• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arthur Morgan is the greatest video game protagonist of all time.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
3058593-arthur_portrait.jpg

He is by far my protagonist of the generation if not all time. from his journal, his voice actor's performance, his mannerisms etc. I love him, I remember everyone thought he was going to be some boring generic guy and he turns out to be one of the all time great protagonists. Anyone else fans of good ol Arthur

Really feels like a legit human character, flaws and all....

Hugare

He has great personality. Very endearing.

But his development is all over the place. But thats RDR 2 for you. Its pacing is a mess.

He goes "I dont know, Dutch" pretty early on, but it takes waaay too much time for him to start confronting Dutch. And even then, he still does a lot of shit for Dutch "just 'cause".

John Marston is an already established character in RDR, so his development is limited, but I enjoyed him much more because he stayed true to his character 100% of the game.

My answer would be Marston / Solid Snake / Joel

Probably Solid Snake.

JLB

Banned
3058593-arthur_portrait.jpg

He is by far my protagonist of the generation if not all time. from his journal, his voice actor's performance, his mannerisms etc. I love him, I remember everyone thought he was going to be some boring generic guy and he turns out to be one of the all time great protagonists. Anyone else fans of good ol Arthur

Really feels like a legit human character, flaws and all....

ots hard to say if its the best for me, but easily in my top 5.

Fredrik

I may not like all his choices but yeah I think he’s the most belivable and fully realized game character ever and he’s also in the most living and fully realized game world ever. Can Rockstar top RDR2? We’ll see in 10 years or so.

Yeah, no. To me he's as interesting as a piece of white paper. I felt he was completely devoid of personality and I never grew to care about him. As bland and generic as they get.

John Marston on the other hand, now that's a protagonist! In the first game specifically.

GuinGuin

Banned
He has great personality. Very endearing.

But his development is all over the place. But thats RDR 2 for you. Its pacing is a mess.

He goes "I dont know, Dutch" pretty early on, but it takes waaay too much time for him to start confronting Dutch. And even then, he still does a lot of shit for Dutch "just 'cause".

John Marston is an already established character in RDR, so his development is limited, but I enjoyed him much more because he stayed true to his character 100% of the game.

My answer would be Marston / Solid Snake / Joel

Probably Solid Snake.

Joel isn't a main character. He's a supporting character to Ellie who is the real GOAT. 👌

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
he is a well written character with a fantastic even if cliché arc.
He was the best part of that game 100% and one of best main protagonists

That said, I liked Nathan Drake from uc4 more.
Trico from The Last guardian (it's a stretch so we can ignore since it's not literal protagonist)
Niko from gta iv.
Kratos is also now a crazy good character. He matured and learned.

and... I will get hate for that but Abby from TLOU2. The shit she goes through and how she changes. Similar for Ellie. Not sure if she counts as protagonist though.Anyway - My pick is Niko from gta iv.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The writing in that game is just awful. It legit felt like 20 people wrote it and all disagreed with each other lol

The man watched Dutch drown someone and acted like he just went too far.....after they did a mission where he himself legit killed fitty men. Just fucking stop lol You can't have some shit like this where you try to make a murdering bank robber, this um "nice guy" as he continues to go on missions killing people. It doesn't fucking make sense and becomes laughable. No one is putting a gun to this dumbasses head and FORCING him to do any of this shit. Nothing here comes across as deep or complex as much as it comes across like he is stupid and a follower.

Many already stated this, but its very hard to write something like this in a genre and series known for its freedom and free agency given to the player. You can write a character that is this nice, humble and peaceful person all day, but you can't really then give the player all the freedom to literally contradict that idea. Make a linear, or limited game and it makes much more sense, but once the option to rob and murder people is put into missions, it hurts that whole narrative.

Let me be as evil or as peaceful as I want to be and save the pre-written character for something else.

Deeply missed opportunity.

Droxcy

His progression was fantastic really wished his story continued or his realized the madness happening sooner. Definitely one of my favorite characters I’ve played ever.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The writing in that game is just awful. It legit felt like 20 people wrote it and all disagreed with each other lol

Yup, and it’s not like he’s just defending himself either, he’s out there killing innocent people nonstop. Dumb motherfucker too, it’s weird how many people see themselves in him.

mcjmetroid

Controls like a human of unremarkable athletic ability. Which was probably the right way for him to control.
ugh don't know. I'm not saying he has to control like Sekiro but the input lag and the weightness to the character made it very unenjoyable to me.

He's a cool character though no denying that.

Top Bottom