• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are single women over 30 screwed in dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No hard/fast rules, just if I feel he is tryng to play at something. But I have a busy lifestyle. It's me, my kid, work, hobbies and I am not going to compromise my life for anyone I didn't give birth to. You fit in or you don't.

As long as you recognize you're being extremely selective then it's all good. I also feel like you should definitely let men know upfront about all of the above too. Again, sounds like you're willing to live with the results of what the above attitude gets you.

Also realize that your initial perception of whether they're "playing something" may not always be necessarily correct, and that you being so upfront may not always give the best impression, and that certain things such as having a kid will also put off a lot of potential men.

CoolOff

Sure, but on the other end:

bu8ffAm.png

KUyey8C.png

Taken from: http://jonathansoma.com/singles/#3/4/2/0

I'm pretty sure that women are A-OK with this in mind. There's still an abundance of men until they hit their 40's.

Wait, how does this even work mathematically? More gay women than gay men?

Edit: Nevermind, they date upwards age-wise.

Sign of the times that a university education is needed for anything. I wonder if men who are electricians,etc. struggle with dating more than men who went to university.

I'm an Electrician and 32, when it comes to women who went to Uni I find a lot of them dont want to date 'down' with someone who didn't also go. Even the ones that are thick as planks and chose the brainless subjects. Not all women etc.

GatorBait

With a decrease in supply of "eligible" men for 30+, successful, educated women, you would think one of three things will result:

1) "Eligible" men become more in demand as they are lower in supply. This causes the norm of men pursuing women to reverse as a woman risks missing out on her preferred type of men if she isn't proactive.

2) Women lower their standards, and inadvertently we start to see some societal/dating norms erode. Examples being the man must make more money/have more status than the woman, be more educated, be taller, etc.

3) Women opt out of the dating/marriage pool entirely and single motherhood becomes more common.

Frankly, I have no idea which one is more likely to happen.

LosDaddie

Banned
My sister-in-law is in this situation. 32 years old, pretty, nice/thin body, educated with a job, lives on her own, but has never had a boyfriend. She claims to have commitment issues, and only chases after guys who are unavailable. She has a cold personality, and it's never been a surprise to me why she's stayed single in the decade+ I've known her. I mean, she's nice enough, sure, but comes off as cold.

I imagine her situation is not too dissimilar from most women in her situation

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
My wife and ex girlfriend are both 5 years younger. Which in my opinion is the sweet spot for age difference. Women are naturally a few years ahead in terms of maturity so it works out well.

I don't think women over 30 are screwed. But I just think that as any single person (woman or man) gets older, their standards/expectations need to adjust.

I find in Australia especially too many women AND men have fairly ridiculous and unrealistic expectations. In your 20s you can get away with it. But once you cross 30, you need to be more realistic.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am 31. I mostly date younger women. Most women my age I find are in a rush to move things along. I don't feel like talking about marriage and kids 10 minutes into a first date.

Not that I am opposed to dating someone in their 30s, but so far my experiences haven't been that great.

My sister-in-law is in this situation. 32 years old, pretty, nice/thin body, educated with a job, lives on her own, but has never had a boyfriend. She claims to have commitment issues, and only chases after guys who are unavailable. She has a cold personality, and it's never been a surprise to me why she's stayed single in the decade+ I've known her. I mean, she's nice enough, sure, but comes off as cold.

I imagine her situation is not too dissimilar from most women in her situation

No, I wouldn't say most early 30 women have borderline personality disorders and commitment issues. :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Huh...

Look, if I was able to select an age my partner, she'd definitely be in her 20s, but more around her mid 20s. Early 20s is way too young and I'm kinda surprised so many guys, regardless of age chose within that range.

This discussion seems to be part of a broader, larger narrative as to the role of dating in our society. Multiple failed relationships - as what being single in your thirties implies - doesn't necessarily mean you have unrecoverable personality flaws, but rather you cruised through your 20s with no thought to your relationship status in your 40s.

