• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

Omigod y'all there's another dog/cat eating thread about Chyna in the OT.

lulz

But she died years ago...oh you meant the country.

Joking aside those threads end up the same way. As though every single piece of food in China was somebody's pet and they're just waiting to trick some poor unsuspecting tourist into eating it for the hell of it.

MsKrisp

Yo, how do you guys deal with all the casually racist bullshit on GAF (and the rest of the internet)? Replying to that thread has consumed my whole day but the racist (and seemingly obliviously so) posts just keep coming.

Hey you're fighting the good fight in there! (but yeah be careful of tone or you could get banned)

Eventually you have to stop replying and walk away, because as soon as one leaves, another will enter.

Goofalo

Yo, how do you guys deal with all the casually racist bullshit on GAF (and the rest of the internet)? Replying to that thread has consumed my whole day but the racist (and seemingly obliviously so) posts just keep coming.

I mutter to myself as I clean my guns and check on my ammo stockpile.

HA.

I mean, its the internet and I feel at the very least, the anonymity of it, even amongst populations you kind assumed were more educated or intelligent, was really let me know exactly how racist people are. Its more than I thought when I was younger, which is sad, but it allows me to set more realistic expectations for people.

I wonder if it forces me back into my echo chamber of wanting to only surround myself with like minded people, but it isn't that either. Better to constantly expose myself to that sort of ugliness so I know when to be mad and when to just shake my head.

vern

It's always amazing to me how many people don't know shit about the world they live in or about people that are different then them. Also amazing the complete lack of empathy or even trying to understand. Most people could stand to get a one way plane ticket somewhere and learn a little bit.

I saw your post in that thread! I giggled, especially at the stirfried puppy part.

Also, I've been banned multiple times on GAF, some related to me getting pissed about the casual racism. You live and let go. Just wait until you're not a junior anymore before getting banned, otherwise it's probably perm.

I mean, I think some of us deal with it by creating an Asian GAF thread where we can bitch about these things, but if you try this IRL you'll probably get the whole "Asians just wanna hang with other Asians" shit so at a certain point I guess we say c'est la vie, fuck the rest!

(Welcome btw :D)

Hey you're fighting the good fight in there! (but yeah be careful of tone or you could get banned)

Eventually you have to stop replying and walk away, because as soon as one leaves, another will enter.

Seriously, it's like a revolving door of ignorance in that thread. You address one guy's racist point, and then another person jumps in with something outrageous.

Ugh I hope I don't end up getting banned. I've had this account for like 10 years now, since I was in high school haha. I usually just lurk for gaming news, but I've started posting in response to all the casually racist stuff I see pop up here from time to time.

Backslashbunny - I actually remember when Asian-GAF was first created! I was there in the beginning too : ) Edit: In this thread!

I mutter to myself as I clean my guns and check on my ammo stockpile.

HA.

I mean, its the internet and I feel at the very least, the anonymity of it, even amongst populations you kind assumed were more educated or intelligent, was really let me know exactly how racist people are. Its more than I thought when I was younger, which is sad, but it allows me to set more realistic expectations for people.

I wonder if it forces me back into my echo chamber of wanting to only surround myself with like minded people, but it isn't that either. Better to constantly expose myself to that sort of ugliness so I know when to be mad and when to just shake my head.

Yea it's really depressing to witness sometimes, especially amongst your "own kind of people" in the gaming community. But then I remember stuff about GamerGate and whatnot and realize we can be quite vicious and ignorant too.

zeemumu

Make a really good point using the inherent logical fallacies of racism aimed at the most obvious person to be dogpiled. Others will fill the thread with your quote or posts of their own and do the work for you.

Gaf's super defensive on certain racial topics but oddly tolerates Asian racism due to model minority crap. Alas. :\

Moonkid

Basically every thread that's about social issues on Gaf, offtopic and gaming side.

MsKrisp

Gaf's super defensive on certain racial topics but oddly tolerates Asian racism due to model minority crap. Alas. :\

Yeah, that's true even outside of GAF. I'm pretty astonished at how many people go "really? I didn't know that ___insert racist joke about Asians___ was racist" or that it's no big deal.

MsKrisp

Our current gun culture is a result of NRA fear mongering in order to make bank for themselves and gun manufacturers. The NRA used to be a sportsman's gun safety group, and they later shifted to a lobbying focus. When democrats are in office, they tell people that they will take their guns regardless of their position, resulting in ammo shortages and high profits. The NRA in its current form is responsible for crazy bullshit like sandy hook.

Myself and a lot of others I knew grew up in families that used guns more as tools, as well as for hunting and recreation. Safety was taken extremely seriously, and no one felt the need to own an assault rifle. Now you got guys in hummers with zombie unit stickers all over with their shotguns strapped to the vehicle (I actually saw this recently). It's ridiculous.

SRG01

There should be plenty of VPN services over there. If not, I believe they're readily available in HK if they're going through that route.

zeemumu

yo zeemumu, KH3 being shown at D23 on Saturday! I'm definitely going to that one.

Yeah I know man! I'm so glad I chose the 15th to go!

Now I just gotta worry about getting into that panel. Last time they did a game showcase, the panel was around 9 or 10 in the morning but I was in like at like 5 or 6. I wasn't exactly prepared for a sit for more than a few hours. I'm going to over-prepare this time

cdyhybrid

wxMKGsz.png

💀

vern

Any recommended ways to check facebook while in china?

Download a vpn. Green works well and is like 2.99 for a month. If you need desktop vpn or need something in chinese you can use 天行vpn. Also has mobile version but I find green better for mobile, 天行 works great and is cheap too.

I won't be able to make the meet-up, but I will totally look at pics later if someone posts then.

I want to do a GAF meetup but I'll be busy this weekend, sadly.

@Sept - Mr. BSB and I are doing Sushi Zo this weekend! Any recommendations on which place to eat between the one in west LA and the one in DTLA?
I like them both, but I think I'd give a slight edge to Culver City because it's easier to get to and has better parking. Food quality is the same, though, from what I could tell.

Also, happy birthday!

zeemumu

My dog and I are just hanging out inside trying to beat the heat. There are other things that I'd prefer to do but most of them involve going outside (hiking, beach, Disneyland, dog park, etc.). Maybe I should go to a water park or use my pool. I haven't gone in my pool in a long-ass time.

Also if any of you haven't checked out Kubo and the Two Strings I'd fully recommend giving it a watch. The animation and artstyle is fantastic and the story's great as well.

Getting closer to fixing my sleep schedule. Didn't help that my depression fucked me up tremendously - I laid in my bed for most of the days just thinking and wondering why I can't get up and do shit ;_;

Life's..... Not so great right now. Looking at job descriptions for anything, anxiety kicks in, sends resume, rejected..... Crawls back into my bed and shuts everything off.

Good news is that I'm starting to work out again. So that is giving me some kind of jump to life. Yaaaaaaay. This week has been a decent week and I sort of just forced myself up, cleaned up the house, cook, take out the garbage. But I'm just dreading my next crash with all the shit that is happening with my family right now.

👍

Goofalo

I wish I could be out of town this weekend. I live along the Pride parade route, which is fine. I like the parade, I just hate all the people, and the insane crime that happens afterwards.

Just came back from a 2 week vacation in Korea (2nd time here). Majority of my stay was in Gimpo/Incheon and maybe a weekend in Seoul. Was cool, found a nice street style skatepark.

Dumb video I made of food I ate. Spicy spicy spicy!!! and meat meat meat!!!
https://youtu.be/bEglbOsqjtQ

Funny enough it's cheaper for me to fly into Japan and Korea than it is to fly to California.

zeemumu

Got mine today too.

Must get into KH3 panel

Tuesday looks like my free day in LA? Could meet up afterwards on Saturday if you want.

I got a class on Tuesday that doesn't let out until about 5 but I'd be down to meet up on Saturday.

BSB, Meph, you guys wanna meet up too?

Izuna

Banned
Bae just told me (this took place in Tokyo) that her girlfriend (AsAm) was extremely pissed off at a white American dude who straight up called her "half-caste".

I'm baffled at the outright racism and insane ignorance. I had no idea people would use that term for people who are half Asian.

Why is it that these racist people keep going to Japan?

Top Bottom