• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins E3 hands on gameplay videos and impressions are going up

Pachimari

I was stoked before the E3 reveal, then it looked really rough on stage so I was instantly dehyped, and after all these videos I am excited again, so much that I've gone back to play the original.

El-Suave

I really hope the game doesn't lose the fluidity I appreciate so much about AC games. Stopping to use the eagle, change your equipment and evaluate your loot seems to go against the core of this franchise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think we do, no. Though if the rumours about them creating a trilogy with Bayek (Egypt, Greece, Rome) are true, I could see them release those three titles on an annual schedule, then take a year off before introducing a new protagonist.

The rumour there is that Greece and Rome won't be the backdrop for sequels but rather meaty (standalone?) expansions. I'm not convinced that's the case, but I am slightly less sceptical than I previously was as the Season Pass will be $40 and there's no MP mode (though it will contain at least one item set as per the morsel of info in the press release).

t1gerjaw

I was stoked before the E3 reveal, then it looked really rough on stage so I was instantly dehyped, and after all these videos I am excited again, so much that I've gone back to play the original.

The same thing happened to me. Aside from going back to the original.

Tawpgun

I pretty much swore off AC after being disappointed with 3. I only picked up Black Flag when it was free and I enjoyed it (largely due to the naval stuff) but the other ones never seemed worth it.

I wasn't sold on the E3 presentations but these gameplay bits make me a bit more excited. World looks great. Combat looks rehauled. Looks like Dark Souls lite which isn't bad. Better then the spam or wait to counter that I'm used to.

Cautiously optimistic but I may try and pick this up.

Squire

Banned
I really hope the game doesn't lose the fluidity I appreciate so much about AC games. Stopping to use the eagle, change your equipment and evaluate your loot seems to go against the core of this franchise.

Going against the cure is the point. It's a soft reboot. The tenants are present (stealth, assassination, parkour, etc.) but even those things are concepts that can be implemented and approached differently.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Going against the cure is the point. It's a soft reboot. The tenants are present (stealth, assassination, parkour, etc.) but even those things are concepts that can be implemented and approached differently.

Not to mention based on the gameplay this will be the most fluid gameplay the series has seen yet. Everything seems so smooth in terms of mechanics.

TheFatMan

Man I have just got to say that I have disliked Assassin Creed games since I played the 3rd one way back in the day, and I pretty much haven't bothered with one except to dabble a few hours into Black Flag (Which I instantly disliked).

But after watching all the Origins videos this game looks great. I really like that they are going for a more open world RPG approach then before, as well as allowing me to approach combat however I like, stealth or swords swinging.

Just pre-ordered this. It looks amazing.

I hope they keep the present day stuff to a minimum.

In fact, I'd be fine with the entire game taking place only in ancient Egypt.

But that's just me.

ISee

I hope they extend the present day stuff.

In fact, I'd be fine with 30%+ of the entire game taking place only in modern times.

But that's just me.

:p

dex3108

Mirages confirmed

DC8HApcXoAA_W8C.jpg:large

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...apher-for-assassins-creed-origins/#sf91064410

SomTervo

Never liked it, but AC4 turned me off that forever.

Sure let's just interrupt the epic pirate gameplay so you can.... walk around an office building and look at computers.

Unity and Syndicate turned it down to almost nothing FYI. Like just an occasional 2-minute cutscene. No "present day" gameplay.

Pachimari

I'm so freaking hyped for this game, having just read the article on Ubisofts blog as well. About all the weapons we can have, the different paths we can go through, and how we can interchange between quests seamlessly and it all sounds very inspired by The Witcher 3 which is a good thing. I can't wait to learn more about the Brotherhood's origins either, and we will even get to learn the reason as to why the assassin's started wearing the hood. I hope I can complete a few of these games before Origins comes out, preferably the Ezio trilogy.

Styles

Honestly can't wait to see the skybox during the night time in this game. I love the setting so much. Haven't played an AC game after 3 left a sour taste in my mouth.

Honestly, something always felt missing from the Assassin's Creed games. Even if you really enjoyed them, they were missing that 'something' that took them and elevated them to a whole other level of what the series' potential could be.

This game is the first game, despite all the various great ideas to come in some other AC games, is finally the one that's taking and turning the series into what we always wanted it to be without realizing it. Assassin's Creed always felt like a game that as fascinated as you were by it, was artificially held back by an oversimplification of its various systems. From playing this at E3. I always left each play session feeling like I've barely scratched the surface of what the game is, which is a great feeling.

Honestly, something always felt missing from the Assassin's Creed games. Even if you really enjoyed them, they were missing that 'something' that took them and elevated them to a whole other level of what the series' potential could be.

This game is the first game, despite all the various great ideas to come in some other AC games, is finally the one that's taking and turning the series into what we always wanted it to be without realizing it. Assassin's Creed always felt like a game that as fascinated as you were by it, was artificially held back by an oversimplification of its various systems. From playing this at E3. I always left each play session feeling like I've barely scratched the surface of what the game is, which is a great feeling.
You haven't played since 2, you said. Are you really sure you're qualified to even talk about what the other games brought to the series? You've literally missed more than you've played.

Can someone link me to some of these videos? I too was really hyped for it but didn't feel the E3 demo presentation at all.

Pachimari

Can someone link me to some of these videos? I too was really hyped for it but didn't feel the E3 demo presentation at all.

Goddamn it's in the OP. And I think there's been a few more in the past six pages.

This is a strange post.

SomTervo

From Theorry (last page):

Best footage out there imo

Assassin's Creed: Origins (4K60) - Nighttime Gameplay / Hunting / Infiltrating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WauNAVudo3s

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Exclusive Gameplay - Free Roam / Side Quests / Combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUcywIDOZ3A

Assassin's Creed: Origins (4K60) - Underwater Gameplay / Caves / Looting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2POlC-9CY

Assassins's Creed: Origins - Exclusive Gameplay Mission #1 "Sobek's Gold" Complete Stealth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAF7OudU3gU

You haven't played since 2, you said. Are you really sure you're qualified to even talk about what the other games brought to the series? You've literally missed more than you've played.

Barring specific additions that I wasn't aware of, I know enough about what the newer games offered and read up about them, and I never felt they were as big an advancement as what's present in this game.

The last games to really grab my attention was black flag and some of the unity improvements.

Goddamn it's in the OP. And I think there's been a few more in the past six pages.

This is a strange post.

What's strange about it? I felt like even when i was enjoying AC, it always felt to me like there was a better version of the series that it wasn't even seriously attempting to be, more in the realm of the action RPG style system that it appears to have now become. And as great as the world building always was, and how badass the characters always looked or felt parkouring or even countering and killing enemies. sneaking up on people, I still felt like more was needed. This games seems to have those improvements.

TheRed

The world looks so beautiful to explore. So just like every other AC I'll be satisfied with just that. Optimistic for this game now after watching some of those vids.

StarPhlox

I hope the year off did this series some good. Syndicate was a good game for sure but if this is just more of that but in a desert it seems like it will not be for me. I assume that it will still be by far the best selling game of the year. Congrats, Ubi.

I stopped after Revelations, starting again with Syndicate. It's weird to see how this series has changed. Assassin's Creed II was incredibly focused on platforming and had rather terrible stealth, while in Syndicate the platforming is just "hold forward and right trigger," while the game now has actual stealth mechanics. And now with Origins they seem to be adding actual control into the combat instead of a series of quicktime events. Still wish they would find a way to bring back the more deliberate platforming.

Ahasverus

I bought Unity with my PS4, didn't really like it (it's mostly bug free now, but the story and gameplay are still a mess really) but I bought Syndicate yesterday and I'm positively surprised. Some of the improvements being highlighted for this game such as control over animation priority and manuverability are improved already in that game (its only sin is that it's really ugly, and that's well apparent after Unity which is still one of the best looking games this gen).

Do we know what Montreal is working on? They are the fathers of AC after all.

I bought Unity with my PS4, didn't really like it (it's mostly bug free now, but the story and gameplay are still a mess really) but I bought Syndicate yesterday and I'm positively surprised. Some of the improvements being highlighted for this game such as control over animation priority and manuverability are improved already in that game (its only sin is that it's really ugly, and that's well apparent after Unity which is still one of the best looking games this gen).

Do we know what Montreal is working on? They are the fathers of AC after all.

This IS Ubi Montreal, is it not?

Yes indeed. This is totally Ubisoft Montreal.

Black Flag Creative Director is in charge of this game.

I'm so freaking hyped for this game, having just read the article on Ubisofts blog as well. About all the weapons we can have, the different paths we can go through, and how we can interchange between quests seamlessly and it all sounds very inspired by The Witcher 3 which is a good thing. I can't wait to learn more about the Brotherhood's origins either, and we will even get to learn the reason as to why the assassin's started wearing the hood. I hope I can complete a few of these games before Origins comes out, preferably the Ezio trilogy.

Can I get a link to that blog post?

JaseC

I thoughts it was the IV team. That's exciting!

Black Flag is AssCreed 4 and the team exists within Ubi Montreal. You may be thinking of Rogue, which is basically Black Flag with AssCreed 3's setting (and some snow) and was developed by Ubi Sofia.

Didnt Ubisoft Singapore make Black Flag?

Nope, to my knowledge that was also made by Ubi Montreal.

A cool detail I never actually realized about all my play-throughs of the game at E3 was that you really only block attacks with your shield while you're standing still. I had blocked plenty enough attacks, but did not realize standing still was a prerequisite of being able to do so. That blog post is a goldmine of awesome information, learning so much about the game there. I even successfully dropped smoke bombs mid combo, but did so purely on accident. Had no idea how I did so at the time, although I'm sure a quick glance at the buttons again might tell me what I did to make that possible.

synchronizing at viewpoints unlocks them as fast travel spots, something I probably won't be utilizing very often.

JaseC

Didnt Ubisoft Singapore make Black Flag?

Its duties were limited to the ocean side of things, but it did lead the charge there:

With the naval gameplay often cited as a highlight from Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft Singapore was given the mandate to further develop the ocean tech and fully handle (in partnership with lead studio Ubisoft Montreal) the ocean-based gameplay, which now comprises almost half of the gameplay for Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag. ”We opened the door to building a much bigger open world using the ground and the sea at the same time. And now the sea and the naval gameplay are pillars of the next game."

Ahasverus

Black Flag is AssCreed 4 and the team exists within Ubi Montreal. You may be thinking of Rogue, which is basically Black Flag with AssCreed 3's setting (and some snow) and was developed by Ubi Sofia.
Yeah, I thought Black Flag was not developed by Montreal. That deflates my hype a bit, as, for better or worse, I had seen Montreal as the real innovators of the series and the ones that care the most about the lore and stuff, and IV was a iterative sequel to III (which I found flawed, but interesting. More like undercooked).

I'd actually be more excited of it was Ubisoft Sofia, Rogue was pretty fantastic. The best of the III trilogy for sure. They deserve a proper shot.

Still hopefully Montreal knock it out of the park this time, and God knows the series need to find its feet regarding story. Hopefully Montreal managed to get back on track to the Desillets days.

Top Bottom