Coming from a conservative African/Muslim background, sex and romantic relationships were considered to be privileges for the married, and so I decided that, regardless of whether or not I would have romantic relations before saying "I do", I would want to look for that special girl whom I'd want to settle down with. So already, the attitude women in their 30's have about dating, I and all my past-GF had from our late-teens and early 20s.

Having the foresight and maturity to say that "I want to find someone that I can spend the rest of my life with", I think, allows you to lengthen and secure relationships. If you adopt that mentality by your late teens, then by the age of 25, you will hopefully be in that type of relationship. And if you're a woman, you should know when/if you want to get married or have your first child (if you want a family) in relation to your job or career.

These are the sort of things we have on our minds after 30 and they inform our decisions as to who we want to date. But why can't we do that in our 20s and avoid the panic and anxiety altogether?

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I've never understood of being in a relationship with no clear and distinct understanding of what our future would be like. For example, what's the point of long-term engagements? Why are people fiancés?fiancées for years? I have known couples who have been together for several years and are advocates of marriage, for example. "Have you thought about getting married?", and the answer is often "Yea, probably. One day." If you ask why that is, it's because they haven't really sat down and decided. Same thing with children, for instance. There are many couples who foresee having a family one day, but haven't really decided when (unrelated to finances).

I'm not suggesting lifelong commitments or children, or a mortgage ensures a successful relationship. Rather, reasons (or lack of) in pursuing those things seem to be traits for a relationship with an expiry date. But if you want any one of those aforementioned things, and you have not discussed them in depth with your partner, then what's the fucking point? You're obviously at some point going to bring it with a partner. Why not with this one?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Huh...

Look, if I was able to select an age my partner, she'd definitely be in her 20s, but more around her mid 20s. Early 20s is way too young and I'm kinda surprised so many guys, regardless of age chose within that range.

Wild guess, but I think it's probably because women in their early 20s tends to be more sexually attractive then older women, even those in late 20s?

trixx

Since I'm younger I can't speak on that age group but from my experience guys have it rough at around my age 21.

People say University is when you have all the sex and easy relationships.. lol. Fromm my experience and based on the school i go to, it's not true at all. I know a lot of guys who have never been in a relationship, never had sex, never been on a date, hell never even kissed a girl, graduating this year.

For a lot of dudes college is friend-zone hell, plus stressing and up tight, plus you're broke as sht. Eventually your time will come as this thread shows.

jmizzal

I never date females around my age, 30's but tried it last year before I met my GF now, and the female I dated who was the same age as me pretty much told me I dont fit what she is looking for based on my life even tho I was a good and nice guy and we should stop talking like out of the blue, first time a girl told me that lol.

That pretty much told me all I needed to know, no dating females in their 30s, after that I dated a couple other girls then found my now GF, who was 25 now 26 and its been great.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wild guess, but I think it's probably because women in their early 20s tends to be more sexually attractive then older women, even those in late 20s?

I guess I figured the prime age range guys would pick would be mid 20s. At least, that's the impression I had.

eggandI

Banned
Plenty of women in their 20s willing to date older guys. Otoh, I've known or seen extremely few younger guy/older woman couples in my area. My theory is that since looks fade fast for women once they hit the 3-0, a lot of men would rather date younger women who look better and won't pressure them into marriage/kids/etc.

LosDaddie

Banned
No, I wouldn't say most early 30 women have borderline personality disorders and commitment issues. :p

I guess i should've added that my in-laws/the environment she grew up in was/is ultra conservative. Limbaugh-loving, gay-hating type of conservatives. I think it did a number on all their children. My youngest sister-in-law (28yo) has never really had a "real" BF either....not one in at least 3yrs, and definitely never been in an adult/grown up relationship.

My 32yo sister-in-law is attractive enough to have guys approach her a good amount, but it never goes anywhere. And the guys she is interested in are never really into her (yet she wastes a ton of time pursuing them). Like I said, she just comes off "cold" to me, and I imagine these guys notice it too. The 28yo sister-in-law is a lot more fun to be around, but she went to bible college (LOL) in her early twenties (so my in-laws wouldn't pressure her to grow up) and became radicalized there. She's a lot hotter, but I imagine her religiosity is a barrier to dating.

Somehow my wife turned out pretty normal. She had BFs in HS and college, and then we met when she was 26yo and that was it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You maintain there are leagues when personal experience shows you there really aren't.

Blind indeed...

There are leagues. They just aren't 100% rigid. People shouldn't limit their options by thinking people are "out of their league." But they also shouldn't even further limit their options by being overly picky and insisting on "dating up" and only wanting people that most would find more attractive than them, who are more successful than them etc.

At the end of the day, most people end up with people fairly similar to them in looks, success, education levels etc. People should simply keep that in mind when they're at a point that they want to/need to (biological clock ticking) settle down and get married. But that doesn't mean start thinking people "out of your league" aren't worth pursuing. It's just time to stop ONLY pursuing those types and readjusting expectations if you're desperate to start a family etc.

Simply put, if you're an early 30s average or below average looking female who wants to have a family, you probably need to start looking for more than mister perfect who's tall, dark and handsome, a nice guy and making six figures. Don't give up on those types, but expand your search if having kids is that important to you.

Not wanting kids was a boon for me on that front, as well as being fairly independent. I never felt any pressure to settle or date below my league and was able to just date around until my early 30s when I found my fiance who meets my standards of hotness, high education level, successful career, atheist, not wanting kids etc.

If I'd wanted a family I'd have felt pressure to settle down sooner, even more so if I was a female and had the more serious biological clock issue to worry over.

Plenty of women in their 20s willing to date older guys. Otoh, I've known or seen extremely few younger guy/older woman couples in my area. My theory is that since looks fade fast for women once they hit the 3-0, a lot of men would rather date younger women who look better and won't pressure them into marriage/kids/etc.

Well it's also:

1. Women tend to be more mature than males, so they often don't want to date guys much younger. At least when you're talking say a 30-35 year old female having little to know intererst in guys more than 5 years younger than them.

2. There's the whole wanting a successful partner to have a second income to help support the family (or sole income if they want to be a stay at home mother) and fewer men in their 20s are for sure set/stable financially. Especially as more and more people are getting Master's degrees, doctorates, law degrees, medical school etc. and starting careers later.

Personally, I've gone both ways. My last serious girlfriend was 5 years older than me, started dating when I was 25 and she was 30. Dated for 6 years and only ended as she had to move away for work as she finished her doctorate 2 years before me and the long distance didn't work out. My finance is 5 years younger than me, met when I was 33 and she's 28. Relationship is the best I've ever had by a long shot. But I've always been pretty serious/mature relative to my same age male friends. After I hit 25 or so my general dating rule was just being fine with plus/minus five years.

kswiston

Huh...

I don't think the graph is suggesting that men of all ages want to date early 20 somethings. Just that women in that age range are the most attractive.

The graph for women suggest that older women find older men more attractive than those way younger.

But maybe the men are just being more honest. Who knows.

Yep. The more they age and being single, the more they tend to lower their standards in finding men.
This is absolutely true. I've had my fair share of dating around, and I find it genuinely easier to date older women in their 30's than those around my age and younger (I'm 25). It has often puzzled me, but I've since figured out it's mostly a matter of standards and such.

There are leagues. They just aren't 100% rigid. People shouldn't limit their options by thinking people are "out of their league." But they also shouldn't even further limit their options by being overly picky and insisting on "dating up" and only wanting people that most would find more attractive than them, who are more successful than them etc.

At the end of the day, most people end up with people fairly similar to them in looks, success, education levels etc. People should simply keep that in mind when they're at a point that they want to/need to (biological clock ticking) settle down and get married. But that doesn't mean start thinking people "out of your league" aren't worth pursuing. It's just time to stop ONLY pursuing those types and readjusting expectations if you're desperate to start a family etc.

Simply put, if you're an early 30s average or below average looking female who wants to have a family, you probably need to start looking for more than mister perfect who's tall, dark and handsome, a nice guy and making six figures. Don't give up on those types, but expand your search if having kids is that important to you.

