• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

See, I'm reading the "we already knew that" takes and it's like... I didn't? I knew that Oliver killed, that he felt that it was necessary to kill, that it was his preferred method for a long while there, but never that he liked killing. It was just... part of being Something Else to him. The "I killed because I liked it" absolutely makes sense in retrospect, especially with that episode's flashbacks, but it wasn't a nonreveal or a waste of an episode at all.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I tried to watch the first season but it was the worst thing imaginable. What's this about Dolph Lundgren?

GulAtiCa

See, I'm reading the "we already knew that" takes and it's like... I didn't? I knew that Oliver killed, that he felt that it was necessary to kill, that it was his preferred method for a long while there, but never that he liked killing. It was just... part of being Something Else to him. The "I killed because I liked it" absolutely makes sense in retrospect, especially with that episode's flashbacks, but it wasn't a nonreveal or a waste of an episode at all.
Same. It was revealing to me and to Oliver. Easily my favorite episode.

Joni

Not when there's nothing surprising or rewarding about it. They went the most obvious route possible.
He needs to realize it so he can act on it. Otherwise you end up in a show where everyone is screaming at the screen because the main doesn't realize the obvious thing. As for picking the most obvious route, that also means that they didn't pick something unbelievable which we were all fearing. They could have made something up that wasn't obvious but just stupid as hell. We have seen five seasons of this show. It should be natural for us.

He needs to realize it so he can act on it. Otherwise you end up in a show where everyone is screaming at the screen because the main doesn't realize the obvious thing. As for picking the most obvious route, that also means that they didn't pick something unbelievable which we were all fearing. They could have made something up that wasn't obvious but just stupid as hell. We have seen five seasons of this show. It should be natural for us.
Or they could have pulled their finger out and written something surprising and believable.

There is a huge gulf between the extremes of nonsense we can't believe and wasting an episode on what we know.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nah, it was a crap moment and a waste of an episode. Audience gained nothing from it. Is like spending an entire episode to tell us Felicity likes computers.

Or they could have pulled their finger out and written something surprising and believable.

There is a huge gulf between the extremes of nonsense we can't believe and wasting an episode on what we know.

These are bad posts

I don't even know how to address how silly they are

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought it was a good reveal. It wasn't sloppy like Oliver revealing he had another secret kid or something like that.

The show has always put the idea forward that Oliver was okay with torture and murder in the pursuit of justice. Revealing that he gets off on it is a totally different ball of wax. Even in Season 1 when he was killing regularly, the show always leaned on it being in service to The List. Finding out that he enjoys killing puts a lot of things in a new light. The Season 3 and 4 flashbacks actually make more sense now. He probably didn't return to his old life because he learned some cool tricks and being off the grid let him use them more often.

It also gives Evelyn's heel turn more justification.

Minamu

The main problem I have with it is that I've felt like this has been known by reading between the lines given a lot of prior dialogue between other characters and it wasn't something that necessarily needed to be said explicitly. And it was a lame "been there, done that" reason for Prometheus to be sad, given the cliche level of the concept. Might be new to this particular show but it's not that fresh in general. Not that everything needs to be fresh all the time but it made it a bit boring and anti-climactic for this badass season.

I still haven't seen the latest stuff so maybe I'll change my mind still. I love the actor though, I'm sad Prometheus is who he is, I don't want him gone at all.

I mean, the show just turned Ollie into a serial killer. It always crouched his killing in terms of justice, truth and making the city a better place. Sure, he had no qualms killing. But no matter how many bodies he dropped, he did it because people failed the city. The reveal completely did away with all that. The List is no longer a noble ideal that Ollie undertook to honor his father's dying wish. It's now the trophy of a serial murderer. Ollie probably spent his nights revisiting the thing, looking at the names crossed off and smiling like the psycho he was. Thank god Felicity,
and Diggle, I guess,
saved Ollie from that darkness.

ZeroX03

Banned
I mean, the show just turned Ollie into a serial killer. It always crouched his killing in terms of justice, truth and making the city a better place. Sure, he had no qualms killing. But no matter how many bodies he dropped, he did it because people failed the city. The reveal completely did away with all that. The List is no longer a noble ideal that Ollie undertook to honor his father's dying wish. It's now the trophy of a serial murderer. Ollie probably spent his nights revisiting the thing, looking at the names crossed off and smiling like the psycho he was. Thank god Felicity,
and Diggle, I guess,
saved Ollie from that darkness.

In what world did Felicity save Oliver from that darkness? She encouraged him to kill Darhk and Ra's. This last episode basically definitively showed that the morality was all Diggle. Felicity's current plot line has her involved with presumably cyber terrorists because she believes the ends justify the means.

In what world did Felicity save Oliver from that darkness? She encouraged him to kill Darhk and Ra's. This last episode basically definitively showed that the morality was all Diggle. Felicity's current plot line has her involved with presumably cyber terrorists because she believes the ends justify the means.

They've taken Olicity from me. Can't you just let me have this, you monster?

Joni

First time Oliver stopped killing, it was Felicity who urged him to kill.

Arrow-S2E7-Count.jpg

Yeah redemption seemed odd considering her few appearances she's showed few signs of being good. She's been straight up evil.
Yeah. I still don't see them making her THE big bad. It seems more likely that they would be taking the Legion of Doom concept over to Arrow, and have a villain team to rival Team Arrow.

Sölf

Watched the episode, that ending though. Chase is great. Whatever I said about him when we found out that Prometheus is just "some random guy" and that it was somewhat "lame that it was Chase", I take that back. Chase is one of the greatest villains in the Arrowverse.

GulAtiCa

I bet & hope:
She becomes a "Spike" from Buffy like character. Someone still evil & out there for their own, but not the big bad.

Yeah. I still don't see them making her THE big bad. It seems more likely that they would be taking the Legion of Doom concept over to Arrow, and have a villain team to rival Team Arrow.
I don't know if I'd want this. Depending on who they use, I'd hate to see the match ups at the end of the season.

Imagine Wild Dog
taking down Deathstroke,
for example. That would suuuuuck.

Joni

I don't know if I'd want this. Depending on who they use, I'd hate to see the match ups at the end of the season.

Imagine Wild Dog
taking down Deathstroke,
for example. That would suuuuuck.

If they got that route,
they would need to have Oliver take down villains before the last episode and have the last episode be Oliver vs villain boss and the sidekicks together vs the dragon.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah redemption seemed odd considering her few appearances she's showed few signs of being good. She's been straight up evil.

I mean... Malcolm Merlyn may have never achieved redemption, but at a certain point, nobody was surprised anymore that he was just showing up in Felicity's apartment or in their base or whatever. It's like he was an obnoxious coworker, coming by to drop his opinion when it wasn't really wanted, and the best you can do is nod and be like "Yeah, okay Merlyn, thanks. Please go."

Xenoboy

What if we get a Black Siren team up with Killer Frost between Arrow and Flash? Aren't Katie and Danielle roomies?

ZeroX03

Banned
What if we get a Black Siren team up with Killer Frost between Arrow and Flash? Aren't Katie and Danielle roomies?

Maybe not? Katie isn't in Canada nearly as often this year and Danielle is engaged and traveling more. But I think a lot of the actors keep modest apartments in Vancouver and focus on LA living so maybe they still do, if it's cheap for Vancouver.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Maybe not? Katie isn't in Canada nearly as often this year and Danielle is engaged and traveling more. But I think a lot of the actors keep modest apartments in Vancouver and focus on LA living so maybe they still do, if it's cheap for Vancouver.

Firestorm lives in my building. No idea where any of them could be living to reasonably afford just a side place in Vancouver while staying mostly in LA, unless it inherently is paid for by the CW in their contract.

strafer

Firestorm lives in my building. No idea where any of them could be living to reasonably afford just a side place in Vancouver while staying mostly in LA, unless it inherently is paid for by the CW in their contract.

Robbie Amell lives in your building?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ah, that's cool, you ever said Hi to him?

First time I saw him, I did a double-take in my lobby while waiting for the elevator. Before I get on, I just sorta point and go "...Firestorm?" He smiles and is like "Yeaaahhh." I give a thumbs up and get in the elevator. My girlfriend and I pass him once in a while, occasionally exchange acouple words. He knows we watch the show.

One time, he and his friend were in the elevator looking at a picture of some girl on his phone, talking about her ass. That was a moment.

strafer

First time I saw him, I did a double-take in my lobby while waiting for the elevator. Before I get on, I just sorta point and go "...Firestorm?" He smiles and is like "Yeaaahhh." I give a thumbs up and get in the elevator. My girlfriend and I pass him once in a while, occasionally exchange acouple words. He knows we watch the show.

One time, he and his friend were in the elevator looking at a picture of some girl on his phone, talking about her ass. That was a moment.

That is seriously amazing, he seems like a fun dude.

ZeroX03

Banned

I'm reasonably sure The CW covers it. Everyone else like guest stars are put up in hotels, even people there long term like Wild Dog. Not sure why something similar wouldn't go for regulars. They spend 10 months out of the year there but invest their money in LA real estate while generally living 'modestly' while shooting.

From Franz Drameh too:
The London-born actor, who has had roles in feature films Attack the Block and Edge of Tomorrow and plays superhero Firestorm in Legends, is a comics buff who appreciates Golden Age Collectables, one of the city's key stores on downtown Granville Street. "They've got a decent little selection," he said.

Drameh, 23, said his current gig marks his first visit to Vancouver. "I like Vancouver. It's a cool city. I am downtown. I like how I can see all the skyscrapers and tower blocks, but then I can see the mountains and the distance as well. It's nice having that balance."

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm reasonably sure The CW covers it. Everyone else like guest stars are put up in hotels, even people there long term like Wild Dog. Not sure why something similar wouldn't go for regulars. They spend 10 months out of the year there but invest their money in LA real estate while generally living 'modestly' while shooting.

From Franz Drameh too:

I mean he ain't wrong. I love the view from this building. When you work from home, it definitely helps a bit.

GulAtiCa

haha, that is awesome.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Last I saw Katie and Caity were living together in Vancouver but I think she moved back to LA. Relevant Tweet. https://twitter.com/caitylotz/status/827457263103246337

EDIT: O_O I hope she had a private PSN ID. https://twitter.com/MzKatieCassidy/status/841121331747966976

I actually remember this. She was challenging people to Call of Duty and said to add her and got a bajillion friend requests all at once. Lol, and I don't think there is a way to add people en masse. Gotta be 1 at a time.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I guess while we're on the topic of Arrow-verse actors in Vancouver...

John Barrowman seemingly at one point lived down the street from some friends (also in downtown)

A friend of mine works as an illustrator for the costume department on these shows (if you see those photoshop paintings of the costume designs around online, he's the one who does those). He coincidentally sat next to Brandon Routh in the theater when he went to see Lego Batman. He was pretty happy about that lol

Also 95% sure I saw Caity Lotz one time in Yaletown, sorta drunk with a friend.

Similarly, any time I pass the actress that plays Raven on The 100, she always looks pissed off and tired.

Top Bottom