• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Sony and Microsoft resetting the clock for this gen with PS4 Pro and Scorpio?

Everyone has their own definition to what resetting a gen is.

From what it looks like, it's very likely they will release a new console in between 2-3 years.

I'd say if the next iterations come after 2-3 years, the xbox one and ps4 will be cut off and the scorpio and pro will remain supported.

I think MS will have BC on all of their games with the xbox one as a starting base to the system beyond the scorpio given by what they said. They also have some 360 games running but not all.

Not sure what sony is planning but it would look pretty bad if MS did allow the scorpio's successor to play xbox one disks and sony didn't let the ps5 or whatever play ps4 disks. I think this comes down to how well they are doing by then and how the consumers react.

Another thing to keep in mind is how much sony wants to push their streaming services. If they favor streaming older games over true BC, that would be another thing to consider.

Not sure what sony is planning but it would look pretty bad if MS did allow the scorpio's successor to play xbox one disks and sony didn't let the ps5 or whatever play ps4 disks. I think this comes down to how well they are doing by then and how the consumers react.

PS5 will be fully backwards compatible -- it's part of the reason they selected the architecture they did.

I'm sure PS4 would have been backwards compatible if it wasn't for the CELL making it practically impossible.

Peltz

No way. These consoles will not be powerful enough to last another 5 years. I'd say they are going to have a life of 2-3 years tops.

No. Sony's been pretty clear about where the PS4 Pro stands; it's a more powerful PS4. That's it.

As far as Microsoft goes, even if they wanted to reset the generation (which, who knows at this point), I don't see how they could. I don't think the Scorpio (or the PS4 Pro for that matter) will be flying off the shelves at release. It would be totally nonviable to make exclusive games for it (VR games notwithstanding). What about the 20+ million OG Xbone owners? They wouldn't drop that install base, not to mention the PS4's (in regards to 3rd parties). I just can't see it, maybe not until years later and IF it sells well enough.

DrkSage

You misunderstand. They're not trying to win the PC gamer. That's not what was said by House. They're trying to keep the people who may move from console to PC to stay in the console system.

As far as "customers feeling fatigued", do customers feel fatigued when a new iPhone is released every year? The record sales tell me they aren't. And even if some of them are, just like the iPhone the ps4 will still be supported for at least a normal console generation.

I don't get the iPhone (or any phone) to console comparison. Imo they're two different things.

It seems like a lot of people aren't noticing the difference in messaging around the PS4 Pro and the Scorpio. The Scorpio is straight up the next Xbox, like the Xbox is to the 360 and the 360 is to One. The only difference here is that games will cross over and their's probably going to be perfect backwards compatibility. The PS4 Pro is similar to the New 3DS but with more commitment behind it. Sony will more than likely still release a PS5 in a few years and the Pro is just to "enhance" games.

The big takeaway here is that Sony doesn't want to change the game but Microsoft does. I could see the two separate approaches coexisting, but I could also see Sony moving more towards Microsoft's strategy if it's successful.

I'd be happy with a late 2018/(very) early 2019 release for the PS5. I really hope it's not massively later than that. I guess it also depends on how well the Pro and Scorpio perform sales wise, both in general and compared to one another.

jdmonmou

You misunderstand. They're not trying to win the PC gamer. That's not what was said by House. They're trying to keep the people who may move from console to PC to stay in the console system.

As far as "customers feeling fatigued", do customers feel fatigued when a new iPhone is released every year? The record sales tell me they aren't. And even if some of them are, just like the iPhone the ps4 will still be supported for at least a normal console generation.
But Sony will never be able to compete in terms of power with PC. The Pro isn't even competitive in terms of price with the PC if you don't yet have a 4K TV. This is why Sony should double down on increasing their exclusive gaming content and perhaps adding more benefits to a PS Plus subscription (e.g. Adding a PS Now subscription as a benefit). These are more effective ways of keeping people engaged with the platform and PC gamers will pick up a PS4 to complement their gaming rig. Exclusive content is what helped the PS3 pull even with the 360 last gen.

And iPhone sales are declining because people are holding onto their phones for much longer as cell phone providers move away from subsidized phone contracts. Also, most people are still pretty happy with their older models. If Sony adopts a similar release strategy it will be harder for them to sell each new console release if there is minimal difference between the old and new.

