• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

ShadyK54

hey guys

remember when chase said

I'll see you on the boat

TEN

STEPS

AHEAD

are-you-serious-gif.gif

........Jesus. Chase da gawd.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
refresh my memory please. when was this? must've missed this part. haha

It was last episode, when Oliver and Malcolm rescued Chase from the cops. When Chase got into the helicopter, he said "I'll see you on the boat."

Really entertaining finale and easily best season since the 2nd. It's good to see the show rebound and I'm looking forward to season 6. Another testament to the importance of having a good villain and Chase was more than just good.

Although the flashbacks this season were better than some previous ones, I'm glad they are done with them. The island blowing up was a nice touch to finish them off.

ZeroX03

Banned
Barrowman's Instagram posts sure make it sound like he isn't coming back.

Just like Manu didn't come back for this episode huh

I do think he's "dead" for the foreseeable future, Barrowman doesn't have trouble getting work and the inconsistency of his contracts was always an issue. He can take some time off, and if Merlyn needs to come back, there's wiggle room. Just like Deadshot.

He went out a winner too. Wasn't neutered like the last two seasons. Was a very fun villain on Legends. Got to sing on Flash. Got to die a loving father (but still a terrible human). Can't ask for much more.

Just like Manu didn't come back for this episode huh

I do think he's "dead" for the foreseeable future, Barrowman doesn't have trouble getting work and the inconsistency of his contracts was always an issue. He can take some time off, and if Merlyn needs to come back, there's wiggle room. Just like Deadshot.

I agree .
Having him away from the arrowverse for a while will do good .
Have him comes back in arrow last season or a big event few years for now would be better .

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The episode was filled with callbacks, by the way:

From S01E14 - Slade says put the gun in my face

Y5Jv494.gif

From S05E23 - Slade tells them to put a gun in Oliver's face

01JePyh.gif

Found this one from Reddit:

kKQiA7T.jpg

They're using the same gun.

Joni

Damn, that might be the absolute best finale in the Arrowverse history. A lot of callbacks, a fantastic way to round up the season, all those fights, ... Only minor drawback was the scenes where it is clearly not Manu in the costume.
And I think Chase is the only death. The group of main characters of course survived, but I think they managed to save Talia, Artemis, and that Malcolm dragged Digger off the island.

Sober

Found this one from Reddit:

kKQiA7T.jpg

They're using the same gun.
I was gonna mention that one. I wonder how much of that was intentional by the writers and how much of that was Chase doing so much research to know what gun to bring to off himself to remind Oliver of his father.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Awesome finale, 100% sure no one on the island is dead but everything from Chase telling Oliver he'd see him on the boat to the final dilemma he gave him was really well done, perfect story to wrap up the flashbacks.

Guessing we have some cringey moments ahead of William sneaking out with a tiny bow behind his Dad's back but for the moment I'm glad they wrapped up the Chase story so strongly.

Maddocks

Damn, what a great night for DC, Wonder Woman and Arrow, bravo to them.

Loved the episode, loved the villain. Chase was great, sucks he had to die, but he had to because if he overstayed his welcome that would be terrible. No doubt the long con is Malcolm being the magician finds a way to say some, but not all of them. So whats her face who was in the cage, no doubt she is dead.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought Prometheus and the gun thing would've been a big stretch, but I guess he could've pretty easily looked up what gun Robert or the boat had registered. It's a crazy attention to detail on his part, but he only ever did obsess over the one thing.

Chase was never omnipotent as some mentioned though. He didn't even fare that well in the fight against Oliver. He triumphed through planning, which was always his superpower. Good they didn't repeat the same thing as Ra's and suddenly gave a character an undeserved power lost.

carlsojo

Patiently waiting for someone to cut together the mess that would be all of the flashbacks together in order.

Finale was insane.

morningbus

I thought Prometheus and the gun thing would've been a big stretch, but I guess he could've pretty easily looked up what gun Robert or the boat had registered. It's a crazy attention to detail on his part, but he only ever did obsess over the one thing.

I prefer the version of events where he trawls the ocean floor for the exact gun and painstakingly restores it to working order.

Amazing finale, i just wish there was longer fights between the canaries and the fight between the Ghoul sisters. The only downside of this finally is fucking Olicity. Everytime this is in it brings the whole episode and show down. Fuck them if they are going to go on that route again in season 6.

jb1234

No they said Chase said not to bother trying to recruit him

Ah, okay. Must rewatch. I definitely want more Slade on this show. I didn't think they'd be able to pull off a redemption arc given what the character did but damned if I wasn't onboard.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ah, okay. Must rewatch. I definitely want more Slade on this show. I didn't think they'd be able to pull off a redemption arc given what the character did but damned if I wasn't onboard.

Okay maybe they did.

Evelyn: Adrian said it would be pointless to reach out to you.
Talia: Although given this turn of events, perhaps you've changed your mind?

They way Evelyn says it, sounds like Adrian didn't bother. But Talia says it like Slade was asked and rejected it so I suppose the latter?

morningbus

Slade should never be fully redeemed and be a scoundrel that operates in a black/grey area but has standards, a code, and a heart that can occasionally be moved.

Basically, whatever has him doing Merc stuff and showing up on random episodes of the Flash, Legends, and Arrow with his own agenda.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Amazing finale, i just wish there was longer fights between the canaries and the fight between the Ghoul sisters. The only downside of this finally is fucking Olicity. Everytime this is in it brings the whole episode and show down. Fuck them if they are going to go on that route again in season 6.