Not wanting kids was a boon for me on that front, as well as being fairly independent. I never felt any pressure to settle or date below my league and was able to just date around until my early 30s when I found my fiance who meets my standards of hotness, high education level, successful career, atheist, not wanting kids etc.

If I'd wanted a family I'd have felt pressure to settle down sooner, even more so if I was a female and had the more serious biological clock issue to worry over.

Well it's also:

1. Women tend to be more mature than males, so they often don't want to date guys much younger. At least when you're talking say a 30-35 year old female having little to know intererst in guys more than 5 years younger than them.

2. There's the whole wanting a successful partner to have a second income to help support the family (or sole income if they want to be a stay at home mother) and fewer men in their 20s are for sure set/stable financially. Especially as more and more people are getting Master's degrees, doctorates, law degrees, medical school etc. and starting careers later.

Personally, I've gone both ways. My last serious girlfriend was 5 years older than me, started dating when I was 25 and she was 30. Dated for 6 years and only ended as she had to move away for work as she finished her doctorate 2 years before me and the long distance didn't work out. My finance is 5 years younger than me, met when I was 33 and she's 28. Relationship is the best I've ever had by a long shot. But I've always been pretty serious/mature relative to my same age male friends. After I hit 25 or so my general dating rule was just being fine with plus/minus five years.

My issue with leagues, especially with online dating, is that when I'm talking to a very attractive woman, and go out with one, like on Monday, which was amazing in every way btw, I'm sure she's online on those dating apps getting messages from a lot of better looking guys. This is why I don't like dating apps due to this fact. Then the talking, or at least the effort in texting more than one or two words, starts to happen.

Was going to go out with her again today, but she was exhausted from work. Even texted me 4:30am. Now it's postponed until Monday, which means a longer time to try and impress her.

My issue with leagues, especially with online dating, is that when I'm talking to a very attractive woman, and go out with one, like on Monday, which was amazing in every way btw, I'm sure she's online on those dating apps getting messages from a lot of better looking guys. This is why I don't like dating apps due to this fact. Then the talking, or at least the effort in texting more than one or two words, starts to happen.

Was going to go out with her again today, but she was exhausted from work. Even texted me 4:30am. Now it's postponed until Monday, which means a longer time to try and impress her.

Ha. If you're on Tinder or whatever, your messages pop up in a sea of 2000 other dudes, many of whom are much better looking than you are. I really do prefer in person meeting-up much more, where women can know me and my personality.

Jimrpg

Put an age range on younger becuse if "go out and have fun" is just bars and clubs older men don't want them.

Guys that are in their late 20s I think have a more difficult time getting interest in girls in their younger 20s. Just my observation though. The younger generation just relate better to people in their age group.

Jimrpg

Women are at a serious disadvantage regarding romantic relationships since time is less kind to them and it becomes difficult to ignore your biological clock when it starts blasting louder than a Monster Magnet concert. Then (and I think this is also hugely important) you have to deal with all the ugly shit that lands onto most people when you are in your 30's. Job, family and daily duties tend to suck the vitality of most folks by that age and change their personality towards stability, nullifying our more adventurous tendencies. This is just time doing its thing.

Your 30's are also an incredibly complicated time of your life. Most people are married by that time and probably even have one or several kids. Single and thirthysomething usually means that you are either divorced or had late a break-up. Both situations can mess you up pretty badly. The baggage is real. People require some time to adjust at an age bracket where most women start feeling like they can't stay put due to biological and societal pressures. If they want to have children (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that) they need to act with some diligence. Things can get even more troublesome for women if there are already kids involved, since many single men want none of that (let alone dealing with ex-husbands if we are talking about divorced persons) and women also happen to be the primary caregivers of young children, drastically reducing their spare time.

Then there's physical attractiveness. I personally know quite a few women in their 30's who easily outrank 99% of any potential competitors in their 20's, but there's no denying the female body requires some important maintenance that the male body doesn't due to hormonal and body composition differences. Your 30's are a bitch, too. Fat gets stored differently and the body becomes less firm. Significant exercising and a proper diet (at a time that is probably the most stressful of our lives) is a must if you want to stay competitively attractive. For every rep you do at the gym, she probably has to make two. Factors such as sunlight and excessive smoking compound, too, doing a real number on the face. And then you have all kinds of films, TV shows and magazines reinforcing the image of older men being more attractive/younger women falling for them. Which is an awesome boon for us, but not really fair for women past their 20's. I mean, my partner is considerably younger than me, but I still find the age disparity in Hollywood movie couples just plainly absurd.

With that said, most of what I said applies to building a relationship. If you just want a date, it doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman: your 30's will probably the best time of your life. You have some actual income, probably a place of your own and/or a car and life experience, which is the biggest draw there is. There are also a lot less taboos and fears regarding casual sex. For all the Millennial moral outrage in the press, nobody has it easier than single thirthysomethings on the prowl. Nobody.

I basically wasted most of 20's since I made my career my only priority. Dating during my early 30's was a revelation. I only wanted to meet women of my age at first since I thought those would be the ones I would find the most relatable, but a huge amount of them wanted to meet their life partner first and foremost. Children were also a huge concern. I lost the count of the times somebody would bring kids to the conversation as soon as during our second date, which was a complete turn off. I met some amazing single women during that time, but as someone without any particular romantic aims, the amount of incompatible partners in their 30's became troublesome, if not borderline concerning. So I decided to expand the age bracket, only to find that not only it was extremely easy for a man in his 30's to date girls 10 years their junior, but also that younger women had less expectations and a more carefree attitude that made dating much less stressful. Being able to date someone without the pressure of knowing that she had given herself a defined window to asses your quality as a person before deciding if you were "the one" was a huge relief. From that moment I found myself dating mostly younger women; not because that was my strict desire, but because things played out better that way.

As far as my experience goes, technically speaking women in their 30's have little issues dating men of their age and older. As a matter of fact, they have it easier than ever. But getting a date and building a relationship are massively different things, as many single men in their 30's don't have the same aims nor share the same pressures that women do. Biology and society allow men to extend their 20's for a good couple of decades, whereas women are not that lucky.

I agree with some of the things here, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of women over 30 are single mostly because they have become incredibly picky about who they are dating. Guys have become that way too but not as much as girls. They only want to date 9s and 10s and guys that are 7s and 8s don't even register, just like they see it in the media. I don't want to generalize this and I don't have anything to back up my claims other than my wife's 4 sisters all more or less disregarding guys until they fit their idea of a suitable match. I guess its good for them they hold out until they get their dream guy, but at the same time they are aware of their biological clock ticking so it always becomes a talking point about how there are no good guys around when all thats happened is they've increased their expectations. And one thing I will point out is that with many more women being further educated than say 20-30 years ago, that also has narrowed the pool of potential male candidates. Some girls just don't want to date somebody less smart or less educated.

I agree with some of the things here, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of women over 30 are single mostly because they have become incredibly picky about who they are dating. Guys have become that way too but not as much as girls. They only want to date 9s and 10s and guys that are 7s and 8s don't even register, just like they see it in the media. I don't want to generalize this and I don't have anything to back up my claims other than my wife's 4 sisters all more or less disregarding guys until they fit their idea of a suitable match. I guess its good for them they hold out until they get their dream guy, but at the same time they are aware of their biological clock ticking so it always becomes a talking point about how there are no good guys around when all thats happened is they've increased their expectations. And one thing I will point out is that with many more women being further educated than say 20-30 years ago, that also has narrowed the pool of potential male candidates. Some girls just don't want to date somebody less smart or less educated.
While I understand what you're getting at, I feel this has already been addressed by several posts. A lot of women start lowering their standards by the time they're a few years into their 30's, once they realize Hollywood and Disney aren't super reflective of real life circumstances. In my own experience as a 25-year-old, I have found that single 30-something women are generally easier to date than those in their early-to-mid 20's.

Az987

all good things
Im 29 and currently dating a 21 year old. I feel like if everything about me was the same only I were a woman I could get a 21 year old guy easy, no problems, but female version of me would be like gross and call me gross too probably.

You know what I mean?

Bleepey

I remember a joke a friend of mine told me, they said:
"When men get desperate, they lower their standards
When women get desperate, they raise theirs"

Some truth to it but not completely.

KUON.0101

I partially agree with this topic.

Me: 29, male, finishing up my MA and working part-time in recruitment. (Edit: I often feel that being a student is such a turn off for many women around 30...)

I recently had a date with a lady (37, no kids, career and own company). Was just too awkward. She still wanted to have kids someday...

Also my ex (28), was feeling the clock ticking. She would adore kids on the street, but doesn't want any yet or wasn't sure if she ever wanted. She also wanted to speed up the relationship (moving in together etc). But at the same time her career had priority over everything (even me). So I guess in couple of years she might start to be desperate? Or find it harder to find a good "candidate" ..

Currently just enjoying the free life. Dating this 25 year old girl. No pressure, just enjoying time together without any big expectations.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind screwing 30+ chicks.

And that's part of the problem for single 30 year old females. Most are getting anxious to find a successful man who they think would be a good father to settle down with as they're done dating/screwing around. While a lot of mid 20s to mid 30s males are still enjoying dating/sleeping around, while a lot that wanted to settle down and start families already have.

Ha. If you're on Tinder or whatever, your messages pop up in a sea of 2000 other dudes, many of whom are much better looking than you are. I really do prefer in person meeting-up much more, where women can know me and my personality.

Well, we texted Monday afternoon, decided to meet Wednesday (postponed till Monday), but we spontaneously had an idea to go to a late night movie showing at 10pm. Theatre was empty except for a couple of girls behind us, but we hit it off quick. We were very comfortable with each other. After the movie, were in the parking lot for about close to an hour. We kissed a few times, holding each other, she was constantly talking about how great my body is, and I look like a GQ model. Also said we needed to find a superman shirt . She was fixing my collar, had her hands in my pockets. Even told me later in a text she wanted me to come over for some wine, but it was already late. Also in the text, she said as I walked away she couldn't stop looking at my butt, and apologized for rubbing against me.

So everything was right that night. But as I said, she's online in POF most likely getting messages from better looking men than me, and the connection may quickly disappear.

The women in my group who are single (all 30+) have been having an easier go at finding dates than the single guys in my group, but I think lots of things are factoring into this (some live with their parents, some have kids, no car, etc.) The ladies are also not looking to settle down though, the guys definitely are, so that might be making it easier.

Llyranor

she was constantly talking about how great my body is, and I look like a GQ model. Also said we needed to find a superman shirt
[...]
she's online in POF most likely getting messages from better looking men than me, and the connection may quickly disappear.
You're going to sabotage yourself if you let those thoughts get the better of you. Forget about the imaginary better-looking guys.

You're going to sabotage yourself if you let those thoughts get the better of you. Forget about the imaginary better-looking guys.

Hey, I know I haven't been in the dating thread in awhile, and although you guys gave me good advice, I hated you guys at the same time, so I stopped posting. Very good decision I did that. I've improved a lot, I put the phone down, no more over analyzing or over thinking about every little detail.

I'll stay positive on this girl, but if things fizzle, I won't get mopey, since I have other women lined up.

And that's part of the problem for single 30 year old females. Most are getting anxious to find a successful man who they think would be a good father to settle down with as they're done dating/screwing around. While a lot of mid 20s to mid 30s males are still enjoying dating/sleeping around, while a lot that wanted to settle down and start families already have.
My post was mostly tongue in cheek, but there are plenty of older women interested in casual dating, and otherwise. Despite making men and women a little too picky, I do think the Internet makes it easier to find a better match.

My post was mostly tongue in cheek, but there are plenty of older women interested in casual dating, and otherwise. I think with how ubiquitous the Internet it has easier to find exactly what you're looking for. Now, I do think Internet dating has made men and women a little too picky.

Moreso women imo, by virtue of them having a vastly higher number of options presented to them in nearly every scenario. The difference can be mind-boggling, and even an average looking female gets more attention than the very best looking guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom