• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity & Rogue - Story and Gameplay Discussion

Loxley

Since every thread dealing with Assassin's Creed (specifically Unity) basically turns into a cesspool of anger and insults these days, I figured we could use a general thread to discuss the non-technical aspects of this year's two AC games until they release and a proper OT is created. As the title suggests, this thread is dedicated solely to the discussion of the story and gameplay for both Unity as well as Rogue.

Please keep the discussions/debates about the technical aspects of the games (resolution, framerate, etc) relegated to the six-trillion other threads on GAF that are already discussing that.

Assassin's Creed: Unity

tumblr_n6z17na8nm1rsmmqs2v.gif

Story Synopsis:

The main character of the game is Arno Dorian (Dan Jeannotte), a Frenchman who was born in Versailles to an Assassin father. After his father is killed, Arno is adopted, unaware that his new family holds a senior position within the Templar Order, with his new father figure the Templar Grandmaster. Arno blames himself when his adoptive father is murdered, and so sets out on a quest of redemption that brings him into the Brotherhood of Assassins, where he slowly rises through the ranks, much like Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad and Ezio Auditore as seen in previous games. Arno's love interest is a Templar named Elise De LaSerre (Catherine Bérubé), the daughter of the Templar Grandmaster who adopted Arno, who also sets out to investigate more about her father's death and its role in a growing ideological change within the Templar Order that threatens its core values. Additional characters include Marquis de Sade (Alex Ivanovici), Napoleon Bonaparte (Brent Skagford) and Maximilien de Robespierre (Bruce Dinsmore).

Arno's story will be set in Paris on the eve of the French Revolution. The modern day setting will focus on the Assassins contacting the player and requesting their help to explore Arno in the past, as well as helping in the present. Co-operative multiplayer missions will follow the development of the Brotherhood of Assassins during the French Revolution.

Gameplay:

As the game is exclusive to next-generation consoles and PC, it will enable renderings of Paris to 1:1 scale and crowds numbering in the thousands. Players will able to explore the city's entirety, including seamless interiors and the catacombs, with landmarks like Notre-Dame having a quarter of the building's interior playable. Even empty buildings may have unlockable rooms with treasures inside. When standing on rooftops, a button can display 3D objects like alarm bells to help the player strategize.

Haystacks have been largely removed in favor of allowing players to control their descent from rooftops, and the controls for freerunning up and down are now separate. Social Stealth has been improved upon with a special crouching mode activated by button, and combat has been made more tactical to feel more realistic: counter kills were removed.

Assassinations in the game are referred to as "black box missions," and harken to the style of gameplay from the first Assassin's Creed. Contextual clues are provided to allow the player to choose and plan their own approach, rather than follow a linear, pre-determined path to the target. Unlike previous games however, an assassination is not deemed successful until Arno has escaped after performing it.
Memories

For memories, instead of the player being given a series of objectives, Ubisoft has developed the Adaptive Mission Mechanic, which gives players several potential paths to complete a mission. For example, choosing to stalk a target will lead to a chase if they detect you, as opposed to causing desynchronization.
Customization

The Assassins' weapons and appearance are customizable, while experience gained can be spent on four different specialties: "Melee" (offense), "Health" (defense), "Ranged" (navigation), and stealth. For example, Arno can possess Eagle Pulse, which allows him to sense how many guards are in a location he intends to infiltrate. Like other skills, it can be upgraded with experience points at the player's discretion. He can also unlock a disguise skill to escape pursuing guards. The player will be able to upgrade all of Arno's skills, given his objective is to become a Master Assassin.

There are around 200 choices for Arno's gear, which can benefit gameplay:

• Hoods can decrease a guard's reaction time as well as increase the radius of Eagle Sense.
  • Chest items refer to the Assassins' robes, which changing can increase the time you can spend blended in the crowd, and the time it takes for a guard to detect you.
  • Arm items change the appearance of the Hidden Blade, increasing melee damage and the Phantom Blade's ammunition, but can also increase the time it takes to revive allies.
  • Belts and sashes increase the number of health points and items carried.
  • Pants and boots can decrease fall damage and running noises, as well as providing extra health.

The modern day portion will return, but will differ from the Abstergo Entertainment setting of Black Flag. This time players will play as themselves, being contacted by the Assassins at one point requesting you to explore Arno's memories for them as well as help them in the present day against the Templars. Unity is set to be the first game in the Assassin's Creed series to lack the competitive multiplayer, since its initiation in Brotherhood.

Co-op:

Following the success of Wolfpack in Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed: Unity is the first game in the series to introduce campaign co-op. Up to four players can take on story-based missions including sabotaging an execution, protecting an emperor or assassinating a target. However, the co-op missions will be optional, all story-based, and can be completed singularly as well.

Co-operative gameplay starts at taverns, where the player can see a "ghost" of a friend who is also playing. Approaching said ghost can establish a request to join the friend on their mission, and both will loaded to the mission's nearest checkpoint. Amancio expects players will spend a third of their time in co-op mode.

There are heist missions for the Assassins to steal money. The more an Assassin is detected, the less money will be gained. Amancio commented that the co-op missions will encourage players to work together, thereby avoiding a session from falling apart with gamers who refuse to co-operate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assassin's Creed: Rogue

firmperkyanacondaplunq.gif

Story Synopsis:

The main character of the game is Shay Patrick Cormac, a 21-year-old recruit to the Brotherhood of Assassins who grows disillusioned with their methods and their cause just as his career as an Assassin begins. He is eventually betrayed and abandoned by the Assassins after an assignment ends in disaster, and so turns to the Templar Order, offering his services as an Assassin Hunter. Given access to near-limitless resources, Cormac sets out to exact his revenge, with his actions having dire consequences for the future of the Brotherhood. Cormac has ties to the events that will occur in Assassin's Creed Unity. Appearances from previous Assassin's Creed characters include: Haytham Kenway, the secondary antagonist of Assassin's Creed III; Achilles Davenport, Ratonhnhaké:ton's mentor; and Adéwalé, Edward Kenway's quartermaster in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and protagonist of Freedom Cry.

Rogue is set between 1752 and 1761 during the Seven Years' War and will take place in various North American locations, including the frozen North Atlantic, the Appalachian River Valley, Alabama, New York and Quebec.

Gameplay:

The primary locations in the game are New York, the River Valley and the North Atlantic Ocean. The North Atlantic is an icy water-based region, where icebergs can be used as cover during naval combat, as well as broken to reveal frozen cargo and Animus data fragments. With the help of an ice-breaker ram, navigation is supplemented and additional secret areas can be reached. Meanwhile, the River Valley is a hybrid of land-based and naval gameplay, with seamless river navigation integrated into a map reminiscent of the Frontier from Assassin's Creed III.

• Some mechanics from previous games' multiplayer have been incorporated, such as a compass indicating the target's position being a part of Eagle Vision, and whispers increasing in volume to indicate the presence of nearby stalkers.
  • Environmental hazards have been incorporated in the form of poison gas barrels, which drives victims berserk within their expanding radius; Shay can avoid being affected by pulling a mask over his face. Accompanying this, swimming in the freezing waters of the North Atlantic damages Shay's health.
  • During ship boarding sequences, Shay and his crew must defend the Morrigan from Assassin-affiliated attackers, as opposed to being the boarding party in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. Sea shanties make a return in Rogue, comprised of a mix of old ones from Black Flag and new, composed ones.
  • Hunting returns with new animals unique to the Arctic regions, such as narwhals and polar bears.
  • Characters seen previously in the Kenway saga will make appearances, such as Haytham Kenway and Achilles Davenport from Assassin's Creed III, as well as Adéwalé from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.
  • Unlike previous installments, there is no penalty for killing civilians.

maxcriden

Great thread, and no offense intended, but this is the weirdness about not having an OT up in advance. Hype threads are frowned upon and people don't have the game yet, but they will have it before the game is out, so...I kind of miss the old "week in advance" OT rule.

Ahasverus

No penalty for killing civilians? OMFG Rogue this will be awesome. It's alittle bid sad taht there is only one city, but the story seems promising. Also, he's 21 years old and looks 40. Kind of excited for Rogue. Sometimes the "B" team has less pressure so it might take a more risqué approach to some aspects. Or not, who knows.

Loxley

Great thread, and no offense intended, but this is the weirdness about not having an OT up in advance. Hype threads are frowned upon and people don't have the game yet, but they will have it before the game is out, so...I kind of miss the old "week in advance" OT rule.

This isn't even meant to be a hype thread necessarily. Just a discussion of what we've seen of the gameplay and story so far - since every other thread about Unity appears to be solely dedicated to the technical aspects (and no one is really talking about Rogue at all).

Rogue's story in particular seems like it could be pretty interesting, playing a Templar and all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Never knew that there was no penalty for killing civilians in Rogue.

Corgi

Banned
watched that leaked gamecynde video. Combat looks really bad. Seems so sluggish, especially after just playing shadow of mordor, which is another counter based combat system.

wonder why they still can't figure that out after making good progress with Brotherhood, and making tons of regression with AC3-4.

Loxley

On the topic of Rogue; I really like the fact that you can (and will) be boarded by Assassin's during the ship combat. Going on the defensive fits in nicely with the whole "playing a templar" thing.

Rogue sounds really awesome, didn't expect that at all. (waiting for the PC version hype!)
Unity's story sounds meh(hoping it surprises me), but that 1:1 Paris sounds amazing, alongside all the gameplay updates and customization. I'm also happy they're dropping the competitive multiplayer to focus on the main game.

I lost interest in the series due to how long it takes me to finish games and there being like 5 new games before I could even finish 2. But now I'm excited to get back into it.

Thanks for the topic, dude.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Been dreading playing Rogue due to the following story spoiler that you should stay the fuck away from if you haven't also figured it out by piecing together the timeline.

You definitely kill Adewale :(

Gonna break my heart.

maxcriden

This isn't even meant to be a hype thread necessarily. Just a discussion of what we've seen of the gameplay and story so far - since every other thread about Unity appears to be solely dedicated to the technical aspects (and no one is really talking about Rogue at all).

Rogue's story in particular seems like it could be pretty interesting, playing a Templar and all.

Oh, again, no criticism intended, sorry if came off that way at all. I totally understand where you're coming from with the thread; I was just musing on the rule change in general. :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really interested in Rogue and its arctic setting, but the possibility of it being ported to current gen down the line is too high for me to get truly hyped for it... yet.

The French Revolution is one of the most interesting historical events, and I'm actually in the process of creating a unit based around it for a Teaching College Writing class right now, so Unity definitely has my attention. The last AC I truly enjoyed through and through was AC2 (although I didn't hate 3 and thought Black Fun was pretty fun) and AC:U looks like it's going to be more like 2 than the others, so that's good.

woen

About Rogue, I'll wait until they release the PS4 and probably at 30€. I don't expect much from it since it's not a true core game and probably low budget, they used pretty much everything from the AC3 and AC4 game design and gave fans cool mechanics. I don't know if I can do anymore shitty tailing or earsdropping though, I don't want to fight with the game. It's going to be hard to come back from Unity, the mechanics get old pretty quick.
Also we already know too many things of the story (from AC3 and from the marketing) but we may have surprises. I'm interested in how they'll write the narrative and how it'll affect the player. I mean being a Templar who was trained by Assassins is one way of making use of the antagonism between Templars and Assassins. This was well done in AC3 imo, especially if you read the novel, the small boundary between them and how they can change "teams" to follow their creed and what they think and how to achieve it. I really hope this is a something they thought about for both Unity and Rogue.

Anyone else miss Connor? I'm one of the few that liked him and Ubisoft didn't give him a proper ending..
The majority aren't quite fond of him. I personally found him to just be extremely boring and dull. His had zero personality and left no impression. He's the only AC character that I remember nothing about it. Haytham was more fleshed out and interesting than Conner was within the small section we had to play with him. It always bummed me out that we weren't able to play as Haytham instead of Conner in AC3. AC3 was also the only AC game that I had to force myself to finish. He just wasn't interesting.