It's amazing how y'all go from loving the finale to "fuck season 6" in one paragraph.

jb1234

Okay maybe they did.

They way Evelyn says it, sounds like Adrian didn't bother. But Talia says it like Slade was asked and rejected it so I suppose the latter?

Hrm, pretty ambiguous. I wonder why Chase wouldn't bother? The last we saw Slade, he was still pretty pissed at Oliver.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's amazing how y'all go from loving the finale to "fuck season 6" in one paragraph.

Jesus, what is wrong with you? The vast majority of this thread is celebrating a great episode and you've contributed one post to the discussion before getting back to your complaints about people complaining. You barely even post in these threads when they're positive, why do you still come just to shit on people and never discuss the show itself?

I'm not super down with the whole Olicity hating parade, but what you do is far worse. You're literally just looking for excuses to complain at this point.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Giving us arguably the best season of the show ever generates approximately 30 minutes of goodwill.

giphy.gif

Jesus, what is wrong with you? The vast majority of this thread is celebrating a great episode and you've contributed one post to the discussion before getting back to your complaints about people complaining. You barely even post in these threads when they're positive, why do you still come just to shit on people and never discuss the show itself?

I'm not super down with the whole Olicity hating parade, but what you do is far worse. You're literally just looking for excuses to complain at this point.

Not really, I just find Olicity hatred staggeringly creepy. And it never left Arrow Gaf, every time they hint at it people get irrationally angry and when it was the focus in an S5 episode there was a "show ruined" undercurrent.

But you're right, I should contribute more than that.

It's hard to when I don't watch live and by the time I do most has already been discussed, but hey.. at least this thread is mostly positive. Flash one... sigh.

We got a Crixus and Ashur reunion in this episode and yet Chase still ended up being the most baller thing about the finale.

Whew, best CW verse villain for me by a landslide. Ending was dope. Sad to see adrian go but there was nowhere to really go for him. He would be kinda wack as a recurring villain tbh.

Merlyn: "From the moment you were born all I wanted to do was to protect you."

Yeah, remember that time you drugged her and used her as a pawn in your plan by getting her to murder someone?

WHY DON'T THE CHARACTERS BRING THIS UP?

From S05E23 - Slade tells them to put a gun in Oliver's face

01JePyh.gif

Grabs with his left arm, throws her over his right shoulder. There are a few steps missing in that sequence.

Merlyn: "From the moment you were born all I wanted to do was to protect you."

Yeah, remember that time you drugged her and used her as a pawn in your plan by getting her to murder someone?

WHY DON'T THE CHARACTERS BRING THIS UP?

when it comes to the emotional responses of many of these characters its best to overlook stuff and just ride the wave.

AND she did bring it up, in the very same episode a few minutes later.

Joni

I love she said "you made me kill my friend....... 's sister'. Boy, if Sara was alive to hear that.

Okay maybe they did.

To me, it sounded like they didn't bother asking. And Talia is basically thinking that Chase was wrong on that one.

Slade should never be fully redeemed and be a scoundrel that operates in a black/grey area but has standards, a code, and a heart that can occasionally be moved.

Basically take Deadshot's spot.

carlsojo

Some thoughts:

With how it "ended", it's possible this could be the set up for the events of Star City 2046. The team and Deathstroke are all dead, and Oliver ends up training Diggle's son. Slade's son resurfaces, blames Oliver for Slade's death, and conquers Star City.

This obviously ISN'T what's going to happen, so how do they all escape?

Bullshit time travel via Legends or the Flash which allows Oliver to save everyone?

The team hides in the caves where the idol was hidden in S4?

Supergirl/Superman?

Deus ex Malcom?

ALIENS?

carlsojo

Oh yeah, a few weeks ago Stephen Amell posted on Twitter about talking to James Bamford (stunt director) about doing something crazy for the finale. 99% sure it was Oliver doing that jump punch on chase on the speeding boat because that was dope.

Some thoughts:

With how it "ended", it's possible this could be the set up for the events of Star City 2046. The team and Deathstroke are all dead, and Oliver ends up training Diggle's son. Slade's son resurfaces, blames Oliver for Slade's death, and conquers Star City.

This obviously ISN'T what's going to happen, so how do they all escape?

Bullshit time travel via Legends or the Flash which allows Oliver to save everyone?

The team hides in the caves where the idol was hidden in S4?

Supergirl/Superman?

Deus ex Malcom?

ALIENS?
RAGMAN.

LotusHD

Banned
Man, remembering all the fun times we had with Chase. Remember the time he coldly killed his wife immediately after she found out his identity? I remember...

It's hard to when I don't watch live and by the time I do most has already been discussed, but hey.. at least this thread is mostly positive. Flash one... sigh.

It's possible the thread will become more positive if the next season is actually good.

Zaverious

I feel that everyone except Samantha survived and Oliver's going to raise William now. I hope Digger isn't dead. I'd like him back in action in the Arrowverse soon.

carlsojo

I feel that everyone except Samantha survived and Oliver's going to raise William now. I hope Digger isn't dead. I'd like him back in action in the Arrowverse soon.

Yeah especially since he got fucking nothing to do this episode which is my biggest complaint.

Top Bottom