• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arab man killed by racist neighbor in Tulsa, OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

someday

Banned
He already tried to kill this guy's mom with a giant fast-moving mass of metal and failed. So yeah, maybe the gun is kind of relevant here? Like, if he used a gun for the first attempt he'd probably be in jail for killing her, instead of her son.
This is what people willfully ignore. Having a gun made this infinitely easier for the racist POS, hell probably effortless.

And looking at the pictures in the OP is upsetting. Only in America will an old, crusty white man that looks like that actually believe that somehow he was a better, more deserving human than the other family. Ugh.

Codeblue

This makes me sick to my stomach. The state failed this family repeatedly at every turn, and could only be bothered to act after someone was dead, not even after attempted murder.

It's not enough that this 60 year old man rots for the rest of his miserable life. I realize this state is hopelessly Republican and that minorities are inherently in danger in the state that greeted Obama with confederate flags, but damn, if you can't educate the populace, at least call something a hate crime when it's a hate crime.

LifEndz

What a nightmare. My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine what they went through with that nut living next door and now it culminated in this.

Cops were beyond useless in this case, before and after this tragedy.

Hope the cops get sued to hell for this. Already obvious his neighbour won't see the light of day again and more so got absolutely zero help with his anger/whatever issues.

All people of color in the United States need to arm themselves and get carry permits. It's the only thing that will move the discussion forward when it comes to reasonable gun control.

I don't know if they could have done anything about it other than monitor him 24/7 (like if he was in prison where he belonged, for example). I hate guns and the "good guy with a gun" narrative, but if someone hates you that much and has enacted violence against you or your family in the past, you should arm yourself.

Would not have changed a thing, unless the man walked to his mail the way Fox Mulder enters a dark building.

Morts

Say I buy a gun, then after that go commit some crimes or get diagnosed with mental illnesses that would show up on a background check and prevent me from buying a second gun. I'm assuming there's no mechanism for taking my first gun away?

Jumeira

Banned
There was an idiot on GAF a few days ago saying Islamaphobia isnt real, we have this poor guy being killed for nothing but hatred and 2 other Muslims shot and killed in NYC last week. Sorry I don't like to call people names but blatant ignorance in the face of so much suffering really gets to me.

Horrible news, I feel for the family, especially the mother :'(

He already tried to kill this guy's mom with a giant fast-moving mass of metal and failed. So yeah, maybe the gun is kind of relevant here? Like, if he used a gun for the first attempt he'd probably be in jail for killing her, instead of her son.
Yeah. To be honest I understand how gun is quite relevant to this case; it is just that whenever the gun control issue is raised, it is almost inevitable for the thread to be derailed.

There was an idiot on GAF a few days ago saying Islamaphobia isnt real, we have this poor guy being killed for nothing but hatred and 2 other Muslims shot and killed in NYC last week. Sorry I don't like to call people names but blatant ignorance in the face of so much suffering really gets to me.

Horrible news, I feel for the family, especially the mother :'(
Ironically, it seems they weren't even Muslims; but actually Christians. Racism against middle- Eastern looking people and islamophobia have mingled together to form a new level of bigotry.

zeemumu

Questions like why he wasn't on terror watch list when so many innocents make it just for the color of their skin?

Rest in Peace to the victim, and condolences to the family for silently bearing with years of harassment and terror by the hands of this deranged racist terrorist.

I already had that question with the "past of violent crimes" section.

Cops were beyond useless in this case, before and after this tragedy.

Hope the cops get sued to hell for this. Already obvious his neighbour won't see the light of day again and more so got absolutely zero help with his anger/whatever issues.

Yeah fuck the justice system. They failed. Someone needs to be held accountable because this should have been avoided

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Say I buy a gun, then after that go commit some crimes or get diagnosed with mental illnesses that would show up on a background check and prevent me from buying a second gun. I'm assuming there's no mechanism for taking my first gun away?

Depends on where you are. One of my past bosses had to give up all of his guns for years on two separate occasions. Once was for pointing a gun at someone at a traffic light. The other was for threatening suicide. This was in California.

zashga

Awful. I can't believe the judge granted bail to a man accused of trying to kill his neighbor. Like, what did he think would happen when that guy went home?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
*sigh*

I can't believe that this guy was able to get access to a gun. How the hell is that even possible? Isn't hit and run a felony? Any violent crime should pretty much ban you from being able to purchase a firearm. Unless he previously owned the weapon, or he purchased it illegally, the system fucked up royally there.

As for them not being able to do anything... well... yeah. I've seen that happen.

My old supervisor had a brother in law that was batshit, and was released from a secure mental facility. His wife (the crazy guy's sister) said that she'd take him in until he could find an apartment.

He started hearing voices. He wasn't taking his medication, and was starting to tweak out. My supervisor called both the police and the facility, and let them know that crazy guy was going to need to be in custody, because he was getting dangerous, and he feared for his family.

They said that they wouldn't be able to do anything, because he hasn't committed a crime. The most he could do, is get a restraining order.

The voices told him that he needed to take action. Lawrence Dane ended up killing his sister, Donna Mimbach, 29; her husband, Todd Mimbach, 32; and their children, Daniel Mimbach, 22 months; Amber Duval, 9, and John Mimbach, 12.

Javaman

I don't understand why he was even allowed to have a weapon let alone be free so easily.

Legally he probably wasn't. I'm not sure of the laws there but convicts aren't allowed to own guns in most places. The cops couldn't search for one unless they had a warrant.

Awful to hear about things like this, the state or authorities trying to wash their hands of a nutjob. Victims get shat on.

I wouldn't even rely on police or whoever, one look at this guy I'd get the fuck away even if it means losing a job or money on the house.

But I am flabbergasted at how hate works, I just don't get it? Is it a sickness, or is it a sickness, because I have no idea how someone could just want to murder someone without what I would assume is a "real" (albeit not a good) reason.

I mean shit, just take a look at that guy's picture. Have you ever met a true Alex Jones fan?

Sometimes, people are willing to warp their entire worldview so long as it enables them to hate anybody (and maybe everybody) besides themselves. Because god knows people like him truly, truly hate themselves during their brief and rare moments of true clarity.

Man the feeling of powerlessness at work here is disturbing. This dude harasses them, runs over their mother, continues to threaten , and eventually murders the son. Through out all this the tried to operate within the law with a restraining order and calling the police and they get nothing.

*sigh*

I can't believe that this guy was able to get access to a gun. How the hell is that even possible? Isn't hit and run a felony? Any violent crime should pretty much ban you from being able to purchase a firearm. Unless he previously owned the weapon, or he purchased it illegally, the system fucked up royally there.

As for them not being able to do anything... well... yeah. I've seen that happen.

My old supervisor had a brother in law that was batshit, and was released from a secure mental facility. His wife (the crazy guy's sister) said that she'd take him in until he could find an apartment.

He started hearing voices. He wasn't taking his medication, and was starting to tweak out. My supervisor called both the police and the facility, and let them know that crazy guy was going to need to be in custody, because he was getting dangerous, and he feared for his family.

They said that they wouldn't be able to do anything, because he hasn't committed a crime. The most he could do, is get a restraining order.

The voices told him that he needed to take action. Lawrence Dane ended up killing his sister, Donna Mimbach, 29; her husband, Todd Mimbach, 32; and their children, Daniel Mimbach, 22 months; Amber Duval, 9, and John Mimbach, 12.

At moments like these you have to take the law into your own hands. Buy a gun and take care of business, it's what conservative lawmakers want and respect.

Ultryx

I really think the downsides of the 2A outweigh the benefits.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think there is no way we can have regulations in place thats will prevent these things from happening.

In my opinion there is is no way around getting rid of the 2A and getting rid of the 300mil gun already in the country, if you want to fight the gun violence. I don't think anything else will have any meaningful effect. And I don't think taking the right to bear arms away from law abiding citizens is a big deal. Sure people would get mad, just like germans would get mad if you'd implement speedlimits on the Autobahn everywhere, but at the end of the day its not really infringing on their freedoms.

I respect your opinion, but I do disagree. The inclusion of the 2A in the Constitution is critial IMO. I highly, highly doubt the 2A will be eliminated. There would be a nationwide outcry. You don't seem to care too much about the 2A because perhaps you don't own any firearms yourself? I'm not sure. But to millions of others it is a given right -- and rightfully so via the Constitution.

That all being said, though I am pro-2A, I have reasonable (IMO) ideas that I think will help this country. It's not a one area tactic either, but an encompassing examination of the gun laws we currently have. The sad part is that we will never be able to prevent a criminal from getting what they want and doing harm to others. There are, however, ways we can make it more difficult without infringing upon the rights of law-abiding citizens. I really believe this.

Democrats and Republicans (and the NRA) need to pull their heads out of their asses though and be reasonable.

Cpvx0usUMAEFof9.jpg

Is this the face of the 2nd amendment people?

Keasar

Look man, we know you're upset about this person's death. Don't vilify every single gun owner in the US. There are plenty of us who are intelligent with our rights.

This guy had some major racial issues and probably mental problems that should have been diagnosed, additionally making him further ineligible to own a firearm.

I do appreciate knowing you want a full on elimination of the 2A though.
This person's death? This person's?!
I've have to read through thread after thread about people needlessly dying in America. I have had to feel sad and enraged over and over with massacre after massacre happening in the US. because of a problem that is so easy to bloody solve due to 2nd Amendment fuckers wanting their "rights" about guns because it makes them feel manly or whatever bullshit reasoning they use.

I don't give a single flying fuck that you consider guns a "right". Rights should be basic humanitarian shit like free speech, access to homes and healthcare. Not fucking weaponry! I come from a country where we have tons of guns but we do not jerk off to them and call having them a "right", for us it is a "privilege" if you are "allowed" to own a weapon and it requires some fucking harsh shit to go through before you are allowed even near one.

So yeah! I wish for the total abolishment of the 2nd Amendment, because that should be possible, CAUSE IT IS CALLED A FUCKING AMENDMENT! Fuck the fucking bible jerking on the goddamn American constitution, a piece of shit toilet paper written over 200 years ago by white slave owners who in reality because most Americans never fucking read a history book actually gave less shit about you and your rights than you think! I am so fucking tired of hearing about the goddamn 2nd Amendment calling it often a "God given right". THAT is fucking bullshit. It was written by dusty old fuckers and it is as easy to change as taking a fucking sharpie pen and scribbling over it! America is the only country who revere their constitution in this manner when the default position on the constitution in the western world is "Do we have one? Maybe, let's check."

Fuck that fucking 2nd Amendment, fuck guns, fuck this racist piece of shit and fuck gun lovers who keeps this shit going!

181.gif

No, I'll say whatever the fuck I want about this cause even if I am not American, like Jim Jefferies said, your FIRST Amendment lets me shit all over your Second if I fucking want to.
Which in my country is protected by the Yttrandefrihetsgrundlagen or "The Fundamental Law on Freedom of Expression", your precious guns ain't protected by fucking anything here.

BriGuy

Is this the face of the 2nd amendment people?
It's the face of ignorance. The face of blind hatred. The face of a broken system and a sick society.

That said, I imagine most "2nd ammendment people" probably recoil at this senseless murder like anybody else. They're not all the Yosemite Sam caricatures we paint them as.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Holy shit, never read about that story

I've lived in Tulsa my whole life and I never heard about it until after high school, despite the fact that 'Oklahoma History' was a required course.

The police and the entire justice system should feel deep shame at their abject failure here. Nothing is going to change by locking up the scum that they find after the scum does something heinous. Their inaction in an obviously dangerous situation caused a life to be lost.

It's the face of ignorance. The face of blind hatred. The face of a broken system and a sick society.

That said, I imagine most "2nd ammendment people" probably recoil at this senseless murder like anybody else. They're not all the Yosemite Sam caricatures we paint them as.

Do they take any ownership about enabling these guys by their militant love of nonesential & harmful shit like guns rights?

Not taught in schols either. I think that is a crime within itself.

I feel like that event, along with other "riots," need to be researched more. People don't really have a grasp of how imbedded racism is in this country. Tulsa is no different.

Ultryx

This person's death? This person's?!
I've have to read through thread after thread about people needlessly dying in America. I have had to feel sad and enraged over and over with massacre after massacre happening in the US. because of a problem that is so easy to bloody solve due to 2nd Amendment fuckers wanting their "rights" about guns because it makes them feel manly or whatever bullshit reasoning they use.

I don't give a single flying fuck that you consider guns a "right". Rights should be basic humanitarian shit like free speech, access to homes and healthcare. Not fucking weaponry! I come from a country where we have tons of guns but we do not jerk off to them and call having them a "right", for us it is a "privilege" if you are "allowed" to own a weapon and it requires some fucking harsh shit to go through before you are allowed even near one.

So yeah! I wish for the total abolishment of the 2nd Amendment, because that should be possible, CAUSE IT IS CALLED A FUCKING AMENDMENT! Fuck the fucking bible jerking on the goddamn American constitution, a piece of shit toilet paper written over 200 years ago by white slave owners who in reality because most Americans never fucking read a history book actually gave less shit about you and your rights than you think! I am so fucking tired of hearing about the goddamn 2nd Amendment calling it often a "God given right". THAT is fucking bullshit. It was written by dusty old fuckers and it is as easy to change as taking a fucking sharpie pen and scribbling over it! America is the only country who revere their constitution in this manner when the default position on the constitution in the western world is "Do we have one? Maybe, let's check."

Fuck that fucking 2nd Amendment, fuck guns, fuck this racist piece of shit and fuck gun lovers who keeps this shit going!

181.gif

No, I'll say whatever the fuck I want about this cause even if I am not American, like Jim Jefferies said, your FIRST Amendment lets me shit all over your Second if I fucking want to.
Which in my country is protected by the Yttrandefrihetsgrundlagen or "The Fundamental Law on Freedom of Expression", your precious guns ain't protected by fucking anything here.

Well, I'm glad you live in Sweden then. Don't forget your country has a population of ~ 10M, whereas the US has a population of ~ 325M. This country has over 32x the people. I'm open for logical, well thought out changes to the gun laws in this country, even as a gun owner. Seeing you write stuff like this just puckers my butt hole though.

Like, come on man. "A piece of shit toilet paper written over 200 years ago."

Although I do agree -- yes, fuck that racist piece of shit. He deserves to rot.

Definitely. Seeing news stories like that breaks my heart. It's the same across the board for anyone fighting for something they believe in. And when I say that I mean it hurts when someone else makes a poor example of others. That guy gives a fucking shitty perception of both gun owners and white people in society.

Dai101

Banned

I've lived in Tulsa my whole life and I never heard about it until after high school, despite the fact that 'Oklahoma History' was a required course.

Like you, there's millions of people that don't know about this and a lot of other attrocities that have been commited against black people and other minorities.

Here's a short list:

NeoGAF celebrates Black History Month 2016:
BHM 2015 OT. Last year we mostly kept things in thread, so it's worth a look.

From Malyse's Black History Month OT 2016 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178147

hwalker84

This is exactly why we need proper federal gun regulation. This guy is an absolute violent nutjob and was totally upfront about it. He should have never been allowed to get a weapon.

Who says he legally obtained it? I apologize if this has already be discussed. If this man legally walked into a FFL and purchased a firearm after what happened that's complete bullshit.

I remember this from one of the BHM threads on GAF. Its a damn shame these atrocities weren't discussed in my middle and high schools.
Unfortunately there are many incidents which people rarely hear about. Another one which I accidentally learned about a couple of weeks ago while reading on Du Bois was lynching of Jesse Washington. I won't even link to its Wikipedia page, it is quite disturbing.

Ultryx

Like you, there's millions of people that don't know about this and a lot of other attrocities that have been commited against black people and other minorities.

Here's a short list:

NeoGAF celebrates Black History Month 2016:
BHM 2015 OT. Last year we mostly kept things in thread, so it's worth a look.

From Malyse's Black History Month OT 2016 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178147

Excellent list. Everyone should definitely read. When I took a race relations class early on in university I had my mind blown by the sheer number of events that took place in our history that I never knew about. Goes along with the stuff you never learn in high school and wouldn't have found out about unless you committed to higher education.

*sigh*

Dang, that family was obliterated because of a lake of taking action. Scary folk are scary regardless of what means they use...

SeanC

Who says he legally obtained it? I apologize if this has already be discussed. If this man legally walked into a FFL and purchased a firearm after what happened that's complete bullshit.

He can still legally purchase a gun from non FFL sellers at any weekly gun show in that area of the country (sometimes twice a week). Just walk in with some cash and a dream.

Nephtis

Honestly for people like this I wouldn't be opposed to the death penalty. Especially with all these hate crimes.

Fuck that piece of shit.

Ultryx

He can still legally purchase a gun from non FFL sellers at any weekly gun show in that area of the country (sometimes twice a week). Just walk in with some cash and a dream.

Which is a HUGE issue. This is why I advocate mandatory transfers and sales for ANY transaction through an FFL.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I respect your opinion, but I do disagree. The inclusion of the 2A in the Constitution is critial IMO. I highly, highly doubt the 2A will be eliminated. There would be a nationwide outcry. You don't seem to care too much about the 2A because perhaps you don't own any firearms yourself? I'm not sure. But to millions of others it is a given right -- and rightfully so via the Constitution.

That all being said, though I am pro-2A, I have reasonable (IMO) ideas that I think will help this country. It's not a one area tactic either, but an encompassing examination of the gun laws we currently have. The sad part is that we will never be able to prevent a criminal from getting what they want and doing harm to others. There are, however, ways we can make it more difficult without infringing upon the rights of law-abiding citizens. I really believe this.

Democrats and Republicans (and the NRA) need to pull their heads out of their asses though and be reasonable.

And there was a nationwide outcry over abolishing slaver that led to a civil war, but you know what it is a better country for it .

Aselith

Cops get a lot of blame on this board and rightfully so, but what could they have done here? This is a failing of the court system not the police. They had no indication that he would do this other than he ran over his wife. That doesn't mean he's going to shoot the husband now the first chance he gets.

What would you have the cops do? Put an officer on front of the house 24/7 on the off chance that he might try something?

And just because he had a previous conviction of assault with a deadly weapon doesn't automatically make it a felony that he would lose his gun rights for. People plead to lesser crimes every day which drops a felony to a misdemeanor so that they can maintain their gun rights.

And a report to the police that he purchased a gun wouldn't be enough to do a search warrant even if he wasn't able to legally own a gun. You can't just call the police and say your neighbor that is a convicted felon bought a gun unless you are the one that sold it to him. You can't search his house by that alone. The police probably went over to his house and said "we have reports that you are in possession of a gun". He would then say "I don't have a gun I don't know what you're talking about". And that would be the end of it because the 4th amendment still applies for him.

Be mad, but be mad at the right organization. The cops didn't fail him, the judge that agreed to let him out on bond failed him.

Couldn't they have contacted a judge and have him issue a longer range restraining order to force the guy to leave the neighborhood due to the imminent threat?

Nabs

Last year, his mother had been jogging through the family’s quiet Tulsa neighborhood when she was nearly killed in a vicious hit-and-run. Police quickly arrested Vernon Majors, who, according to a police report, confessed to the crime and even offered a motive, calling the Jabaras “filthy Lebanese.”

On May 25 of this year, however, Majors bonded out of jail.

how.

RIP. The system failed them terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom