• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not all up on my AC lore, so I dunno what will happen. I think it's possible that new protag is just caught in the middle and has his own objectives, and sort of plays both sides. But given the historical element, and that America essentially played the underdog in that war, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you don't side much with the British Empire.

Cover also has new protag about to dig a tomahawk into a Redcoat's forehead. :p

George Washington had a piece of Eden and the British probably had one also which would explain how they managed to have such a large empire. I imagine that the Assassin-Templar war will be the main focus with it taking place in the shadows of the revolution. There would probably be Templars on both sides in order to try and have more control when the war is over. They would hope to be in charge of the new world as well as the Empire while the Assassins try and stop them.

CrazyDude

Not liking this at all. That era in America is boring (from gameplay perspective). Aren't all the building of that time like just some ugly few storey buildings. Series' should have stayed at the old continent where all the culture and beautiful structures are.

Second World War and Paris would have been ace.

Most of the building in past games have only been a few stories.

Talon

I'm furious that anybody would call the early American history boring. One of the most exciting periods in western history.

Goldrusher

51ZaNJ43ZEL._SL300_.jpg
51ZQ0sHQY4L._SL300_.jpg
51wBALvOEHL._SL300_.jpg
51z-8sFM-NL._SL300_.jpg
gnhfs5cktu.jpg

Not liking this at all. That era in America is boring (from gameplay perspective). Aren't all the building of that time like just some ugly few storey buildings. Series' should have stayed at the old continent where all the culture and beautiful structures are.

Second World War and Paris would have been ace.

So subjective.

Sorry folks, totally not a fan of this. The vertical style gameplay of AC is pretty enjoyable, but how the hell does that translate to the Revolutionary War, where I wager there was nary a building over two stories high?

neoemonk

Yes, not everyone in this thread is American. There are only so many History lessons you can have in school, and most of those lessons covered very interesting areas in History. European history itself is large enough to make covering all of it impossible. Ancient History is the same. Simply covering both World Wars is a huge syllabus. When you have so many large areas to cover how can you possibly think American history is part of every syllabus (or even any syllabus outside of America?). For me at least those aspects of American history are vague. Anyone care to give a nice breakdown?

Hoo boy. Might get flayed for this by some history buff, but here goes.

American Revolution was by British colonists in what is now the northeast US. They declared independence and engaged in guerilla warfare to win it and become their own country. They were being taxed by England but had no political representation. This is an extreme simplification so please don't kill me.

The American Civil War was from 1851-1855 (I believe). The southern United States wanted to secede from the Union and form their own country. They had plantations and such and were an important part of the nation's economy. The Union (the north) basically fought to subdue them and keep them as part of the country. I think a common belief is that slavery was the main issue, but I think it was just a political maneuver by Abraham Lincoln to gain support. Southern plantation owners gained a lot from slavery (free labor) but in the "more enlightened" north it didn't have the same support.

I hope that was helpful. I probably just embarrassed my high school history teachers and the public school system in the US in general.

Fuck, that Gameinformer quote about rethinking everything has me so pumped. This isn't going to be some quick cash-in like Brotherhood and Revelations (though they were still good). I'm expecting an AC1 to 2 leap in quality.

I love how they got the 3 years of development out right at the start to kept this hype train rolling, just like they did when multiplayer got added.

Also I don't get why people wanted an older setting for the III. If they are to be believed then this will end the trilogy which leaves a new main character, new settings, and other issues all available for a new series of games. This setting seems like an awesome way to end the Desmond trilogy.

From a concept perspective, I like the American revolution. There's a lot of conspiracy theory bullshit surrounding the founding of our nation (see National Treasure) and they can run with that in the story of the game. From a gameplay perspective, the French revolution fit better just because France has that classic architecture that we've come to expect from AC games. It's around the same time as the American revolution as well, so it's not like the weird ideas of setting it in ancient Egypt or whatever.

I love how they got the 3 years of development out right at the start to kept this hype train rolling, just like they did when multiplayer got added.

Also I don't get why people wanted an older setting for the III. If they are to be believed then this will end the trilogy which leaves a new main character, new settings, and other issues all available for a new series of games. This setting seems like an awesome way to end the Desmond trilogy.
Yup. Great quote by the devs. It already sold like 100 people in this thread.

