• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Ask The Gays!": LGBT voters back Hillary over Trump, 84% to 16%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sums up politicians in general. They'll oppose something or have a view that's seen as negative, but then change their stance on it when it something happens to a demographic of people to boost their profile or improve their campaign chances. Even Hillary did the old sudden switcheroo tactic as well after a decade of opposing gay marriage as well after that got passed.

royalan

Sums up politicians in general. They'll oppose something or have a view that's seen as negative, but then change their stance on it when it something happens to a demographic of people to boost their profile or improve their campaign chances. Even Hillary did the old sudden switcheroo tactic as well after a decade of opposing gay marriage as well after that got passed.

Hillary supported Gay marriage privately for years before she came out for it publicly. She also voted for pro-gay legislation throughout her tenure as New York Senator. I think it can be said that Hillary is more akin to someone actually evolving on an issue in a genuine way.

Trump, however, is the very example of "saying whatever it is you need to say to get elected." To the point that he's changed positions on policies in a single day.

Donald Trump is a cartoon character. It makes no sense to compare him to any other actual politician in any meaningful way.

One of my gay friends is planning on voting for Trump. He used to be a Bernie supporter and his reason is basically "Hillary is corrupt so I'm not voting for her." His only response to the shooting in Orlando was that we needed to elect someone strong on national security. I've given up trying to talk to him about it.

Monocle

One of my gay friends is planning on voting for Trump. He used to be a Bernie supporter and his reason is basically "Hillary is corrupt so I'm not voting for her." His only response to the shooting in Orlando was that we needed to elect someone strong on national security. I've given up trying to talk to him about it.
Corrupt vs racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, hypocritical, egomaniacal, dishonest, impulsive, politically inexperienced, generally ignorant, and authoritarian.

Your friend is a real deep thinker.

Meowster

Corrupt vs racist, xenophobic, misogynistic, hypocritical, egomaniacal, dishonest, impulsive, politically inexperienced, generally ignorant, and authoritarian.

The insane mental hurdles people go through so they don't have to vote for a woman

Sounds like bullshit to me. Why would she do that? For votes?

Well, yeah, sadly.

It's the same with Obama. There's evidence he supported marriage equality long before he ran for president. But at the time, marriage equality was still a pretty divisive issue nationally, so pretty much no national-level politician would come out and endorse it. Instead, you'd get half-measures like "civil unions" and whatnot.

It's depressing and doesn't exactly cover those politicians in glory, but given the choice between:

1: A politician who equivocates in public statements but is able to achieve concrete gains once elected; and
2: A politician who openly states their convictions, no matter the political cost, and doesn't get elected as a result

...I'm gonna have to go for option 1. It kinda sucks, but, well, reality is what it is.

(To clarify, I believe there is some room for politicians to have "evolved" on the issue, but I think in most cases, they simply shifted their public stances in accordance with public opinion.)

ApharmdX

Banned
Hillary supported Gay marriage privately for years before she came out for it publicly. She also voted for pro-gay legislation throughout her tenure as New York Senator. I think it can be said that Hillary is more akin to someone actually evolving on an issue in a genuine way.

Trump, however, is the very example of "saying whatever it is you need to say to get elected." To the point that he's changed positions on policies in a single day.

Donald Trump is a cartoon character. It makes no sense to compare him to any other actual politician in any meaningful way.

Do you have a source for this? I know Obama supported same-sex marriage privately way back in the 90s, so I'd be curious if Hillary felt similarly before it was legalized.

ApharmdX

Banned

Thanks for that. Interesting:

The article, which Mills sent on to Clinton, outlined frustration with the pace of Obama’s gay rights agenda. Obama had not yet fulfilled a promise to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act or the Pentagon’s ban on openly gay military service, the story noted.

We paid a heavy price in the 2004 presidential election over gay rights so I can see why Obama avoided tackling the issue. But it was the wrong thing to do, he should have been there in 2008, 2009 at the latest.

MartyStu

Not sure why so many are surprised. Not everyone places the same weight on their gender, sexuality, race, socioeconomic status, religion, etc.

Sometimes, people are passionate about things that do not necessarily match with whatever bin everyone else wants to put them in.

Keeping that in mind, 15 - 30 % of gays voting republican sounds about right.

Aiustis

Seems in line with gay republicans. It is what it is. I know a few and I've heard some really delusional shit from them. I don't get how anyone can support a party that welcomes and embraces so much vitriol against you.

He was supposed to speak at UCF this week but UCF was like yeah, we're not going to be able to guarantee your security so maybe do it somewhere else.

He seems really inflammatory.

This was right after Orlando:

XQSqfJp.png

Possibly a touch inflammatory. Take note of the hat.

Phased

Who the hell is Milo Yiannapoulis? Seriously. Some gay Trump Supporter/Gamergater?

Gamergate and I guess apparently Trump supporters love him because he's gay but also just like them in his beliefs apparently. He's basically the "black friend" of the group they use to reassure themselves they aren't racists/bigots/homophobes.

Doesn't she take money from Saudi Arabia?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/20/politics/rand-paul-hillary-clinton/

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...rs-clinton-foundation-engaged-in-conflicts-of

Same country that imprisons gay people, chemically castrates them, tortures, and executes them?

Have these donations been disputed? Or do domstic LGBT not care what happens overseas?

Because LGBT don't have battles to fight in their own country, of which trump is more than happy to let go to the wayside?

Crayons

Banned
Gamergate and I guess apparently Trump supporters love him because he's gay but also just like them in his beliefs apparently. He's basically the "black friend" of the group they use to reassure themselves they aren't racists/bigots/homophobes.

Oh God, no! Basically Gay Uncle Toms. They're "one of the good ones". They're the worst.

Who the hell is Milo Yiannapoulis? Seriously. Some gay Trump Supporter/Gamergater?

Milo is the superstar of Breitbart, an alt-right hero by virtue of being a gay Jew who hates progressives. His rise to relevancy has largely been off the back of giving faux legitimacy to Gamergaters by being a proactive "best-internet-friend is a GayJew so I can't be a fuckwit", he's pretty much just a horrible piece of human garbage.

Was this a deep thought given one thing was listed for Hillary (& according to GAF inaccurate) vs. 10 for Mr. Trump? Seems extremely biased.

LosDaddie

Banned
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why would she do that? For votes?

What kind of evolution can you have when you supposedly already support something?

Well of course. Hillary has historically high unfavorables for a reason, and it's not simply the throwaway "sexist" reason many on GAF want to believe.

Don't forget that Clinton tried to get game sales regulated in the early 2000s. She's proven that she'll jump on any cause that'll make her appear tough to get votes.

dramatis

Well of course. Hillary has historically high unfavorables for a reason, and it's not simply the throwaway "sexist" reason many on GAF want to believe.

Don't forget that Clinton tried to get game sales regulated in the early 2000s. She's proven that she'll jump on any cause that'll make her appear tough to get votes.
Sexism is not a throwaway reason for why people dislike Hillary, it's pretty much how all of the negative attention on her began and perpetuates to this day. You'd have to be blind to not be able to see that.

Skele7on

Banned
Hilary was against Gay marriage, but I guess when you have quite frankly a terrible choice I guess she's better? RIght?

Rayis

I don't think I'll ever get why Hillary is disliked by people, all the reasons I've been given are flimsy at best, the e-mail thing was such a non-issue.

LosDaddie

Banned

Probably one of the greatest/most effective trolls in recent memory. He's gay. He's conservative. He uses those facts to get under people's skin.

Sexism is not a throwaway reason for why people dislike Hillary, it's pretty much how all of the negative attention on her began and perpetuates to this day. You'd have to be blind to not be able to see that.

Now your other posts makes sense. 😂
She's hated more because she's a democrat than a white woman.

Hilary was against Gay marriage, but I guess when you have quite frankly a terrible choice I guess she's better? RIght?

Let's see... someone who was originally against, but then changed her mind on gay marriage vs. a demagogue with no political experience who is a bigot of all kinds and could potentially set our country back by years when he enters office.

I mean when you put it like that, the choice becomes so incredibly nuanced for LGBT, huh?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I still don't understand why people think "She was against gay marriage, but now she's for it." is a legitimate reason to not like Hillary. As if that doesn't apply to almost everyone. Apparently, it would be better if she were still against it according to that logic.

linsivvi

WTF is wrong with that 16%? It defies comprehension.

It doesn't really. I mean, somebody like Ted Cruz is probably 10 times as bigoted against this demographics as he is. So the fact that he's getting less LGBT support than previous Republican presidential candidates is a good sign.

I still don't understand why people think "She was against gay marriage, but now she's for it." is a legitimate reason to not like Hillary. As if that doesn't apply to almost everyone. Apparently, it would be better if she were still against it according to that logic.

We were only able to get it passed nationwide last year. I'd say that a majority of the people who currently support gay marriage only turned around at some point in the 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom