• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Unity & Rogue - Story and Gameplay Discussion

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can anyone that has played Unity tell me f they have actually improved the combat? They say the same thing every year about making the combat more flexible/tactical/nuanced and it's always the same old shit.

MayMay

Banned
Can anyone that has played Unity tell me f they have actually improved the combat? They say the same thing every year about making the combat more flexible/tactical/nuanced and it's always the same old shit.

Well they removed the ability to counter and chain kills together, so thats something.. I guess.

Does Rogue have any present day gameplay? Btw can I say I hate this "you are the employee/person" approach in Black Flag which is now also happening in Unity. Not that Desmond was amazing but atleast there was a story arc to him. This first person POV has a seemingly limitless storyline which feels downright restrictive and silly. Just give us a new present day protagonist, Ubi...

Yes. Someone posted a video of the first 30 minutes, and it is a return to the first person employee deal.

Thats why I can´t get into them any more.

No, I´m not expecting Bayonetta/ Devil May Cry/ Souls-tier combat in an AssCreed game...but it should be better than what every game up til Black Flag had.

Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst.

Thats why I can´t get into them any more.

No, I´m not expecting Bayonetta/ Devil May Cry/ Souls-tier combat in an AssCreed game...but it should be better than what every game up til Black Flag had.

Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst.

Got the PS4 version a week earlier and been playing it for a while, combat is the exact same clunky system, it seems to be even more slowed down.
Some other negative points so far:
- Graphics... well, pretty much same as Black Flag, I really can't see any improvements.
- Those huge crowds that you see in the trailers, that's definitely PC, much smaller on PS4.
- I could see no shadows during climbing. They're there when you are on a flat surface, but not during climbing...
- Occasional random slowdowns, particularly during climbing
- Glitched out of the world 3 times now, had to restart.

So long story short, a typical AC game, story seems to be interesting, better than AC3 at least.

Since I got it a week earlier, couldn't try co-op or any of the social features, even the extra DLC isn't online yet.

Yeah, I'd like that too. I always enjoyed the present-day story, ridiculous as it might get, and found myself impatient to see how that side turned out, whereas I wanted to explore the historical side in a leisurely way, slowly drinking in those fantastic locations. I'd like to see them uncouple the present-day story from the progress in the historical side; maybe even let us finish it entirely while the historical part is still beginning.

AC1 and 2 did it best, though. A three-layer story, one of which is pieced together by us players outside the game world. I was totally mindblown by the "Truth" segments in AC2.
Yeah, you summed up my feelings on the matter perfectly with your post. Maybe next year...

Well, I hate to break it to you...
It does have present day...
I didn't get the chance to see the whole thing but yeah, you're another "employee".
Yes. Someone posted a video of the first 30 minutes, and it is a return to the first person employee deal.
no_gif.gif
no_gif.gif
no_gif.gif

Yoday

I highly doubt it, but has anyone shown a way of locking in an appearance while still being able to change out equipment for stats? One of my only problems with what I have seen so far is that people can start to look pretty bad with pieces of gear that don't go together. I just don't want it to get as bad as the "skittles" effect of leveling in vanilla WoW.

Edit: I just saw the IGN customization video, and while you can't lock in a look and use other gear, there are color patterns that are applied separately. Being able to apply the pre-made color patterns should be enough for me.

Ahasverus

For those have seen spoilers, could you give a little insight how big a role Haytham will play in Rogue?
Haytham is very prominent trough the game as he's your grandmaster. You do a few missions with him and he's ever present in the later half of the game. However, this version of Haytham is not as well written and likable as the 3 Haytham. This one is full on villain. However, this might be actually be good writing, as it shows Connor really struck a chord with Haytham and made him act differently. Connor was the one who benefited the most with Rogue, as...
... More spoilers
It shows that
- He alone resurrected the Assassins order
- He was a BETTER assassin that the ones before him as they were reckless and somewhat corrupt
- He was trained by Achilles to not be like him
- It is said at the ending he's alive in the Unity times (Referred as "Old Connor") and he decimated the templar power in a few years, being perhaps the master Assassin from the americas.

I'm really interested in Rogue. The ability to play as an Assassin-turned-Templar just sounds fascinating, but ultimately I decided to hold off on it until the PS4 edition is released.

I really hope they nail the love story aspect of Unity. I'm a sucker for romance. Paris looks beautiful as well, but I'm hoping it doesn't have a bleak, depressing ending.

The modern day stuff is just stuff I now basically ignore. It's dumb. But they normally nail the historical portions.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well I'm gonna give the details I was told about that (I'm a big AC story fan, joke's on me)
the brotherhood WAS Achilles at that point. The thing is that Achilles knew things would go crazy (because that happened in Haiti) but still insisted in doing the same again in Lisboa. As Shay had to kill men that couldn't even fight back (because they were old and frail) and then destroyed thousands of lives by his hands due to Achilles' orders he thought it was not a noble cause. Still, he didn't abandon the assassins at that point, he just wanted the eden book destroyed; Achilles ordered him dead for trying to destroy the book and all of this brothers tried to kill him. He was left for dead until some templar colonel saved him, however he didn't become a templar until years later. He just agreed with the colonel's sense of justice

According to reddit this game basically redeems connor because
he's a luke skywalker figure, restoring a dead order with pure force of will
ZERO tailing missions?! :O All those 1 star votes really paid off.

Ahasverus

There is a sorta kinda penality for killing civilians in Rogue
Bounty Hunters start chasing you

There's a full playthrough on YT now BTW!

Toa TAK

Banned
Haytham is very prominent trough the game as he's your grandmaster. You do a few missions with him and he's ever present in the later half of the game. However, this version of Haytham is not as well written and likable as the 3 Haytham. This one is full on villain. However, this might be actually be good writing, as it shows Connor really struck a chord with Haytham and made him act differently. Connor was the one who benefited the most with Rogue, as...
... More spoilers
It shows that
- He was a BETTER assassin that the ones before him as they were reckless and somewhat corrupt
- It is said at the ending he's alive in the Unity times (Referred as "Old Connor") and he decimated the templar power in a few years, being perhaps the master Assassin from the americas.
Tears of fucking joy.
Go Connor!

Dr Dogg

ZERO tailing missions?! :O All those 1 star votes really paid off.

Hahaha so I wasn't the only one doing that. I did get conflicted when a mission contain some naval stuff and tailing, 3 Stars usually. I think that was a good mechanic but would have really liked easier access to the community ratings and other stats. They're buired on Uplay and the website I think.

Crossing Eden

Hahaha so I wasn't the only one doing that. I did get conflicted when a mission contain some naval stuff and tailing, 3 Stars usually. I think that was a good mechanic but would have really liked easier access to the community ratings and other stats. They're buired on Uplay and the website I think.
I need to see them as well, need to know just how many people did what was right. ._. As in 1 starring the hell out of so many of those tailing missions.

LeFAIS

I hope somebody can help me out without spoiling anything from the games, but I have a question.

Which of the two, is the true sequel to AC IV?
And I'm talking modern day setting wise, because if by any chance Rogue is the sequel to IV and not Unity. Then I'll be getting both on day one, if not, I'll be only getting Unity.

Dr Dogg

Where can I look at the stats?

I need to see them as well, need to know just how many people did what was right. ._. As in 1 starring the hell out of so many of those tailing missions.

Hahaha well that's a good question. I don't think they were on the Initiates sites but that's down now anyway I assume until Unity and Rouge are out. Give me a sec to have a poke around and refresh my hazy memory then I'll report back.

Ahasverus

I hope somebody can help me out without spoiling anything from the games, but I have a question.

And I'm talking modern day setting wise, because if by any chance Rogue is the sequel to IV and not Unity. Then I'll be getting both on day one, if not, I'll be only getting Unity.

None. Apparently neither game advances in the present day much (They all use different "test subjects"). Ubisoft clearly wrote themselves into a corner and just forgot about whay they built for years and hoped we did too. Because having a roman Godess running around for three years is not a big deal apparently.

It's dead, Jim.

Crossing Eden

First half hour of AC Unity. Spoilers, obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MgLxDGUg8U

ACR is the direct sequel to AC4.

LeFAIS

None. Apparently neither game advances in the present day much (They all use different "test subjects"). Ubisoft clearly wrote themselves into a corner and just forgot about whay they built for years and hoped we did too. Because having a roman Godess running around for three years is not a big deal apparently.

It's dead, Jim.

;_; Why!?

Damn you Ubisoft!

woen

... More spoilers
It shows that

Good to know.
I always was one of the few who really like the AC3 narrative and Connor, far more interesting than the Ezio trilogy (because of the choices, the father/son relationship, the Templar/Assassin mixed points of view...). Too bad they made Rogue 2 years after to fully discover the character.

Subject16

So, I've watched the whole AC:Rogue on YouTube, and I personally think that the story is more interesting and fulfilling than Black Flag.
Now we know why Achilles has a limp leg in AC3.

So reading the coop description it seems that all of unity can be played single player. So the coop oriented missions will then have bots when you play them single player? How do you balance these missions then?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Good to know.
I always was one of the few who really like the AC3 narrative and Connor, far more interesting than the Ezio trilogy (because of the choices, the father/son relationship, the Templar/Assassin mixed points of view...). Too bad they made Rogue 2 years after to fully discover the character.
ACIII turned the Templars into comic book villains. The writing was never good but in III it was rubbish.

Crossing Eden

So reading the coop description it seems that all of unity can be played single player. So the coop oriented missions will then have bots when you play them single player? How do you balance these missions then?
Nah, when you play co-op missions alone you're just by yourself.

Ahasverus

Major difference in fidelity when it comes to the faces.
Graphics are apparently not very good in Rogue. It looks rushed as it should.
Honestly, I think AC graphically peaked at Revelations in last gen consoles. 3 had nice chaarcters models but weird facial animations and low res enviroments. Lovely lightning though. Lack of AA killed III, IV and Rogue too.
ACIII turned the Templars into comic book villains. The writing was never good but in III it was rubbish.
Rogue changes that again. In the past, at least.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Anyone know the ideal order to play through Unity and Rogue?

I'll be playing Unity first anyway, but I'm not sure if one will slightly ruin the other.

Ahasverus

Anyone know the ideal order to play through Unity and Rogue?

I'll be playing Unity first anyway, but I'm not sure if one will slightly ruin the other.
Rogue first, of course.
ENDING SPOILERS
Rogue's ending is Unity's beginning.

Badass.

Anywho vaguely back onto topic, great to hear all the good things about Rogue. Only concern I have is about the length but Revelations was short (well by series standards) and I had a blast with that.
Don't be worried. Supposedly that makes it tighter than any entry since BroHood because it doesn't repeat any tricks. There is also the optional naval campaing and of course the tons of optional objectives and stuff.

Dr Dogg

Well Uplay's website changed. It's actually kind of functional. Couldn't see anything on the main ACIV portal and this is the only glimpse of community wide stats for AC I can find. So consider me a plonker and disregard my earlier post, sorry :(
500+ million hours played!

Anywho vaguely back onto topic, great to hear all the good things about Rogue. Only concern I have is about the length but Revelations was short (well by series standards) and I had a blast with that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Rogue changes that again. In the past, at least.
Eh. I just thought ACIII had terrible writing. Character motivations changed on a dime, the use of the historical setting was awful, and I felt no compelling reason to care about any of it.

Honestly they should just have indulged in what they clearly wanted to do and have an ACII style showdown between Connor and King George wielding a Piece of Eden. At least that would been entertaingly silly instead of just shit.

woen

You clearly missed the prologue, some Haytham/Connor or Desmond/Bill conversations. It's not the Ezio trilogy anymore. I played the game recently for a second time and it was even more striking.

Crossing Eden

Gameplay and story discussion thread. Technical mumbo jumbo belongs to the other threads.
Oi, you're right. My bad. Concerning the story, Arno's sense of humor seems quite good. Getting some Ezio vibes.

Top Bottom