• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

I just want to shout this from the root tops, so instead I'll tell y'all- ... I just turned in my first draft of my first "big" client (100+ hours).

Sooooo happy. I hope I don't get review notes until next Monday, so I can finish the rest of my work.

I'm really excited, again, because this is one of the bigger projects I've done! & a little bragging - the other returns in this family of this size were assigned to senior associates, and one of the seniors on the project commented he was surprised because he expected my return would have gone to another senior. :D. SO either they want me to fail and get rid of me, or maybe they think I can handle it.

Congratulations!

Fall's coming up and I'm really hype about all of the Halloween stuff that I have planned with friends this year.

SRG01

Heading back to work on Monday after a long summer break. Not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand, being on vacation and resting is great. On the other, it's ironically harder for me to meet people while I'm on vacation.

Can you think of other ways to get sempai's attention?

The only reason I sort of understand what this means is because of NeoGAF, which makes me question whether GAF is a force of good or evil in this world. Sempai is like master right, but one you have a crush on?

In an Uber pool right now, and the other person in my Uber touched me and asked if I understand English. *sigh*

Ugh, I hope it was just "harmless" ignorance instead of snide, directed racism since she was from Iowa. Not sure about the touching though, that's just weird.

zeemumu

The only reason I sort of understand what this means is because of NeoGAF, which makes me question whether GAF is a force of good or evil in this world. Sempai is like master right, but one you have a crush on?

I understood Sempai as basically meaning 'teacher'. I think the crush aspect comes from a fetishistic place of falling in love with your mentor.

Every time that SNES Classic thread gets updated I tense up. I just started getting the hang of gaining the upper-hand on scalpers. I don't want to screw up now.

zeemumu

I feel so out of touch, though I'm not sure what I'm out of touch with.

You used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, and what you were with was no longer it, and what was it seemed weird and scary to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Trends, memes, and whatnot move a mile a minute and you aren't expected to keep up with them. It's like upgrading a phone. You don't need the next upgrade right now because you know for a fact that another one will be out in a year and your current phone is still pretty up to date, so you can wait.

If you need an example, no one even remembers this anymore
saltybae.PNG

Being at the forefront is a waste of time. Just get the important stuff.

zeemumu

Bunny, Meph

There's a strategy board game sale on Amazon right now. You might want to see if there's anything you want to grab. My new debit card isn't here yet so I'm gonna have to wait.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Ugh, I hope it was just "harmless" ignorance instead of snide, directed racism since she was from Iowa. Not sure about the touching though, that's just weird.

Considering she's from Iowa; there's a non-zero chance that you might be the first asian she's seen in real life. So 99% chance of ignorance / genuine curiosity. Also, as a midwesterner, I totally am used to touching people / poking people. Hell, I generally greet people by hugging them. We're sort of touchy / huggy folks. We think you coastal people are grumpy mcfrumpypants who don't like hugs and stuff. :D

Also, a bunch of mid 20 year olds feeling out of touch...ffs, what does that make my 32 year old self lol.

Considering she's from Iowa; there's a non-zero chance that you might be the first asian she's seen in real life. So 99% chance of ignorance / genuine curiosity. Also, as a midwesterner, I totally am used to touching people / poking people. Hell, I generally greet people by hugging them. We're sort of touchy / huggy folks. We think you coastal people are grumpy mcfrumpypants who don't like hugs and stuff. :D

Also, a bunch of mid 20 year olds feeling out of touch...ffs, what does that make my 32 year old self lol.

Weird..... My family and friends don't do this. Maybe we're not Midwestern enough 🤔 Minnesota is pretty different from the rest of the Midwest :p

It just means you young. It's a state of mind like what cdhybrid said.

StMeph

There's a strategy board game sale on Amazon right now. You might want to see if there's anything you want to grab. My new debit card isn't here yet so I'm gonna have to wait.

I didn't see anything notable on sale, but we have too many unopened board games as it is.

We're in the internet age now. Online, a few years is basically ancient history.

hirokazu

Sempai is 先輩, basically anyone who was once/formerly in your current shoes, but is now more senior. This is usually applied in school or professional settings.
Fixed it for you. Just got that first kanji wrong.

We've got relatives from America here and I think they come from a small town in NJ. It's really weird, their life experiences are completely different.

StMeph

Fixed it for you. Just got that first kanji wrong.

We've got relatives from America here and I think they come from a small town in NJ. It's really weird, their life experiences are completely different.

I was translating it into Mandarin, not Japanese Kanji, but I shouldn't be surprised that it's 先, because it's pronounced similarly in both languages, and 前 and 先 are synonyms.

I uh.... I don't know if translating Senpai/Sempai to Hmong would be as pleasing as other languages, lol.

Xib fwb (see fue)/tus tswv (thu juu)

LMAO..... Fuck man..... Just imagining a random sexy girl talking dirty to me using those words isn't too pleasing to me. Otherwise, we don't really have a word for senpai/sempai.

ahdurian

peeps..I just watched Train to Busan...

I now have a fear of fast fucking zombies

oh god

if a Z outbreak ever happens, please let it not be fast zombies

oh god

Due to some conflicting reports, I am here to report that the earlier and the younger a person is to be infected the more agile and fast the zombie is. To add on to this information, the more athletic the infected is the more they are agile and swift.

This is a warning to any, and all survivors: seek immediate shelter and please reinforce your area of living. I repeat..... *PSA repeats*

The biggest danger in zombie movies is always that ONE guy who gets multiple people killed. Like I understand that this kind of character is used to symbolize paranoia and selfishness in humans, but it got pretty ridiculous that one guy was the direct cause of so many character deaths that could have been easily avoided. It's a trope in basically every zombie/apocalypse movie.

zeemumu

What's wrong with the original Romero DotD?

Nothing, but he mentioned running zombies and the ones in the original are standard slow ones. The remake's are runners.

You could also play Left 4 Dead for running zombies

I actually do prefer the remake to the original but they're both really good zombie films.

suzu

oh god

I just watched it recently too. Good movie :D

The biggest danger in zombie movies is always that ONE guy who gets multiple people killed. Like I understand that this kind of character is used to symbolize paranoia and selfishness in humans, but it got pretty ridiculous that one guy was the direct cause of so many character deaths that could have been easily avoided. It's a trope in basically every zombie/apocalypse movie.

Yeeeep. But it's fun to hate on that one character. lol

hirokazu

I was translating it into Mandarin, not Japanese Kanji, but I shouldn't be surprised that it's 先, because it's pronounced similarly in both languages, and 前 and 先 are synonyms.
My Chinese skill not good LOL. I’d never have expected use a different character in Chinese, but I never really thought about the term existing in Chinese to begin with. I’ve had a bunch of revelations finding out words that are the same or different between CJK.

Nah, as a 90s baby anyone born before the 90s is old
Y’all kids in here.

zeemumu

Nah, as a 90s baby anyone born before the 90s is old

'87 is the cutoff, because that's when Huey released this ... Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is 'Hip to Be Square,' a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

34, back in school and I feel like my memory isn't as good as it used to be... like I never was bad with names but nowadays I'll literally forget someone's name like 5 min after we're introduced.

34, back in school and I feel like my memory isn't as good as it used to be... like I never was bad with names but nowadays I'll literally forget someone's name like 5 min after we're introduced.

Besides going to school.... Are you me? Even if I'm not drinking I forget people's names so quick.

Top Bottom