• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

hirokazu

Yes. Very much so, especially if you like Spidey.

HOWEVER, it doesn't really deviate that far from superhero (or even Spider-Man) movies in terms of plot, so be aware of that if you already have superhero fatigue.
One thing that I think really helped was that they kept it friendly and in the neighbourhood. Not every superhero movie needs to be about stopping a world/galaxy-destroying threat.

I hope Fox takes that cue with X-Men.

Izuna

Banned
Might need some help.

Lady came by the store (technically yesterday) and wanted to sell an iPhone 6S. It's Rose Gold, 16GB (but locked to a network I don't use which charges £15 to unlock)... The screen was broken but we're a repair shop so...

I offered £135 and she agreed.

Anyway, I'm in my room rn with a fully working 6S (Screen replaced, Touch ID and 3D Touch both work) but tbh I'm not used to this OS at all. Should I go to CeX and exchange for a used S6 instead?

If I sell it on eBay it looks like I'll get roughly £40 profit however.

OculusRift on sale for only $400. Meph picked up a set. It's pretty cool :D

Seriously?!

Let's use BigScreen and play in Rec Room :D

Add me on Oculus Home when you set it all up (I gotta unpack first).

Izuna

Banned
I heard good things about it, and sure. You'll have to wait a week for me though-- otherwise contact StMeph if you want to play with him immediately.

I actually got a second set for myself for $300 on Amazon (limited deal).. so both Meph & I can play! I'm pretty excited. Love it so far.

My older brother and I want people to play Rec Room and stuff like Star Trek Bridge Crew with, so next week, you're on :D

[boots]

Hey everyone. Coming in late on an invite that I didn't notice for 10 days and probably at the worst time of the day to post on GAF, but whatever, cause you have yet another Korean to deal with now.

I'm mostly a lurker because I don't like posting anything unless I've read all the previous posts as I don't see the need to say anything someone else already said. I'm also a semi-luddite so you're gonna be waiting a good long while for that food pic.

[boots];243233949 said:
Hey everyone. Coming in late on an invite that I didn't notice for 10 days and probably at the worst time of the day to post on GAF, but whatever, cause you have yet another Korean to deal with now.

I'm mostly a lurker because I don't like posting anything unless I've read all the previous posts as I don't see the need to say anything someone else already said. I'm also a semi-luddite so you're gonna be waiting a good long while for that food pic.

Welcome :)

Fooooooood pic? Will wait!

Goofalo

I'm glad the requirement is food pic and not a gif of you writing your name in the air with your butt.

The older I get, and not matter what different groups I run in to, Asian people like maing each other do this after several drinks.

I'm glad the requirement is food pic and not a gif of you writing your name in the air with your butt.

The older I get, and not matter what different groups I run in to, Asian people like maing each other do this after several drinks.

Hm..... We've never done this. It's still funny though. Now I want to see somebody do that.

What's our equivalent to the $30 Italian Meal?

I had to look that up. I feel he very much overpaid for that. Unless he means $30 is some depreciated currency.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say he did overpay it and converted it to how much it would cost in Murican moneyz.

Fuck.... For $30 I can go to my local grocery store (Asian of course), grab a cheap chopped up roast duck, some fried rice or sticky rice, and possibly some eggrolls for the same price or similar. I can go to a sit-down restaurant, order a medium or large pho, side of eggrolls, another dish or two and still come close to $30.

Now I'm just hungry 🤤

[boots]

Thanks guys ^_^

I'm going to hazard a guess and say he did overpay it and converted it to how much it would cost in Murican moneyz.

I'm pretty sure I know which pic you guys are referring to and yeah, $30 is way too much for that. Unless you're paying $18 for presentation...I mean - brown paper bag and all...

Fuck.... For $30 I can go to my local grocery store (Asian of course), grab a cheap chopped up roast duck, some fried rice or sticky rice, and possibly some eggrolls for the same price or similar. I can go to a sit-down restaurant, order a medium or large pho, side of eggrolls, another dish or two and still come close to $30.

Now I'm just hungry 🤤

Man I hate living in KY....I miss my Chinatown...

That's why I love living in the Twin Cities. So many East and South East Asian restaurants and grocery stores. We don't have too many South Asian restaurants in the Twin Cities though (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough).

Food is cheap and good (always depending on where you go), and plenty of variety.

[boots]

I have to drive 40 mins for Indian and an hour for pizza that doesn't kill my soul a little with every bite. Every time I see a Cuban person I fight the urge to grab them by the shirt and yell, "WHY WON'T YOU OPEN A RESTAURANT HERE!? WHY!?!?"

[boots];243257283 said:
I have to drive 40 mins for Indian and an hour for pizza that doesn't kill my soul a little with every bite. Every time I see a Cuban person I fight the urge to grab them by the shirt and yell, "WHY WON'T YOU OPEN A RESTAURANT HERE!? WHY!?!?"

There goes your million dollar idea for your area. Time to open a Cuban restaurant, fam. Then watch the money roll in (or not).

[boots]

No way. I'm saving my money to open a Chinese bakery. Those cream buns could probably steal business away from the meth dealers around here.

[boots];243259215 said:
No way. I'm saving my money to open a Chinese bakery. Those cream buns could probably steal business away from the meth dealers around here.

It's all a front anyways (not serious by the way). Those buns are actually filled with drugs, in your case, METH!

Toki767

I've been telling my friend that moved out to a 95% white city that she should open up a dim sum restaurant there.

It doesn't even have to be super good. But she could probably charge a decent amount and still get a lot of business.

[boots]

Systembug and I are Graphic Designers. We can make this work. Bunny deals with numbers.

But this is the Asian OT. We're all graphic designers and people who can deal with numbers...

I've been telling my friend that moved out to a 95% white city that she should open up a dim sum restaurant there.

It doesn't even have to be super good. But she could probably charge a decent amount and still get a lot of business.

Holy SHIT! you should see what they call sushi here in Louisville and what they actually charge for it....and the fools flock to these places in droves.

[boots];243262071 said:
But this is the Asian OT. We're all graphic designers and people who can deal with numbers...

FeelsBadMan

We could take a page out of Family Guy and put buzz words into the marketing and dumb idiots will flock to the food = money!

[boots]

Paired with weird Japanese-style naming conventions and yesss... = money indeed.

Alright, guys. Thanks again for the warm welcome, but it's bedtime for me. Looking forward to contributing more here (or just more lurking). Have a good one everyone.

Edit:

Wait. = money would be a kick-ass name for a sushi place. This OT is a entrepreneurial goldmine!

Okay, seriously I'm out now.

Izuna

Banned
Thought I heard "nigga" 2ft away from me and some chuckles. I look left and it's a Chinese tourist group.

I'll cherish that cute moment. I live in a sit-com.

Just the other day I stopped to listen to an old guy play the flute because I couldn't figure out the song he was playing. Got rickrolled.

~~

Bkb, be sure to download Rec Room and Big Screen. :D

My mom stopped telling me that. Bittersweet.

This is her first time telling me that. Never told me that during HS Senior Year nor during College. I'm going to have to tell her that I just don't see marriage in my foreseeable future and that I also don't want to get married. I'm a damn mess and nothing's going to fix that without a stable mind, and possibly some medication.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
JhnO3hjl.jpg

UF1wiE7l.jpg

She says that in Cantonese after hearing the other woman speak Mandarin.

I don't even know if anyone else would appreciate this joke, but it's one of the reasons why I think Family Law is better than FOB at just being about a Chinese family living in a western world. lol

Erheller

JhnO3hjl.jpg

UF1wiE7l.jpg

She says that in Cantonese after hearing the other woman speak Mandarin.

I don't even know if anyone else would appreciate this joke, but it's one of the reasons why I think Family Law is better than FOB at just being about a Chinese family living in a western world. lol

LOL those smiles are great

Serious question: if you have mainland parents and start dating a person of Taiwanese descent or vice versa (Taiwanese parents, dating a mainlander), would your parents approve? I've never really had to deal with that since I'm fourth generation out of China.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Taiwanese American here, and my dad was not please with my mainland boyfriend. I was born here, ex came over at an early age. My parents are racist.

Yeah. It's weird though, because my Mom is Malaysian-Chinese, she's actually "bilingual" in terms of Canto/Mando, so there aren't the same cultural hangups.

I guess it's similar to like... being Protestant and dating someone Catholic. Or whatever the Western equivalent is these days.

I would think you could tell by the accent.
Yeah, although I don't think the show got that specific. The woman literally just said "ni hao" and she went off on her ex-husband in Cantonese. lol

Top Bottom