• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari U.S. Files For Bankruptcy

You think that's bad... Just look at the history of Atari Games... It was owned by Warner Bros., who sold it to Namco, who sold it to Warner Bros., who sold it to Midway, who was bought by Warner Bros.

If Atari Inc. gets bought up by Warner Bros., Atari will be complete once more and under their second owner!

If they went under ownership of the current Warner Bros. that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Dilly

Banned
is this the TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED Atari?

I want a next gen one of those :(

I'm pretty sure Atari is the reason why TDU could've been so much more than it actually was, especially the second installlment that just felt rushed in pretty much every aspect.

Here's hoping a stable publisher with a team like Eden picks up the concept for next-gen so it might actually be a great game instead of just a great concept.

clockpunk

So long as I get a TDU 3 eventually...

Hells, I still hope we might see the rumoured 'third island' DLC for TDU2 (potentially Dubai).

I seem to recall a group of the original dev team splintered off to form their own studio to make an open world racing title... I wonder what became of them...

But Atari is owned by the french Infogrames, right? They even changed the name to Atari in Europe.

Another thing: which are the Atari published games in XBLA and PSN? They will be probably pulled soon.

May16

For a minute I thought the thread title said Kingdom Hearts III is PS4 launch title, November 2013 and I was like "Great!"

Then I read it again and realized Atlus is going under. Man, that sucks :(

stuminus3

Banned
Meh, the last thing that in any way resembled "classic" Atari was nearly 20 years ago anyway.

atari-1_zps7a412e39.png

Oh shit! Let's do it, GAF!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
they got Test Drive and Alone in the Dark IP,I can see some publishers want to get that.

don't they own Outcast too?

M-PG71C

Atari Inc (1972-1984) is the "original" Atari. Nolan Bushnell founded it, and then he sold it to Warner, and then Warner milked the Atari 2600 until the industry crashed.

Warner broke Atari in two and sold the console division (as well as the main "Atari" name) to the Tramiel Family, but Warner kept the arcade division, which they renamed "Atari Games" because they considered what they kept to be a minority spinoff.

Atari Corporation (1984-1996) was the Tramiel-owned company that made the Jaguar and Lynx.

Atari Games (1984-2003) was the arcade division, but they made NES games under the name "Tengen" (and got sued by Nintendo) because they weren't allowed to use the "Atari" name in the console world. Time-Warner eventually sold this arcade division to Williams/Midway. They stopped using the "Atari Games" name, preferring Midway, and Warner Bros got it all back when they bought Williams/Midway.

After Atari Corporation (Tramiel family, makes of the Jaguar) went out of business, Hasbro bought it, and they later sold it to the French company Infogrames, who changed their name to Atari.

The "Atari USA" in this story is the US subsidiary of the French company. The American division of this company is apparently profitable and holding up their failing French parent, so the successful American division wants to declare bankruptcy (WTF?) in order to break away and get out from under their failing parent. I'm not sure how that works, and I have no idea what that means to the future of the Atari name (which is owned by the failing parent).

Son of a gun, well that makes sense now. Maybe they will come out of this stronger in the end though.

Seriously . . . how many times has a company with the name Atari gone bankrupt? It is a cursed trademark. Damn you Blade Runner!

I didn't know Atari was still operating. It had been so long since I've seen anything from them.

Well . . . THQ down. Atari down. And the console transition has just begun. Who's next? Some of those Japanese companies must be pretty weak.

Snaku

Banned
Can we make a Kickstarter to buy out the Atari name and make a new console with input from Bushnell and Vendel? The world is ready for the second coming.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'd love a nice, clear breakdown of exactly how the rights to the pre-WB split arcade titles exist... mainly because both halves of Atari have released arcade collections containing those titles.

Ok, serious question, so its this Atari the one of Roller Coaster Tycoon? because the one of RCT was infogrames, and that is the french one, that seems is the on still going, but I want clarification.

Roller Coaster Tycoon was the only profictable, and the one that made them sell millions of copies, of the games they had now.

Maybe Frontier can buy Roller Coaster Tycoon.

That would be the most amazing thing that would happen to the franchise. Frontier created the ultimate theme park BUILDER simulator with RCT3, and they love to make theme park sim games, I was pretty sure the Coaster Crazy iphone game was just the bases for their new system of building realistic roller coasters (like No Limits) to implement it in a bigger game (that thought was going to be RCT4).
They know they can make the best theme park sim out there, so if they finally have the RCT name, that sells millions PC, for them to have the franchise forever, im more than happy.

I would even kickstart for 100-200 dollars that thing, becuase is my favourite franchise ever, as the theme park nut that i am.

Top Bottom