• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arthur Morgan is the greatest video game protagonist of all time.

Arachnid

TzJrb5p.gif

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my least favorite thread on Neogaf

Quasicat

If we are looking at main protagonists, yes he’s up there. Looking at a game series full of protagonists, I would look at Mass Effect:

F6mrywv.jpg

There are just so many awesome characters. Garrus goes with me everywhere. Tali is usually there too, but the dialogue changes between them depending on whether her and I are already involved. There’s also Jack, Mordin, Wrex, even Joker make the list of the best protagonists, all in the same game/series.

D3SCHA1N

He's an idiot for following around his boss who didn't have a clue. He should have ditched Dutch after the first 2 hours. He's the third best RDR protagonist after John and Jack Marston. The first game was just soooo much better.
I was somewhat willing to agree with you until you suggested Jack Marston was a better protag....

junguler

Banned
if the only game you have ever played is read dead 2 i can accept that answer because you just don't know any better.

mortal

Gold Member
I wouldn't go as far as saying THE greatest, but certainly one of the most interesting protagonists I've ever played as.
The 2 months I was playing RDR2 after work really felt like I was living a second life as this outlaw. I love how much it bordered on being an RPG at times.

xBlueStonex

if the only game you have ever played is read dead 2 i can accept that answer because you just don't know any better.
I have been gaming since '95. Arthur is the best protagonist I have ever played, and RDR2 is one of the best experiences I've ever had, regardless of medium.

Arthur is a very convincing video game character, you can empathize all the struggles that would happen on a real outlaw in his age. I especially love how Rockstar handed out the tidbit about his past, the tragedy of his wife and son and how it shaped him for what he is now.

hyperbertha

People with these opinions either only play western made games, or have only been gaming for 5 years. I thought Arthur's arc wasn't very compelling at all.

Kerotan

One of the best for sure but revolver ocelot is on another level. Both of them started off similar. Young men working for an organisation. Arthur got walked all over, whereas ocelot looked like he did but in reality he knew what was up and out played his superiors time and time again. You're... pretty... good... Arthur but you're no Ocelot!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
He is by far my protagonist of the generation if not all time. from his journal, his voice actor's performance, his mannerisms etc. I love him, I remember everyone thought he was going to be some boring generic guy and he turns out to be one of the all time great protagonists. Anyone else fans of good ol Arthur
Congratulations to everyone. My vote goes to Snake. Dutch was good though.

decisions

Amazing message LMAO

Hey kids remember to try and be a good person when you know your days are numbered!

*farts*

I mean you can be reductive and immature about anything. Any great story has a simple theme, but the way that theme is expressed is what makes it great.

RDR2 does an amazing job of making the player empathize with Arthur and change their behavior along with him.

In the beginning I wanted to do what’s best for the gang, in the end I was less a gang member and more just about doing right by God, so I made sure to do every sidequest I could so that I could do as much good as I could before the end. The way the characters were written to handle this character shift has simply never been done to this level in gaming ever before. It’s absolutely commendable.

Anyways not sure why I gave you a serious response since you gave that of a 10-year old troll, but maybe someone else will read this.

Woggleman

Certainly one of them. He was also loyal to Dutch because there are a lot of complicated feelings when you follow somebody who pretty much raised you and was the only family you have ever known. He thought he could still steer Dutch in a better direction until the end when it became about getting John and his family out.

MrS

Banned
I hope that isn't how your Arthur looked. If you weren't rocking a Father John Misty beard you were playing it wrong.

Qy4s6LP.jpg
I've met FJM and his beard isn't that long. That right there is some ZZ Top shit.

On topic, Big Boss says hi

Last edited:

catvonpee

He was great, but I don't think the greatest of all-time. If I had to pick one it would be Leon S Kennedy from RE4.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
While I enjoyed watching him grow and change into a better, if not good person, his naivete in following an obvious dunce like Dutch around for so long is almost unbelievable.

After taking in the events of both games, John Marston comes out looking like a much, much better protagonist.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree.
I guess, but he has objectively and factually been a protagonist numerous times. He's starred in his own games, what would that make him?

That's not even just my opinion, it's just objective truth. A character who stars in his own games would be the protagonist in those games. I don't see how that could be argued. Who's the protagonist in Yoshi's Story then, Carl Johnson?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
While I enjoyed watching him grow and change into a better, if not good person, his naivete in following an obvious dunce like Dutch around for so long is almost unbelievable.

After taking in the events of both games, John Marston comes out looking like a much, much better protagonist.
I feel like it's both. Arthur is the best Protagonist of RDR2, but I think John is the best Protagonist of the series of that makes sense. Arthur popped up out of nowhere and stole hearts. Meanwhile John was a known character that everyone liked to begin with. But if you take Arthur at his best and John at his best I would personally take Arthur.

Also for the Record John would be in my Top 5. So it's not like I am leaving him out to dry.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I would say Roger Clark’s performance, for motion capture and voice acting, is what elevates his character to the best to date.

Some folks point out how unbelievable Arthur is for sticking with Dutch, but that in itself is silly to suggest. Human beings do irrational, illogical things all the time. Loyalty is exploited by bad faith actors even as we speak (see: politics). Arthur sticking with Dutch through thick and thin and only realizing he was used and cast aside when it’s way too late is a tale as old as time. Everyone goes through that at different points in their life.

Södy

He's an idiot for following around his boss who didn't have a clue. He should have ditched Dutch after the first 2 hours. He's the third best RDR protagonist after John and Jack Marston. The first game was just soooo much better.

It wasn't just his boss, he saw him as a father. Hard to unfollow them that easily. He does in the end which the game is about, how the gang falls apart.

Top Bottom