• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

Booki

This is what happens when you want Parity across the board. EVERYONE SUFFERS.

#PS4noparity

Never forget.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff,"

leadbelly

Banned
No wonder it's freaking 900p. It's all parity guys...

The argument made by a number of people in that thread was, if the problem is that it is CPU limited, then increasing the resolution is not going to change anything. The framerate would be the around the same if the resolution was increased or decreased. That tends to be true when a game on PC is CPU limited. However, there may be a technical reason for why this is an issue on consoles.

Simply saying it is CPU limited didn't fully explain it though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This will probably be a 100 page thread of outrage but i bet a lot of these problems will get fixed in a patch.

Great. And in the meanwhile the people who pre-ordered the game for the full price will play through a broken game?

Some might say that that's the reason why you do not buy and play games on day one. But one might also demand that games are not released in broken states.

Ambitious

Last I've heard and saw (yesterday): Framerate around 20fps and heavy pop-in issues.

Video: https://account.xbox.com/sv-SE/game...ins&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

NPC spawning mid-air at 0:11:

unity7es1z.png

Here’s Unity‘s World Level Design Director, Nicolas Guerin:

“At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don’t think it was a good idea because you don’t gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn’t look like the real thing. It’s a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

“And in other games it’s the same – like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we’re dropping that standard because it’s hard to achieve, it’s twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image.”

The game’s creative director, Alex Amancio also chimed in that 30 fps “feels more cinematic” and that “it actually feels better for people when it’s at 30 fps.”

So it feels even better at 20 fps and less... because this is what they achieved.

Facism

Man and some people thought the X1 version was holding the PS4 version back lol.

"waits for the people saying they lowered the PS4 versions framerate to match the X1 for parity".

“At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don’t think it was a good idea because you don’t gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn’t look like the real thing. It’s a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.

“And in other games it’s the same – like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we’re dropping that standard because it’s hard to achieve, it’s twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image.”

The game’s creative director, Alex Amancio also chimed in that 30 fps “feels more cinematic” and that “it actually feels better for people when it’s at 30 fps.”

he should be making movies instead of GAMES

deeptech

Nah, 8.5/10

"Minor technical issues"

Damn , i quickly googled "ign unity review" as soon as i read your post , lol

Anyways seems like performance problem is bigger than i thought with consoles. Hopefully bad press and user feedback can make them actually fix the game faster.

From what I've read and seen the frame rate and pop in is still ridiculous even with the huge day 1 patch. I'm still excited for the game but please god I hope they sort it out with a patch. Just lower the freaking npc count for Christ's sake! Really no need for that many. OTT imho.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I might be mistaken here, but isn't Watch Dogs the same game across the two generations? It might not look good on 360, but the game itself is the same right?

But as with all cross-gen games they will all just be up-ports due to being designed around the last gen machines first. It might be a "best for current gen" situation, but if it's the same game it still is limited by what is possible on those systems.

But if Watch dogs is akin to Splinter Cell Double Agent and that being to distinctly different games then your point obviously stand.
It was not developed around last gen machines. They simply made cuts to the main game in order to facilitate a last gen version.

Great. And in the meanwhile the people who pre-ordered the game for the full price will play through a broken game?

Some might say that that's the reason why you do not buy and play games on day one. But one might also demand that games are not released in broken states.

Welcome to AAA gaming where games can be fixed after they get your money.

Nicktendo86

This is, as I said in the other thread, why you should never per order a game. Especially when reviews are embargoed. There is no benefit to giving publishers money before checking the product first.

Percy

Banned
Played it Xbox One, framerate is really really bad. Like DR3 levels bad, sometimes worse.

That's pretty damn bad. DR3 on XB1 had an embarassingly poor framerate.

If Ubisoft can't do better than that with a game that looks like Unity does, then they've regressed in capability badly since ACIV.

All they need now is to fuck up Far Cry 4 as well and they'll have successfully managed to make this one of their worst years to date.

Fuck it. I have it paid off in full, but i'm switching it for LBP3. Not gonna put up with framerate this bad on a new system. Everything else I've played runs great.

Jarmel

Banned

lol

RetroStu

Banned
So at the end the "parity" really means "We didn't have time to optimize anything so both run like shit"

It does sound like a rushed launch without time to polish the game though (tons of pop in, people and objects spawning in and out of the game, framerate all over the place etc).

I'm sure a patch will fix a lot of these problems, it just depends how long that patch will take.

scoobs

Stoked I got this game for free and didn't pay for it, sounds like it isn't worth the money. That $350 xb1 deal was pretty sweet.

"We’re dropping that standard because it’s hard to achieve". - Ubisoft.

This should be a meme.

yeah the media will probably wave it off as that, but personally I feel this is a major technical issue that effects game play :/

The thing is ubisoft can promise to fix that and reviewers will believe them and instead of giving low numbers they give high numbers because "Ubisoft will fix that".

Then after getting those high numbers Ubisoft can clearly say "No we wont fix that" and some sites wont bother with changing the review.

Tell that to those guys who blindly bought the supposed 60 fps PS4 edition of Mordor because members on this board said it was 60 fps. Or to all the guys here who failed the 30 vs. 60fps test a couple of weeks ago. There is truth in everything, sadly.

Lol. You said "most gamers", and "This board showed that they can't even differenciate 30 and 60 fps" in reference to "most gamers". Those are sweeping generalizations. The reality of it is that it was a tiny amount of people on this board.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's times like these I'd love to have the option to manually turn down the resolution of Xbox One games until the framerate is acceptable. I'm fine with 480i and a stable framerate in exchange.

Jack cw

Lol. You said "most gamers", and "This board showed that they can't even differenciate 30 and 60 fps" in reference to "most gamers". Those are sweeping generalizations. The reality of it is that it was a tiny amount of people on this board.

Context, man. Most gamers who buy the game. It's an audience with people not as technically aware as we are here on a gaming board and argue about enthusiast details. Those consumers, most of it, will buy the game regardless of the performance, it's accepatable to them, they clearly showed that with Watch Dogs and AC3.

noah111

Still Alive

That's one big croc of shit—acting as if it was a choice, rather than a technical decision. I would be fine if it ran at 30fps solid, or partly-solid, but it simply doesn't. How can one be so out of touch.

MavFan619

Banned
I recorded that video on the Xbox One from the first page earlier and yeah game is a mess not to mention from the start I can tell it's the same ol AC shit as well. I got it with the bundle, as I would usually buy multiplats on PS4 in this games case even free was a bit too much spent. Its not a great looking game for these crowds that are just uninteresting obstacles to run through to bring down performance that much. I'd take Infamous lifeless city over this whole thing based on an hour of play. Go figure. Also in the first 2 mins of gameplay I clipped through a wall and had to reset the checkpoint.

valkyre

Hm, if the PS4 would be 1080p, wouldn't be the framerate even worse? Lol

Ι think it is pretty established by now that Ubisoft sucks major ass when it comes to optimizing its games... not just when it comes to consoles but PC also... have you seen the PC minimum requirements? Or the fact tht even monster PCs still have attrocious pop in?

It is simple really.

Ubisoft is jack shit.

There's nothing I love more than being told which framerate feels better for me.

Thanks, Ubi!

Sweep14

Secretely hoping that Naughty Dog, SSM can give a gigantic collective kick in the butt of devs teams working on PS4, showing them what really can be accomplished with next gen consoles...

Top Bottom