Ubisoft PR is impressive.

That said, I might pick this one up if there are actual differences in gameplay.

Sorry folks, totally not a fan of this. The vertical style gameplay of AC is pretty enjoyable, but how the hell does that translate to the Revolutionary War, where I wager there was nary a building over two stories high?

You really think they haven't thought about this since they started development a couple years ago? Come on now.

Just let them show us everything first.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Man we gotta post those pictures every 100 posts now to keep this from happening :|

dancmc

So, I would imagine that colonial Boston would be the most likely location as one of the largest cities in the colonies at the time (may not be 20 story building's), but I am going to love me this setting

Muffdraul

AC3 dev team: "Oh shit you guys, he's right. Fuck. Welp, back to the ol' drawing board."

CrazyDude

Hoo boy. Might get flayed for this by some history buff, but here goes.

American Revolution was by British colonists in what is now the northeast US. They declared independence and engaged in guerilla warfare to win it and become their own country. They were being taxed by England but had no political representation. This is an extreme simplification so please don't kill me.

The American Civil War was from 1851-1855 (I believe). The southern United States wanted to secede from the Union and form their own country. They had plantations and such and were an important part of the nation's economy. The Union (the north) basically fought to subdue them and keep them as part of the country. I think a common belief is that slavery was the main issue, but I think it was just a political maneuver by Abraham Lincoln to gain support. Southern plantation owners gained a lot from slavery (free labor) but in the "more enlightened" north it didn't have the same support.

I hope that was helpful. I probably just embarrassed my high school history teachers and the public school system in the US in general.

Civil War was in a sense fought over states right, but the issue that brought about the argument of states right was slavery.

rataven

I think it's somewhat pointed that the art shows him atop a cliff or peak. There will be plenty of stuff for us to climb.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
have the games to this point addressed any connection between the Templars and Freemasons?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

see, this is why i say it's a blatant move to cash in on patriotism

5 covers featuring protagonists standing in front of futuristic background -> cover featuring protagonist hacking apart enemy of america with american flag blowing in the background

can someone photoshop in a crying eagle?

Talon

I like how everyone on GAF always goes "but the gameplay will be boring."

As if developers don't, you know, do their fucking jobs.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Check out the post earlier in the thread, there were plenty of 3 story buildings in that era.

Alucrid

Banned

5 covers featuring protagonists standing in front of futuristic background -> cover featuring protagonist hacking apart enemy of america with american flag blowing in the background

The Eagles in all the previous games were just subliminal messages forbthis game.

RedSwirl

I just had a thought: it's possible for them to have two people living around the same time both be accessible through the animus.

In case you don't know, Ezio and Altair, despite both being ancestors of Desmond, aren't related to each other. Desmond is simply one person on whom converges the bloodlines of a shitload of Assassins. Technically some of those people could be contemporaries of one another whose bloodlines cross sometime down the line. Theoretically they could even a couple who has the next child down the line both be playable. Or
transition to a French Assassin in Paris 20 years later.

Just sayin'.

LiK

So, I would imagine that colonial Boston would be the most likely location as one of the largest cities in the colonies at the time (may not be 20 story building's), but I am going to love me this setting

i hope so

Vire

Really? They just made the best cover in the series and this is what you post?

smh

inky

As a non-american I couldn't give two shits. This is the best cover they have ever made. I wouldn't want it any other way, in fact, I'm glad the sci-fi imagery is nowhere to be seen in the cover.

U.S. students don't know much about American history, according to results of a national test released Tuesday.

Just 13 percent of high school seniors who took the 2010 National Assessment of Educational Progress — called the Nation's Report Card — showed solid academic performance in American history. The two other grade levels tested didn't perform much better, which just 22 percent of fourth-grade students and 18 percent of eighth-graders scoring proficient or better.
The test quizzed students on such topics as colonization, the American Revolution, the Civil War and the contemporary United States. For example, one question asks fourth-graders why it was important for the United States to build canals in the 1800s.

I would think that today´s generation are a wee bit more challenged.

Ha ha ha... you can blame me for that, I took that test on high school without ever taking a course in US history earlier than the civil war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom