payment part of the line and that's like 700 vs paying 400 day one for the 64gb and Apple Care+

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
2 more hours! just saw a movie, i'm ready for this. Actually, I'm not. Still flipping back and forth between 6 and 6 plus ;_;

kneePat

Actually I don't think they were able to get the custom resolution screen they wanted.

The iPhone 6+ renders at 2208 x 1242 (3x) and then rather clumsily downscales to the 1080p screen. Essentially this means that there are 736 x 414 physical points for app designers and they use a 3x3 pixel arrangement for these points. All in all app designers are not happy they don't have exact control over the pixels because of this after downscaling. The retina 'magic' first introduced with the iPhone 4 was done by leaving the number of physical points the same as on the original iPhone but instead using a 2x2 pixel (instead of 1 pixel) arrangement allowing for double the resolution at a single physical location.

As for being faster its really not gonna matter in most applications because you need to consider physical points (the iPhone 6 has 667 x 375 physical points vs the iPhone 6+'s 736 x 414 physical points) which is not as large a divide as the resolution would imply. Also all physical elements (like buttons) will be 6% larger on the 6+.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't really mind the display staying at 326ppi (I mean, it's not ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker), but let's not pretend that there's no visible difference between that and 450+ ppi displays.

Are the performance knocks that come from pushing that many more pixels worth it? Is the difference really noticeable to warrant that trade off? I'm seriously asking because I use an iPhone 5 and never have felt like it would be a significantly better experience with a higher PPI.

Husker86

Am I missing something or is ATT Next not a bad deal?

It seems to basically be an interest free no fee loan for the price of the phone that you can pay off at any time.

Already on the contract free family pricing, and not going to sign another service contract.

That's exactly what it is. It's a fine deal. I don't know why some people shit on it.

Their reduced plan pricing for people off contract is a vast improvement over what they were before. It gets to be in 'actual good deal' territory if you have multiple lines. I pay less than a Straight Talk plan and I get more data and roaming!

Ceres

Banned
Got out of a concert just after midnight. Waited half an hour for a cold burger from checkers. Back at hotel now killing time. And it's not even a phone for myself ;_;

(Still fine with my 5 - will probably wait until 6s)

DOWN

Banned
Are the performance knocks that come from pushing that many more pixels worth it? Is the difference really noticeable to warrant that trade off? I'm seriously asking because I use an iPhone 5 and never have felt like it would be a significantly better experience with a higher PPI.

Same. I've compared screens around and just feel like I wouldn't mind, but I'd hardly notice.

The whole point of Retina branding was that they tested it and picked the custom resolution at which viewers failed to distinguish and perceive individual pixels at normal viewing distances. As long as it still does that, it's very solid.

chidrock

Still flipping between the 6 and the 6+, and all I come across are people who are making the jump to the bigger phone...anyone sticking to the 4.7"? Lol

Still trying to find an article where someone mentions whether or not the screen on the 6 is not as good looking than the 6+. Most just comment about the size, but that's it. I haven't seen anyone say that the Plus looks sharper than the 6.

So what color is everyone going for? I've always gotten the black iPhones, but this time I was considering the white version for a change. I have a lot of photos on my phone, so I was wondering how it would affect looking at them.

hiryu2015

I still have an iPhone 4 I got late summer 2010. I've never personally upgraded my phone or plan (only on a family plan previously and I didn't deal with bill) so all the fine print is headache-inducing. I'm almost certain I'll just renew my contract with the current plan and get the 64GB 6.

Thanks for all the videos and tools to evaluate phone sizes. I was pretty set on the 6 until a few hours ago when I started reading about the Plus. Now that I've thought it through, I'll probably stay with the regular 6, as I think the Plus would be too cumbersome to use.

Someone on macrumors posted a link to this site, that will show you the actual size of the devices based on your screen size.

http://www.piliapp.com/actual-size/

Holy FUCK the 6 Plus is ENORMOUS. I had to double check their iPhone 5 size with mine to make sure it was giving me the right size on my screen. I knew it would be big but I didn't expect THAT big.

I'm almost rethinking my purchase now O__O; Dunno if I'm man enough for dat 5.5.

Addnan

On the Apple store app it won't make me use my saved payment method that I use in the app store will it? Can't pay £700 with that card...

Iacobellis

Why shouldn't they go with 1080p? It's a perfectly good resolution at that size.

He's just questioning as to why Apple finally went with a common resolution for one of their mobile devices. I think it's the first time they've ever done that, at least for the iPhone.

And to those saying the 3GS to 4 wasn't a big leap, yes it was. We got a thinner chassis made of aluminum and glass, the new A4 chip, boost in RAM to 512MB, vastly improved display using IPS technology with a quadrupled resolution and better contrast ratio, front camera, new rear 5MP camera that also recorded 720p video, a second microphone for noise canceling, and FaceTime. Plus, it was the first device fully optimized to run iOS 4, which was a major software update that started to really tackle the features that made jailbreaking a near necessity in the early days of the iPhone. Steve literally went out with a bang with that being his last iPhone to reveal.

DOWN

Banned
Holy FUCK the 6 Plus is ENORMOUS. I had to double check their iPhone 5 size with mine to make sure it was giving me the right size on my screen. I knew it would be big but I didn't expect THAT big.

I'm almost rethinking my purchase now O__O; Dunno if I'm man enough for dat 5.5.

Yeah, got that site working and it's like as big as my face. 6 in Space Grey 64gb here I come.

chidrock

Lol I am looking at it on my iPad screen and it feels like it is half the size of the iPad.

Yet at the same time the 6 feels small and inconsequential because of that.

Guess Who

Banned
He's just questioning as to why Apple finally went with a common resolution for one of their mobile devices. I think it's the first time they've ever done that, at least for the iPhone.

And to those saying the 3GS to 4 wasn't a big leap, yes it was. We got a thinner chassis made of aluminum and glass, the new A4 chip, boost in RAM to 512MB, vastly improved display using IPS technology with a quadrupled resolution and better contrast ratio, front camera, new rear 5MP camera that also recorded 720p video, a second microphone for noise canceling, and FaceTime. Plus, it was the first device fully optimized to run iOS 4, which was a major software update that started to really tackle the features that made jailbreaking a near necessity in the early days of the iPhone. Steve literally went out with a bang with that being his last iPhone to reveal.

A4 chip was the same CPU core (Cortex A8) and GPU (PowerVR SGX535) as the 3GS, just clocked a bit higher and with more RAM. It was the iPad 3 A5X of its time. Yes, the display was new and beautiful, but much like the iPad 3, some things actually ran worse than the 3GS because of the resolution bump without a sufficient bump in hardware capability. And the 3GS ran iOS 4 absolutely fine.

The design was great, the display was beautiful, and the camera improvements were very welcome, but I'd hardly say it was a tremendous leap forward.

Top Bottom