• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At the box office: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that record is what? 170 opening weekend?

What did Avatar and TDK do? They each previously held the record right?

Avatar only had a $77 million opening weekend. It was never near the top of opening weekend. It just had several big dollar weekends like that for a while, so it had incredible legs.

The previous record for opening weekend was Dark Knight. Previous opening day was one of the Twilight movies.

And that record is what? 170 opening weekend?

What did Avatar and TDK do? They each previously held the record right?

Avatar did about 77 million opening weekend, TDK did 158 million or so.

Considering the number of screens, theaters, IMAX premiums that have increased since 2008, 170 million is easily obtainable, but TDKR would have to match that fervor that TDK hit. Some would argue Ledger's death (and performance) played a big factor to that. We'll see....unless Christian Bale is sacrificed, then all bets are off.

shira

Avatar only had a $77 million opening weekend. It was never near the top of opening weekend. It just had several big dollar weekends like that for a while, so it had incredible legs.

The previous record for opening weekend was Dark Knight. Previous opening day was one of the Twilight movies.

Major snowstorms that weekend too

Solo

I suspect that Avatar 2's will be Cameron's first opening weekend MEGAHIT since T2. Whatever holds the opening weekend at that time, A2 will break it.

I suspect that Avatar 2's will be Cameron's first opening weekend MEGAHIT since T2. Whatever holds the opening weekend at that time, A2 will break it.

Also, once the date is announced, EVERYTHING will get out of its way and not try to fight it. Of course, movies could benefit from Avatar 2 sellouts, as people want to see something. Anything.

my box-office prediction.
Batman>>Spiderman>>>Avengers

TDKR will do equal or greater than TDK(initially)
Spiderman less than Spiderman 1(total)
Avengers less than Iron Man(total & initially)

quality prediction
Batman>>Avengers>>>>Spiderman

Batman>>Spiderman>>>Avengers

quality prediction
Batman>>Avengers>>>>Spiderman

I'll be pretty disappointed if Spiderman beats out Avengers. I've got plenty of problems with Whedon's writing and direction, but for fuck's sake at least Avengers is trying to do something interesting that isn't the tired old reboot/trilogy format. Nobody needs The Amazing Spider-Man to be made so soon after the Raimi trilogy, even though it sucked. Nobody.

The real question is: will Step Up Revolution be the best Step Up yet or another step down?
Does Step Up Revolution bring all the main characters from past Step Ups into one movie? Cause that would be awesome. They can do one circular pan with all the dancers posing in place.

I'll be pretty disappointed if Spiderman beats out Avengers. I've got plenty of problems with Whedon's writing and direction, but for fuck's sake at least Avengers is trying to do something interesting that isn't the tired old reboot/trilogy format. Nobody needs The Amazing Spider-Man to be made so soon after the Raimi trilogy, even though it sucked. Nobody.

yeah but its Spiderman so it should do good but les than Spiderman 1. I think the reboot actually hurt them and Raimi's sequel would have been bigger though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Avengers less than Iron Man(total & initially)

Given all the current trends/projections, that would indeed be quite a bomba. But not a John Carter one at least, though I don't think Disney could handle two major blows like that if it did happen again.

jett

D-Member
The Dark Knight Rises will easily outgross Avatar 2

because one of those two movies is never coming out

Solo

It's depressing to know we are like 3 years away from even seeing the first teaser or production still from A2. Why you gotta take so long, Jim? Stop exploring and re-releasing old movies and get to it, would ya?

Solo

I guess I'm still upset over the moving goalposts of the sequel release dates. It went from A2 in 2014 and A3 in 2015 originally to A2 in 2016 and A3 before 2040. Ugh. Battle Angel? Never happening.

jett

D-Member
Making Avatar was a long-held dream of Cameron's. Hashing out sequels probably not. I'm guessing they're pretty low on his list of priorities.

As many others have said, I think TDKR will get more money than Avengers, but Avengers will be the superior movie.

Batman just has way too many rabid fans for anything less. I also expect TDKR to be repeatedly upvoted to greatest movie of all time on IMDB for weeks after release.

jett

D-Member
As many others have said, I think TDKR will get more money than Avengers, but Avengers will be the superior movie.

Batman just has way too many rabid fans for anything less. I also expect TDKR to be repeatedly upvoted to greatest movie of all time on IMDB for weeks after release.

u mad

are you one of those that upvotes the shawshank redemption for reasons beyond my understanding? :lol

Avengers will have a big opening weekend from mainly fanboys and families. TDKR will have the legs from fanboys and the more mature crowd, that became invested due to the more intellectual aspect that TDK took that series.

Avengers will have a big opening weekend from mainly fanboys and families. TDKR will have the legs from fanboys and the more mature crowd, that became invested due to the more intellectual aspect that TDK took that series.

Avengers is big budget cosplay. TDKR is a real movie that will change lives.

How big is "The Avengers" going to be? THR says that new pre-release tracking figures over the weekend indicate the film is presently tracking better than both "The Dark Knight" and "The Hunger Games" were at this point ahead of their respective releases - and both of those films opened in the $150-160 million range.

Meanwhile one of the more interesting quotes from the recent L.A. junket for the film came from the film's director Joss Whedon who confirmed that his 'first assembly' cut of the film ran three hours (while the final film runs 2hrs 22mins). As a result "at least 30 minutes" of cut scenes will make the disc release.

Most of the stuff cut was character elements. He tells Collider that "It’s some character stuff but it was more ancillary. Marvel never wanted to take the texture out of the movie, the little moments between people. We wanted, obviously, to streamline it and make it not so long that it became self-indulgent… but the thing I loved was there were so many little moments that I thought, 'They’re going to make me squeeze this out,' and they never did. Once we had the structure down, they really wanted it to breathe and for these things to be as textured as they could be."

Amongst the cut scenes was one in Steve Rogers' apartment in Brooklyn. Another was a "beautiful and poignant scene between Steve and Peggy [Carter] that takes place in the present" he tells The NY Times. He also admits he was the one who eventually cut it - "I was the one who was like, Guys, we need to lose this. It was killing the rhythm of the thing."

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/23600/whedon-talks-avengers-extra-footage

Solo

The Avengers buzz kind of baffles me. I haven't met anyone outside of the internet who is talking about it.

Salvadora

That doesn't really answer my question. Those two can be easily explained.

This is what imdb says:

The simple answer is this: Shawshank has garnered the highest average of votes among eligible users.

But that raises the question, "Why do so many people like/love this movie? Why does it have wide appeal?"

The film speaks to a lot of people with its message of hope, perseverance and purpose in the face of life's struggles. These themes appeal to (and inspire) a wide array of people. The movie's themes are universal to human experience, though they are expressed allegorically in a prison setting that only a minority can truly empathize with. Director Darabont's ability to help viewers see through the prison setting to the deeper life-truths is a major attraction.

As with many films that gained legendary status as years went by, such as Blade Runner and Citizen Kane, audiences acquired their appreciation of it over time. Even though nominated for best picture (and beaten by Forrest Gump), Shawshank didn't do well with audiences during its theatrical release. It prospered only after being released on video.

It is perhaps worthwhile to remember that the top 250 list doesn't really measure what individuals consider the best movies of all time. It measures the collective opinion of the films in which people have the greatest positive feel when they are rating it. People are not voting for the movie against other movies. They are voting for it based on their opinion at the time have decided to rate it on IMDb.

u mad

are you one of those that upvotes the shawshank redemption for reasons beyond my understanding? :lol

Heh, not mad, just stating facts based upon what happened with TDK. I think Shawshank is a terrific movie, but I'm not sure about best of all time. Morgan Freeman's soothing voice is a good sell though! Hell, everyone knows the best movie of all time is Hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom