• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin’s Creed: Unity Framerate Is “Atrocious”

twisted89

giphy.gif

#FirstWorldProblems

Just enjoy the damn game.

Most gamers won't even notice. This board showed that they can't even differenciate 30 and 60 fps (the Shadow of Mordor topic was hilarious), so Ubisoft will get a free pass. I just hope that all of us who are bothered wont buy it. Money is the best argument here.

It's impossible not to notice. Sometimes the game feels like it's actually slowed down, because the framerate dropped that much.

Dunno what they had on their minds if they thought that was even remotely acceptable.

Edit:

900p and 20fps drops sounds pretty terrible. Honestly the game doesn't even look that great, it just seems blurry and low-res. Are the crowds really worth that? I played AC1 on my PS3 which also had atrocious 20fps drops and sub-par visuals. I really can't go back to that.

I thought the game looked fantastic, not blurry at all (xbone). Some cutscenes are also incredible. Not to say the game looks always amazing, sometimes it's very bland, but overall up there with the best looking games this generation.

Alienous

hopefully sarcastic post? no game even touches the "maxed out" terms during first years of being on the market.

Considering the amount to which the PS4 and Xbox One resemble PC hardware, I hope that holds true. I'm thinking a lot of the juice in the consoles has already been displayed, as the developers aren't grappling with a completely new architecture.

JNA

Banned
Don't worry, Far Cry 4 is a last-gen port.

Why would you be worried about a cross gen title that is likely running the same engine as Far Cry 3?

Surely not even Ubi can fuck that up.

While it's entirely possible for Ubi to screw up FC4 I'd say it will run a great deal better then Unity does.

I mean I hope you're all right. Still being a little cautious though...you never know right? Haha...ha...*sign*

confuziz

Banned
......but people were saying PS4 could easily do this at 1080p, Ubi held it at 900p because MS told them too!

Seriously neither of these consoles coupled with the engines apparent lack of optimisation was going to run this at 1080p. Ubisoft gonna need to patch in some extra frames.

You think this is the fault of the consoles?

Thisisthepartwherewelaugh.gif

hodgy100

This should be a meme.

The thing is ubisoft can promise to fix that and reviewers will believe them and instead of giving low numbers they give high numbers because "Ubisoft will fix that".

Then after getting those high numbers Ubisoft can clearly say "No we wont fix that" and some sites wont bother with changing the review.

Games really should be reviewed in their release state, with ammendments stating what improves with patches. because whenever these patches stop being hosted. players will no longer be able to experience games like this is a working state :/

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Possible to break down the engine on the PC to see whats consuming so much performance?
(like GPU ShaderAnalyzer or something similar)

Edit: I mean something like on GPU PerfStudio (not GPU ShaderAnalyzer)

Can't the developers see these kinds of problems when they are making the game ?

They see it but they have 10.000 developers working on it and you'd have to interact with every one of them... that's hard to do!

15-20 fps would be already unplayable from the controls point of view.

It's Assassins Creed, half the gameplay is automatic... fits the framerate perfectly!
I wasn't serious... just to be clear

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's like Ubisoft just dumped this game in the market without optimizing or polishing it one bit. Hoping that in weeks after launch they are able to patch and fix a bunch of stuff. Kinda reminds me off BF4.

MS and Sony both should feel ashamed for allowing this to happen. Why do they even cert. games if they can pass in a broken state? I guess Ubisoft is to big. :/

Are people actually in their right as consumer to get their money back when said developer releases a buggy game that has an unplayable framerate with no word from Ubi to ''promise'' they will fix it?

Vuze

It's like Ubisoft just dumped this game in the market without optimizing or polishing it one bit. Hoping that in weeks after launch they are able to patch and fix a bunch of stuff. Kinda reminds me off BF4.

MS and Sony both should feel ashamed for allowing this to happen. Why do they even cert. games if they can pass in a broken state? I guess Ubisoft is to big. :/
Yeah probably. Didn't Minecraft get rejected by either Sony or MS just lately lol?

MavFan619

Banned
Considering the amount to which the PS4 and Xbox One resemble PC hardware, I hope that holds true. I'm thinking a lot of the juice in the consoles has already been displayed, as the developers aren't grappling with a completely new architecture.
Yep nowhere left to go from here we don't even need to see a SSM or ND game Ubi have shown us all the juices.

Mohonky

You think this is the fault of the consoles?

Thisisthepartwherewelaugh.gif
I said its a combination of both. Neither system is a powerhouse and trying to bruteforce this engine obviously hasnt worked for them, the game badly needs to be optimised for both of the platforms.

But we knew ages ago this game was going to be a shit show on both consoles, but somehow people believed it was solely Microsoft holding back those 1080pees on PS4. Its not and it never was. Its the low end hardware coupled with Ubisoft not optimising for what is there.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Looks like I won't be touching Unity. I'm an epileptic and a framerate that fucked up and so much pop-in literally makes me sick. Such a shame, the E3 footage looked pretty cool.
Come on guys, it's not pop in, it's a glitch in the Animus
Heh. :p

Seanspeed

Banned
#FirstWorldProblems

Just enjoy the damn game.
Some people will.

Personally, immersion is one of the big reasons I play Assassin's Creed games. When people are popping into existence 20 yards in front of you, its a bit of an immersion breaker. So its kind of a big deal for me.

Can't wait till the review embargo is up, hopefully it gets the slaughtering it deserves. I honestly don't understand how Ubisoft aren't hated more. They are just as bad as EA and Activision and in some ways worse. This game was probably made by over a thousand people too, which makes it all the more laughable.

Besides the frame rate the game has been fantastic so far.

twisted89

Pff yeah right. Here your new car with flat tire and engine problems. Enjoy your ride. Never understand why people would accept to be getting fucked over just because it's still "fun"

Not sure thats a realistic comparison, £50 game with pop ins ≠ new car costing thousands with a flat tire that stops you going anywhere.

What an unexpected twist. People were afraid that the PC version would run badly but in the end it's the console versions that suffer from severe issues. Maybe Ubisoft was overambitious with the level of detail?

People can use the same tools and the same resources and optimise over time. Let's wait to see what devs like ND and SSM, and QD for that matter, deliver before making any judgments.

Alexandros: How does the PC version run on equivalent hardware? Most people who have PCs won't have the top of the line...

Qassim

I'm hearing the 780ti can't keep up either and we have to lock to 30 frames.

30 frames.

780ti.

I keep hearing reports of this but at the same time I hear people talking about "maxed" settings with the 780Ti.

"Max settings" includes the Ultra High textures which require 4GB VRAM. The 780Ti has 3GB VRAM. They shouldn't be using Ultra High textures.

NewDust

Not sure if asked before... People on PS4, do your issues persist even after the day 1 update? Is the update even live?

thelastword

Banned
Not that I find it remotely acceptable many have hailed Ocarina of Time as one of the best games ever made. Would that have made a better book?
Seems to me like your stance on framerate isn't as strong as it used to be, in as much as you say you don't find AC-U's framerate acceptable, here you are bringing OOT into the equation. We all know what the N64's limitation was, but it's much too early in this gen to have yet another sub-hd game with such a terrible framerate. Also if the comparison must be made, I hope this game is as good as OOT.

One thing that baffles me though, why is it that Ubisoft is only going for such an AC game now, if it is that they're heavily using the CPU, they had a beast of a CPU in cell, yet they never made a game with so many npc's before. Wouldn't it have been better to make that game then?

Some people will.

Personally, immersion is one of the big reasons I play Assassin's Creed games. When people are popping into existence 20 yards in front of you, its a bit of an immersion breaker. So its kind of a big deal for me.

That's exactly how I feel in regards to this. It's just something that shouldn't be an issue anymore, even if it means scaling back on 10,000 NPCs or whatever.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ubisoft's decision to release a new AC game every year is finally biting them in the ass. This would never have happened if they'd released the game when it's actually finished (complete, bug free, optimized for each platform) instead of on a release date set in stone.

Top Bottom