• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asexual characters in gaming

Ancirawr

I think it's been stated in an interview somewhere that Miles Edgeworth from the Ace Attorney series isn't into women. Now, the popular interpretation of that is that he's gay, but considering the lack of a REAL romance
(sorry Phoenix)
over the course of 10 in-universe years, him being asexual/aromantic makes a lot more sense.

Oh awesome I didn't know that! I definitely still like him with Phoenix but ace makes sense too.

For me I always took Mordin from Mass Effect to be on the asexual spectrum. He says in a conversation that he gets advances all the time and that he's not interested. He seems almost intellectually curious more than anything about humans. Sure he's had sex, but that doesn't necessarily speak for attraction. Salarians seem to mate out of necessity based on lore in game. Although that gets thrown out the window when Sha'ira is involved.

mass-effect-mordin-solus-portrait.jpg

Nicky Ali

NiGHTS is male and identifies as such. This much was confirmed by the Sega/Archie partnership in the 90s.

Ummm no? Archie stuff doesn't mean anything.

Jesus Christ stop using Archie as proof for anything canon.

Nights not being a he or a she is one of the first things you learn about Nights, in page number 5 of the game's user manual no less.

UaxafXW_d.jpg

Just want to add to this; here's a quote directly from Takashi Iizuka, designer for Nights into Dreams:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2007/12/interview_takashi_iizuka_talks_nights

LordKasual

Banned
It feels like 343i injected a little "romance" between Cortana and Master Chief, but maybe I misinterpreted those awkward cutscenes.

No, the difference between the two of them from Halo 1-3 to Halo 4 was indeed a bit odd.

it's almost as if the game wanted you to have a sexual attraction to her.

Leon is pretty into Ada and Carlos is often flirty with Jill in RE3. Steve in CV too but you can argue Steve was a teenager so that's .. expected I guess.

Oh boy. I really want to link that one old mashup video with sound bites from the original RE1 but I don't want to search at work. I'm sure some of you know exactly which video I'm talking about.

Isn't there an image of Carlos and Jill on a ship post RE3? I think it implied they were briefly together or something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't there an image of Carlos and Jill on a ship post RE3? I think it implied they were briefly together or something.

Yep.

But the status of those images as canon is shaky at best, RE2 had this:

and we know for a fact that Sherry was taken by the US government after RE2 and Leon never got to work with the RPD. At best, these are just fan-service images.

GoldStarz

Gundam Tanaka in DanganRonpa 2 has the reveal that he's touch-averse in his FTEs. Not a straight-up admission, but you could probably take that from it.

I knew I was gay before I even knew what gay meant, and I was a kid.

What now.

I definitely felt things when near certain boys. Not to mention all the shirtless men you'd see in Mexican novelas.

I can relate so much to this entire post. lol. Especially the bolded part.

OmegaX

Oh awesome I didn't know that! I definitely still like him with Phoenix but ace makes sense too.

For me I always took Mordin from Mass Effect to be on the asexual spectrum. He says in a conversation that he gets advances all the time and that he's not interested. He seems almost intellectually curious more than anything about humans. Sure he's had sex, but that doesn't necessarily speak for attraction. Salarians seem to mate out of necessity based on lore in game. Although that gets thrown out the window when Sha'ira is involved.
Salarians basically live dog years but unlike dogs, they are super intelligent and they know their lives won't be long enough to do everything they want to do. I'm sure most sentient beings in their position would dismiss romance.

yunbuns

Vivi is small because he's a prototype model of black mage, not because he's a child. This is explained in game. Like all other black mages, he's presumably created fully formed and will not physically grow or mature. Though he lacks knowledge, it's incredibly unlikely he'd "learn" a sex drive, as libido is intrinsic. Vivi is also male, both in identity and physically given that one scene with Zidane.

When you consider all these things, I think the most reasonable conclusion is that Vivi is asexual. Just because
all black mages are probably asexual
it doesn't change that he fits the definition.

In the FFIX Ultimania he is considered to be the age 'nine' physically despite only being alive for a couple of months. Based on the way he talks/thinks about certain subjects as well as his interactions with Puck and Eiko, it seems pretty clear that he is meant to be 'younger' than the other black mages and have a child-like mentality. I'm not disagreeing on whether or not he could be asexual but just I feel that he is intended to be the equivalent of a child.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I honestly can't think of many. I guess Rock from Mega Man? Not that he ever really interacts much with female characters that aren't family (with perhaps the sole exception Kalinka and Centaur Man in Arika's manga). And then there's the whole being a robot thing, but that doesn't really stop Ice Man from pining after Roll... then again, neither does the whole family thing. Anyways, point is robots want to bone other robots even in the classic series. Mega Man doesn't really, I don't think.

Did X ever have love interest? I remember Zero did, but X never really showed any interest in any sexual relation besides his obvious infatuation with the concept of ~peace~.

Resident Evil is a universe where everyone wants to bone but no one does.

We know for a fact that Leon and Ada have done it at least once.

In the FFIX Ultimania he is considered to be the age 'nine' physically despite only being alive for a couple of months. Based on the way he talks/thinks about certain subjects as well as his interactions with Puck and Eiko, it seems pretty clear that he is meant to be 'younger' than the other black mages and have a child-like mentality. I'm not disagreeing on whether or not he could be asexual but just I feel that he is intended to be the equivalent of a child.

While I agree with the premise that Vivi is meant to be "childlike" I maintain that this is distinct from being an actual child that will grow and mature. Vivi was manufactured with a physical body that resembles a kid, but he's probably not going to develop further unless he's a strange exception to the other black mages in that particular regard. Though he appears to be a child and acts like a child, he isn't meaningfully more or less of a child than the rest of his race. They're described to be basically dolls that are born "as they are" and don't have a childhood. To me, this makes him asexual, and his entire race seems to be asexual as well due to their nature regardless of whether or not they have childlike bodies.

While Vivi could be asexual I guess, my take on it is that he is like a 10 year old kid, maybe younger than that so I doubt he would even have sexual feelings anyway.

10 year olds were molesting comic books on the buss when I was 9 bro.

I didnt develop sexual interests until I was in middle school myself ( but I always liked girls)

Asexuals can still fall in love. But I didn't see Chief falling in love with Cortana. It's more of him expressing deep sadness for losing his one and only friend that understood him.
?
Isnt sexuality controlled by chemical expression though

Vibranium

Banned
Edgeworth for sure. His love is justice.

The entire Resident Evil cast

The official Biohazard 2 guidebook states that Leon had a girlfriend before Resident Evil 2, who he had to break up with before moving to the city. He got really drunk at a motel due to being depressed, which is why he overslept and missed out on all hell breaking loose in Raccoon City.

Kamiya has also confirmed this.

Is that jennifer lawrence

Yes it is. I didn't know I was gay until I was a teenager because I didn't feel sexually attracted to anyone being a kid.

Vivi is just a kid, who doesn't really know much about anything (including himself), let alone sex.

I mean.... you got attached to people though right?

I mean I had discriminating interests or attachments or preferences for girls since I was 4.

But I still didnt feel sexual feelings until I was a pre-teen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ULTRA sigh about these two posts... because they are sadly true... I want straight female protagonists to develop romance already...
You're right, this weirdly seems super-rare. The only example I can think of is Chloe from Uncharted, which was previously in a relationship with Drake, but has only now become a playable character. So even my example is somewhat stretching it.

Top Bottom