• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a physical disc collector, digital convenience is hurting me.

These threads are always pointless. It's just a bunch of pro physical people getting angry at pro digital people for the slow demise of physical media.

Chinbo37

For me personally I am all digital on PC and physical on consoles and mobile.

PC I never buy games day one and always wait for huge discounts. Also phyiscal isnt really an option.

As soon as I am forced to buy console games digitally (or basically near forced) then I will do so, and I will also wait for bigger discounts as I do on PC.

Ossom

You're talking consoles, right? Because I pre-ordered Mafia III digital for £22 on PC. No physical was anywhere near that at the time.

Yes, I am. PC prices are fantastic and frequently represent the difference in production and sales costs between digital and physical. Once console catches up I will be more inclined to buy new releases digital.

TrutaS

I buy physical because it's cheaper. Also I only play on game at a time and rarely go back to replay, so I rarely change discs between games. So I would only go digital if the prices were better, which ridiculously they are not.

Some people say physical is pointless, because you need to download a (day 1)patch and install anyway.
But that's not true.
99% of my PS4 games are running just fine from start to finish, even without downloading the patch.

Many patches are even just fixing problems and bugs you might not even encounter in your playthrough.
Sure, there are extreme cases where a game was in a broken and incomplete state on disc, but how many games are like this? The one Medal Of Honor game comes to my mind.

I got 45 physical PS4 games, and every single one of them is playable from start to finish, without downloading a patch.

To say they are in price collusion implies a conspiratorial act against consumers.
And also, it's not a duopoly, since there's more players, Nintendo in particular.

But moreover...

The Sherman Anti-Trust Act can't be enforced without proof of artificial restriction. Humble Bundle offering keys for games on these services would indicate the opposite. To prove there is a monopoly, you would first have to provide evidence that another company has attempted to offer a comparable service and was denied the right to. And if you think 3rd-parties weren't interested in keeping Sony, Microsoft and Sony's cut of digital sales for themselves, then you can't really argue that you have "reality" on your side when you're talking about companies who have done everything humanly imaginable to increase their bottom lines.

As I said in the post you quoted that you clipped out, neither of us have the means to prove our points as valid at this time. I thought the point above went without saying, I was clearly mistaken.

And the law can't be so toothless when Apple, the example I mentioned, already lost one antitrust lawsuit over ebooks and is open and exposed to another over their App Store, which makes it an awfully perfect comparison to the point at hand. If there were collusion as you suggest, there's plenty of precedent in this arena to bring it before a court.

If we want to have a purely academic or legal discussion we can certainly do that. However, where the rubber meets the road, PSN and XBL are working market monopolies (or at best a collusional duopoly), with regards to pricing. There is *no other way* to (officially) acquire digital products through either platform. There's no need for conspiracy theories... This is a matter of common knowledge and operational fact for both companies.

Re: Nintendo, they're in their own alternate market (some might say alternate reality) for the most part, with very little if any software crossover or online/digital presence to speak of. Using Ninty as a way to bolster your argument that "a duopoly doesn't exist" because Nintendo gives people a "third choice" is laughable. Most (nearly all) 3rd party games aren't available on their platform and none of their games are available on either of the other two platforms. Ninty has virtually zero impact on either Sony's or Microsoft's online market or bottom line. That's an even weaker argument than trying to claim there is actual digital price competition between MS and Sony.

As an aside, we might be able to argue that hardware sales/user base and related physical game "attachment numbers" may have an up front effect on the gaming population pool's available disposable income to make digital purchases over time within each ecosystem. But that's a pretty flimsy argument for the existence of "price competition". Rather, that's more of an aggregate metric that could be used to gauge a publisher's willingness to allow a particular game to go on sale on one platform but not the other due to one ecosystem having less customers making digital purchases.

With that in mind, only a tiny minority/niche market of gamers/families who own both (or all 3) consoles per gen even have a *choice* where to buy their games digitally. And, contrary to your claim, most families can't just go out and buy a competitor's hardware because, for example, "game X" is $5 cheaper during a seasonal sale. That's ridiculous. IRL, the vast majority of gamers can't choose to buy a game from either marketplace - they're "stuck" with one. You're engaging in magical thinking here, as if you actually believe these platforms offer consumers products within a perfectly competitive, perfectly fluid market, which is just nonsense because they all run walled gardens.

Re: The Sherman Anti-Trust Act, again you demonstrate a fine academic grasp without acknowledging that IRL *barrier to entry* performs the relevant function. The cost of entering the console gaming business (or, say, competing with Apple's music biz) is prohibitive. Neither Sony nor Microsoft need actively / "artificially" prevent other players from entering to, indeed, have de facto monopoly/duopoly *pricing* power. Neither company need act like a "villain" for a form of price collusion to be true. Its called market momentum and it's very real.

Now, if we want to shift this discussion towards whether or not either company could be *proven* in a court of law to have violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act then, yes, the burden of proof is raised. But, as much or more than the facts, politics and hefty bags of lobbyist cash play a huge role in pushing (or *pushing aside*) actual litigation (as an aside, I suggest you take a closer look at the Apple case as the current and likely end result is much ado about nothing. The fact remains that if you want to find anti-trust action with any teeth whatsoever since the late 70s you have to look to Europe, because it ain't happenin here).

Though it'd be naive in the extreme to assume either company hasn't conducted themselves in ways that, at the very least, openly flirt with illegality at times (Microsoft has infamously been under the microscope for decades for how they've conducted themselves in a monopolistic manner with regards to the OS division, with zero actual ramifications in the States)...we're not talking about the likelihood of legal battles in a highly politically contentious environment where who is pursued has more to do with whether or not they play ball than if they're breaking the law. What we're talking about is *effective monopoly* power over game pricing by limiting who has access to game keys. Your point about Humble Bundle keys seemingly makes no sense and is diametrically opposed to the your own argument. Its simple: If we have official 3rd party avenues to acquire game codes on either platform then *that* opens up competition. It's at least part of the reason why Steam is a superior platform for digital sales from the perspective of the consumer...because Steam hasn't locked out other ways of buying products on its service...and *this* is what creates actual price competition.

The only convenience and advantages from digital are no disc swapping and a midnight release is sometimes guaranteed but if there is no preload then it's kind of useless.

While physical has more advantages such as reselling, lending to friends (without having to give out your personal info), physical bonuses (maps, reversible covers etc), and having the peace of mind that digital rights won't be revoked (especially with licensed games). Not to mention If you have to make hard drive space by deleting some games it's easier and faster to install from disc than download and use your monthly cap. Plus as many stated physical releases are cheaper due to programs like GCU but even when games go on sale after launch they are always cheaper at retail while digital takes much longer to drop in price.

The advantages for physical outweigh digital for me way too much, maybe over time more benefits will come from digital but for now it isn't worth it to me. Everyone is different so it's nice to have options.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Reselling will be the main thing that keeps me physical. It's not even the money per se sometimes. It's nice to be able to get a "bad taste out of your mouth" by selling off a game you ended up not liking. I'd probably be much less annoyed with Gravity Rush 2 after forcing myself to finish it if I'd bought physically so I could sell it off. Hell, I'd be less bitter as I'd probably have quit halfway through and sold it instead of forcing myself through it. At least I bought it with PSN credit from gifts rather than cash out of pocket I guess.

I do love the convenience of digital, but I need to stick to my "rules" I posted earlier and only buy certain types of games digitally--namely things I'm sure to like and will play long enough that I don't care about resell value (as that would tank by the time I'm done). As well as anything I care about graphics/performance enough to want to play on PC instead of console.

Greedings

The only convenience is no disc swapping

To me this is a HUGE thing.

I have a lot of games I like to play regularly. I switch between multiplayer, single player, arcade-style games all day.

When I swap discs, I finish the game, take it out and rarely ever put it back in again. With no discs I have replayed games, sometimes more than 2 replays, simply because it's so easy to do, and I'm the kind of person who never replayed games before.

I get much better value for money from digital games.

Also the other convenience you forgot is physical space. My WiiU started off as physical, and I have 10 or so games that I constantly have to find a place for. It sucks. My PS4 is one box, with everything inside of it. No bullshit lying around or filling drawers.

mindatlarge

I'm in a similar boat as the op. Physical copies are my preference though I do love the convenience that digital copies give you.

Nosgotham

Digital is less convenient to me. Especially if something happens to your console and you have to redownload everything. I'd rather just have a disc, cart and plug it into any system.

I'll go all digital on console the day when it stops being more expensive to go physical and the PlayStation Store stops being shit. The PS Store isn't convenient, I only have a couple of digital games on my PS4.

PC is a different story.

I'll go all digital on console the day when it stops being more expensive to go physical and the PlayStation Store stops being shit. The PS Store isn't convenient, I only have a couple of digital games on my PS4.

PC is a different story.

Why is the PlayStation store not convenient?

krang

I find digital distribution is disgusting for all forms of entertainment incl video games. Go out to the store and buy the games yourself like the old days! 😡😡😡

Thankfully I dont see it taking over and killing physicals in our lifetime like some will have you believe, if music vinyls are still going strong for example

Alright, grandad.

shandy706

They will try to make up excuses but at the end of the day it is laziness.

Get over yourself.

Some of us have incredibly busy lives. There's nothing lazy about it unless a person literally does it JUST so they don't have to "get up" and move around to get a disc.

Even then, the person could be incredibly successfully and work out 6 days a week and then just want their gaming to be simple and quick.

You've gone from possibly having an argument to being a prick about it. You have your preference. Someone else having a different one doesn't mean you can define the reason behind it ;).

Raw64life

I'm not willing to spend more money and give up my consumer rights for the sake of temporary convenience. I only buy digital on PC and the last time I spent more than $20 on a PC game was Mass Effect 3 and I regretted it. That's as high as I'm willing to pay for a temporary license.

Digital is less convenient to me. Especially if something happens to your console and you have to redownload everything. I'd rather just have a disc, cart and plug it into any system.

Exactly. Digital is only more convenient if you're the kind of person who doesn't ever plan to sell or trade games, and doesn't mind being given just a license to play a game rather than owning property, a license that may or may not expire X years down the line.

Decided to buy Uncharted 4 while it's on sale on PSN, during my lunch break. It's downloading as we speak and will be ready to play before I get home. That's the kind of convenience I like when buying digital.

Why is the PlayStation store not convenient?
It's a pain to navigate, it's slow, it takes forever to download anything, and this last one is personal but it won't add PayPal funds to my account from my PS4 so I have to go on the website and do it that way. It's just another hurdle.

ViolentP

I have learned to loathe physical media as it is cumbersome and inconvenient. I've pretty much gone all digital in games and movies. Only thing I still collect physically however is my books. Nostalgia seems to go a long way with them.

univbee

Being able to pick between the two is really great, as they each have their pros and cons and you don't necessarily have to go "all in" one way or another.

I personally prefer digital, but then I have unlimited gigabit internet and other solutions in place which make my absurdly large collection a LOT more manageable than via physical media. I've also learned the hard way that physical media is a bit more fragile than some people will admit, I have a few early Blu-rays and DVD's that were well stored and actually had the adhesive fall apart slightly, rendering the discs unreadable. Digital hasn't been smooth sailing either but at least as far as Steam, XBL and PSN are concerned nothing I paid money for has ever been revoked or otherwise stopped working short of something like the game's online servers being taken down, and no amount of sealed physical copies will stop that.

BasilZero

I still buy games physically on console unless it's a rare game but if everything went digital I wouldn't mind.

100% digital in PC though.

Thankfully the only thing other than my laptop that I would take in traveling is my 3DS and the cards are small and there are boxes that let you carry multiple cards.

Zedox

I find it funny people calling digital instant swapping laziness. How many of you go to the TV to change channels instead of use a remote? How many of you choose to have your controllers wired (via usb) instead of wireless? Do you walk to work everyday instead of using a vehicle (I have, but that was trying to work out...lololol)? Technology is there to make lives more convenient. Calling people lazy when something is there is just stupid.

I bet 100% that if you guys calling people lazy had the original Xbox One (buy physical but get perks of digital) plan minus the DRM/Connectivity portion you would be happy and have no quarrels or calling people lazy.
</rant>

I like some of the physical collectors stuff but still want digital games (I wish I could get the sonic mania collectors edition...just...life. LOL)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I stopped buying physical after my boys got into the toddler stage and taught me a lesson about life.

Now if I'm buying a physical copy it will be old carts or Nintendo games. Is there really a point to having GTA or R6 on disc?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pain to navigate, it's slow, it takes forever to download anything, and this last one is personal but it won't add PayPal funds to my account from my PS4 so I have to go on the website and do it that way. It's just another hurdle.

All true. But to be fair you should just shop on the website as it's a ton better than the console storefront. Even when I'm sitting in front of my console I'll grab my iPad and hit the website when I want to buy something. Usually I just buy things from a pc and have it download to my PS4 so it's ready to go next time I'm ready to play.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Some people say physical is pointless, because you need to download a (day 1)patch and install anyway.
But that's not true.
99% of my PS4 games are running just fine from start to finish, even without downloading the patch.

Many patches are even just fixing problems and bugs you might not even encounter in your playthrough.
Sure, there are extreme cases where a game was in a broken and incomplete state on disc, but how many games are like this? The one Medal Of Honor game comes to my mind.

I got 45 physical PS4 games, and every single one of them is playable from start to finish, without downloading a patch.
Its a stupid argument
"Oh you have to download a patch" versus downloading the the whole game with the patch.
Most of us that buy on disc have both game and patch installed 18 hours before digital only buyers can even start their nice 40gb+download.
even if you timed them from download to disc insert, the guy with the disc will be playing the game first.
The benefit is launching the game if it installed, and That's more laziness then anything.
it is more convenient having it on disc.

Storing those physical games though is a different story

Chastten

Banned
Disk swapping isn't really an issue for me as I'll play a single game until I finish it. After that, it's unlikely I'll ever return to it.

Obviously there are a handful of multiplayer games that don't follow this rule, but even then, I swap like two or three times in an evening, when someone else is getting the drinks or snacks. Hardly an inconvenience.

I prefer cheaper games over that tiny bit of added convenience any day of the week.

TGO

I'm not sure I get the convenience arguement, you literally just get up and put a disc in.
I said it before it's more of an inconvenience to download the whole game vs putting the disc in and downloading a patch.
Having it physical which installs fast is a convenience, not having to spend a few seconds putting in a disc is more laziness.

Zedox

The benefit is launching the game if it installed, and That's more laziness then anything.

Did you really just call preloading laziness? My god.

I'm not sure I get the convenience arguement, you literally just get up and put a disc in.

For me, I have ~140+ games installed on my XBO, and I don't know what game I really want to play so I'll start playing one game and switch to another and another and another until I find something that i'm really in the mood for. Doing that physically is tedious (just as it is tedious for me switching in the first place) but it is convenient that I don't have to "get up and put a disc in" and I have a small apartment, I don't have space to put that many disc boxes around. Shit I have like 30 pairs of chuck taylors and I had to put that in storage because of space (gotta leave room for the wife).

You may not understand how it is convenient because of your situation, try to understand others. Dude above said he had kids, apparently one of them broke a game disc. A way to protect that is just having it digital compared to having to "hide it" (and damn you gotta hide shit from kids). If you can understand people's different situations, you can understand why people like it.

That's only true if you have few discs laying around next to your console or you play one game at a session. I have a big collection on a shelf away from the console. Even in a different room because I have two PS4's. So a digital library is much more convenient than getting up, sometimes going downstairs, and looking for a game to play every ~15 minutes sometimes while playing multiplayer games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

How often do you change games? A lot of people are bouncing back and forth between 5+ games most evenings with playing a few rounds of various MP games and whatever single player stuff they're chipping away at.

Changing discs that often isn't difficult, but does get annoying. Thus I buy most mp games, pick up and play games etc. digitally so i can easily switch among them. Single player one and done stuff I usually buy physical and sell after beating unless I want it on PC. I only play one of those type of games at a time so that can stay in the disc drive while I'm playing it and mixing in some mp games or pick up and play games digitally.

I would feel more strongly about this if I jumped around more on console, but I find I tend to play one console game at a time. The worst it's ever gotten is actually very recent, as I had reasons to play Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Final Fantasy XV during this time period (FFXV because I haven't finished it yet, plus the Moogle Festival; Gravity Rush 2 for Dusty Tokens and to maybe get the platinum; Yakuza 0 because I'm playing through the campaign right now). Generally, it's PC where I tend to juggle games, and though I often have multiple games running I tend to stick to one per platform.

The other issue is storage. I have a 5TB drive in my PC dedicated to music and games. I suppose I could do that with Xbox One/PS4 but at best that means an external drive, which is kind of clunky.

I said it before it's more of an inconvenience to download the whole game vs putting the disc in and downloading a patch.
Having it physical which installs fast is a convenience, not having to spend a few seconds putting in a disc is more laziness.

This is basically how I feel, though I hesitate to call it outright laziness since, honestly, I like the digital "convenience" factor too. :) I prefer physical to install the game and to scratch my collector itch. But I love the juke-box factor of having some games on digital as well. Having a choice is the best of both worlds and my collection reflects that.

The only thing that annoys me about these discussions are how many of the "digital future" guys think everyone has gigabit internet and don't mind paying significantly higher prices for games most of the time. The existence of overall higher digital pricing - even with physical prices being a lot lower most of the time and providing some modicum of downward price pressure - is a fact. As are slow net speeds and/or data caps for millions. The internet infrastructure in the US in particular is really poor and can't support an "all digital" model in its current state.

TGO

Technology exists to service our laziness. People in this thread keep touting it like it's a bad thing. If I can avoid something that I feel is an inconvenience then why wouldn't I?
I agree there's just no other way to describe it, it's a physical act vs having to wait
One is an inconvenience the other tends to tip towards the other.

Technology exists to service our laziness. People in this thread keep touting it like it's a bad thing. If I can avoid something that I feel is an inconvenience then why wouldn't I?

True, but keep in mind this is also true in reverse: For many millions with slow net speed and/or data caps, the act of downloading a game is a *major* inconvenience (even total barrier at times). In these cases, physical discs are the technology that alleviates this annoyance and helps avoid the inconvenience. There's a demand and place for both to co-exist. Until everyone has access to gigabit fiber, physical discs are here to stay in niche form at the very least (Hint: Gigabit for all ain't happening anytime soon).

True, but keep in mind this is also true in reverse: For many millions with slow net speed and/or data caps, the act of downloading a game is a *major* inconvenience (even total barrier at times). In these cases, physical discs are the technology that alleviates this annoyance and helps avoid the inconvenience. There's a demand and place for both to co-exist. Until everyone has access to gigabit fiber, physical discs are here to stay in niche form at the very least (Hint: Gigabit for all ain't happening anytime soon).

That's fine, I'm not here telling anyone that digital is the only way to go, just giving my reasons for why I prefer it.

I was physical only at the start of this generation, but the rise of PSN sales and a desire to de-clutter my life (I really don't see the value in having a bunch of plastic cases hanging around my apartment/taking of space on my bookshelf that would be better served for actual books) has pushed me to all digital. I don't mind paying a bit more (assuming I buy a game at launch, which is rare) so that I don't have to deal with a bunch of crap down the line.

TGO

Especially this, I have the For Honor Beta and got my brother to download it.....he is still downloading it.
took him 5 days to download modern warfare remastered.

Syrus

Banned
I have a rule. If the game is 15 or under Ill buy physical , otherwise all digital. Onlu have like 7 physical discs this gen.

I also stopped pre ordering becausr many games go unplayed and could have been cheaper when I did play em

Jimrpg

I mentioned before, but many of the vita digital pricing is far better than the vita physical pricing. It totally sucks. On the one hand I want the physical version, and will happily wait the 3 weeks for it to be delivered, on the other hand, when the digital version is like 50% BETTER than the physical (like $10 for the digital and $20 for the physical) it gets hard to justify. I really don't know what to do. Physical is a lot of trouble. PLUS my latest game Yakuza 0 is 1 week past what it normally takes to get delivered, it might be lost. I've waited 23 days for it to be delivered and many people have finished the game already. I should have just purchased the digital version.

ViolentP

The level of convenience is marginal. But disregarding the install times that could frankly be a nightmare on either digital or physical, it is evident which of the two options ekes out in the convenience argument.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You may not understand how it is convenient because of your situation, try to understand others. Dude above said he had kids, apparently one of them broke a game disc. A way to protect that is just having it digital compared to having to "hide it" (and damn you gotta hide shit from kids). If you can understand people's different situations, you can understand why people like it.
I'd put it at more like 20 broken, ringed, and otherwise destroyed discs. I enjoyed finding Halo 3 on the roof, Dreamcast filled with Rice Krispies, disc tray ripped out of the 360.

They are 7 and 9 now, and you still find them doing the old pile of CDs/DVDs thing. We all did it back in the 90s because we were stoned and it was too much work to look through cases, right?

SMD

My entire collection is digital and with the touch of a button i can back up all my games to an external drive. I can set the console as my home console and play my games offline till the end of time.

I can even set up multiple consoles as home systems and they can all have my games installed with patches.

Digital is much easier an option if long term preservation is your thing

This is really not true. Transferring from one console to another is a fucking pain in the arse if it's not the Xbox One, plus the pain of activation and deactivation isn't as simple as setting up multiple as home systems.

Also touch of a button, hahaha have you actually done the back up? It was quicker reinstalling from disk.

Top Bottom