• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April Wrasslin' |OT| 2017 Season Premiere

Zach

Dunno if anyone posted it, but on JR's podcast Meltz said that AJ/Shane will probably be his highest rated match of Mania lol.

Let's see your ratings, Sir_Crocodile! Here are mine:

Neville/Aries - ****
Mojo Battle Royale - 1/16*
Ambrose/Corbin - **
Styles/McMahon - ***
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - ***1/2
Hardyz, etc. - **1/2
Cena and friends - *1/2
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - *1/2
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - RIP

Isn't that the consensus? I remember many agreeing with that in the Mania thread.

Yeah, but the very idea that THAT is the bar blows my mind given the talent vince has.

Just god tier mismanagement.

Although I guess Aries/Neville would have been a lot better if it happened after the sun went down.

ReiGun

The Shining Stars push got killed because the moment they walked out for their proper debut they got greeted with a crowd so silent that Corpus Christi looked like Full Sail in comparison.
I still don't get why they're heels. They just want people to vacation in Puerto Rico.

Caderfix

...During the pull-apart, Orndorff landed a perfect punch that knocked Vader silly. While Vader was on the ground on his back, Orndorff began kicking him in the face. Luckily, he was wearing sandals, so it could have been way worse...

THIS WAS A SHOOT!

That made me laugh so much for some reason.

Zach

I'd probably give Jerichowens **1/2 today. I don't think I was considering the finger on the rope when I made those knee-jerk ratings immediately after Manio.

I thought Naomi was supposed to be good now?
Q6D9h7D.gif

I didn't think you could make the Benadryller look shittier, but she managed it.

/dead

Let's see your ratings, Sir_Crocodile! Here are mine:

Neville/Aries - ***
Mojo Battle Royale - dud
Ambrose/Corbin - *
Styles/McMahon - ***
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - **½
Hardyz, etc. - ***
Cena and friends - *
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - *
Goldberg/Lesnar - **½
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - dud

Sephzilla

Neville/Aries - ***
Mojo Battle Royale - MINUS. FIVE. STARS.
Ambrose/Corbin - *½
Styles/McMahon - ***½
Owens/Jericho - **½
Bayley and co. - **½
Hardyz, etc. - ***
Cena and friends - *
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - **½
Naomi and more - ½
Undertaker/Reigns - *

Neville/Aries - ****
Mojo Battle Royale - *
Ambrose/Corbin - *
Styles/McMahon - **
Owens/Jericho - **
Bayley and co. - **
Hardyz, etc. - ****
Cena and friends - **
Rollins/H - *
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - **
Naomi and more - *
Undertaker/Reigns - *

Kaladin

Neville/Aries - ***
Mojo Battle Royale - MINUS. FIVE. STARS.
Ambrose/Corbin - *½
Styles/McMahon - ***½
Owens/Jericho - **½
Bayley and co. - **½
Hardyz, etc. - ***
Cena and friends - *
Rollins/H - **
Orton/Wyatt - **
Goldberg/Lesnar - **½
Naomi and more - ½
Undertaker/Reigns - *

Only things I'd change :

Styles/McMahon - ***
Rollins/H - ***½
Goldberg/Lesnar - ***

Rollins vs HHH was boring as fuck with the crowd not caring until the last five minutes when everything picked up. Five minutes of good stuff in a 25+ minute match isn't a good thing.

Kaladin

The rest of the match being a snoozefest and Rollins forgetting to sell his knee says otherwise.

The Pedigree exchange at the end though was pretty good.

I actually liked that Rollins didn't oversell his knee. It wasn't so much a snoozefest as the crowd was burned out by the matches that came before it. It suffered from bad placement more than anything.

Kaladin

The only real knock I'd give the Rollins/HHH match is they brought out the table too soon. Nobody is going to believe a pinfall with an un-used table in play.

Sephzilla

NXT's quality has taken such a nosedive since Dusty's passing.

Dusty passing plus the NXT creative team moving to Smackdown

The only real knock I'd give the Rollins/HHH match is they brought out the table too soon. Nobody is going to believe a pinfall with an un-used table in play.

One of my friends pointed out that Rollins brought out the table, set up the table, and then immediately ignored its existence. Like, there wasn't even any kind of table spot tease leading up to it because Rollins immediately disregarded the table upon setting it up.

Sephzilla

I really wish Bret Hart, Jake Roberts, and Scott Hall were all working with NXT. I feel like the three of them could collectively help fill the void Dusty left there. Unfortunately Roberts and Hall are probably too risky for WWE to employ.

Seth's selling game was shitty during the match too.

'Lemme use consistent knee based offense throughout the match but don't worry for about twenty seconds I'll scream and grab my knee and move around the ring in pain on the ground but then I'll stand and hit Triple H with more knee based offense but I'll hit the ground again and again, and let's keep repeating it until I get my win with a move that literally involves me jumping up in the air and crashing down on my knees.'

Kaladin

One of my friends pointed out that Rollins brought out the table, set up the table, and then immediately ignored its existence. Like, there wasn't even any kind of table spot tease leading up to it because Rollins immediately disregarded the table upon setting it up.

True, they brought it out and ignored it. It was even one of those rare spots where the person setting up the table didn't go through it.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Shoot: I think the only straight up blemishes on Ambrose last year are the Lesnar match and the Ziggler match. One of those isn't his fault.

His matches against KO, Triple H, the triple threats that he was in (Fastlane, Battleground, No Mercy), his matches against AJ, they are all good to great.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Aries vs Neville was the biggest disappointment of the night. I expected match of the night and I got an average at best match with little to no excitement. It could have been a 205 Live main event. Pretty much every match disappointed me except Rollins vs HHH, the Raw ladder match and and AJ vs Shane.

LOVED HHH Rollins by the way. That was the match that had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish.

Sephzilla

Shoot: I think the only straight up blemishes on Ambrose last year are the Lesnar match and the Ziggler match. One of those isn't his fault.

His matches against KO, Triple H, the triple threats that he was in (Fastlane, Battleground, No Mercy), his matches against AJ, they are all good to great.

You know what, I actually think I'm going to side with you on this. I think Ambrose has slacked off since WrestleMania last year but I do think that maybe the hate on Ambrose is getting to be a little too much. I think it didn't help that Ambrose got called out by Steve Austin and then put out that Dolph Ziggler stinker not long after.

The Shield triple threat at Battleground was kinda disappointing and that's more really on WWE then the actual guys. It was an okay match wrestling-wise but for the big Shield triple threat, it ended up being a good enough match on a B PPV to head into the brand split.

It's a match that could easily main event a Wrestlemania if they put the right amount of build into it.

Top Bottom