• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game |OT| Cards of Cthulhu

Can anyone explain to me why some cards are subtly reprinted in certain sets/ packs? Can't remember off the top of my head but I think that Peter Sylvester ally card and the shrinking card I have seen in different forms... strange

Some cards have evolved superior forms of themselves. I'll throw up the two versions of Peter

Basic Peter

2 xp Peter

So when you start a campaign you can only build a deck with cards that have a zero xp cost, like the basic Peter. But you get through you are awarding xp which you can spend to buy and upgrade the cards in your deck and one of these upgrades is the ability to replace the basic Peter card into the 2xp variant which has better stat boosts and extra sanity. The xp cost of putting those cards into your deck are those white dots below the play cost of the card (in Peters case it is the 2 white dots below the 3 in the top left corner). It is worth noting, you still have to apply by your characters deckbuilding rules so you can't have more then 30 cards in a deck (buy new cards, have to scrap old ones), can't have more then 2 copies of the same card and you are gonna be restricted on which class of cards you can take.

Peter Sylvestre is just (literally) insane. One of the best cards in the game imo.

He is mega good yeah. I would have a lot of trouble running a mystic deck without him and that is even before he gets the willpower buff of his 2xp form (although I believe as of now only Agnes can use the upgraded version). This is a fairly expensive combo, but I can't help but wonder if survivors can get Peter and the 4xp version of Aquinnah out at the same time they are gonna basically be invincible for a good few turns.

Big One

Banned
Peter Sylvestre is just (literally) insane. One of the best cards in the game imo.
No lies detected there.

Btw I've completed my Arkham Horror Card Game Collection. Pretty satisfied with it! I can pretty much only play with two players but eh, 3-4 players was a bit too much in my testing (still fun but I prefer 1-2). My binder is STACKED with player cards. I need more encounter sets to finish my print-and-play fan-made scenario collection though.

Only thing I do not have is the Marie promo card + her associated cards.

deleted

It's impossible to find the German version of the game at a reasonable price right now. Even the English version costs 15 Euro too much.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I may have cost us a game playing Delve too Deep. This is a possibility that may or may not have happened.

XShagrath

The write up for the first mythos pack of the Carcosa campaign is up

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/6/echoes-of-the-past/

Carcosa is sounding like it's going to be fucking great! I'm still excited for the end of Dunwich, but am also looking forward to the new mechanics that will show up in the next campaign. After I finish Dunwich, I'll be running it several more times before Carcosa. I like getting the new scenarios every month, but it's going to be so nice to just play through all eight in a couple nights.

So would you be allowed to play and use Plucky during the Mythos phase after you draw an encounter card but before it resolves? According to the faq their is a timing window after you draw the encounter card but I dunno if the revelation abilities on those cards takes priority before your free action.

XShagrath

So would you be allowed to play and use Plucky during the Mythos phase after you draw an encounter card but before it resolves? According to the faq their is a timing window after you draw the encounter card but I dunno if the revelation abilities on those cards takes priority before your free action.

My gut reaction is no. The rules reference says "A fast asset may be played by an investigator during any player window on his or her turn." The Mythos phase isn't considered to be a player's turn. If I see clarification of this anywhere, I'll be sure to post it here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My gut reaction is no. The rules reference says "A fast asset may be played by an investigator during any player window on his or her turn." The Mythos phase isn't considered to be a player's turn. If I see clarification of this anywhere, I'll be sure to post it here.

Yeah that window is to use triggered abilities, not play Fast cards. Relevant RR text:

"The red boxes are player windows. Players may use
󲅺 triggered abilities in these windows."

ahc12-run-for-your-life.png

I love how often I get a laugh out of new cards in this game. I'm glad the team still looks full of neat ideas going into Carcosa.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I love how often I get a laugh out of new cards in this game. I'm glad the team still looks full of neat ideas going into Carcosa.

For real. Sent that card to my group too because it would have been very useful to us...in one of our scenarios. :D The game is just so clever you can really tell it's made with passion, and that the lead designer comes from the community fan-made scene for LOTR.

Ahh yeah, you are right here. I forgot you can't play fast assets outside of your turn.

In terms of comedy cards, I do love Oops! Probably never gonna field it but love the art.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok, I have a question!!!!! I don't get this card. Like, you can only play it if there is a resign option in play.. and the result is you resign.. which, you resign anyway.. is this just trying to be funny?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok, I have a question!!!!! I don't get this card. Like, you can only play it if there is a resign option in play.. and the result is you resign.. which, you resign anyway.. is this just trying to be funny?

Haha...for now I think mostly. Although in several scenarios you do have to do X and then resign to basically get the best outcome, and sometimes it can be hard to get back to the resign.

99% of the time the resign option is tied to a specific location somewhere in each scenario, so you can only preform the resign action while also being that that location. That card is basically giving you the ability to resign while you are stationed at any location in the game (as long as you can play event cards). The reason it specifies that you can only play it while the resign option is in play is to stop playing the card when in a scenario where there are no resign options, or the option is temporally locked.

geestack

finally managed to get my hands on a core set and the dunwich expansion from my local games shop. pretty excited, but I'm a total noob. anyone in the Austin area playing this? I have another core set on the way as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the Miskatonic Museum with a friend this evening.. Went pretty smooth for once.
we decided to destroy the Necronomicon, see how that plays out

Also I wish I could redo my friend's Ashcan deck.. I made it quickly when I first got it and put too many allies in. When you have Duke right from the start allies likely won't get played.

Quick question too. When leveling up a 0 XP card to a 2 XP card of the same name is there a discount of 1xp?

Noaloha

Also I wish I could redo my friend's Ashcan deck.. I made it quickly when I first got it and put too many allies in. When you have Duke right from the start allies likely won't get played.
Just in case your group's glossed over this as one of those easy to miss things, I wanna check: you're aware that Duke doesn't take up an Ally slot in the player area right? I can see other reasons for stating other allies likely won't get played (some redundancy in the benefit of an additional ally's damage/horror soak, for example) but I figured I'd just mention it to be sure.

And no discount on the card upgrade.

Quick question too. When leveling up a 0 XP card to a 2 XP card of the same name is there a discount of 1xp?

There isn't a 1xp discount in this case. The discount rules for upgrading cards is that if you are buying a card to replace a card with the same name you only need to pay for the difference in xp to acquire the upgraded version. So technically in your example that rule is activating, but the difference between 0 and 2 is 2 so it is no different then just getting it without the discount.

As it stands there are no current cards that get a discount from this rule, although there is one coming in Lost in Time and Space and I am sure their will be others when the Carcosa cycle starts proper.

Sandoval

I've just bought into the game for two people and occasionally a third. I've picked up two of the core set and one expansion along with one of each Mythos pack (except the third... these fucking mythos packs can be difficult to find). I'm still not past the core set scenario, but given the fact that these things phase in and out of availability, I'd rather just get everything that I need right now.

Now for my question. To support two players properly, how many copies of each mythos pack do I need?

Thanks for answering, XShagrath.

XShagrath

Now for my question. To support two players properly, how many copies of each mythos pack do I need?
You should just need one copy of each mythos pack, for the most part. Everything past the core (deluxe expansions and mythos packs) will contain two copies of each player card. So, the only time you'd run into an issue is if both people wanted to run the same card. This isn't very likely in most situations, as people will generally be playing different classes and there won't be a lot of overlap.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just in case your group's glossed over this as one of those easy to miss things, I wanna check: you're aware that Duke doesn't take up an Ally slot in the player area right? I can see other reasons for stating other allies likely won't get played (some redundancy in the benefit of an additional ally's damage/horror soak, for example) but I figured I'd just mention it to be sure.

And no discount on the card upgrade.

Can't believe I missed that. That's why it is good to ask. Thanks!

There isn't a 1xp discount in this case. The discount rules for upgrading cards is that if you are buying a card to replace a card with the same name you only need to pay for the difference in xp to acquire the upgraded version. So technically in your example that rule is activating, but the difference between 0 and 2 is 2 so it is no different then just getting it without the discount.

As it stands there are no current cards that get a discount from this rule, although there is one coming in Lost in Time and Space and I am sure their will be others when the Carcosa cycle starts proper.

Thanks!

XShagrath

Thanks, I just noticed that it's actually not the same as the Arkham Horror board game which is 1-8 players. Almost bought the wrong thing...
Yeah, OG Arkham Horror really doesn't work well with two players. I've tried it several times as a two-player game, and even as a simulated four-player experience, and it's never quite clicked for me. I know some people really like it, but it's just way too convoluted for me. I had to print out a turn breakdown flowchart in order to make sure I did everything correctly.

I do thoroughly enjoy all the other Arkham Files games though. They've learned a lot from what made the original Arkham Horror not work as well now, and taken cues from other modern board games to make a better experience.

If I had to rank the Arkham Files games, it would be: Arkham Horror: TCG, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror, Elder Signs, Arkham Horror.

Great OT! I've been looking for a co-op LCG to play with my girlfriend and this sounds like it's a lot of fun. Just a question, I know in the FAQ it states the game playable with just one core set but the deckbuilding really opens up with two. Realistically speaking, am I just better off buying two sets? We haven't really played dedicated deckbuilders so I'm not even sure we'd take proper advantage of two?

XShagrath

Great OT! I've been looking for a co-op LCG to play with my girlfriend and this sounds like it's a lot of fun. Just a question, I know in the FAQ it states the game playable with just one core set but the deckbuilding really opens up with two. Realistically speaking, am I just better off buying two sets? We haven't really played dedicated deckbuilders so I'm not even sure we'd take proper advantage of two?

In a single core set, there are just one copy of each of the class player cards (Guardian, Rogue, etc.) and several copies of the neutral cards. With only a single core set, the investigators are essentially dual-class (Guardian/Seeker, Survivor/Rogue), so you basically take all of the cards from the two classes, and a smattering of neutral cards, and that's your deck. That means with a single core, there are only a certain combination of investigators that can be played, due to class overlap.

My suggestion would be to buy one core, and see if you like the game. You can probably play through the core campaign on Easy with the suggested starter decks. Then, if you like the game, you can go in on a second core. The core would be the only product you would possibly need multiple copies of, since everything else comes with two copies of each player card.

Is this good for 2 people? I know it's possible but is it good?

I think it is probably the best with two players. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun with three to four players but it has a sense of weird mania and farce which makes the game feel like the cross between an episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and one of the live action Resident Evil movies. One to two players have moments of oddball comedy but they largely keep the setting a lot closer to the Lovecraftian sinister tone that the Arkham name carries.

Maybe a weird question. My copy of Dunwich should be arriving tomorrow, I also picked up Undimensioned and Unseen with it. I know I can't play that scenario yet (I don't have the other Mythos packs for Dunwich), however am I able to use the player cards it comes with? I'm assuming I can, but figured I'd ask just in case.

XShagrath

Maybe a weird question. My copy of Dunwich should be arriving tomorrow, I also picked up Undimensioned and Unseen with it. I know I can't play that scenario yet (I don't have the other Mythos packs for Dunwich), however am I able to use the player cards it comes with? I'm assuming I can, but figured I'd ask just in case.
Yes, you can use all the player cards you own. Nothing is "locked," except for story assets that would be tied to a certain scenario.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think it is probably the best with two players. Don't get me wrong, the game is fun with three to four players but it has a sense of weird mania and farce which makes the game feel like the cross between an episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and one of the live action Resident Evil movies. One to two players have moments of oddball comedy but they largely keep the setting a lot closer to the Lovecraftian sinister tone that the Arkham name carries.

I think the game is definitely completely tuned for two, but I actually prefer it with three. The decision space opens up so much, and it's not like do we stay together or split up, but who goes with whom, etc. Also the support cards and characters become much more interesting, as do the builds since you can specialize a bit more. Four I do feel like is a bit over the top though and does go a little into the territory you describe as well as just being overlong for our tastes.

ijed

So for character builds you can only have max 5 level 0 cards from another class...
Why are there all these crazy decks on arkhamdb?

Also bought where doom awaits and love the "solution" upgrades!

XShagrath

So for character builds you can only have max 5 level 0 cards from another class...
Why are there all these crazy decks on arkhamdb?
The core investigators are "dual-class," which allow 0-5 main class, 0-5 neutral, 0-2 off-class. Example: Wendy Adams (0-5 Survivor, 0-2 Rogue, 0-5 Neutral).

The Dunwich investigators are "splash," which means they have a main class, and can take up to five cards from any other classes, as well as the pretty standard level 0-5 neutral cards.

So every character has different deck restrictions, and it's not even always going to be limited to 30 cards. If you look at Rex, he can't take "Fortune" traited cards.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This game sounds pretty cool, really on the brink of impulse buying it but I have a few questions :

-I see people mentionning playing it alone, is that fun?
-how many players does the base box supports?

ijed

The core investigators are "dual-class," which allow 0-5 main class, 0-5 neutral, 0-2 off-class. Example: Wendy Adams (0-5 Survivor, 0-2 Rogue, 0-5 Neutral).

The Dunwich investigators are "splash," which means they have a main class, and can take up to five cards from any other classes, as well as the pretty standard level 0-5 neutral cards.

So every character has different deck restrictions, and it's not even always going to be limited to 30 cards. If you look at Rex, he can't take "Fortune" traited cards.

Oh yeah I was been looking at the expansion characters! Thanks that makes more sense :)

This game sounds pretty cool, really on the brink of impulse buying it but I have a few questions :

Have played a few games solo with 2 characters but more fun with a friend.
Just bought a 2nd core set last week and having doubles of cards is really handy but you can build 2 characters (certain combos only) with 1 core.

Mistouze

Kinda puts me off to know I'd need to buy a second set to play it with two other people.

I'd rather buy a pricier version of the base deck than to get the same box twice, I get what the business model is but still.

XShagrath

Kinda puts me off to know I'd need to buy a second set to play it with two other people.

I'd rather buy a pricier version of the base deck than to get the same box twice, I get what the business model is but still.

LCGs are a different model than your standard board/card game, sometimes called a "lifestyle" game. In an ideal scenario, each player would be buying and supplying their own cards, similar to a CCG/TCG. I know that's now the case for a lot of people (myself included), and I supply for one other person.

Mistouze

LCGs are a different model than your standard board/card game, sometimes called a "lifestyle" game. In an ideal scenario, each player would be buying and supplying their own cards, similar to a CCG/TCG. I know that's now the case for a lot of people (myself included), and I supply for one other person.
Yeah that's the impression I get from it and that's fine for what it is but that's not the sort of thing that's going to happen in my gaming group. I'll still try to talk my girl into playing it with me though.

EDIT : It feels a bit weird to expect of each player to get their own sets in a cooperative game while I wouldn't mind it at all if got into a competitive one like Netrunner.

XShagrath

EDIT : It feels a bit weird to expect of each player to get their own sets in a cooperative game while I wouldn't mind it at all if got into a competitive one like Netrunner.
I totally understand where you're coming from, and wish there was something else they could do. I guess if you really wanted to play three players and didn't want to buy more core sets, you could proxy the necessary player cards. It's not going to look as nice, but functionally, it will work the same.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People are only "bringing their own set" for the base game if you want to play >2 (or 2 with more deckbuilding options). For the expansions you get two of every card, which is the max for a standard deck. So you play overlapping classes or are hell-bent on getting one specific card you'll only need one copy of everything after the base. (Note that if you have 3p, you are likelier to want some of the same cards from the expansions so maybe the issue will come up.)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I don't know if it's less enjoyable alone.. but there is some management, especially with multiple characters.. that sort of takes away from the speed, but even the interaction and coolness that comes from it..

so when I was playing multiple characters, engaging enemies would sometimes get screwed up.. and you don't know/care because it's all "you" anyway.. whereas with multiple players, each player is like "fuuuuuuu" or such.. also without knowing what the other players have in their hands.. you make your best guess with what you know (your hand) and then your buddy lays down a skill card to help, etc.

it is enjoyable solo. it is better with multiple players. playing solo I always wish I was playing with more players, but it's not a bad experience. I just know I prefer it with multiple people.

Top Bottom