• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Mad Max

SapientWolf said:
I wouldn't bother. The 5850 overclocks to 5870 speeds without even breaking a sweat. If you need more performance than that then you might as well spend the $140 extra and get crossfire 5850s.

Yes, but you can also overclock a 5870 and the 5850 has some shader processors disabled.

szaromir said:
I realize that. I just really have to budget my gaming purchases, but would like this new hardware at the same time. I have several older games to finish first, but I'd love to play STALKER with 2009 mod on high settings (I assume it'd be enough for 1280x1024 resolution?).

Well if you're only gaming at 1280x1024, I'd probably recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150441

No DX11 and "only" 512MB of RAM but performance is right on par (probably slightly better on the whole, actually) with a 5770 but you save $35 so long as your PSU is upto it.

Chris R

Damn I can't really decide between the 5770 and 5850. The price difference isn't really that much, and the 5850 really does outperform the 5770 by quite a margin.

But then I have to keep telling myself that the benchmarks I'm looking at are 1920x1080 with 16AA/16AF maxed settings ect :lol I'm guessing that a 5850 would be overkill for a 1440x900 monitor (but then again, monitors can be easily replaced :| )

Are there any good OCing guides out there that you guys would recommend for beginners? I want to try and OC my 5870 gpu and possibly my i7 950.

szaromir

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well if you're only gaming at 1280x1024, I'd probably recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150441

No DX11 and "only" 512MB of RAM but performance is right on par (probably slightly better on the whole, actually) with a 5770 but you save $35 so long as your PSU is upto it.
I think I have a 450W power supply, I don't remember exactly at the moment. The reason I am looking for 5770 is because it supposedly produces less heat and is likely very quiet, which is the most important factor for me. OTOH I heard that 4850s and 4870s were roaring monsters (I guess a lot depends on the cooling system).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Binabik15 said:
How much does the power draw increase? The fan noise? Temperature?

I read an article today that ATI might up the price for the 5850? Somebody with more infos on that?
I don't have the exact numbers, but you can use the 5870's data as a starting point and go from there.

The price is almost irrelevant because you can't find the 5850/5870 at any price right now.

Zaptruder

Banned
When do you guys think they'll be annoucing X2 and 2GB config prices and availability?

They've got a 6DP version of the card as well... prototype material? Will we ever see a multi HDMI output version instead?

pestul

Mad Max said:
I'd go for a i5-750 + something like a ASUS P7P55D instead, so you have some money left to use on a hd5870. Because the difference in performance between i5 and i7 is really small, if you plan to use this system for gaming atleast. The difference in performance between a 5850 and a 5870 is much bigger in comparison.

Also, socket 1156 is probably more future proof, if you care about that sort of thing.
Actually, the complete opposite. The 1156 is still a great option though.

Ceebs

rhfb said:
Damn I can't really decide between the 5770 and 5850. The price difference isn't really that much, and the 5850 really does outperform the 5770 by quite a margin.

But then I have to keep telling myself that the benchmarks I'm looking at are 1920x1080 with 16AA/16AF maxed settings ect :lol I'm guessing that a 5850 would be overkill for a 1440x900 monitor (but then again, monitors can be easily replaced :| )
Buy the 5850 if you can find one. I play at 1440X900 and badly want an upgrade from my 1GB 4870 which is going to preform close to the 5770. It is just not giving me the amount of AA I want in certain games without having to settle for a sub 60 frame rate.

Binabik15

SapientWolf said:
I don't have the exact numbers, but you can use the 5870's data as a starting point and go from there.

The price is almost irrelevant because you can't find the 5850/5870 at any price right now.

Really? I´m not familiar with OCing, but wouldn´t the 5850´s fan be spinning faster and therefore louder, because the card isn´t build for this kind of speed? Wouldn´t they cut some costs by adding a weaker cooler to the cheaper card?

Or did you mean "take the 5870 specs" and add a substantial ammount of noise, temperature and power consumption?

And yes, it´s just morbid curiosity and I shouldn´t even be in this damn thread or any other pc threads. Is was trying to decide between ordering a 5850 or a 5870, but on Thursday the store increades the price by 30 euro on the 5870, the cheapest 5850 was also raised by 20 euro. I hadn´t ordered so far, because of an unaswered legal question.

(German internet law 101: Clicking the order button is the actual offer, so the first offer would be from me and the store can agree on the offer by sending the stuff. What I wanted to know was simple: if they honoured the price of earlier orders by sending out or send a new offer by sending the now more expensive product, with me agreeing to the offer by keeping it or declining it with returning the product. That´s the store´s choice, so I wanted to know before wasting my time with an order.)

So I´d have to cough up more money for the same card that probably wouldn´t get to met this month (or year!) anyway, but I simply can´t justify that. I know, supply and demand, but now I think I´ll not buy anything from them (thus lowering demand, ha ha ;_;) until a 5870 is 250 euro or less.

That´s probably right around the launch of the PSWiiBox 420+ :lol

Just ordered a 5770 with free shipping last night. I really hope my 350w powersupply will suffice. Also I'm praying it fits in this damn hp case.

masterkajo

I am trying to get a hold of the 5770 but here in Europe (Austria) it is nowhere to be found. My local shop tells me they "might" get some in stock on the 11th of November...

Does anyone know where I could get one online with international shipping?

Also is it better to by the Sapphire, Asus or MSI? I have no clue about that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Binabik15 said:
Really? I´m not familiar with OCing, but wouldn´t the 5850´s fan be spinning faster and therefore louder, because the card isn´t build for this kind of speed? Wouldn´t they cut some costs by adding a weaker cooler to the cheaper card?

Or did you mean "take the 5870 specs" and add a substantial ammount of noise, temperature and power consumption?

And yes, it´s just morbid curiosity and I shouldn´t even be in this damn thread or any other pc threads. Is was trying to decide between ordering a 5850 or a 5870, but on Thursday the store increades the price by 30 euro on the 5870, the cheapest 5850 was also raised by 20 euro. I hadn´t ordered so far, because of an unaswered legal question.

(German internet law 101: Clicking the order button is the actual offer, so the first offer would be from me and the store can agree on the offer by sending the stuff. What I wanted to know was simple: if they honoured the price of earlier orders by sending out or send a new offer by sending the now more expensive product, with me agreeing to the offer by keeping it or declining it with returning the product. That´s the store´s choice, so I wanted to know before wasting my time with an order.)

So I´d have to cough up more money for the same card that probably wouldn´t get to met this month (or year!) anyway, but I simply can´t justify that. I know, supply and demand, but now I think I´ll not buy anything from them (thus lowering demand, ha ha ;_;) until a 5870 is 250 euro or less.

That´s probably right around the launch of the PSWiiBox 420+ :lol
TechPowerUp showed about a 4C increase on the 5850 during load on an 835/1260 overclock. They then upped the vcore and got the core up to 1000 but didn't give the corresponding temps. But, they upped the vcore and got the core up to 1000. o_o

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5850/33.html

masterkajo said:
I am trying to get a hold of the 5770 but here in Europe (Austria) it is nowhere to be found. My local shop tells me they "might" get some in stock on the 11th of November...

Does anyone know where I could get one online with international shipping?

Also is it better to by the Sapphire, Asus or MSI? I have no clue about that.

They're pretty wells stocked in the UK, I'd recommend importing.

UK etailers include:

www.misco.co.uk
www.microdirect.co.uk
www.ebuyer.com
www.novatech.co.uk
www.overclockers.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk

See if any of them will ship internationally, it'll probably save you a few quid if they do.

Okay guys, I just got a HD 5870. My question is: is it normal for ati cards or drivers to not have a 1440x900 display option? It has 1280x1024 then it jumps to 1600x1200. Wtf? Umm am I missing something?

For my monitor I'm using a Dell 2707WFP. It goes up to 1920x1200.

I'm loving my new 5770. It was a big upgrade from my previous card that came with my HP desktop. Only problem is when i put it to 1920x1080, the tool bar is cut off at the edges, like its extending too far off screen. So i have to put it down one resolution.

Zyzyxxz

TrAcEr_x90 said:
I'm loving my new 5770. It was a big upgrade from my previous card that came with my HP desktop. Only problem is when i put it to 1920x1080, the tool bar is cut off at the edges, like its extending too far off screen. So i have to put it down one resolution.

might be your monitor.

It sounds like it could be stretched too far. Just mess with the settings on your monitor.

