• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At the box office: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
It's depressing to know we are like 3 years away from even seeing the first teaser or production still from A2. Why you gotta take so long, Jim? Stop exploring and re-releasing old movies and get to it, would ya?

I think 3 years of where Avatar 2 stands right now to release is actually being optimistic. 2017 seems more viable for a release of Avatar 2.

As anecdotal evidence goes, i've seen a pretty steady anticipation among my friends for both films. But thats not counting the fact TDKR hasn't even started marketing in this country

Solo

The only certainty for me is that Avengers tracking for $150M+ OW means theres no way in hell I even attempt to see it until after the second week.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
And most of the people in my classes don't give a shit about it. Especially women.

From the Hollywood Reporter article:

The interest among males in Avengers is surging, though females are likewise expressing more interest than they did in Dark Knight.

Then again, superhero films aren't really targeted to females.

Zzoram

From the Hollywood Reporter article:

Then again, superhero films aren't really targeted to females.

Avengers has a guy for Every woman. Hunky brooding young all American, hunky foriegn Aussie accent, hunky older witty guy.

TDKR has hunky brooding guy.

The avengers should be tracking better with women.

OnPoint

Avengers has a guy for Every woman. Hunky brooding young all American, hunky foriegn Aussie accent, hunky older witty guy.

TDKR has hunky brooding guy.

The avengers should be tracking better with women.

Don't forget the all-important gigantic green neanderthal demographic

Wilbur

Banned
I still can't believe how much Avatar made. Even factoring in the 3D, it just seems like an impossible amount of money
for such a shit film

Predicting TDKR to just hit $1b, and Avengers to it around $700m

I think it depends on the age. All my women friends are 25+ and most of them don't give a shit about either of them.

That's because despite bringing it to the mainstream they're still comic book movies to outsiders. And to be fair most of the women I talk to generally don't get as crazy about movies months in advance quite like guys. (And the ones I talk to aren't Twilight idiots so don't anyone bother countering with that example.)

effzee

That's because despite bringing it to the mainstream they're still comic book movies to outsiders. And to be fair most of the women I talk to generally don't get as crazy about movies months in advance quite like guys. (And the ones I talk to aren't Twilight idiots so don't anyone bother countering with that example.)

True.

I do remember talking to some Twilight nuts around the time the first one came out and they were like ITS JUST LIKE BATMAN WAS FOR THE GUYS BUT FOR US!

I was going to argue but I just said "ok" and walked away.

Or maybe cuz Avengers is coming out in two weeks and marketing has ramped up the ass.

nah its more than that its just when you have already used the Joker where can you go?

Dont doubt it will be the better movie but i remember Dark Knight had way way more hype than this.

jey_16

Banned
Avengers will do great business, it doesn't have much competition and it kind of feels like the first blockbuster of the year despite the hunger games doing rediculous numbers. TDKR will still top it but marvel won't be disappointed, I do predict underwhelming figures for MiB3 and Spiderman though, no idea how Battleship will perform.....

Wilbur

Banned
I'd assume the reason the TDKR marketing is quiet is because it doesn't want to be swamped in Avengers overload. So yeah, give it a month or so.

I'd be very surprised if Avengers hit $1b

Yeah Avengers will be pretty big but I don't see it hitting a billion. Domestic is where these superhero flicks make big bank and Dark Shadows (a Tim Burton joint with Johnny Depp) is coming out a week later too.

sharbhund

Fandango's survey of summer's most anticipated movies

Men’s Picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie:
1. “The Avengers” 31%
2. “The Dark Knight Rises” 23%
3. “The Bourne Legacy” 14%
4. “Men in Black 3” 8%
5. “Prometheus” 7%

Women’s Picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie:
1. “Snow White and the Huntsman” 22%
2. “The Avengers” 16%
3. “Men in Black 3” 13%
4. “The Dark Knight Rises” 10%
5. “Dark Shadows” 8%

I'm not sure which will gross more, but I know The Dark Knight beat Iron Man 2, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor so........I'm leaning TDKR.

Let's be honest, people going to see TDKR are expecting greatness. People going to see Avengers are just expecting a good time. I think the higher expectations for TDKR will drive more people to go see it.

Tobor

Fandango's survey of summer's most anticipated movies

Men’s Picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie:
1. “The Avengers” 31%
2. “The Dark Knight Rises” 23%
3. “The Bourne Legacy” 14%
4. “Men in Black 3” 8%
5. “Prometheus” 7%

Women’s Picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie:
1. “Snow White and the Huntsman” 22%
2. “The Avengers” 16%
3. “Men in Black 3” 13%
4. “The Dark Knight Rises” 10%
5. “Dark Shadows” 8%

Wow. Excellent. And no Spiderman on either list? Lol, Sony.

Nizz

TDK didn't accomplish that and it had the most recognizable villain in the franchise. I don't think Bane will be quite the same draw. Still, I think it will do incredibly well.

I wish both franchises success and hope for more great comic book movies in the future.

Oh wait, do I have to completely hate on one while I love the other? Is that the way we do things these days?
Couldn't have said it better. I think TDKR will do better but I think Avengers will do fine. I'm excited as hell for both. Especially seeing all those Marvel characters onscreen together? Something I always imagined as a kid.

The Avengers will hold up on rewatches. TDKR probably won't, in tradition with Nolan's "Amazing first watch, subsequent watch you find all of its glaring flaws".

G-Fex

But it has big stars like first girl from the girl with the dragon tattoo movies, the guy from mad men, and that British black guy with a dozen accents

right...what was I thinking.

Wasn't there somebody in this thread predicting Prometheus over Avengers and TDKR? Lol.

Yeah let's try to think back on planet earth and not bizzaro world

I know a lot of girls wanting to see Avengers for Chris Evans and RDJ (mostly Evans). However, some of those girls want to see TDKR too, not because of Bale, but because they expect it to be good.

All this being anecdotal evidence of course.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Avengers will be big but Dark Knight Rises is going to win it. They been building towards Avengers for six fucking movies people are excited. Then again you have Rises which is coming off Dark Knight which was huge and Inception which will most likely be used in ads. Chances are though Ledgers death helped out Dark Knight but Rises is still a bigger known sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom