• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

clav

Thanks! It was a conversation that needed to happen sooner or later, right? It's such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I told her that I'll watch her and she should watch my drinking habits. I've noticed that I have been reducing how much I am drinking now, but one night or day..... It'll just show up out of nowhere and that's what I'm worried about.

If I were you, I'd make a goal to quit drinking.

I used to grab a beer after work, but then I noticed it affected my sleep patterns to the point that I'd not sleep well and had stomach acid reflux problems. Sleep apnea worsens.

Since cutting my daily drinking habit, I've slept better.

Depression sucks. In America, insurance companies are only interested if you can get treatment from meds. Difficult to get treatment for other methods like cognitive behavioral therapy unless you pay out of pocket.

Social isolation and unemployment can exacerbate it.

Add society's attitude for saying depression is for the stupid.

No question why there are problems like drug overdose.

For all your American AsianGAFfers- are any of y'all genuinely concerned about the state of the US (in terms of wealth disparity?). The more I seem to hear about the direction of the US, especially in that the middle part of the US, the uneducated people, that are pulling our nation down towards corrupt third world status because they support policies that do so, the more I'm concerned there's literally no turning back at this point. There's no fixing it. So... for the sake of my future, my future children... I'm honestly wondering if we'd be better off emigrating to a different country where there's better social nets and more education and progress.

A selfless person would stay and build a community for the future.

If you want to leave because you are financially capable, then that's your decision.

Depending on whom you ask for approval for leaving, some people will understand.

Erheller

For all your American AsianGAFfers- are any of y'all genuinely concerned about the state of the US (in terms of wealth disparity?). The more I seem to hear about the direction of the US, especially in that the middle part of the US, the uneducated people, that are pulling our nation down towards corrupt third world status because they support policies that do so, the more I'm concerned there's literally no turning back at this point. There's no fixing it. So... for the sake of my future, my future children... I'm honestly wondering if we'd be better off emigrating to a different country where there's better social nets and more education and progress.

I'm not very happy with how the US is right now, but I also don't think I'll be leaving. For my career path, the US is by far the easiest way to get a job.

I think that it's possible to change the direction this country is heading in, but it's hard for one person to really do anything at the national level. At the local level, though, we can make a difference, and if enough people do that, real change will come. Maybe not as quickly as we hope, but it will come.

I don't blame anyone who wants to leave, sometimes you gotta do what's best for you.

Moonkid

From an outside perspective, I think there are fundamental problems with political funding and the political system in general, as well as the ingrained American culture - things like American exceptionalism and blind support for unfettered capitalism - that will take a long time to be corrected, if it's even possible to do so.

EDIT: Come live in Australia! We have better education and healthcare! And we're less racist! I think! (New Zealand is probably a better place to be right now, but shhh.)
Come to NZ, avoid all those pesky animals >:)

Goofalo

I think Trump is a death cry of the baby boomer generation, politically. Even at worst, libertarians are accepting of gender/racial/sexual equality, generally.

I live in the middle part of the US. Albeit, I live in Chicago, so, it's an island in its own right as far as political leanings. And its saddled with other issues as well, that the rest of the middle doesn't deal with. Its gotten weird, to be honest. People are emboldened in the worst ways, I've seen it first hand and I've been the target of it. I want to say that my reaction to it hasn't been extreme, but I've purchased multiple firearms in a 6 month period and thousands of rounds of ammunition. Never owned a firearm before, so its a weird thing.

But, I think my attitude is more about not giving those assholes what they want. In some ways, the right wing nutbags have a couple things right, you have to stand up for what you believe in. I'm not talking about forming some sort of progressive militia (But if I did, I'm totally calling it The Trigger Warnings) But, I'm not going to be scared out of my home, and even though I'm armed to the gills now, I still think compassion and education are the best tools in which to help this country move forward.

dohdough

I think Trump is a death cry of the baby boomer generation, politically. Even at worst, libertarians are accepting of gender/racial/sexual equality, generally.

I live in the middle part of the US. Albeit, I live in Chicago, so, it's an island in its own right as far as political leanings. And its saddled with other issues as well, that the rest of the middle doesn't deal with. Its gotten weird, to be honest. People are emboldened in the worst ways, I've seen it first hand and I've been the target of it. I want to say that my reaction to it hasn't been extreme, but I've purchased multiple firearms in a 6 month period and thousands of rounds of ammunition. Never owned a firearm before, so its a weird thing.

But, I think my attitude is more about not giving those assholes what they want. In some ways, the right wing nutbags have a couple things right, you have to stand up for what you believe in. I'm not talking about forming some sort of progressive militia (But if I did, I'm totally calling it The Trigger Warnings) But, I'm not going to be scared out of my home, and even though I'm armed to the gills now, I still think compassion and education are the best tools in which to help this country move forward.

It's funny that I was thinking about getting a couple guns to enjoy putting holes in paper, but after the election, it's more about protection because of my skin tone. Racists have really been emboldened by this election and I find that I'm more aware of who I'm around when I'm out and about. Hell, I see my neighbors and I wonder which ones would've voted for me and my family to be put in a concentration camp while we talk about the weather and my kids. It's a very surreal feeling.

Goofalo

Honestly, keep talking to them. Fear appears to be the biggest motivation of all of this. And people are afraid of losing a status or something, "dominance" I suppose. The more they can relate to you and your family and see that the "other" isn't so different, then they begin to see things more realistically.

Granted, it does take a leap and a change of thinking from see you as "one of the good ones," to seeing things more holistically.

More and more of my friends and family friends are getting guns or taking classes on handling guns. I'm not even debating it. When I get the chance to I'm going to take it. For the protection of my family and friends.

I held a Glock and 1911 not too long ago. Very nice guns, especially the 1911. Small magazine, but very powerful and something that people will respect. I also held a 870 and damn was that a thing of beauty 😍

It's also very good to have a gun on me since my family and friends like to go out to the country alot for camping trips or for fishing so I need to get on it asap. The White folks may be Minnesota Nice, but uh..... With the way Minnesota is heading, oof, yeah I'm gonna need a gun. I think it was just a few months ago where I saw a truck (why oh why must it always be a truck, right?) with a Confederate flag..... I looked at that truck once, twice, three times, FOUR times until they drove off. Fuck out of here. You in one part of the hood so you better drive off before shit starts popping off.

Goofalo

Advice: Get a 1911 after you get a reliable weapon like a Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P. Modern 9mm striker fired pistols are more reliable, hold more ammunition, have great stopping power with defensive ammunition and are easier to maintain.

1911's are a design from the late 19th Century.

Advice: Get a 1911 after you get a reliable weapon like a Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P. Modern 9mm striker fired pistols are more reliable, hold more ammunition, have great stopping power with defensive ammunition and are easier to maintain.

1911's are a design from the late 19th Century.

Oh yeah? Thanks. I vageuly remember that's what one of my friends told me if I ever get a gun. Nice to know 👍

Article on the Google Manifesto:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...n-valley-google-diversity-black-women-workers

Google's workforce is, by its own accounting, 69% male and just 2% African American. Just 20% of technical jobs are held by women.

Yeah this could be better.

Google may be unequivocal in its ”belief" about diversity, but the figures make its shortcomings clear. The company tends to hire white and Asian men over women and other racial minorities.

Asians are well represented though.

Goofalo

Oh yeah? Thanks. I vageuly remember that's what one of my friends told me if I ever get a gun. Nice to know 👍

Yeah, get a Glock, M&P, Springfield xD, or CZ P10C. A bunch of ammo. Get a weapon light. Take a class. Spend time at a range. Take a practical pistol course if you can.

Frankly, handguns are best for self defense. Concealable, mobile, you can purchase ammo that won't over penetrate.

I love my AR. But rounds from that are going to go through whomever I shoot and into whatever or whomever is behind it. That is no bueno.

i thought this asian bachelorette video was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1IisyP1ak

i don't watch bachelorette so i didn't really have a good grasp of it but consider me shocked that there have been barely any asian men contestants on the bachelorette. we all know the american tv/film industry loves asian men.

Lttp fam, but it's good that you posted it again because more people need to watch it since it is hilarious :p

I'm more of the Bro Asian dude just because if I was invited to something like that, I would just go to drink, hah! I don't do much mixing or anything but I am down to drink.

Should've doubled down on the "free stuff" stereotype by having them at a buffet, or on a date at a fancy restaurant where the guy just keeps eating.

Blackhead

Redarse
What A Fraternity Hazing Death Revealed About the Painful Search for an Asian-American Identity

Anyone here do frat life? Bunny did you ever write up on your sorority experience?

i thought this asian bachelorette video was funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1IisyP1ak

i don't watch bachelorette so i didn't really have a good grasp of it but consider me shocked that there have been barely any asian men contestants on the bachelorette. we all know the american tv/film industry loves asian men.

still funny.

clav

Was going to post this in the forum, but I think a bunch of people here will drive-by post with some keywords in that article and derail discussion.

I thought about a frat, but rumors about the whole initiation process scared me as it always sounded like a series of torture tests like staying up all night in below freezing temperatures outside to guard one spot.

Tragic story. Author seems to want to promote discussion of identity crisis of 2nd generation (and beyond) Asian Americans since they are very marginalized and thus have their problems ignored.

As I always find myself saying, no one cares.

Izuna

Banned
TP5ItvJ.png

Heh, amusing grammar mistake from Facebook

Goofalo

Have any of you ever met someone pretending to be Asian?

Like full on Rachel Dolezal?

I had some friends who happened to be in my neighborhood and they invited me out for some food, so when met up with there were others with them. One of whom happened to be a girl who claimed to be Korean. She did not look like any Korean person I'd ever seen before in my entire life. And not in that way how some Asian people its hard for you to nail down their ethnicity. So I thought maybe she was hapa. But...so many weird things about her, like, her Korean name is super masculine. I was trying super hard not to gatekeep, but I had so many questions I wanted to ask her.

The friends I went out to meet aren't Asian. But I am hanging out with one of them today. I'm going to ask him what is up with this girl.

Izuna

Banned
Have any of you ever met someone pretending to be Asian?

Like full on Rachel Dolezal?

I had some friends who happened to be in my neighborhood and they invited me out for some food, so when met up with there were others with them. One of whom happened to be a girl who claimed to be Korean. She did not look like any Korean person I'd ever seen before in my entire life. And not in that way how some Asian people its hard for you to nail down their ethnicity. So I thought maybe she was hapa. But...so many weird things about her, like, her Korean name is super masculine. I was trying super hard not to gatekeep, but I had so many questions I wanted to ask her.

The friends I went out to meet aren't Asian. But I am hanging out with one of them today. I'm going to ask him what is up with this girl.

Like, not weebs?

I have seen my fair share in Tokyo.

Then there's me, who takes advantage of the fact that I blend in at the airports and in parties when I have a very small Chinese ancestry.

Honest answer there. I always address myself as mixed af though.

--

Oh, and one Japanese girl bae knew that did her very best to BE Korean.

Goofalo

Honestly, I think she's a white girl.

She said she was born here, in the US. So, plastic surgery isn't as much of a thing amongst Korean-Americans. She's in the lower age range of people I've hung out with, mid-20's, so perhaps there is a generational gap.

It's not like I can go up to her and smell her armpits and call her out for having allele ABCC11.

I dunno. She just looks so off.

Also, are Japanese people trying to be Korean a thing? My buddy dated a Japanese girl, who looked very, very Korean. So much so that, I used to joke with her about her being Korean. It was a half-joke, because I was like "Yo, you are Korean." She would get super mad with me. I remember, I dropped her and my buddy off at the airport, and BOOM, she had a Korean passport. So, I'm guessing she's Zainichi Korean. I thought that stigma was going away in Japan. Guess not.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I would share pictures but that's not allowed. This girl exclusively ate at Korean restaurants here and I met her once. In all her pictures she puts on that generic bright red lipstick and wears outdated Korean fashion.

I've seen it happen a couple of times.

SRG01

Ugh, just had a blatantly racist experience today at a supermarket... not sure how to process it. Not even anger, mostly disappointment amongst other feelings.

Izuna

Banned
I'm sure that's borrowed from another kind of cuisine? I've never seen that before either.

It's common when presenting Sushi though, I think? I think some Yakiniku places I've been to show something similar. This restaurant has probably learnt a few things over time in the UK or at least, someone who builds the menu did (for pictures) introduced the idea.

It was word for word 'So, do you know which teas are good for sex?' while I was browsing the Asian teas at the grocery store.

I'm missing something here.

Perhaps something about Asians knowing secret teas and herbs?

Yup. This is it. You're Asian so you HAVE to know something about medicinal herbs, teas, and whatnot.

In recent news...... I'm wondering if those fuckboys will "protest" up here..... Get my friends to go and counter-protest or something. Trying to get us to get off our fat asses and do something because we've been too complacent.

Izuna

Banned
Perhaps something about Asians knowing secret teas and herbs?

You can't know if that a preconception about Asians or just a misconception on teas and herbs. If she believes these things and was seeking it out, as that's her idea of Chinese Medicine, the assumption that you could help her isn't ignorant behaviour. But only if she really believes and wanted you helped her.

If it was "I don't really care about teas but I'm gunna say something witty" then yeah, that's blatant and racist.

SRG01

You can't know if that a preconception about Asians or just a misconception on teas and herbs. If she believes these things and was seeking it out, as that's her idea of Chinese Medicine, the assumption that you could help her isn't ignorant behaviour. But only if she really believes and wanted you helped her.

If it was "I don't really care about teas but I'm gunna say something witty" then yeah, that's blatant and racist.

Nah.

It was a guy and it was the tone.

hirokazu

Honestly, I think she's a white girl.

She said she was born here, in the US. So, plastic surgery isn't as much of a thing amongst Korean-Americans. She's in the lower age range of people I've hung out with, mid-20's, so perhaps there is a generational gap.

It's not like I can go up to her and smell her armpits and call her out for having allele ABCC11.

I dunno. She just looks so off.
I'm not sure about the name aspecrt since I no nothing about that, but she could just be a mix the an odd combination of genes? I'm not sure what the deal is that you need to rat her out or whatever though.

Also, are Japanese people trying to be Korean a thing? My buddy dated a Japanese girl, who looked very, very Korean. So much so that, I used to joke with her about her being Korean. It was a half-joke, because I was like "Yo, you are Korean." She would get super mad with me. I remember, I dropped her and my buddy off at the airport, and BOOM, she had a Korean passport. So, I'm guessing she's Zainichi Korean. I thought that stigma was going away in Japan. Guess not.
If she has a Korean passport, then... isn't she likely ethnically Korean but trying to deny she's Korean for whatever reason? Or are you saying she's a Japanese who's got Korean citizenship yet steadfastly maintains she's Japanese? That seems a lot less likely to me. Maybe her family moved to Korea when it was a Japanese colony but even then, I thought they retained Japanese citizenship...

It wasn't the best Korean place I've been to, if that means anything.
That's weird, most Korean barbecue places in Australia give you the lettuce to put rice and meat in. I thought that was just an optional thing you could do if you wanted. Is that not a thing?

Izuna

Banned
No need to fight what people identify as, especially not to compare them to someone like Rachael Dozel who wasn't exactly forthcoming and... from what I understand, not great.

milkham

That's weird, most Korean barbecue places in Australia give you the lettuce to put rice and meat in. I thought that was just an optional thing you could do if you wanted. Is that not a thing?

They do that some places here in new york as well, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a korean drama.

Izuna

Banned

I don't know.

I've been to exactly 3 Korean restaurants. That's the limit of my experience.

Top Bottom