• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: American Revolution setting confirmed [Game Informer/Box Art]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHIZ

Still haven't gotten anywhere in Revelations. On top of being a bit burnt out on the series, that tower defense nonsense completely turned me off, and for some reason, after getting through the first three games no problem, when I started playing Revelations I thought "man these controls are shitty."

Skyrim didn't help either.

All that being said... I'll probably still pick this one up. I just hope they shake up the forumla a bit.

F!ReW!Re

see, this is why i say it's a blatant move to cash in on patriotism

5 covers featuring protagonists standing in front of futuristic background -> cover featuring protagonist hacking apart enemy of america with american flag blowing in the background

can someone photoshop in a crying eagle?

This....

I don't mind exploring the revolution some more, hell most of us europeans are in the dark about that period, but I just hope they can keep this main character on a neutral stance like the in the first Assassins Creed.

There's no need for this patriotic bullshit IMO, it really makes it hard to like for me when there's this "USA Fuck yeah" atmosphere hanging around...
And this isn't saying I don't like American's on the contrary but please keep this about the actual ass-creed story and not about the glorious american nation :)

51ZaNJ43ZEL._SL300_.jpg
51ZQ0sHQY4L._SL300_.jpg
51wBALvOEHL._SL300_.jpg
51z-8sFM-NL._SL300_.jpg
gnhfs5cktu.jpg

I played 1 to brotherhood in the span of 4 months. So burned. I haven't played revelations yet for that reason and 3 is coming in october.

Im assed out!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Of all the art in the OP they chose the absolute worst one for the box art. Good'un Ubisoft.

Kem0sabe

Hadn't noticed the discrepancy in the box art compared to previous games. I think it´s obvious the french have a big misconception, as with most Europeans, about american patriotism...

Then again... there was that freedom fries incident :D

People in the this thread still bitter America kicked Britain's ass

I think Britain burning Washington down just for kicks was an adequate payback in the war of 1812...

Really? They just made the best cover in the series and this is what you post?

smh

Haha.
Really though, the cover and concept art are are so legit. I'm excited to see what they do with this time period. The AC franchise hasn't let me down yet.
Not counting that first iPhone game, shit was horrible.

ironcreed

Banned
Yup. Great quote by the devs. It already sold like 100 people in this thread.

Ubisoft PR is impressive.

That said, I might pick this one up if there are actual differences in gameplay.

I will not lie, it certainly got my attention. But I am not just going to cynically ignore it as PR and marketing jargon. I will simply wait and see before I render final judgment. Saying that they have started from the ground up and are overhauling everything with new ideas is not to be taken lightly. Time will tell the tale.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Rofl the transition. Altair is facing the right in AC1 cover. Ezio the middle in AC2. The new facing left in AC3. Great job Ubisoft. Hahahaha.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Europe has had it's fair share of AC settings. Time to sail for new shores.

And Russia has it's own storyline in The Fall comic series.

Though the comic wasn't the greatest, there's some parts of it that could make a pretty great game.

I'd love to see AC mate with Uncharted and have a wonderful baby of pure awesome.

LiK

Haha.
Really though, the cover and concept art are are so legit. I'm excited to see what they do with this time period. The AC franchise hasn't let me down yet.
Not counting that first iPhone game, shit was horrible.

none of the portal games were any good. but all console games were great, including AC1. YES, LOVE IT ALL.

Alucrid

Banned
I don think thy need to pander to one patriotic spirit to sell games. Killing people as an assassin with an agenda probably. Does the job well enough.

Tookay

And this isn't saying I don't like American's on the contrary but please keep this about the actual ass-creed story and not about the glorious american nation :)

Well it's a good thing it's being made by a bunch of French guys who wrote America as the pawn of the Templars in the games' lore, and not the tea party.

This....

I don't mind exploring the revolution some more, hell most of us europeans are in the dark about that period, but I just hope they can keep this main character on a neutral stance like the in the first Assassins Creed.

There's no need for this patriotic bullshit IMO, it really makes it hard to like for me when there's this "USA Fuck yeah" atmosphere hanging around...

I am not one usually for "America, FUCK YEAH!" outside of the Olympics, World Cup, and the 4th of July. I usually find it disingenuous and ignorant.

However, that cover makes me want to set off fireworks with a jets information putting the after burners on over head and Whitney Houston's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner blasting in the background.

Suddenly Assassin's Creed III is one of my most anticipated games of the year, right up there with BioShock Infinite and Diablo III.

That cover art and Game Informer art is godlike.

The blade of the tomahawk being shaped like the Assassin symbol? Amazing.

I need this game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It is possible that since this is apparently the last Desmond game we might get a pretty large swathe of this assassin's life.
I hope so. Young Ezio sucked. I want to play as the hardened chiselled jaw middle aged native american in the painting, not a young arrogant inexperienced scrub.

shaowebb

Setting...is American Revolution?
...sigh...
Well there goes a lot of the love I had for the setting. I'm an art history nut and collecting art and monuments to own was a thing for me. I already lost the wonder of glyphs to hunt down filled with puzzles, and conspiracist history which was the biggest moving factor at times for me in the game to keep me on the edge of my seat. I'll still play because I must know how it ends so I must know how it progresses, but this setting promises to bore me aesthetically already.

They should have chosen Spain or somewhere in Asia.

Symphonic

I don think thy need to pander to one patriotic spirit to sell games. Killing people as an assassin with an agenda probably. Does the job well enough.

Yeah, let's make the setting the American Revolution and put no American/patriotic imagery in it!

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Puerto Rico <- Very boring history. We're not even an independent "nation, island, country, w/e" though I really don't care at all, just stating how we've always been someone's bitch lol

That's not true. A lot of your indigenous peoples history has be whitewashed but the truth is still out there. You just have to know where to find it.

http://www.centrelink.org/KearnsDNA.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As01jVTvLVI

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d-keywords=taino&sprefix=taino,stripbooks,401

Zophar

For people complaining about American locales: the Brits and the French were also involved in the Revolutionary War too, you know. It's not outside the realm of possibility that AC3 could take place in part in Paris or London.

I like how everyone on GAF always goes "but the gameplay will be boring."

As if developers don't, you know, do their fucking jobs.

The core gameplay in AC has always been a bit shaky. The combat has always been a basket of farts and the overly-automated city climbing has always had moments of controller throwing frustration and a lack of precision. The problem people have with this series is the iterative methods of improving these things. Iterative sequels work fine when you start out with really solid core gameplay a la Batman, Call of Duty and God of War, but they don't work with fundamentally unsound gameplay.

You can't fix the broken systems in AC by an iterative sequel, and that's what people are complaining about. They have stated that they spent 3 years of dev time on this game and that they have revamped systems, but words are wind. We won't know this until we see some unadulterated gameplay videos. Until then, people are going to complain about the vestigial systems they've added (team build, bombcrafting, tower defense) in lieu of fixing the core combat and traversal issues.

I am not one usually for "America, FUCK YEAH!" outside of the Olympics, World Cup, and the 4th of July. I usually find it disingenuous and ignorant.

However, that cover makes me want to set off fireworks with a jets information putting the after burners on over head and Whitney Houston's rendition of The Star Spangled Banner blasting in the background.

patriotism.JPG

Natiko

Banned
Seems like a pretty big departure from the previous games.. We'll see how it turns out. I still have to finish AC:R before this comes out. I should probably get on that soon.

ultron87

Are there any founding fathers who died suspicious deaths that could feasibly have been done by an Assassin? That could be the secret Templar founding father that you have to off.

jondy1703

Neo Member
I played the first AC and really didn't care for it, but I heard 2 was so much better that I've got a copy of PS3 waiting for me... but I could also play it on Xbox since I think my brother has a copy of it.

I feel like I should get back into it now because I really wanted them to do colonial america, so that should be cool.

Which system should I play AC 2 - Revelations on? Is there a significant difference between PS3 and 360 versions?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sorry folks, totally not a fan of this. The vertical style gameplay of AC is pretty enjoyable, but how the hell does that translate to the Revolutionary War, where I wager there was nary a building over two stories high?

ugh. mountains, forests, weather affects, hunting, etc etc. use your imagination

ctrayne

Of all the art in the OP they chose the absolute worst one for the box art. Good'un Ubisoft.

Probably not final. Ubi changes the art on these all the time.

is this even relevant? i'm not sure what point you're making.

You're saying the game is supposedly cashing in on gung-ho "Go USA" patriotism. I'm saying the game isn't even made by U.S. Americans so that's a really weird conclusion to make. It has a fucking flag in the background. Big deal. So one game out of 5+ in the series is about the American Revolution. Whoopedeedoo!

This guy gets it:

Well it's a good thing it's being made by a bunch of French guys who wrote America as the pawn of the Templars in the games' lore, and not the tea party.

Mista Koo

I like the cover, but it's missing something. Maybe because it's doesn't keep the theme from the first two?

Also while the new assassin's design seems good, it isn't as great as the jump from Altair to Ezio.

I especially love the tomahawk shaped like the Assassin's symbol. Sick as shit.
Haven't noticed it, neat!

Can't wait to post in the mind blowing facts thread a year from now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Setting...is American Revolution?
...sigh...
Well there goes a lot of the love I had for the setting. I'm an art history nut and collecting art and monuments to own was a thing for me. I already lost the wonder of glyphs to hunt down filled with puzzles, and conspiracist history which was the biggest moving factor at times for me in the game to keep me on the edge of my seat. I'll still play because I must know how it ends so I must know how it progresses, but this setting promises to bore me aesthetically already.

They should have chosen Spain or somewhere in Asia.

Man, you are great at reading a box art image.

Jtrizzy

So is there PR yet? I didn't see it in the OP. I'm still wondering how the whole Native American angle is done.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You're saying the game is supposedly cashing in on gung-ho "Go USA" patriotism. I'm saying the game isn't even made by U.S. Americans so that's a really weird conclusion to make. It has a fucking flag in the background. Big deal. So one game out of 5+ in the series is about the American Revolution. Whoopedeedoo!

hell, if i were selling a product in the USA i'd cover that shit in american flags and eagles, i don't see how the country of origin is at all relevant

This game is walking a thin line. Having the main character being native american is going to piss people off, I can see it now. My girlfriend is half-blood Native American and she's told me the game has to really watch how it portrays Native Americans to not raise controversy.

Talon

The core gameplay in AC has always been a bit shaky. The combat has always been a basket of farts and the overly-automated city climbing has always had moments of controller throwing frustration and a lack of precision. The problem people have with this series is the iterative methods of improving these things. Iterative sequels work fine when you start out with really solid core gameplay a la Batman, Call of Duty and God of War, but they don't work with fundamentally unsound gameplay.

You can't fix the broken systems in AC by an iterative sequel, and that's what people are complaining about. They have stated that they spent 3 years of dev time on this game and that they have revamped systems, but words are wind. We won't know this until we see some unadulterated gameplay videos. Until then, people are going to complain about the vestigial systems they've added (team build, bombcrafting, tower defense) in lieu of fixing the core combat and traversal issues.
It's well known that Ubisoft churned out those Assassin's Creed II sequels with other Ubisoft teams. At least six teams worked on Revelations. By the way, a curse on whatever team designed that awful Tower Defense mechanic.

The fact that they're saying this is the Assassin's Creed II team means a lot to me. Assassin's Creed was a tech demo. Assassin's Creed II was a legitimately great game. I am aware of the faults of this series. The controls are imprecise. The traversal (like in the Uncharted series) is ultimately meaningless. The combat isn't particularly satisfying. For me, it's the sum of all the parts: the setting, music, visual aesthetic, traversal, etc. that makes Assassin's Creed II fantastic.

Here's hoping for another equally big leap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom