• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm shocked people aren't interested in this. This is an extremely interesting time period, the design is fucking awesome, and no big buildings probably means gameplay is going to be changed and evolved in some cool ways.

I could totally go for some wandering in the American wilderness, looking for mysterious ruins or what have you. Maybe that farmhouse they gave GPS coordinates for.

Tawpgun

Whether its going to be in this game or in its sub games, we ARE going to go to the French Revolution now. There's no way they'd skip out on something like that.

glaurung

Clothing design has been a joke since AC2.
Yeah, but they could have gone either full tribal headgear, like this:

1434.jpg

Or keep to a clean uniform and ditch the hood altogether, like this:

$%28KGrHqIOKkYE2JpMjcl4BNnbZ9wr,Q~~_35.JPG

The thing that bugs me the most in AC is that ever since Brotherhood, the series' just plain black and white with everything Templars do = evil and everything Assassins do = good, hopefully it will be different this time.
What? Ever since AC1, you see that the Templars have good intentions but using mind control is against free will which pissed off the creed. Even the head assassin "changed sides" adding another layer. This has happened throughout the series including Revelaitions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, but they could have gone either full tribal headgear, like this:

1434.jpg

Or keep to a clean uniform and ditch the hood altogether, like this:

$%28KGrHqIOKkYE2JpMjcl4BNnbZ9wr,Q~~_35.JPG

They're not ditching the hood. That's as iconic to their series as Mario's hat, Sonic's shoes, etc.

The resistance to the period/setting is a bit bizarre to me...
Definitely understand the hate for the costume though.

Yup.

I love how people on GAF who have been complaining for 3 years that AC hasn't changed, and each game is all too similiar, and their sick of Ezio...

...suddenly don't want the game to change.
What about those complaining the costume hasn't changed enough/in the right ways?

Is it not obvious that the ancient civ's city/secret is buried underground in America and kept hidden by the Natives thus allowing Des to go in and find the clues? There's your climbing, folks.

KillGore

Honestly, I'm shocked people aren't interested in this. This is an extremely interesting time period, the design is fucking awesome, and no big buildings probably means gameplay is going to be changed and evolved in some cool ways.

I think most of the people who are disappointed are probably not Americans (I said most, not all, cause I'm very interested and I'm not american), so I think that's why they are probably disappointed. The first excuse they give is that the time period isn't that interesting (lol wut? really?). The second excuse is that the buildings are not as big as those from Europe, but if I recall correctly, Ass Creed 1 barely had any huge buildings, just a clusterfuck of buildings and houses together (what made Ass Creed 1 boring was not the lack of tall buildings, it was the repetitive gameplay). People will always want their country to be part of a game series, but like I said already, Europe has been used on Ass Creed series, it's time for the Americas turn [like USA, Mexico (or the Spanish Empire back then), Brazil, etc]

I don't know why you'd think that. Nothing in the previous games screamed that London would be next. And how has a location change 'destroyed' AC? The series has been set in Europe for FOUR games. Get over it, move on, and try something new. Jesus.

American geography ladies and gentlemen.

There have been two AC's set in Europe, 1 in Asia and 1 in both.

Anyway, I'm unsure about this. American history bores me. It's just a few hundred years compared to the rich history most other places in Europe, North Africa and Asia had. But I guess since they've set up the whole New York thing, they had to go there eventually. Well hopefully it'll at least be better than Revelations, that game sucked.

I think everyone saying this is a great idea and it's going to be awesome needs to settle down and wait until we get some more details before jumping to conclusions. This could go either way.

kyubajin

Not being from the US myself, I'm in the not-interested wagon too. Guess I'll have to wait and see if this is worth getting when it drops in price.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think most of the people who are disappointed are probably not Americans (I said most, not all, cause I'm very interested and I'm not american), so I think that's why they are probably disappointed. The first excuse they give is that the time period isn't that interesting (lol wut? really?). The second excuse is that the buildings are not as big as those from Europe, but if I recall correctly, Ass Creed 1 barely had any huge buildings, just a clusterfuck of buildings and houses together (what made Ass Creed 1 boring was not the lack of tall buildings, it was the repetitive gameplay). People will always want their country to be part of a game series, but like I said already, Europe has been used on Ass Creed series, it's time for the Americas turn [like USA, Mexico (or the Spanish Empire back then), Brazil, etc]

or asia and africa, the perpetually forgotten/ignored 2/3rds of the world

i don't really understand the 'i'm not american and therefore am not interested' angle

i'm not a muslim assassin or a florentine renaissance artist either, but i still thought the first two games' settings were plenty interesting

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not being from the US myself, I'm in the not-interested wagon too. Guess I'll have to wait and see if this is worth getting when it drops in price.

Why do you need to be from the US to be interested? I'm not from Italy, but I wanted to play AC 2.

MjFrancis

Any person willing to bet that this game won't be pushing a noble savage stereotype on the protagonist (or in general, really) will be on the losing side of that gamble.

And my interest is piqued. Not terribly surprised at the period and location, but interested nonetheless. Since I've bought all four of the primary games in this series with a minimum of 900 achievement points attached to each one... I'm going to guess I'll buy this one short of a major development blunder.

Dunan

As a huge AC nut I'm really looking forward to this.

But it seems pretty clear that there could be an AC3-2 least, and maybe an AC3-3. Both the American Revolution and the French Revolution in one game? This protagonist's story will surely be broken into multiple parts, with him (assuming it's a "him") traveling to Europe for the second half of his story. AC2 did a fine job with Florence and Venice, but you could travel back and forth between those cities easily. I can't see them letting you go back across the Atlantic as casually as you could take a horse for a Venice-to-Forli jaunt just to pick up some feathers (or whatever this game's collect-athon item will be).

And if he's got Native American heritage, I really want to hear some people speaking Haudenosaunee
Iroquois; "People of the Long House"
or Seneca or Mohawk. They won't be able to use it as extensively as they could with Italian, because of how impenetrable these languages are for outsiders, but they still can and should spice it up a little like they did with Turkish and Greek in ACR.

Zeliard

Seems to me that this should be even more interesting to you if you're not American, since you may not be as familiar with the setting.

This is easily the best, most interesting setting. It's unique, and I'm hard-pressed to think of other games that focused on this period.

I've been burnt out on AC due to Ubi's gross milking of the franchise, but now, I'm hyped.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, who's to say you won't be involved in the French Revolution as well? For all we know, you could hitch a ride with the Marquis De Lafayette to France afterwards.

That or it'll be the 'Brotherhood' sequel

kyubajin

Why do you need to be from the US to be interested? I'm not from Italy, but I wanted to play AC 2.

Because European and Asian history appeals to me much more. I'm not saying I hate American history, but it's definitely not my favourite historical period.

KillGore

or asia and africa, the perpetually forgotten/ignored 2/3rds of the world

i don't really understand the 'i'm not american and therefore am not interested' angle

i'm not a muslim assassin or a florentine renaissance artist either, but i still thought the first two games' settings were plenty interesting

I think we have a perfect example above your post:

People are like that I guess :p and it's acceptable, not saying it isn't. Most non-americans are thinking just like him, they just don't want to say it.

Edit: Are you sure you're not a muslim assassin? or are you trying to hide something? ;(

Petrichor

The character design looks alright. Ezio always looked silly and out of place to me anyway, and that didn't distract from my enjoyment of AC2.

I'm more concerned about the lack of tall buildings. Roof running is a major part of the AC formula that will take a lot to replace.

Yeah, wtf!? Masyaf and the majority of the AC cities are not all that grand. With the exception of a few bird nest towers and famous Italian landmarks, the games had 2-4 story buildings that made up 90% of the cities. Monterigionni, Forli, Tuscany....

You guys are weird.

Nakimushi

Banned
dont be a pussys now after complaining the series is not changing ...
and how come you can think the setting will be boring ... you think Ubi will ever take boring setting and make there biggest game based on it ?
I am sure they will find a ways to make it super interested and fresh and still keep the base of mechanics that everyone love/

bengraven

"I'm not black, why would I want to play San Andreas? I can't relate to him."

That said, I'm only learning to appreciate American history as I get older. When I was a kid, anything before WWII was fucking boring for me (exception being the Edgar Allan Poe period). I wanted to learn about Japan, knights, Saladin, that shit. Now I'm starting to appreciate how amazing and full of adventure and culture and story the first 200 years were.

And now I want to assassinate a bear.

Dunan

I'd think that not being American would make you more likely to enjoy this game, since it won't contain any rehashes of what was in your high school history book.

My history classes long ago spent a lot of time on Renaissance Italy, so I loved seeing all of that come to life in AC2, but I also really enjoyed getting to know the world of the Crusades, which got basically no attention at all back during my school days. Constantinople and its long history as Eastern Rome managed to escape as well. These games inspired me to read about these places more deeply -- attention that I might not have given them had my avatar not wandered their streets in video games.

Psyched for this game. The American Revolution was the last setting I thought they would use, but god damn does that get me excited for this game. Although, I still need to finish Brotherhood and I haven't even bought Revelations yet.

One of my favorite things about the...uh, previous trilogy, is the setting. Specifically because it's so fresh - we just don't see much Italian Renaissance in video games. It's super cool. I don't know if this new game will be good, but I think the American Revolution is just as fresh. You basically don't see it outside of hardcore war/strategy games. Feudal Japan would be a disappointment to me, because we've seen that. I've had enough ninjas for a life time. Victorian England as a setting is not that common, but popular elements of that imagery and aesthetics are dead tired at this point.

So, out of those three American Revolution is the one I'd want. French Revolution would be probably just as cool, though.

Nice, I was hoping for this or a Victorian England setting. I'll be happy to get out of the Renaissance (though I've like all the games). It's a unique setting you don't see often in games that aren't made by Paradox or Sid Meir.

Feudal Japan would be a disappointment to me, because we've seen that
My thoughts too. That said a proper new Tenchu game needs to be made...but I'd most likely suck at the stealth like I do in ever other game. lol

DaBuddaDa

Swinging and climbing through tree tops in dense forests like fucking Tarzan would be prrrreeetttty awesome as a replacement for big buildings.

KillGore

Or Asian? Or African? Or Australian!

I'm a European and think a Civil War setup is cool!

Asia was used in Constantinople.

I agree, African Continent and Oceania continent needs to be used as well, and probably will, in the future. If they pick Africa and Australia, people will probably complain that there are no tall buildings like they are doing in this thread lol

No one is complaining about AC changing. Its the setting that rubs people including me, the wrong way. London or France would have been the ideal choices. Setting the game is America is not as embarrassing and debase as having it set in somewhere like Japan which is just more ninja fan service garbage, but this American setting pretty close to a debacle.

Bodom78

I'm not familiar with American history but am pretty keen on the idea of the setting, AC is due for something new.

I doubt Ubi would choose a setting that they could not use as an interesting backdrop to one of the primary titles.

Looking forward to seeing more in the coming months.

Nakimushi

Banned
So i guess I was the only one that didnt like gay Italian costumes and funny Ezio accent ?
I want this game to be dark and brutal like the first one !

No one is complaining about AC changing. Its the setting that rubs people including me, the wrong way. London or France would have been the ideal choices. Setting the game is America is not as embarrassing and debase as having it set in somewhere like Japan which is just more ninja fan service garbage, but this American setting pretty close to a debacle.

I can't even imagine how potentially bad that could have been.

So i guess I was the only one that didnt like

Err...Nice knowing you!

Seanspeed

Banned
Most of the appeal of the AC games comes from roaming through beautiful, classic European cities.

They are going to have to do a hell of a lot of convincing if they expect me to think that going around in early America will be anywhere close to the same.

Pretty disappointed. Its an interesting setting, but my imagination, or lack thereof, isn't seeing how this could be good.

Xater

So i guess I was the only one that didnt like gay Italian costumes and funny Ezio accent ?
I want this game to be dark and brutal like the first one !

Bye bye!

Most of the appeal of the AC games comes from roaming through beautiful, classic European cities.

They are going to have to do a hell of a lot of convincing if they expect me to think that going around in early America will be anywhere close to the same.

Pretty disappointed. Its an interesting setting, but my imagination, or lack thereof, isn't seeing how this could be good.

This so much! I am really curious to see how they sell this part with the new game, or how they compensate for it with new and interesting gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom