• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Huh, well that explains that. Wonder if that's why we picked that pair and I just forgot.

I am now imagining how my past runs would have gone had I thought I could only pump a stat once through talents. Outlook? Seems grim. Respect to any of you who beat campaigns like that.

dsfdf but we don't play any Talents in our core team (Roland, Daisy, Agnes). Then again props to ANYONE who's doing a playthrough with Wendy on the team.

I think Wendy is the only character me and my friend have yet to use from the core set. Once I used Agnes I don't think I could ever look back.

NZNova

I've been playing Daisy in our group's campaign but Rex is even better because of his character ability.

Daisy + Higher Education + a buttload of tomes and the ally that generates resources when you investigate (I forget the name) = cruising. There are other characters who can be the meat shields against the monsters :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've been playing Daisy in our group's campaign but Rex is even better because of his character ability.

Daisy + Higher Education + a buttload of tomes and the ally that generates resources when you investigate (I forget the name) = cruising. There are other characters who can be the meat shields against the monsters :D

That's what's so interesting is that there are really no "great" decks in the abstract because it all depends so much on player count, team, and construction of other decks. I guess it's sort of like having your own campaign-specific meta. :) I'd have to say we could barely do anything without Daisy and her Book of Lore and Encyclopedia because we pack no card draw or Talents in our mains.

I need to make more time to play this. I have the core set and the first two POD, my friend has core + all the dunwich stuff. We've done one full play of the core campaign and I've played a couple of the dunwich with him, I think he's done more solo. I've also played a bit of the core campaign solo/single hand.

It's a great game and the mechanics seem very flexible for differentiating the scenarios from each other. Play time is very welcome too, as most of the other games in my collection are quite long.

What's been everyone's favorite scenarios thus far? The POD expansion The Carnevale of Horrors was my favorite, but The Midnight Masks is the one we've replayed the most, trying to find all the cultists.

What's been everyone's favorite scenarios thus far? The POD expansion The Carnevale of Horrors was my favorite, but The Midnight Masks is the one we've replayed the most, trying to find all the cultists.

I haven't had a chance to play through any of the stand alone scenarios (I would certainly be interested in hearing any impressions of them to see if they are worth picking up), but out of Zealot and Dunwich I found House Always Wins and Essex Country Express to be real strong scenarios. House because it is cool and thematic and reinvents itself halfway through, and Express because it is a high stress knife fight in an elevator.

XShagrath

I need to go back and replay the PODs. I've only played Rougarou once (and enjoyed that a lot), and had a horrible failure in Carnevale.

As for my favorites so far, I enjoy House Always Wins for being extremely thematic and changing things up from the way they were presented in the core set. I may be biased, as it was my first Dunwich scenario though. I also like Midnight Masks a lot. That time pressure is immense, and the "oh shit" moment you get the first time you play it is fantastic.

There's not really a scenario yet that I haven't enjoyed. I guess Essex Express was the most disappointing so far. It ended up being a cake walk for us. The linearity of it was a little off-putting. I had hoped to be able to
climb on top of the cars and fight nightgaunts[/url] or something similar. I still see how it can be a very tense scenario if things don't go your way. We just got very lucky.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Yeah haha...Midnight Masks is the one that keeps us coming back to the base campaign just because it's such an interesting challenge and quite variable depending on the order the cultists come out, etc. so I'd probably have to include that.

We actually loved Carnevale of Horrors from a storytelling+mechanics perspective. The end sequence is just amazing and you as a player legitimately do feel exhausted by that point so it's just such a perfect finale for your survival. Only knocks I would have on it are that it's SUPER long, at least in our experience, and rather fiddly if you play with Scrying because there's so many ways you can game out things based on what the mythos cards do to you. It's also crazy hard so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't feel like they're playing great decks.

House Always Wins was also a ton of fun for theme reasons, and just looking through the packs I think Miskatonic Museum was pretty cool because of the possible rewards and some of the Monster mechanics iirc.

The rest have honestly been on the "really good+" level across the board, often for different reasons which is even better. Essex Express is the one I feel most conflicted on because I had such high expectations for it, and it is actually pretty cool mechanically, but almost feels too simplistic compared to the other ones? I don't mind variance at all, but the variance on that one is crazy high depending on the train cards you draw and where they fall, and given the relative simplicity of the mechanics in that scenario there aren't really a lot of outs other than just crossing your fingers and hoping you can blitz through each car (Shagrath's idea to be able to escape to the roof or w/e is a cool one and exactly the type of mechanic I think the scenario is missing). I'd still happily play it again any time though. :)

Edit: Oh, on Rougarou --
This one was really disappointing to us. When we went for the Rougarou kill we found it super easy (to be fair our Roland is a beast when it comes to standard combat), so then we replayed it and went for what we thought was the harder Rougarou-capture method and the rewards stunk. Maybe it's OK as a standalone but in the context of a side quest we found it kind of a waste of time in terms of rewards, and not really individually fun enough to make it worthwhile. So I guess that's actually my least favorite.

lordxar

Ahh just came across this thread. I bought a couple cores some time back and did solo play before giving one to a friend for him and his gf to play too. So we've played a handful of times and butchered the rules...but we've gotten a lot better! Usually I can only get them for a couple hours every few weeks so were still on the first scenario. If memory serves we are using Roland, Skids, and Daisy I think but once that red bitch ghoul priest comes out we pretty much fold into puddles of blood. The last run had that red fucker, another ghoul and a couple rats...the cards were not kind at all.

It's pretty fun though. Last game we headed up in the attic first and cleared it but drew a ghoul in the cellar. So I went into the hall and chucked some dynamite down and rattled the shit out of the ghoul followed by charging down with my pistol on the next round lol. Good stuff!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Man what a great game this is. I have played the core campaign a few times now and still love it. Just played Agnes solo and she has been my favorite by far.

Big One

Banned
Man what a great game this is. I have played the core campaign a few times now and still love it. Just played Agnes solo and she has been my favorite by far.
Yeah I've probably played the entire first campaign so so many times and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Even if I feel like I'm able to clear it with ease due to playing it so much, as soon as I try it on a higher difficulty and get killed on the first scenario it's like...FUCK THAT. It's great. Playing the same scenarios on different difficulties makes the entire experience different surprisingly.

XShagrath

CoolStuff put up the pre-orders for the last mythos pack today. I went ahead and put in my order, so I wouldn't have to stress about not getting it on release.

I tried my hand at a solo Agnes run through NotZ today. I ended up beating The Gathering by the skin of my teeth with only one health remaining. Moving on the Midnight Masks, I pretty much made no progress. I'll chalk it up to just not being good at true solo. I just have to spread my deck too thin to cover all my bases. I think I'll tweak that Agnes deck and throw together a Daisy and see how they fare in a two-handed solo run.

I've had fun with Agnes solo. I find the mystic class to one of the most versatile so solo suits them quite well, especially as the game goes on and their are more and more ways to counter the horror overload that a lot of their abilities cause.

How do you play the game solo? It seems much more mechanical and prone to a clinical "this is my best option," which lacks the fun of role-playing with a partner or three.

Is that just part of the solo-charm, or am I underestimating what solo entails? (I tried to play solo twice, but stopped after a couple rounds.

XShagrath

How do you play the game solo? It seems much more mechanical and prone to a clinical "this is my best option," which lacks the fun of role-playing with a partner or three.

Is that just part of the solo-charm, or am I underestimating what solo entails? (I tried to play solo twice, but stopped after a couple rounds.

The first scenario is very linear (to be treated like a tutorial, almost). For the first couple of rounds, there probably aren't many heavy decisions to make. Get some assets out in order to prepare for the rest of the scenario, and clear out the clues in the first room.

The second scenario (and everything after it) really open up the decision making. There's a lot of variability in the order that things might happen, and you might have to change up your plans quite a bit. The Dunwich cycle amps this up even more, and most scenarios have multiple paths to "victory."

Ryuukan

I finally tried my first scenario last night, a double core Roland solo deck for night of the zealot. I played on easy because I'm bad and even then the game is scary and hard. I don't even want to draw cards from my own deck because of the weaknesses
got boned out of using my dodge on the ghoul priest spawn attack because of paranoia draw right before it

I guess I made it through ok since at resolution
I got Lita and 6 exp
and only had 1 damage and 1 horror on my card. Playing at higher difficulties seems nuts since every skill test is so stacked against you. I can't imagine going through 8 scenarios in dunwich with the same character and not dying.

Played the board game version of this with some friends a couple of years ago. Had no idea what to expect, and was blown away. Too bad we only played it once, but its such a time sink. Took us 6 hours to finish it.

Definitely want to step up some game night again to play it once more.

Best wishes.

zulux21

Played the board game version of this with some friends a couple of years ago. Had no idea what to expect, and was blown away. Too bad we only played it once, but its such a time sink. Took us 6 hours to finish it.

Best wishes.

did you play this or the board game.

because that sounds way more like the board game instead of the card game.

Big One

Banned
How much replay value comes from the core set alone?
Not a whole lot tbh. You really need a second core set to get things going and make things more interesting. Four core sets if you want to get together with two other players (but imo the best is played solo or with two).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Really digging this. The Bayeu sidestory was really fun.

Ryuukan

ohhh no wonder I thought it was so hard, I screwed up the rules

I moved to act 3 and spawned the ghoul priest at the end of my investigation phase instead of the end of the round and gave him an extra enemy phase to attack me right away

oops 🙏

XShagrath

So why is this not in stock on amazon??
FFG did not anticipate the game being as hot as it has been. They printed their first major print run in October, and have probably done five smaller print runs since then. When working with factories in China, it's not uncommon to have to book time six months in advance. So, these smaller print runs have been fit in either by cancellations, or by some buffer time built in from the factories for special prints.

The most recent print run went into stores last week, and has already sold out. I'm not sure if Amazon got any, or if it was just through FLGS channels. I'd imagine that core sets should start to be pretty plentiful around the time Carcosa comes out (purely speculation), which should be around August/September. There will probably be several small prints/shipments between now and then though.

Keep an eye on this thread, and either I or someone else will probably post up if we see if it in stock somewhere.

zulux21

need some rules help.

playing with the character with spells for the first time.

how exactly does the event blinding light work?

do you take an attack while playing it while engaged with a monster to play it and then evade like it says.

do you need to play it before hand even though the events say resolve the cards then discard them?

can you cast it to evade without taking an attack?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
need some rules help.

playing with the character with spells for the first time.

how exactly does the event blinding light work?

do you take an attack while playing it while engaged with a monster to play it and then evade like it says.

do you need to play it before hand even though the events say resolve the cards then discard them?

can you cast it to evade without taking an attack?

Per FAQ you do not take an AOU:
If I play an event with a Fight ability, like Backstab (Core 51), does it provoke
attacks of opportunity?
No. Abilities with a bold action designator (like Fight, Evade or
Investigate) count as an action of that type. In this case, since Backstab
counts as a Fight action, no attacks of opportunity are made, because Fight
actions do not provoke attacks of opportunity. The same goes for Fight
abilities on assets, like .45 Automatic (Core 16)
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...2-4493-8948-56ae6cc913fe/ahc01_faqv10_web.pdf

Zunja

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I want to play with more than 2 people but really don't like buying two core sets. If I get the base and an xpac like Dunwich can I add other players? We are just casual fun players so we don't really care a ton about the deckbuilding part.

zulux21

I think I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I want to play with more than 2 people but really don't like buying two core sets. If I get the base and an xpac like Dunwich can I add other players? We are just casual fun players so we don't really care a ton about the deckbuilding part.

I don't think you will be able to without seriously handicapping yourself.

heck you can only play certain characters together with a base set (with the recommended decks at least), they don't even give you enough cards to let you pick and choose two of the base adventures together.

granted I am finding some of their choices for the recommended deck questionable.
why should I waste slots in my character deck for weapons when my character can't attack (aka has an attack value of 1) >.>

FFG did not anticipate the game being as hot as it has been. They printed their first major print run in October, and have probably done five smaller print runs since then. When working with factories in China, it's not uncommon to have to book time six months in advance. So, these smaller print runs have been fit in either by cancellations, or by some buffer time built in from the factories for special prints.

The most recent print run went into stores last week, and has already sold out. I'm not sure if Amazon got any, or if it was just through FLGS channels. I'd imagine that core sets should start to be pretty plentiful around the time Carcosa comes out (purely speculation), which should be around August/September. There will probably be several small prints/shipments between now and then though.

Keep an eye on this thread, and either I or someone else will probably post up if we see if it in stock somewhere.

Yeah I've been trying to get a core set for months at MSRP at my FLGS's and on Friday this week did my usual call around and finnaly was able to put one on hold.

What is the likelihood that Carcosa is going to be out right after the Dunwich ending? If we assume that June will be Doom Awaits and July is gonna release Time and Space, will the next campaign start in August or do FFG take a month or two off between cycles?

XShagrath

What is the likelihood that Carcosa is going to be out right after the Dunwich ending? If we assume that June will be Doom Awaits and July is gonna release Time and Space, will the next campaign start in August or do FFG take a month or two off between cycles?

I would put money on Carcosa showing up at Gencon as a limited release with it showing up through the normal chains within two months.

XShagrath

Wouldn't be surprised to maybe see another POD scenario between cycles.
There is a new POD at GenCon this year, but that probably won't be able to be ordered until later this year.

I haven't kept up with LCGs in a few years, but it will probably mirror the delay for LOTR.

sneaky77

My FLGS has both Mythos pack with a June date on their system

Admittedly I've made it a point to avoid LCGs in the past, but I might need to look into this one. I love Arkham and Eldritch Horror, but it's really, really hard to get an interested group of people to sit down long enough to play through either of them.

XShagrath

Looking at past LOTR scenarios from GenCon, it seems like they show up for purchase through the regular POD channels around Halloween (give or take a week).

Not much is known about the Arkham stand-alone yet, other than it is called "The Labyrinths of Lunacy," and it will be a 12 person scenario! There have been 12 person scenarios in LOTR, but it basically works as three groups of four players playing mostly on their own, but with certain decisions made affecting the overall game at key points. I'll take a guess and say this can be played as a normal 1-4 person game without any real issues, although you may need to just choose a certain sub-resolution when you get to certain points (almost like an interlude in Dunwich).

Keasar

Best wishes.

You did not play this game then I can safely say. :p

The only thing they share is the name and setting. The card game is a very much different (and shorter) game than the board game of Arkham Horror.

Not a whole lot tbh. You really need a second core set to get things going and make things more interesting. Four core sets if you want to get together with two other players (but imo the best is played solo or with two).

heck you can only play certain characters together with a base set (with the recommended decks at least), they don't even give you enough cards to let you pick and choose two of the base adventures together.
Damn, everytime I'm almost sure about buying it, there's something that scares me off xD
Is it playable with the core set and the deluxe exp? I mean, re-playable

doyoueven

Neo Member
Can anyone explain to me why some cards are subtly reprinted in certain sets/ packs? Can't remember off the top of my head but I think that Peter Sylvester ally card and the shrinking card I have seen in different forms... strange

XShagrath

Can anyone explain to me why some cards are subtly reprinted in certain sets/ packs? Can't remember off the top of my head but I think that Peter Sylvester ally card and the shrinking card I have seen in different forms... strange
Those cards are not reprinted, but are different leveled up versions.

02033.png
02035.png

The one on the right costs 2XP, and gives you a +1 to willpower, and also has an extra sanity.

The only cards that have been reprinted without changing their text are the signature investigator cards from the core set. Those have been altered slightly to not be presented as 0XP cards. Nothing about their text has changed though.

zulux21

Damn, everytime I'm almost sure about buying it, there's something that scares me off xD
Is it playable with the core set and the deluxe exp? I mean, re-playable

as far as I have heard and from the bit I have played (I have only played the first case a few times due to teaching it to people) it seems like it will have decent replayabilty, especially if you are doing campaigns.

Top Bottom