Caffeine

It's a plan to lengthen the gen by a year or 2. they probably want to push another 7 year gen and this is how you convey it. I fully expect nextbox and ps5 November 2020. Before scorpio and pro were conceptualized I assumed this gen would have ended in 2018.

N.Domixis

Banned
Remember, Next gen doesn't start unless Sony says so. And based on the Psm meeting pspro isn't next gen.

This is the reason ms can't call Scorpio next gen. They are waiting on Sony to confirm when the next gen starts.

It all makes sense now.

Your old games will no doubt be playable on future PlayStations and Xboxes, I don't doubt that, that isn't what they are doing. Microsoft especially have talked about not leaving anyone behind, every Scorpio game will just be a souped up Xbox One game, the same as it is for the PS Pro.

Ehh, they'll obviously leave original XOne owners behind eventually. I'd bet on whatever comes after Scorpio to do so. Hopefully Sony does the same, with whatever comes after the Pro leaving original PS4 behind but still being backwards compatable.

Lol at whoever think that Sony is going to release PS5 before 2020...... Sony has moved to 7 years cycle long time ago for many obvious reasons, PS4 Pro is just going to refresh this gen till the next one arrives for sony..... Plus they needed the Pro for pushing the 4K plus a much better PSvr experience which they are also trying to push and depends on.

Sony is just extending this generation for them with a mid gen refresh/power increase such as the new 3DS.

Microsoft Scorpio is a new gen I think. They are no strangers to release a console quickly (original Xbox to 360 would be same length as One to Scorpio).

Nintendo is just being Nintendo.

Mentok

Banned
Both companies admitted last gen was too long for their liking, so no I don't see this as a reset. These are incremental updates for this gen.

Lol at whoever think that Sony is going to release PS5 before 2020...... Sony has moved to 7 years cycle long time ago for many obvious reasons, PS4 Pro is just going to refresh this gen till the next one arrives for sony..... Plus they needed the Pro for pushing the 4K plus a much better PSvr experience which they are also trying to push and depends on.

I'd bet on 2020 for the next console, I could see 2019, though.

Markoman

No, PS5 in late 2018 early 2019 is quite possible, depending on how Scorpio performs.
None of the PS4 Pro and Scorpio buyers will own the most powerful console for longer than a year or two.

Ushay

Hardware increases are starting to see the effects of dimimishing returns, this cycle will last much longer than most realise. And I'm perfectly happy with that as long as we get the choice to upgrade hardware

heidern

My prediction would be that PS5 games in 3 years would be would be compatible with both PS4 and PS4 Pro. However in 6 years when PS5 pro is released base PS4 will no longer be supported.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We have no way of knowing really. Any messaging by Sony/MS will not make their future intent clear, it will be focused on selling what they currently have.

Based on the specs we heard about scorpio:

WHY does people consider that a midgen refresh?

Because isent that a bigger jump from xbone compared to 360-xbone techwise? I rather see it as a new gen with BC, nothing more nothing less

From 900p to 4k yep new gen

Because supporting the original Xbox One is a requirement for all Scorpio games for the foreseeable future. It is therefore, by definition, not a new generation of consoles.

Verendus

Banned
Nintendo is beginning a new generation next year. Looks to me like Sony and Microsoft continue to lag behind. They'll play catch up in a couple years while the real innovators lead the way into the future.

Undead

The problem I have with the whole forward compatible thing is that when moving to a new gen/hardware, games often get held back to compensate for previous gen hardware and it's not until they drop the previous gen support that these games truly start to look better.

Now if there were a way to guarantee that devs wouldn't just go for the lowest common denominator and actually put effort into making the "newer" console versions look and play better with all the bells and whistles, it wouldn't be so bad but dev history with moving gens tells us this is unlikely to happen.

People put WAY too much into what the PS4 Pro really is. It just occupies the high end spot that would typically be taken by a PS4 only with a larger hard drive. The only thing Sony did was to give the consumer a much better value at $399 this generation. For example, its counterpart on the Microsoft side at $399 is just a 2TB Xbox One S. Nobody would say that console would hold back a new generation.