MightyKAC

Got my DP to DVI converter in the mail and was able to hook up some Eyefinity action. Was able to make my 3 widescreen monitors (Acer P223w and P224w and Samsung Syncmaster 2233rz ) into one long desktop. Impressions follow...

-Initial setup was pretty easy and there are youtube video's that step you through the process rather well.

-Having a desktop that stretches 3 monitors is pretty cool but not really worth it UNLESS you get the monitor for SUPER cheap (like I did). The desktop real estate is quite functional and it really is a benefit beyond simply nerd cred.

-Playing games across 3 monitors is REALLY not worth it. There's really no hit in performance. But the vertigo you get from you eyes moving back and forth all the time kills the experience.
Tried it with Crysis and Prince of Persia. Never again....

-Desktop wallpapers that span across 3 monitors are nice :D

But yeah, all in all a neat gimmick to mess around with but its not really gonna revolutionize computing anytime soon.

Chris R

The 5770 is really a special card. Smaller than the 4870 and only needs one power connector :lol

Stuck it in my brothers machine, just sucks he is now CPU bound (and by quite a bit). He needs to get an i7 or i5 and 4gb+ ram to really let the card fly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MightyKAC said:
Got my DP to DVI converter in the mail and was able to hook up some Eyefinity action. Was able to make my 3 widescreen monitors (Acer P223w and P224w and Samsung Syncmaster 2233rz ) into one long desktop. Impressions follow...

-Initial setup was pretty easy and there are youtube video's that step you through the process rather well.

-Having a desktop that stretches 3 monitors is pretty cool but not really worth it UNLESS you get the monitor for SUPER cheap (like I did). The desktop real estate is quite functional and it really is a benefit beyond simply nerd cred.

-Playing games across 3 monitors is REALLY not worth it. There's really no hit in performance. But the vertigo you get from you eyes moving back and forth all the time kills the experience.

But yeah, all in all a neat gimmick to mess around with but its not really gonna revolutionize computing anytime soon.
I think the key to games on multiple monitors is to use them more for peripheral vision to enhance immersion. I agree that if you were having to focus across three screens that'd get tiring quickly

so the games need to give you a wider field of view but the gameplay critical fov should still be mostly on the centre screen

Zaptruder

Banned
MightyKAC said:

A few questions... can you run them as three seperate monitors? Similar to normal dual monitors.

What happens when you maximize a window in eyefinity mode? and do you have Win 7? How's the aerosnap features work?

Can you easily transition between different monitor modes? (Radeon drivers use to let you use a keyboard shortcut to change things like monitor output, resolution, rotation, etc... does it still do that?)

Zaptruder

Banned
mrklaw said:
I think the key to games on multiple monitors is to use them more for peripheral vision to enhance immersion. I agree that if you were having to focus across three screens that'd get tiring quickly

so the games need to give you a wider field of view but the gameplay critical fov should still be mostly on the centre screen

I think it's a matter of support. Some games support it fine keeping UI elements centered; the ones that don't have the UI elements stretched across all screens, so for Half Life for example, you get weapon HUD in top left of left monitor and ammo read out in bottom right of right monitor.

1-D_FTW

I know I got into an argument with irfan because I really valued an HDTV feauture that Nvidia had and I've been using for the last couple years. And stating all things even remotely equal, I'd take Nvidia for their better drivers.

Well fucking Nvidia has removed it. I can only use old drivers to get this feature I really use, but the old drivers are giving me fucked up effects with Valve games now. So, yeah, I retract all statements. ATI can't be any stupider than my current situation.

artist

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I know I got into an argument with irfan because I really valued an HDTV feauture that Nvidia had and I've been using for the last couple years. And stating all things even remotely equal, I'd take Nvidia for their better drivers.

Well fucking Nvidia has removed it. I can only use old drivers to get this feature I really use, but the old drivers are giving me fucked up effects with Valve games now. So, yeah, I retract all statements. ATI can't be any stupider than my current situation.
Its ok, no vendor is perfect. Just keep an open mind, Nvidia might fix it in the future, you never know.

Btw, on 5800 availability [H] have an article.

• TSMC is steadily rolling out production of 5800 series GPUs albeit at a slower rate than AMD wishes. There are daily production runs of 5800 series GPUs.
  • AMD’s Add-in-Board (AIBs) partners are currently shipping thousands of 5800 series video cards per week on a worldwide basis.
  • The number of 5800 series video cards that have been shipped into the channel already is in the very "high tens of thousands."
  • While currently there are thousands of video cards shipped on a weekly basis, we will likely see this weekly number reach into the "tens of thousands" come late November or early December. This hinges on whether or not AIBs keep air freighting video cards. The likelihood of air shipments to continue is very high, but AMD does not directly control this.
  • Should air freighting continue we are still not going to see "mass widespread availability" by years end, but certainly supply will continue.
  • Most of these 5800 video cards are moving into e-tail and retail sales while the great minority are going into OEM sales.
  • Expect "well into the hundreds of thousands" of 5800 video cards to be shipped into the channel by year’s end.
  • Expect no issues with 5700 stocks.
  • TSMC is still having some 40nm production issues, but as you can see from the points listed above, production is not close to a standstill and has ramped up greatly in the last 30 days. TSMC also has new 40nm machines as of September and that capacity is starting to now come online.
  • The current mix of 5870 and 5850 cards is running approximately 50/50.

Minsc

Gold Member
1-D_FTW said:

What could be better than being able to pass audio and video from your GPU to your HDTV all with one simple little cable? One of the better features of the 4000 and 5000 series cards... imo, the audio+video over HDMI, the lower idle power, and the power of the 5800 cards make them a very hard offer to turn down. If only they were more available for purchase.

markot

Banned
How are they going to meet demand if only one factory with a 40% rate thingy makes chips for both ATI and Nvidia >_<?

Seems silly.

Also, wtf LaraBee?! Show some skin Intel!

Chris R

Ceebs said:
Buy the 5850 if you can find one. I play at 1440X900 and badly want an upgrade from my 1GB 4870 which is going to preform close to the 5770. It is just not giving me the amount of AA I want in certain games without having to settle for a sub 60 frame rate.
The 5770 was for my brother. I have a 4870 and have no issue with any game I've played yet at 1920x1080 high settings with my system. I'll use a 5870 in my next system most likely though.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Well I put my PC together three days ago and I still can't get my 5850 running with the 9.1 drivers. I have installed win7 atleast 5 times now and the 9.1/9.11beta drivers I stopped counting. I always get the ATIMKDAG/display driver failed to respond but has recovered and BSOD 0x116 STOP display device failed errors. I tried with the GPU in the PCIe x4 slot and that actually ran Sims 3 on max settings fine but it still gave the ATIMKDAG error periodically. Everything runs perfecty fine when the ATI drivers arent installed. :(

Zzoram

Revelations said:
Okay guys, I just got a HD 5870. My question is: is it normal for ati cards or drivers to not have a 1440x900 display option? It has 1280x1024 then it jumps to 1600x1200. Wtf? Umm am I missing something?

For my monitor I'm using a Dell 2707WFP. It goes up to 1920x1200.

Maybe you're not looking at the 16:10 widescreen options. My HD4870 has no problem with 1680x1050.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
Yeah that sounds more like it. They gave some bullshit 90/10 or 80/20 ratio for 5870 to 5850 :lol

The issue is, every good die should be made into a 5870 because those sell for more. With poor yields at 40nm, odds are each die is either borked for a low 5000 series chip or perfect and should be used as a 5870. The 5850 is a very specific, slightly gimped 5870, and if they aren't producing any of those, they have to just disable shaders on a good 5870 die and make it a 5850 for the sake of supplying the channel. That sucks for them and they would prefer not to do that, but it's probably happened at least a bit, hence those overperforming 5850s that overclock insanely.

Zzoram said:
Maybe you're not looking at the 16:10 widescreen options. My HD4870 has no problem with 1680x1050.

Where would the 16:10 widescreen options be? I do have the option of 1600x1050 but not the some others. My current resolution is 1920x1200. But most of the 16:10 resolutions arn't even viewable. After 1280x1024 it goes straight to 1600x1200. It bypasses all the resolutions between that even 1440x900 which is the one I really want. Hell, the reso's don't even show up.

Desktop1.jpg

Zzoram

Revelations said:
Where would the 16:10 widescreen options be? I do have the option of 1600x1050 but not the some others. My current resolution is 1920x1200. But most of the 16:10 resolutions arn't even viewable. After 1280x1024 it goes straight to 1600x1200. It bypasses all the resolutions between that even 1440x900 which is the one I really want. Hell, the reso's don't even show up.

Why do you want 1440x900 on your 1920x1200 screen with a 5870?

Zzoram said:
Why do you want 1440x900 on your 1920x1200 screen with a 5870?

Well you see I play a certain game in alpha state. And it's current max reso is 1440x900. I can't even play the game in other resolutions because it distorts the field of view.

Had no problem with it on winXP. Did a google search and noticed its something with vista but I can't seem to find the solution either.
desktop4.jpg

Zzoram

Revelations said:
Well you see I play a certain game in alpha state. And it's current max reso is 1440x900. I can't even play the game in other resolutions because it distorts the field of view.

Had no problem with it on winXP. Did a google search and noticed its something with vista but I can't seem to find the solution either.

I don't know. I guess you can play in windowed mode and write bug reports at the same time.

Zzoram said:
I don't know. I guess you can play in windowed mode and write bug reports at the same time.

The thing is it's not a game bug. This is system related to what I figure is the vista kernal? It's like vista/win 7 dosn't recognize the specified 16:10 resolutions. And I doubt it's the ati drivers. The driver is the up to date 9.10 catalyst.

Zzoram

Revelations said:
The thing is it's not a game bug. This is system related to what I figure is the vista kernal? It's like vista/win 7 dosn't recognize the specified 16:10 resolutions. And I doubt it's the ati drivers. The driver is the up to date 9.10 catalyst.

Right click your desktop -> personalize -> Display settings -> move slider towards 1440x900

my 22" 1680x1050 LCD has 1440x900

MightyKAC

Zaptruder said:
A few questions... can you run them as three seperate monitors? Similar to normal dual monitors.

What happens when you maximize a window in eyefinity mode? and do you have Win 7? How's the aerosnap features work?

Can you easily transition between different monitor modes? (Radeon drivers use to let you use a keyboard shortcut to change things like monitor output, resolution, rotation, etc... does it still do that?)

When ever I max out apps it usually shows the main screen in the center and filler on either side. Not some freaky stretched out version of the screen as I had envisioned. BTW this happens with Google chrome and VLC and a few others if I can recall....

Aerosnap behaves the same as it would for 1 regular monitor. Except for on the inside border (i.e. between the center screen and the one on the left or the right...) the mouse simply passes through. If I drag a window to the top the app covers all screens. If I do it to the sides, it covers that whole side as well as half the center.

Lastly CCM has a profile manager that lets you set-up saved desktop setting (3 different desktop or one desktop spread out over 3 monitors) so swapping between the in USUALLY pretty simple except for sometimes the display gets a bit wonky and I have to recalibrate resolutions and such.... I don't know of any hotkeys to do the same thing but I'll probably look into it.

Sorry for the Super late response. ( I had honestly forgot about this thread..)

Zzoram said:
Right click your desktop -> personalize -> Display settings -> move slider towards 1440x900

my 22" 1680x1050 LCD has 1440x900

No option available for 1440x900. Could it be because the monitor driver isn't installed?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Revelations said:
No option available for 1440x900. Could it be because the monitor driver isn't installed?

DALNonStandardModesBCD1
DALNonStandardModesBCD2
DALNonStandardModesBCD3

seek that out in your registry and add whatever resolution you want.

LCGeek said:
DALNonStandardModesBCD1
DALNonStandardModesBCD2
DALNonStandardModesBCD3

seek that out in your registry and add whatever resolution you want.

Forgive my ignorance but I never configured registry before. How will i go about it in win7?

kitch9

Banned
rhfb said:

5850 all the way. Once true DX11 shaders start to hit in games that 128bit memory in the 5770 will crush you.

Chris R

kitch9 said:
5850 all the way. Once true DX11 shaders start to hit in games that 128bit memory in the 5770 will crush you.
My brothers budget ended up deciding in favor of the 5770. Oh well but it isn't like he plays demanding games anyways (lfd2 is his next obsession).

RayStorm

So about DisplayPort to DVI adapters... I remember reading that some kind of special, rare and expensive one is needed. Yet I see such adapters for less than 10€. Would these actually work and provide me with a cheap and easy 3 screen-solution?

kitch9 said:

Tbf, a lot of the advancements in DX11 (particularly tessellation) are meant to make more efficient use of less bandwidth, so while I'd still recommend the 5850, I don't think that comment is fair.

Top Bottom