Ahasverus

Soooo I was just told the ending and general storyline for Rogue. The game is apparently very good and has zero (ZERO) Tailing eavesdrop missons. It also supposedly feels like an adventure as there lots of towns and stuff. Even some locative surprises. So, SUPER HEAVY SPOILERS

- Shay does kill Adewale
- You visit Lisboa, Paris, New York and Albany as well as lots of towns and forteesses
- You work for Haytam
- The Abstergo emoloyee is promoted to full templar at the end
- Achilles is not a totally good guy. He's very reckless and puts knowledge before people
- Shay is hinted to be the MAIN BAD GUY for Unity
- The ending takes place at Versailles Palace, killing Arno's father and starting the revolution

Well, It sounds very interesting.

stryke

I was watching a lot of Rogue last night on youtube until Ubisoft ninjas assassins got them blocked but I was hoping there'd be a stronger motivation for Shay to betray the brotherhood.
Albeit I skimmed a lot of the gameplay so maybe I missed some of the dialogue but I would have more convinced if the Brotherhood did something to hurt him personally but rather it just seemed he disagreed with his teacher and accidentally destroyed a town rather than having a problem with the brotherhood as a whole.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone else miss Connor? I'm one of the few that liked him and Ubisoft didn't give him a proper ending..
Considering how Rogue seemingly completes the "americas" trilogy with 3 and 4, it would be cool if it had a DLC with Connor set after 3.

Ahasverus

I was watching a lot of Rogue last night on youtube until Ubisoft ninjas assassins got them blocked but I was hoping there'd be a stronger motivation for Shay to betray the brotherhood.
Albeit I skimmed a lot of the gameplay so maybe I missed some of the dialogue but I would have more convinced if the Brotherhood did something to hurt him personally but rather it just seemed he disagreed with his teacher and accidentally destroyed a town rather than having a problem with the brotherhood as a whole.
Well I'm gonna give the details I was told about that (I'm a big AC story fan, joke's on me)
the brotherhood WAS Achilles at that point. The thing is that Achilles knew things would go crazy (because that happened in Haiti) but still insisted in doing the same again in Lisboa. As Shay had to kill men that couldn't even fight back (because they were old and frail) and then destroyed thousands of lives by his hands due to Achilles' orders he thought it was not a noble cause. Still, he didn't abandon the assassins at that point, he just wanted the eden book destroyed; Achilles ordered him dead for trying to destroy the book and all of this brothers tried to kill him. He was left for dead until some templar colonel saved him, however he didn't become a templar until years later. He just agreed with the colonel's sense of justice

According to reddit this game basically redeems connor because
he's a luke skywalker figure, restoring a dead order with pure force of will

Karak

Great idea for a thread. I am reviewing both right now so I can't discuss much but some of the gameplay stuff in Rogue is killer.

suracity

I really can't decide right now...

I like Haytham too much I plan to buy Rogue because of him. Yes Shay and the story all look interesting but to me Haytham is the biggest reason I will buy Rogue.
But the problem is I haven't decided yet if I am going to buy a PS3 version first OR wait for PC version next year...

For those have seen spoilers, could you give a little insight how big a role Haytham will play in Rogue?

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not going to select those spoilers as much as I want to, but I know Rogue has leaked and it pains me because I can't play it until next year! But building from ACIV's base I was probably always going to love it.

Any consensus on Unity's story? The trailers make it seem kind of light and generic. I'm not holding my breath.

I really can't decide right now...

I like Haytham too much I plan to buy Rogue because of him. Yes Shay and the story all look interesting but to me Haytham is the biggest reason I will buy Rogue.
But the problem is I haven't decided yet if I am going to buy a PS3 version first OR wait for PC version next year...

For those have seen spoilers, could you give a little insight how big a role Haytham will play in Rogue?

I dont really think this is a spoiler, but I will tag it just in case. They have talked about it in gameplay previews I believe...
Haytham is in your crew and fights along side you in battles. He is like the Adewale in this game
At least i am pretty sure they have said this

Dr Dogg

Great thread idea Loxley.

I quite like the more involved Templar stories of Unity and Rouge. In previous games we've only really been seeing them from the outside (begining of III the exception). Could be a chance to paint their side of the conflict in a different light. Maybe they're not so bad after all?

Does Rogue have any present day gameplay? Btw can I say I hate this "you are the employee/person" approach in Black Flag which is now also happening in Unity. Not that Desmond was amazing but atleast there was a story arc to him. This first person POV has a seemingly limitless storyline which feels downright restrictive and silly. Just give us a new present day protagonist, Ubi...

Yoday

Never knew that there was no penalty for killing civilians in Rogue.
Yeah, I had no idea either. I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. AC has never really painted Templars as evil, just a different approach to the same goal. I could see them resorting to killing civilians if necessary to advance their plans, but being able to just kill them on a whim seems a bit extreme for the Templars.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
As a big AC fan I'm pretty disappointed that there are two games out this year. Hoping that Rogue comes to PS4 in the summer before the next big AC in November 2015.

Yoday

As a big AC fan I'm pretty disappointed that there are two games out this year. Hoping that Rogue comes to PS4 in the summer before the next big AC in November 2015.
I'm sure it will. I'd be shocked if it doesn't come to the PS4 and XB1 in the spring. They just don't want to announce it and take away from Unity on those systems. I prefer it this way, as I really don't want to have to have two of them at the same time. I'd rather get plenty of time with Unity, and they have Rogue this Spring/Summer.

suracity

I dont really think this is a spoiler, but I will tag it just in case. They have talked about it in gameplay previews I believe...
Haytham is in your crew and fights along side you in battles. He is like the Adewale in this game
At least i am pretty sure they have said this

Thank you. I didn't know that before. Interesting info.
Moreover I would like to know story wise how he is portrayed and how is his relation with Shay..
It's kind of funny that I feel this strong impulse to buy a game for my old console just because of one character. (I haven't touched my PS3 for months) I did hear that there are some frame rates issues on X360. I assume PS3 will have same problems if not worse. I blame Ubi for releasing PC months later, otherwise I don't have to think all over this at all. Ahh!

Serandur

I just recently got my game code for the game (Unity) and am excited to play it. I read part of the OP, but I'm trying to actually keep myself in the dark on the story and the general game mechanics. All I know for sure is Paris is going to be a beautiful setting and I'm still debating whether to play the game in French or English. Arno's story also sounds pretty interesting. Though there is a cynic in me with regards to Ubisoft's yearly release cadence, I am still quite glad to have a game set during the French Revolution and I still end up playing every Assassin's Creed sequel regardless. Paris c'est une belle ville et je suis impatient d'y etre.

Dunan

Does Rogue have any present day gameplay? Btw can I say I hate this "you are the employee/person" approach in Black Flag which is now also happening in Unity. Not that Desmond was amazing but atleast there was a story arc to him. This first person POV has a seemingly limitless storyline which feels downright restrictive and silly. Just give us a new present day protagonist, Ubi...

Yeah, I'd like that too. I always enjoyed the present-day story, ridiculous as it might get, and found myself impatient to see how that side turned out, whereas I wanted to explore the historical side in a leisurely way, slowly drinking in those fantastic locations. I'd like to see them uncouple the present-day story from the progress in the historical side; maybe even let us finish it entirely while the historical part is still beginning.

AC1 and 2 did it best, though. A three-layer story, one of which is pieced together by us players outside the game world. I was totally mindblown by the "Truth" segments in AC2.

ryseing

Definitely more excited for Rogue than Unity, but of course Unity is the one coming to current gen first and I'm done with buying new PS3 releases.

Air rifle, Haytham, ability to kill civilians (!), more ship gameplay...yeah, Rogue looks like the better of the two. Day one for the PS4 port.

Well, I hate to break it to you...

FFP2

"Unlike previous installments, there is no penalty for killing civilians."

I might just get this for that feature alone. Hopefully the price will drop quickly.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is a great idea for a thread.

I hope Unity's story pulls through, because the cast and story of Rogue is far more intriguing, even if we do know where it ends up.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Considering how Rogue seemingly completes the "americas" trilogy with 3 and 4, it would be cool if it had a DLC with Connor set after 3.
I'd rather Rogue switch timelines, like past and AC3 present and have Connor kill the Rogue guy(sorry ain't been following)

Top Bottom