• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't know if it's less enjoyable alone.. but there is some management, especially with multiple characters.. that sort of takes away from the speed, but even the interaction and coolness that comes from it..

so when I was playing multiple characters, engaging enemies would sometimes get screwed up.. and you don't know/care because it's all "you" anyway.. whereas with multiple players, each player is like "fuuuuuuu" or such.. also without knowing what the other players have in their hands.. you make your best guess with what you know (your hand) and then your buddy lays down a skill card to help, etc.

it is enjoyable solo. it is better with multiple players. playing solo I always wish I was playing with more players, but it's not a bad experience. I just know I prefer it with multiple people.
What's funny that I totally had forgotten until Team Covenant interviewed one of the designers is that the rules say you shouldn't even give specific info about your hand to other players. It's almost like Shadows over Camelot rules, which are SUPER fuzzy and basically force you to say "I can help out" but not even specify how. We don't fucks with that at all and just play open hands. :p

You know, I feel like people are getting the wrong impression in here. You do not NEED to buy more than one Core Set. I have not and me and my friend have played through it the core campaign three times just fine. If you want to play with more than 2 people, sure then it's needed. But if you are just playing solo or with one other person? You don't need more than one core set. Could it be useful? Absolutely, but it isn't needed in any way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
+1 especially if you plan on picking up the mythos packs and dunwich, which give you a bunch of new cards.

This is literally my favourite game right now. We're playing a Dunwich Legacy campaign and eagerly awaiting Where Doom Awaits.

Check out my card box :D

yUoLbJE.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/gh2kP

Now that is cool.

XShagrath

One thing we haven't talked about yet is fan-made scenarios. There are a number of them on BGG and scattered around on reddit and various other places. However, someone has taken on the task of gathering all of these in one central place, as well as providing a rating system and discussions.

Arkham Central - Fan Made Scenarios

For those of you who think that fan-made stuff might not be up to snuff with the official content, Matt Newman (co-designer of Arkham Horror: TCG) got hired after being a pretty prominent creator of custom scenarios for the LOTR:LCG.

I haven't played any unofficial content yet, but probably will in the near future. I just picked up a color laser printer, so printing these out will be easy now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah we definitely will try out some of those, especially now that they've had some time to bake a bit. Actually one of the big upsides of this type of game is how well it supports fan-made, and I'm not usually much of a PnPer.

One thing I was curious about is how much do people follow this in their groups (from the Learn to Play -- funny enough I don't think any of this is in the RR)?

Arkham Horror: The Card Game seeks to establish a roleplaying experience in which each player takes on the role of a specific character: his or her investigator.
The nature of the game encourages players to work together and communicate, but players are also encouraged to stay ”in character" as much as possible while doing so. The game's areas of hidden information (the cards in a player's hand and deck)
exist to maintain the feeling that each investigator is a unique individual in the game world, and makes his or her decisions without complete and perfect knowledge of what everyone else knows or is thinking. A good means of maintaining this illusion is to not
name, read off, or allude to individual cards that are hidden information (i.e., in a player's hand or deck). For example: Wendy wants her partner, Roland, to take an investigation action, and she desires to communicate that she can help. Instead of saying
something like ”Take an investigation action; I can play Perception" or ”Investigate our location; I can contribute two icons," Wendy stays in character by saying, ”You should investigate. I can help!"
It's funny b/c I'm one of the few people who likes to play with the rule in Pandemic that everyone hates (no open hands), but we completely ignore the above for ALCG. In fact, we clearly violate the rules re open information by just playing open hands all game. I definitely get what they're going for with the "RPG experience" thing, but I honestly just feel that playing with this rule would add unnecessary time and silly obfuscation to the game, without having a material impact on difficulty or play experience. I already feel like the game is kind of exactly where we want it to be time-wise, so to have to beat around the bush with things like "I can help you...a lot...you should join me" instead of just saying hey I have a fucking Stand Together get over here would not really improve the play experience. There are also a lot of really cool combos and moves you can come up with if you're really working together at the highest level instead of sort of trying to water down your communication in an awkward way.

But total dsfdf I could see why people would play it the other way, and totally admit that we're straight house ruling w/ the way we play (just don't think the house rule is a material one, but rather one that saves on time). :p Was just curious how others see it.

We generally like to keep a loose closed hand system going on in our games. Every so often I might name a card I have in our table talks, but I wouldn't turn my hand around and reveal it to the table. We find that closed hands help keep the players in full control of their own investigators since they are the only ones that have the full info about their current options, stops one player railroading. And it just makes the game a little more fun with the fact that the surprises come from the investigators as well as just the encounter deck. A guardian pulling out a random surprise shotgun is a lot more funny and characterful and interesting then him just bluntly announcing he had the card two turns ago.

I just need to mention that I bought the game from reading about it here.
I played the first scenario with my granddaughter and it was great. Truly awesome.
So now, I'm only missing one mythos pack (the Essex County Express).

Thumbs up for the thread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We generally like to keep a loose closed hand system going on in our games. Every so often I might name a card I have in our table talks, but I wouldn't turn my hand around and reveal it to the table. We find that closed hands help keep the players in full control of their own investigators since they are the only ones that have the full info about their current options, stops one player railroading. And it just makes the game a little more fun with the fact that the surprises come from the investigators as well as just the encounter deck. A guardian pulling out a random surprise shotgun is a lot more funny and characterful and interesting then him just bluntly announcing he had the card two turns ago.

So for stuff where you can help other characters -- let's say with free card draw -- when they're about to draw a card I guess you make some thematic statement about why they should consider another option or do you just deliberately play inefficiently and let it all slide? Given our group's nature I feel like we couldn't really accept just playing poorly so we would have a LOT of table talk within the rules to try to rein things in.

XShagrath

It's funny b/c I'm one of the few people who likes to play with the rule in Pandemic that everyone hates (no open hands), but we completely ignore the above for ALCG. In fact, we clearly violate the rules re open information by just playing open hands all game.
I play with complete open information in Pandemic, but not in this. We will openly mention cards we draw from time to time, but not keep open hands. There were a couple early games where I didn't know what the "Peril" keyword meant, and would ask what the best decision would be (like with "Terror from Beyond"). After re-reading about that keyword, it made a lot more sense as to why we should keep that information secret. So even though my friend will be like "Sweet! I drew Pete," I don't keep track of that information consciously when I need to make decisions like that.

As for throwing down skill cards with "I can help you with that," we're not usually in the same location. The few times we have been, I have been vague like that though.

So for stuff where you can help other characters -- let's say with free card draw -- when they're about to draw a card I guess you make some thematic statement about why they should consider another option or do you just deliberately play inefficiently and let it all slide? Given our group's nature I feel like we couldn't really accept just playing poorly so we would have a LOT of table talk within the rules to try to rein things in.
Maybe I just haven't played these cards, but which ones allow your teammates to get a free draw?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I play with complete open information in Pandemic, but not in this. We will openly mention cards we draw from time to time, but not keep open hands. There were a couple early games where I didn't know what the "Peril" keyword meant, and would ask what the best decision would be (like with "Terror from Beyond"). After re-reading about that keyword, it made a lot more sense as to why we should keep that information secret. So even though my friend will be like "Sweet! I drew Pete," I don't keep track of that information consciously when I need to make decisions like that.

As for throwing down skill cards with "I can help you with that," we're not usually in the same location. The few times we have been, I have been vague like that though.

Maybe I just haven't played these cards, but which ones allow your teammates to get a free draw?

Stand Together, Old Book of Lore, Cryptic Research (all of which we play haha), and then there's stat buffs from things like Encyclopedia and other support cards. We'll probably start another core campaign and try it that way, see how it goes.

XShagrath

Stand Together, Old Book of Lore, Cryptic Research (all of which we play haha), and then there's stat buffs from things like Encyclopedia and other support cards. We'll probably start another core campaign and try it that way, see how it goes.[/QUOTE]
Okay. For some reason, my brain went immediately to the neutral skill cards, and was gonna say that that's not the way those are played.

I think my wife and I are going to play the core campaign tomorrow. We played The Gathering once already. She enjoyed it, but was neck-deep in schoolwork and wasn't able to continue. Now she's off for the summer and we should be able to make it through the whole campaign. Gonna try to sway her away from Daisy this time. I like her, but my wife's not really a gamer and some of those mystic cards really need more of an understanding of games to get the most out of them.

To be honest, we rarely interrupt people mid turn. At the beginning of the player phase you have to work out who is going in what order so we do have an idea as to what people are going to be trying to achieve. So if I was to say 'I am going to draw up some cards this turn' the guardian player might just go 'let me go first with my actions' and then plays Stand Together to help me out. In the rare occasions when you might want to interrupt people mid actions we just trust each other 100% so you don't need to come up with a convoluted reason as to why you are telling people to no do particular actions. I might go to draw a card and the guardian might go 'don't do that' in which case I do a different action and he plays Stand Together on his turn.

I think my wife and I are going to play the core campaign tomorrow. We played The Gathering once already. She enjoyed it, but was neck-deep in schoolwork and wasn't able to continue. Now she's off for the summer and we should be able to make it through the whole campaign. Gonna try to sway her away from Daisy this time. I like her, but my wife's not really a gamer and some of those mystic cards really need more of an understanding of games to get the most out of them.

Good luck, may the chaos bag be forever in your favour.

small question..
what's the difference between dunwhich horror and dunwhich legacy?
i'll buy the game this week and I'd like to get the most bang per buck..
I think I'll spend around 150-180 eur and get whatever that can get me..
but the information is quite sparse..

just to clarify, I intend to play it as a solo gamer (or solo handling two "chars" like in lotr lcg), as none of my friends//colleague is interested in anything game related that ain't fifa :)

my current estimation is:
1) core game
2) dunwhich horror (or legacy if they are the same or both)
3) miskatonic horror
4) dark pharaoh???
5) whatever is left

advice if you will :)

XShagrath

small question..
what's the difference between dunwhich horror and dunwhich legacy?
i'll buy the game this week and I'd like to get the most bang per buck..
I think I'll spend around 150-180 eur and get whatever that can get me..
but the information is quite sparse..

just to clarify, I intend to play it as a solo gamer (or solo handling two "chars" like in lotr lcg), as none of my friends//colleague is interested in anything game related that ain't fifa :)

my current estimation is:
1) core game
2) dunwhich horror (or legacy if they are the same or both)
3) miskatonic horror
4) dark pharaoh???
5) whatever is left

advice if you will :)

It looks like you're mixing up Arkham Horror: The Card Game, and Arkham Horror (board game). The complete list of products that are out so far is in the OT. If you've got other questions, just let us know.

Also, I just realized that I haven't updated the picture for Where Doom Awaits, as it is out now. I'll get that taken care of when I get home today.

It looks like you're mixing up Arkham Horror: The Card Game, and Arkham Horror (board game). The complete list of products that are out so far is in the OT. If you've got other questions, just let us know.

Also, I just realized that I haven't updated the picture for Where Doom Awaits, as it is out now. I'll get that taken care of when I get home today.

thank you, my friend..
then i'll buy the core set and the dunwhich legacy :)
i'll buy the mythos as times goes on//together with carcosa..

and i guess i can also buy the core board game as well, if anyone is willing to advice it for solo gaming.. :)

XShagrath

and i guess i can also buy the core board game as well, if anyone is willing to advice it for solo gaming.. :)

I would recommend the board game Eldritch Horror over Arkham Horror. Arkham is an older game (originally released in 1987), and some of its mechanisms are fairly dated. It's an extremely complicated game to get a handle on, and it's brutally difficult (which is par for the course for Lovecraftian games) to the point of not even being fun, in my opinion. FFG took the core concept of Arkham Horror and made a new game called Eldritch Horror in 2013. It is very much an evolution of the original Arkham Horror and maintains a lot of the same feel, while being a lot more streamlined. With Eldritch, you are traversing the entire world, whereas in Arkham Horror (the board game), you are confined to just the city of Arkham.

Maybe someone that's played more/is better at Arkham Horror can give you some more details bout the differences between it and Eldritch. I've only played it three or four times, and never had a good time with it. Where all of my games in Eldritch have been tense, but enjoyable. Even when I lost the game, I still had a good time.

Palmer_v1

Undimensioned and Unseen is not a fun scenario.

I know this game is prone to random bad luck, but we have the worst version of this to deal with, and I'm not even sure what to do when I have two massive monsters just trolling around whatley's ruins. We're also both playing low agility characters, so even the 3 evasion is hard to reach if we haven't gotten the right cards.

We advanced the agenda once before we even managed to get there safely. Ended up only beating 3 of the 5. Two of them got the upgrades that increased their health, plus the agenda progression giving them more fight, meant we had to waste most of our resources on the first two.

I dunno. I'm playing Wendy and most of this campaign has aggravated me by basically having special rules that restrict my deck from working. I'm either punished for drawing, have zero use for clues, or have clues forcibly removed from me.

My wife has fared better with Zoey, but this one tilted her a bit too. Like half of her deck becomes useless if she's not using her weapons and damage bonuses.

Here's our campaign status overall, if anyone is interested. Playing on Standard difficulty.

Miskatonic University:
Killed the abomination, saved the students, professor kidnapped. This one was entertaining, though it screwed with my plan to mill through my deck quickly.

Clover:
Saved club owner, Naomi has our backs, didn't cheat or drink. We got into the back pretty quickly. Due to Zoey's weakness, and bad draw, we flipped over all of the nasty enemies in one turn when they started spawning, which got really close to killing us, but we persevered, then almost ran out of time cause we didn't realize we had to find the back door to resign/escape.

Miskatonik Musem:
I had the worst luck imagineable here, and despite it being really easy, managed to flub every single thing that made me discard my deck. I was down to like 4 cards at one point, and considered drawing through it quickly before I got stuck with that Treachery card, but decided we only had like two turns before we won. Sure enough, I managed to draw that encounter card that kills you if your deck runs out, on second to last turn. Then the very last draw was a card that makes you discard based on how bad you failed. Boosted to a point where only auto fail could screw me, and immediately drew the auto failure and died. That encounter card alone has soured me on this entire expansion. We ended up keeping the necronomicon, and also have armitage at this point.

Essex County Express
Turbo'd through this one without much difficulty. Lost one helpless passenger, did not steal luggage. We got a bit lucky and avoided all of the annoying agility based cards/events, and only had to investigate the engine car.

Blood on the Altar?(I forget the name of this one):
Wendy practically solo'd this one. Somewhat lucky in finding the hidden chamber and key in the first 3 places we flipped. Zoey killed a few random things while Wendy charged into the chamber. Decided to go the investigation route, which took 3 turns, while Zoey kept getted stalled outside. I had a bulletproof vest and armitage to tank the damage for me. Kind of mad because I didn't put Necronomicon into play, despite havig the opportunity, so we didn't "save" the monster. Only sacrifice was Early Sawyer, and we were 1 turn short of saving him as well.

Then Undimensioned and Unseen which I covered above. Haven't done the newest one yet either.

My other annoyance currently is how the strange substance worked out. I took that card and "solved" it back in the first adventure, than replaced the card in my deck. Now, because of how those potions are phrased, I have to spend 1 XP to put the original card BACK into my deck, and than 4 XP to swap it for the actual potion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Where Doom Awaits Spoilers/Impressions:

As a Roland player, I really enjoyed kind of a back-to-basics adventure where we actually all got to use all the cool stuff we packed in our decks rather than faceplanting into some unexpected mechanics (ahem, Undimensioned). Roland was pretty tanked up (Charisma and two strength-buffing allies, as well as a reloaded Shotgun) and Daisy was her usual clue vacuum, so this actually turned out to be our easiest scenario yet,
but was a nice change of pace from the last two packs, which were a little more gimmicky.
Of course since the game loves to throw you curveballs, I fully expect the last scenario to be completely zany and involve a heavy reliance on Evade checks and Body assets.

I haven't played Doom Awaits yet (hopefully Friday) so gonna avoid those spoilers for now. But how would you rate it compared to the other scenarios? Good, bad, average?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I haven't played Doom Awaits yet (hopefully Friday) so gonna avoid those spoilers for now. But how would you rate it compared to the other scenarios? Good, bad, average?
Average+. I definitely had fun with it though my reasons are a bit idiosyncratic. :)

Okay, so I'm confused. Do you just keep Skills in your hand, play them from your hand when you need to and then return them to your hand or do you put them down in your inventory?

sneaky77

Okay, so I'm confused. Do you just keep Skills in your hand, play them from your hand when you need to and then return them to your hand or do you put them down in your inventory?

You commit the skill card or any card that you have in your hand with symbols to use, and then discard

Neither. If you have skill cards in your hand, you "commit" them to a test. When the test is resolved, for good or for ill, you perform the text on the card (something like, "draw a card if successful on skill test), and then, the skill cards are discarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbeFPkPOvY&feature=youtu.be

Ok, I'm gonna pick this up to play with my girlfriend. Think I'm gonna go with just a single core set. Should I pick up any of the expansions or stand alone packs to go along with it?

XShagrath

Ok, I'm gonna pick this up to play with my girlfriend. Think I'm gonna go with just a single core set. Should I pick up any of the expansions or stand alone packs to go along with it?
Recommended to play through the core first to see if you like it. At that point, I'd pick up the Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion and then the mythos packs to continue that campaign. The stand-alones don't contain player cards, so they should probably be lower priority until you build up a nice card pool. They are considered some of the best scenarios though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I should just look up in the rules.. but.. do you have to be in the same location as another investigator to commit skill cards?

XShagrath

I should just look up in the rules.. but.. do you have to be in the same location as another investigator to commit skill cards?
Yes. And even then, you can only commit one card. The investigator taking th test can commit as many as they want.

So, if 2 or more investigators are in the same location, can they commit cards to skill tests from one another? Share resources? I know that some sharing is possible but I'm not sure what exactly, I only remember reading about it some time ago.

YES! Haha, we missed this rule for so long when we started playing! We got the part about only committing one card if it isn't your test, though. But it certainly makes splitting up feel a little riskier.

So, if 2 or more investigators are in the same location, can they commit cards to skill tests from one another? Share resources? I know that some sharing is possible but I'm not sure what exactly, I only remember reading about it some time ago.

If you are in the same location, you may commit a single card to another investigator's test. You can commit as many as you want for your own test. You cannot share resources innately, but there is a Guardian event card that allows you to trade assets and resources.

Maedhros

I wanted this localized in Brazil, but I guess I'll never get, since the publisher that has a contract with FFG (Galapagos Jogos) doesn't have enough manpower to keep up with all these expansions.

When I get this one, I'll make the paste-ups myself. Only read glowing reviews about this one so far.

Recommended to play through the core first to see if you like it. At that point, I'd pick up the Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion and then the mythos packs to continue that campaign. The stand-alones don't contain player cards, so they should probably be lower priority until you build up a nice card pool. They are considered some of the best scenarios though.

Thanks!

Did this game just come out? It's out of stock damn near everywhere I've looked!

XShagrath

Did this game just come out? It's out of stock damn near everywhere I've looked!
It's a little over six months old now. I just looked up when I got mine, and it was 11/22/16. FFG really underestimated the demand on this game, and have been doing small print runs of the core set and the rest as fast as they are able to. Unfortunately, printing presses in China need to be booked months in advance (sometimes 6+), so they've only been able to fit in small reprint runs as their factories were able to fit them in.

Keep an eye out on the thread and someone will post up when a reprint hits the stores. If you're in the US, I can see if CSI has any in their local store when I hit it up tomorrow to pick up an order.

thank you, my friend..
then i'll buy the core set and the dunwhich legacy :)
i'll buy the mythos as times goes on//together with carcosa..

update..
bought arkham card game corex2, dunwhich, all available mythos :p
the flesh is weak..
I hope it's a good game :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Do folks listen to any good podcasts for this? Mythos Busters is I think the main one. I actually like listening to their commentary mostly (though I disagree with almost all of it, probably a function of playing 3p mostly vs. whatever they play with) but it's definitely the most awkward podcast I listen to in terms of lengthy pauses and people talking over each other (maybe they have a terrible Skype connection or just no editing?). Also there's one dude who probably cracks puns 30+ times each episode and he's just beyond grating (please enthusiast podcast people, we're not looking to you for humor unless it's directly and substantively related to the topic of your pod, not some terrible pun) so yeah looking for something else to complement it at least. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do folks listen to any good podcasts for this? Mythos Busters is I think the main one. I actually like listening to their commentary mostly (though I disagree with almost all of it, probably a function of playing 3p mostly vs. whatever they play with) but it's definitely the most awkward podcast I listen to in terms of lengthy pauses and people talking over each other (maybe they have a terrible Skype connection or just no editing?). Also there's one dude who probably cracks puns 30+ times each episode and he's just beyond grating (please enthusiast podcast people, we're not looking to you for humor unless it's directly and substantively related to the topic of your pod, not some terrible pun) so yeah looking for something else to complement it at least. :p

I like listening to the podcast. I've skipped the spoiler podcasts for now until I have played through the scenarios more. Some of the content is hit or miss.

XShagrath

Drawn to the Flame is the only other one I'm aware of. There should be a link in the OP.

I like Mythos Busters as well, although some of them can be extremely corny at times.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cool thanks -- shoulda checked the OP! :D

My dislike honestly wouldn't even register if it wasn't for the constant puns. They actually aggravate some of the quality issues with the pod because there's such a delay between people speaking in most cases that when the dude busts out a pun after two seconds of silence, you know it's going to be topic>two-second pause>pun>awkward laughter/response to pun>two-second pause (possible awkward laughter if pun engaged with in previous step)>restate original question topic>two-second pause>(pray for not another pun) :p

XShagrath

Keep an eye out on the thread and someone will post up when a reprint hits the stores. If you're in the US, I can see if CSI has any in their local store when I hit it up tomorrow to pick up an order.
I was just at CSI picking up some sleeves, and they had two cores and two Dunwich Legacies on the shelf. If anyone wants one for cost + shipping, just let me know. The cores would be $34.92 + shipping, and then Dunwich would be $26.18 + shipping. Obviously, Dunwich is a little easier to get than the core set right now, but the offer is out there.

XShagrath

This is great. Took them a while to put it together but they do a really amazing job on these things. Might watch all of it just to make sure I'm not playing anything wrong. :p
It seems to be pretty thorough. The little section on "Prey" could be misconstrued a little bit. Roland is the only investigator at his location and draws a Ghoul with "Prey: lowest remaining health." They say it engages with Roland because he has the lowest health (at his location), but technically it engages Roland because he's the only investigator at that location. They would have been able to display that more clearly if the example had both investigators at the same location.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It seems to be pretty thorough. The little section on "Prey" could be misconstrued a little bit. Roland is the only investigator at his location and draws a Ghoul with "Prey: lowest remaining health." They say it engages with Roland because he has the lowest health (at his location), but technically it engages Roland because he's the only investigator at that location. They would have been able to display that more clearly if the example had both investigators at the same location.

Hahaha oh wow yeah they messed that up. It's actually probably the most misunderstood rule in the game, but Prey has no effect on an enemy drawn during Mythos unless that enemy happens to spawn unengaged (which would only happen in the case of a location Spawn instruction, Aloof, etc., but not an ordinary draw).

FAQ:
"The only time “Prey –” instructions will impact this process is when an enemy spawns unengaged at a location with multiple investigators, and you use the rules for Enemy Engagement (Rules Reference, page 10) to determine which investigator it should automatically engage.

XShagrath

Hahaha oh wow yeah they messed that up. It's actually probably the most misunderstood rule in the game, but Prey has no effect on an enemy drawn during Mythos unless that enemy happens to spawn unengaged (which would only happen in the case of a location Spawn instruction, Aloof, etc., but not an ordinary draw).
I guess so. Even I've been screwing that one up! I just re-read the rules reference for the mythos phase.

The way we've been playing it is if we were both at the same location and a Prey enemy spawned, it would engage with its prey, regardless of who drew it. I guess it only really triggers when an enemy is evaded and the investigators stick around for some reason without killing it, which is like, never.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I guess so. Even I've been screwing that one up! I just re-read the rules reference for the mythos phase.

The way we've been playing it is if we were both at the same location and a Prey enemy spawned, it would engage with its prey, regardless of who drew it. I guess it only really triggers when an enemy is evaded and the investigators stick around for some reason without killing it, which is like, never.

Yeah somebody had a pretty good summary on this crazy long thread I had on BGG about spawning rules.

Spawning an enemy drawn from the Encounter deck:
1. If there is Spawn text on the enemy, the enemy will spawn at the location called for by the Spawn text. If there is Prey text on the enemy, the enemy will engage based on the Prey text. If there is no Prey text, the lead investigator may choose which investigator the enemy will engage.
2. If there is no Spawn text on the enemy, the enemy will engage the investigator that drew the enemy card, regardless of Prey text on the enemy.

Spawning an enemy per Agenda instructions:
3. Agenda cards spawn enemies using Spawn text, so...same as 1. above.

Readying an unengaged enemy:
4. If there is Prey text on the enemy, the enemy will engage

Top Bottom