As for Microsoft and Scorpio, things get a little bit more murky. It does have a significant spec boost. As a result it is also going to cost more. $399 looks to be the high end sweet spot for console, and it will be quite a while before the Scorpio gets down to that price point. Speaking strictly on price, Microsoft wouldn't have any room to introduce another console for quite some time.

On the other hand, since the 9th console generation will get a rolling start with games developed to run directly on the Scorpio and Xbox Two at the same time, Microsoft might be perfectly fine releasing a high cost, super high end console. At that point a $399 Scorpio would pull the heavy duty by getting the mass audience leaving the Xbox Two to chase after the Power at Any Cost crowd. If fact I suspect that Scorpio will use exactly that strategy next holiday season for its release.

Base PS4 will be supported as long as Pro is being supported... They are THE SAME console.

Those are my thoughts as well. Seems like buying the Pro would be the equivalent of buying a slim model in terms of support. It's an optional replacement but it shouldn't be supported with games for any longer than the original model.

For Sony I think it might push the clock back a little but they are still counting the Pro as PS4, so maybe only a year or two more at the most.

Not so sure about Scorpio though. PS4 Pro is a nice little upgrade over PS4 but Scorpio is a much bigger jump over Xbox One and while Microsoft are saying the same thing as Sony right now, I think in a years time they might make a decision to make Scorpio the next gen Xbox instead of just an upgrade.

Generations as we knew them are probably over, incremental improvements is all we'll be seeing from now on. The PS5 and whatever will come when it can be used for marketing purposes like when the gap in performance is too wide for developers to reasonably scale their games down to run acceptably on the PS4. The only thing that could shake things up is some new technology that results in a massive gain in performance but barring that we're x86/64 and AMD from here on out unless AMD goes out of business.

On the bright side backwards compatibility is probably here to stay and I could still see the PS4P eventually being considered a "minimum requirement" around the time of what could be the PS5's release. Scorpio is a bigger jump from the XBO and I could definitely see it eventually having games that run on it and not the XBO a couple years after release.

Cuburt

The reason they are doing this is to get those mobile refresh sales.

2 year refreshes are still not out of the question.

OP thinks they wouldn't do it due to retail confusion, but they are already doing it with the Pro.

Watch what happens when someone makes the first move in 2 years and everyone else follows.

Short of an XboxOne always-online type of backlash, this is the new status quo despite all the damage control they may do about forwards compatibility. Eventually games will start being made that "can't run" on the vanilla versions and suddenly Sony and Microsoft will throw up their hands as AAA development moves to the next platform and leaves the old behind.

Peterc

Nah I fully expect a PS5 and Xbox Two, in 3 years. These consoles are just midgen refresh (for example: N3DS), the clock still continues at least in my opinion. Although, Scorpion might change things.

Yeah and have a console that maybe is 0.5x more powerful than ps4pro or scorpio.

Games are way to expensive and Sony his solution is just to extend lifetime by bringing the ps4 pro. Don't think there will be a next xbox. I don't say MS will quit with
making platforms. But i believe tthat they will go 3rd party and maybe releasing a pc/tvbox instead.

Given how important PlayStation has become for Sony, I have no doubt that we'll see a steady flow of new SKUs on a regular base. The PS4 Pro successor, be it the PS5 or "just" another PS4 SKU, will arrive no later than holiday 2019. They have to keep this train running.

Unless MS comes up with exclusive non-VR game for Scorpio, I refuse to call it a new generation. It plays XBOX One games. Just enhanced. Exactly the same thing the PS4 Pro does.

There are no more generations guys. Only an ecosystem now, with support for x consoles backward based on performance/time. There will eventually be multiple methods of accessing each ecosystem.

No more "x year cycles then reset" shit - for nobody.

Journey

Banned
No one should ever get the idea that the PS5 was coming in 2018 with or without the pro, it would be 2020, 2019 at the earliest and only if they broke their own established 7 year cycle which began with the PS4, but even if they stuck with the usual 6, it's still 2019. Where are people getting 2018 from?

PS1 -1994
PS2 -2000
PS3 -2006
PS4 -2013
PS5 -2020+

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There are no more generations guys. Only an ecosystem now, with support for x consoles backward based on performance/time. There will eventually be multiple methods of accessing each ecosystem.

No more "x year cycles then reset" shit - for nobody.

We don't know, but this is my guess too. They're going iOS

AmyS

Nope.

I fully expect PS5 and Xbox Two (or whatever) to be released no later than right around the time of the U.S. general election, after this upcoming one, when our next President is up for re-election..

November 2020 at the latest.

ChomeurDeFrance

Neo Member
No one should ever get the idea that the PS5 was coming in 2018 with or without the pro, it would be 2020, 2019 at the earliest and only if they broke their own established 7 year cycle which began with the PS4, but even if they stuck with the usual 6, it's still 2019. Where are people getting 2018 from?

PS1 -1994
PS2 -2000
PS3 -2006
PS4 -2013
PS5 -2020+

I think, the PS5 release is for really soon.
We are not in the same situation than PS3/Xbox 360, when Microsoft and Sony lost 200$ by console. (That explain why the last generation was so long).
Since the launch of this generation, Sony and Microsoft earned money, the PS4 and Xbox One are not sold at loss.
I'm pretty sure, the new Playstation will coming in two years.

Journey

Banned
We are not in the same situation than PS3/Xbox 360, when Microsoft and Sony lost 200$ by console. (That explain why the last generation was so long).
Since the launch of this generation, Sony and Microsoft earned money, the PS4 and Xbox One are not sold at loss.

Again, even if they went back to the 6 year cycle, It would mean 2019 for PS5, this is while completely ignoring Pro. 2020 for PS5 at the earliest.

It's clear that Pro is to relieve the wait for people who typically jump to PC.

2013 PS4 - 2016 refresh - 2019 another refresh or wait until 2020 or 2021 for a true generational leap.

baconcow

PS4 Pro is a refresh, Scorpio is the next iteration of the Xbox. If the Scorpio succeeds, there will be no Xbox Two; just more iterations in the nature of the Xbox brand in the vein of the Scorpio iteration. Microsoft is more apt to treat Xbox iterations like lower-priced PCs, to run alongside Windows gaming.

AmyS

PS4 Pro is a refresh, Scorpio is the next iteration of the Xbox. If the Scorpio succeeds, there will be no Xbox Two; just more iterations in the nature of the Xbox brand in the vein of the Scorpio iteration. Microsoft is more apt to treat Xbox iterations like lower-priced PCs, to run alongside Windows gaming.

Regardless of Scorpio being the next generation of Xbox, or just a stronger mid-gen upgrade than PS4 Pro, the next Xbox after Scorpio, whatever it's named, will be going up against PS5 directly, in ~4 years or so.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

House already said no 12 to 24 month transitions. We're not getting hardware on that level. They are only going to sell hardware they can easily recoup losses from to begin with, and there are no process node shrinks to take advantage of anytime soon to circumvent that.

Y'know I was kind of anxious about the PS4 pro going in, but the reveal didn't really make it seem that much beefier. Not in a meaningful way, anyway. It seems to be less the difference between "runs super good" and "runs shitty" and more the difference between "default settings" and "ultra high settings."

Meanwhile the Scorpio is... amorphous still. Depending on what it is, and how successful it is, Sony will probably make their next move. So we'll see~

Jingo

I think the most amazing thing we have is technology, i mean i dont know anything else that improves so much so quick as technology, if health treatments were in the same path, we were much better

There will be no more "generations" going forward in the traditional sense. I expect forward compatibility from now on on both of the HD twins.

Yeah they are settling in for another lengthy generation, only this time providing some 'half time' hardware to make it less painful. I doubt we will see any true next gen consoles until at least 2020.

The PS5 is going to need to be about 12TF or so to be a significant boost over Scorpio. They aren't doing that on current tech (node process).

I think they will have to wait until AMD get's down to 7nm before they can make another big jump.

Eh, who cares about doubling the TFLOPS when the real upgrade will be the CPU.

It's funny reading all these people calling the Scorpio a "real next gen system" when it'll almost certainly be using the same old jank CPU the PS4, Xbone and Pro are.

Of course they are doing both, but whatever resources Sony is spending on developing the Pro could've been used to develop one or two more 1st party exclusives. Exclusive content is a more compelling reason than marginally better hardware for people to buy your console. It's not an effective use of resources by Sony and their first party exclusive lineup has steadily declined over the years.

What? No. That's not how companies work and it's not how game development works.

Top Bottom